Sad posting - Greatam

FlyerTalker

My wife & I are very saddened to learn of Gina's passing. We met her and her husband during on board the QE2 (crossing from Southampton to New York) in January 2006--she was a member of that famous informal group of intrepid North Atlantic voyagers, the Winter Crossing Club.

Although we didn't keep in touch afterward, I was always delighted to read her postings on Cruise Critic, even when she was addressing a topic that didn't directly concern me. Her style was completely sui generis.

Those who followed her posts here will know that she was a feisty, fearless lady who ran a successful international business and who traveled the world to do work that most of us would find daunting. Her business often took her to dangerous corners of the globe, including Iraq and Afghanistan; I recall one particular posting of hers, from a military base, that went beyond mere travelogue and gave a rare personal glimpse into actual conditions "on the ground" in a war zone.

Amidst this busy life, while dealing with the daily intricacies of her own complex business, she showed great generosity in her willingness to share her extensive first-hand practical knowledge of travel and transportation with strangers online. She didn't mince words, and her opinions and advice didn't always please everyone. (Personally, I found her attitude refreshing.) But she knew that life can only be lived to the fullest when we face the truth and deal with it. That certainly is a quality to be admired and celebrated.

My wife & I are very saddened to learn of Gina's passing. We met her and her husband during on board the QE2 (crossing from Southampton to New York) in January 2006--she was a member of that famous informal group of intrepid North Atlantic voyagers, the Winter Crossing Club.

Although we didn't keep in touch afterward, I was always delighted to read her postings on Cruise Critic, even when she was addressing a topic that didn't directly concern me. Her style was completely sui generis.

Those who followed her posts here will know that she was a feisty, fearless lady who ran a successful international business and who traveled the world to do work that most of us would find daunting. Her business often took her to dangerous corners of the globe, including Iraq and Afghanistan; I recall one particular posting of hers, from a military base, that went beyond mere travelogue and gave a rare personal glimpse into actual conditions "on the ground" in a war zone.

Amidst this busy life, while dealing with the daily intricacies of her own complex business, she showed great generosity in her willingness to share her extensive first-hand practical knowledge of travel and transportation with strangers online. She didn't mince words, and her opinions and advice didn't always please everyone. (Personally, I found her attitude refreshing.) But she knew that life can only be lived to the fullest when we face the truth and deal with it. That certainly is a quality to be admired and celebrated.

Thank you for the touching insight and tribute. I will miss Greatam's presence on Cruise Air. Condolences and prayers for her family.

Karen

I have been hosting this board for 15 years. During that time I admired how she could get right down to the nitty gritty of the concerns of other CC members and is so many ways saved people money and convenience with her advice. People would actually come on here just to seek her out.

Thank you for the update. I feel like I have lost a co-host.

Mike

Thank you for letting us know, Flyer Talker. Like everyone else here, I noticed her absence but figured she got busy and/or drifted away from the board. Her knowledge of facts was very helpful and informative and I appreciated her contributions. It's sad to hear of someone's passing, and yet it does offer closure to all those "wonder what happened to So-and-So" postings on boards where people come and go.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to post a link here. If you can't find it, can you post an email address, and I'd be happy to forward it. Just make one for this purpose only if you like.

Her and I almost cruised together a couple years ago, but remained in contact. If you could please send me her obit budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I too am very sorry to see this. I haven't been here much this past year but read a reference to "the late Greatam" earlier today. Somehow even though we only know people via this crazy cyberspace, their loss can still be felt. I know it's a long time now but if anyone could send me a link to the obit or just post her last name for me, I'd appreciate it.

Goodml at yahoo dot com

Thank you

She kept a good deal of online anonymity (though not complete), and out of respect for that, I'll leave the extent of details on her passing to what I've mentioned. I hope you can understand my desire to respect that, even with her passing.

If you had read post #43, you will see why I did not send anything. And perhaps others have the same feeling now, as the post from 6rugrats that your replied to was from January.

I saw it and I know what I replied to. I had searched to see if I had missed a post about what happened to her. It's acceptable for others to be concerned. Not sure I understand your logic at this point however, that's obviously up to you.

i wasn't going to respond, but will say, it's very sad that such an interesting and vibrant person is gone. You don't need an obituary to remember her. Read some of her posts; I'm sure she would have liked being remembered as the person she was.