Embarkation times

smileon

I wandered across pricess boards yesterday and discovered this

Our travel Summary states............

Your ship begins boarding at 12:00PM on Jul 20 and sets sail at 05:00PM

It then says further down.............

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If

you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared

transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated checkin

times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard,

enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:00 PM - Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

1:00 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D

2:00 PM - Caribe & Aloha Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & A

3:00 PM - Marina & Riviera Decks - Cabins on this deck begin with M & R

I don't think we will be waiting until after 3pm to check in somehow after a long drive from the North West - we have NEVER had problems in the past. We'll see I guess when we get there and drop the car off.......hope I don't get 'flared' for this comment!!

Colin

This was posted mid 2015 so it does appear princess are attempting to go down a similar path.

I just noticed the times have changed from the above:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00 PM - Baja & Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L 1:45 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D 2:30 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P 3:15 PM - Aloha & Riviera Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with A & R

That's from my Princess personaliser, the ship sails at 4pm so they have 45 minutes to get 2 decks aboard and mustered up!

Edited by CCFC

I just noticed the times have changed from the above:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00 PM - Baja & Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L 1:45 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D 2:30 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P 3:15 PM - Aloha & Riviera Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with A & R

That's from my Princess personaliser, the ship sails at 4pm so they have 45 minutes to get 2 decks aboard and mustered up!

Which possibly goes back to my original theory long long ago, in a galaxy far far away that if Pando did somehow get things to work after a fashion, that the other lines would follow suit.

There is a finite amount of space in Southampton for cars approaching the dock area, and for humans in the terminals.

I am discounting coaches as they are given arrival times and do try and stick to that.

As the ships have got larger and larger and larger, somebody has come up with a cunning plan. If this one fails they will come up with another.

As they say be careful what you wish for.

Unfortunatly I think the point of we can all turn up at 12.00 had been and gone. There is not the room for that.

I know we will always get the I will turn up when I WANT. but hey when they see others boarding before them, maybe they will reconsider.

Here's a curve ball, if Southamptn is now so congested perhaps some of the lines will consider leaving for somewhere with less traffic and making that their home port instead. Or just moving some ships elsewhere at the busy times of the year.

Problem solved and more choice to the customer.

Here's a curve ball, if Southamptn is now so congested perhaps some of the lines will consider leaving for somewhere with less traffic and making that their home port instead. Or just moving some ships elsewhere at the busy times of the year.

Problem solved and more choice to the customer.

Well Fred (who only have little ships) now leave from all over the country.Dover..Liverpool...etc...

Well Fred (who only have little ships) now leave from all over the country.Dover..Liverpool...etc...

Yes we have used Fred a couple of times where the ports have been of interest and the departure in the North. Perhaps some of the bigger lines could diversify?

With a 4 hour long car journey, we usually leave home about 8am (allowing for delays etc) and after stopping somewhere for a break we usually get to the terminal about 1pm-ish. As long as I get to Southampton a good time I'm not bothered about waiting in the que for the CPS parking,waiting in the terminal or when my cabin is ready. The main thing is I am THERE in time. Once we arrive I feel my holiday has started & I can relax. The car journey always stresses me out a little so I'd hate to leave later just to arrive at an allocated time. It's personal preference at the end of the day & if you're prepared to arrive a bit earlier and wait then that's what you do. The main fact is we have got there & I can see the SHIP!!! :)

Which possibly goes back to my original theory long long ago, in a galaxy far far away that if Pando did somehow get things to work after a fashion, that the other lines would follow suit.

There is a finite amount of space in Southampton for cars approaching the dock area, and for humans in the terminals.

I am discounting coaches as they are given arrival times and do try and stick to that.

As the ships have got larger and larger and larger, somebody has come up with a cunning plan. If this one fails they will come up with another.

As they say be careful what you wish for.

Unfortunatly I think the point of we can all turn up at 12.00 had been and gone. There is not the room for that.

I know we will always get the I will turn up when I WANT. but hey when they see others boarding before them, maybe they will reconsider.

Royal Caribbean are doing the same. We are cruising on Ovation of the Seas in April and our Cruise Planner has just been updated so that you now have to upload a photo and select a port arrival time.

Royal Caribbean are doing the same. We are cruising on Ovation of the Seas in April and our Cruise Planner has just been updated so that you now have to upload a photo and select a port arrival time.
RCI have been doing that for quite a while, asking by what mode of transport you intend to travel to the port and what time you intend to arrive. We were asked that in Feb for our Serenade sailing, but they didn't hold us to it, nor was it printed anywhere on our Setsail pass. They also asked how we would be travelling from the port at the end of the cruise and what time we expected to disembark.

RCI have been doing that for quite a while, asking by what mode of transport you intend to travel to the port and what time you intend to arrive. We were asked that in Feb for our Serenade sailing, but they didn't hold us to it, nor was it printed anywhere on our Setsail pass. They also asked how we would be travelling from the port at the end of the cruise and what time we expected to disembark.

