Does it ever get old?

That moment when you first see the ship you'll be cruising on ... is it still just as thrilling as the very first cruise?

I have a friend who texted me this morning from Fort Lauderdale to say she made it down there OK and can't wait to board the ship for her first cruise ... so it's been on my mind all day -- every exciting first view of the ship on each of my cruises. Sometimes, the taxi rounded a building and suddenly there was a great view of the aft ... sometimes I stood in my darkened hotel room looking across Biscayne Bay as the ship made it's way up the channel to the pier, sparkling like a jewel ... sometimes all I could see was just part of the superstructure above all the ground clutter as I made my way to the port. My DD and I call it the "THERE SHE IS!!!" moment -- and it's always such a thrill.

I hope it never gets commonplace. I want it to always be as big a thrill as it was the first time I spotted the Sovereign.

My first cruise was in 1984, when Port Canaveral became a cruise port. They had an open house to introduce the terminal, a geodesic dome, the parking lot, which was a big field, and the ship, the Starship Royale. We walked up the gangway with what seemed like 10,000 other people, and walked through the ship squashed like sardines. The Pursers desk, the bars, the cabins, the dining room all burgundy and gold., it was like a dream! Best of all, we had eked out enough money for the 4th sailing. We had an inside upper and lower, so small we had to put the little chair in the closet to reach the beds.

That glorious feeling of living the impossible dream comes back every single time, more than 45 cruises later. That first glimpse of even ships we've sailed on before is thrilling. How lucky we are who can sail away from our everyday lives!

Edited by jagsfan

We have been on many cruises and I do get excited when I see our ship for the first time;however, as another mentioned, I don't look forward to packing and getting ready anymore. I try to pack much lighter than I used to and I'm happy when I finally get on the ship, but from the time I book to departure, I don't get as excited as in the past.

Edited by mek

I've been on one cruise and I'd be happy to never go on another. Yes it got old fast.

I love the sea, I love boating, but cruising is none of that. To cruise, is to be cargo.

Not real sure I get you here, if you hate to cruise soooo much why would you waste your time here making all the post you have??? call me crazy?

OMG No !!!! Never...

Been cruising since I was a child with my parents

My whole family are and have been sea lovers and excited as ever each time a ship departs

My only 'miserable' time is the hour or two of seasickness

No phone or internet use at sea either - cut the lines of communication - if I am needed, they can phone :D

It never gets old, I agree with you. :) You know what else never gets old? The first time you hear the "DING!". Good times.

And to others, remember the "Ignore" button is a good way to keep your blood pressure in check and help make these forums a nicer more pleasant experience. Seems a certain someone in this thread was put on my Ignore list a while ago, and I only see him/her when you quote. Oh well! :p

My work regularly takes me to or past Circular Quay in Sydney. Seeing a cruise ship there even knowing I won't be on it makes me smile. That smile turns into a huge grin when I arrive at a port to actually board a ship.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Each cruise is just a new adventure -- for us it hasn't yet gotten old, and I hope it never does. We meet new fun people and if we meet some complainers, we just avoid them the rest of the time. Even choosing a cruise is fun....then the anticipation, and then the excursion planning or just planning to enjoy the ship while others leave us behind on board.

People say the first time you hear the 'ding' is exhilarating, I say the walk up the gangway to get on board just makes me feel as if I am 'boarding the loveboat' to take me away from the day to day drama of my life.

Nothing will ever really replace that very first time I went on a cruise, it was something I had no way to imagine beforehand. We often said, we barely remembered that very first cruise, but we did know we had a good time. It took 12 1/2 years to be able to return to the same ship we first sailed on. But we did, and it gave us a second chance at our first cruise.

That moment when you first see the ship you'll be cruising on ... is it still just as thrilling as the very first cruise?

Sadly, it is not as thrilling as the first cruise. Still, as we approach the port we search the horizon anticipating our first glimpse of the ship! At first sight...we're smiling...