MIA for muster

dreaminofmeadows

They're calling specific people? Are you quite sure they're calling them for muster? I always guessed they were calling specific people to get off the ship, like for wedding parties, not muster.

As far as I know, CCL counts the number of people there for muster but doesn't account for individuals.

Last cruise I was on, in August on Princess, they scanned the sign and sail cards.

On various other cruises they've done a roll-call or checked you off as you got there.

It seems to change from cruise to cruise, line to line.

On my cruise last month they just counted the number of people. I wondered how they would know who skipped. I guess the stewards could check the staterooms but I am sure one could find some place to hide that is easily overlooked in a cursory check if they were determined.

Well, in the old days on RCCL, you lined up out in the hot sun (with your life-vest on) after the crew checked your name off of a clip-board list. Now, they scan your sea-pass, as you gather in your designated interior muster station -- at least, on X. Don't think I've ever heard passenger names being called over the loudspeaker, on either line. Bottom line: if your name was not checked off the "list", you got a "special invitation" to attend your own muster drill, the next day.

PS -- Paul, I'd LOVE to do a b2b on Princess. :cool: RC & X require all pax (including b2b-ers) to attend muster. :(

Edited by wwcruisers

Something that happens nearly every cruise is people not showing up for muster, and the announcements calling those folks to report to their muster station. What baffles me is, how does the crew know who is missing?

On some Royal ships, SeaPass cards are scanned at each muster station. On ships without the scanners, they check your name off a list as you arrive.

Some lines scan the cards, some call out cabin numbers or ask your number when you arrive, some just count the number at the station, and if it is still short after a set amount of time, they will start calling out cabin numbers at that station.

As for "overlooking" someone who is hiding, remember that this drill is training for the crew as well. Those assigned to the passenger drill would be there in a real emergency, and duties include not only taking the muster at the stations, and directing traffic at stairwells, but blocking elevators, providing assistance or search for special needs passengers, and also there are crew assigned to each deck to ensure that the decks are empty. The Safety Manager will frequently post a crew member somewhere as a "lost passenger" to see how the evacuation crew do in checking all spaces.

Princess always scans our cruise card, so they know who is there and who is not.

Keep in mind that passengers on the second leg of a b2b are not required to attend

May not be "required", but on our B2Bs, as well as one cruise with two embarkation ports, we had to attend all muster drills. Maybe each cruise line decides what works best for them.

Princess always scans our cruise card, so they know who is there and who is not.

Keep in mind that passengers on the second leg of a b2b are not required to attend

INCORRECT.

last year on CC there was a huge thread about a couple who were kicked off the second leg because the wife refused to attend the 2nd muster ( she claimed illness)

As a passenger on a ship with about 5% entitled passengers I am very happy that the cruise lines have come up with a computer check to identify passengers who miss the drill.

In an emergency I would not want to run into a passenger standing in the middle of the hallway flapping their arms screaming what do I do, where do I go?

Bob

If you do not appear for Life Boat Drill on HAL ships, Captains will put you off the ship. HAL (and I imagine all cruise lines) take that drill very seriously. I know of cases where people were told to pack and leave and they did not sail. Attendance has always been taken at all life boat drills on HAL. We've sailed them since about 1991 and they were taking attendance then.

Edited by sail7seas

INCORRECT.

last year on CC there was a huge thread about a couple who were kicked off the second leg because the wife refused to attend the 2nd muster ( she claimed illness)

If her message was she was too ill to attend muster drill, she must have been too ill to sail. The ship would not want to have such a medical emergency remain onboard seeing they could safely disembark her right at the embarkation port. ;)

On my cruise last month they just counted the number of people. I wondered how they would know who skipped. I guess the stewards could check the staterooms but I am sure one could find some place to hide that is easily overlooked in a cursory check if they were determined.

The stewards do check all of the cabins and public spaces.

Not sure why some lines require you to attend both on a b2b (let's say 7+7 days) but only once on a longer (14 day) cruise.

Because they are technically two different cruises, so in effect everything "resets", ie you have to pay off your bill from cruise number one, then start charging again. The payoff is being able to bring on two more bottles of wine!

All the times we did b-to-b on HAL, we never had to pay our bill after our first segment.

For many years, we had to attend life boat drill for all cruise segments. Then HAL changed the rule for a year or two and we did not have to attend the second life boat drill.

Then came Costa Concordia and we again had to attend life boat drill for every segment, however, we still did not have to pay our on board bill until we left the ship.

Because they are technically two different cruises, so in effect everything "resets", ie you have to pay off your bill from cruise number one, then start charging again. The payoff is being able to bring on two more bottles of wine!

Not all cruise lines are the same.

On my Princess B2B, no 2nd muster drill was required and you could choose to carry over your bill if you wished.