Well with this new system of checking you in by ipad, no check in desks and no photo taking, they are now asking you for an "arrival appointment" time which gets printed on your setsail pass.

I like the way Princess do it. As We are Elite passengers we check in about 11:00 sit in the priority lounge with drinks and nibbles before we get on the ship straight to cabin. We always drive down the night before and stay over. Usually takes 5-6 hours normally to get to Southampton.

We usually turn up at the cruise terminal early with Pando or Princess that will not change for us. If we have to wait we will do.

We are going on a Princess cruise In September and have been pre advised of the new times to embark but does not count for priority passengers.

I also like it at the end of the cruise get a special lounge area to sit with tea, coffee, juices pastries and news papers whilst waiting to get off - very smooth..

Well with this new system of checking you in by ipad, no check in desks and no photo taking, they are now asking you for an "arrival appointment" time which gets printed on your setsail pass.
I can understand that, but at least you get to choose your time don't you? I assume that's so they can estimate how many guests are going to turn up within a specific timeframe so they staff accordingly.

Thomson use Newcastle or Harwich, very convenient for Norway and Baltic cruises and they are cruising again from the UK next year :D

P&O should try Liverpool which is more convenient for northern cruises than Southampton.

Or perhaps people could try a fly cruise. You board the ship when you get there (except on some P&O cruises) and don't have the long drag across the Bay ;)

I can understand that, but at least you get to choose your time don't you? I assume that's so they can estimate how many guests are going to turn up within a specific timeframe so they staff accordingly.

In theory you get to choose your time, which you select from a drop down list. I would assume that as time slots fill up they get removed from availability for selection. So you may not get the time slot you want. I don't know what happens if you miss your time slot. Most likely, as the new process is supposed to be fast (I'll experience it in 26 from now) there shouldn't be too much of a wait

Thomson use Newcastle or Harwich, very convenient for Norway and Baltic cruises and they are cruising again from the UK next year :D

P&O should try Liverpool which is more convenient for northern cruises than Southampton.

Or perhaps people could try a fly cruise. You board the ship when you get there (except on some P&O cruises) and don't have the long drag across the Bay ;)

Dave , you would do well in Newcastle, no jackets required here. In fact you would show yourself up if you had one on. :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As someone that is currently sat in Mayflower I can confirm that they are giving coloured & lettered cards out according you our time slot. It's yet to be seen whether we get in early or not but to be fair, we knew that we'd be early but 'due to personal circumstances' this couldn't be avoided. We'd have to wait somewhere and here is warm, there's a seat & a chance we'll be on early! It's really busy but there are seats despite some people standing up rather than walking along to look for a spot. There's a cafe - not that we need it right now. Having spent 7 hrs in an A&E waiting room last Sunday I can tell you that this is much more pleasant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone that is currently sat in Mayflower I can confirm that they are giving coloured & lettered cards out according you our time slot. It's yet to be seen whether we get in early or not but to be fair, we knew that we'd be early but 'due to personal circumstances' this couldn't be avoided. We'd have to wait somewhere and here is warm, there's a seat & a chance we'll be on early! It's really busy but there are seats despite some people standing up rather than walking along to look for a spot. There's a cafe - not that we need it right now. Having spent 7 hrs in an A&E waiting room last Sunday I can tell you that this is much more pleasant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy your cruise! What is your boarding time? Hope you don't have to wait too long.

We are new cruisers, and this will be our first embarkation from Southampton. We have booked an early saver fare for the fiords on Azura on 21st May, and would like to know how long in advance of sailing we will be given our time slot for embarkation. As we are travelling by taxi from Eastbourne, or driver needs to know in order to coordinate other bookings on that day. Any help would be much appreciated.

In theory you get to choose your time, which you select from a drop down list. I would assume that as time slots fill up they get removed from availability for selection. So you may not get the time slot you want. I don't know what happens if you miss your time slot. Most likely, as the new process is supposed to be fast (I'll experience it in 26 from now) there shouldn't be too much of a wait

If you don't select a time then your setsail pass states boarding between 11:30 and 3pm. However I chose 11:00 for my Ovation sailing, so I can check out from the Holiday Inn and just wander across ro the terminal. My picture has been uploaded, so I'm hoping to be on board by 11:15

Edited by besberry
Correction

If you don't select a time then your setsail pass states boarding between 11:30 and 3pm. However I chose 11:00 for my Ovation sailing, so I can check out from the Holiday Inn and just wander across ro the terminal. My picture has been uploaded, so I'm hoping to be on board by 11:15

Mick,

Hope you have as good a cruise as our Anthem trip last year! Are you going to do the Puzzle Room again and pretend you don't know the answers??? Hope you are keeping well.

Kev & Den.

Edited by kevinyork

That's strange because when I hadn't selected an arrival time my setsail pass showed no time at all.

Now if only they would get the entertainment sorted and bookable everyone on our 22 April thread would be happy bunnies.