Embarkation times

smileon

Not all lines. Fred Olsen do not board until 1400 and you don't get lunch. That doesn't bother us either!

Its a lot easier when you have small ships P&O used to start boarding at 2pm when Aurora was the biggest ship and no lunch was provided.

It may well be a comprehensive description but it still does not answer the question as to why P&O cannot commence boarding until 12:30 when other cruise lines, with similar or bigger ships, aim to open by 11:00, or even earlier if they are ready.

This means that they have almost 5 hours to board their passengers, as against 3 hours for P&O, which is why P&O's new system still seems to produce more congestion than the US based lines.

I want to be on board as soon as possible and really don't care if the cabin is ready or the luggage waiting for me. If P&O really want to improve the boarding experience they need to change 3 things;

Start the boarding process at 11:00.

Change to the ABP parking system where the car stays where you park it and you don't need to wait for a CPS valet driver.

And most importantly, have security at the front of the terminal where any delays do not slow down or stop the check-in desks.

My experience with Princess sailing from Southampton a lot of passengers have flights to catch, mainly to America, so disembark earlier than what is the usual time on P&O. Therefore they can start cleaning staterooms earlier so then can be ready for boarding the new passengers earlier. P&O with the exception of self disembarkers dont usually start disembarking until 8-30-9.00am where a lot on Princess start disembarking earlier to catch their flights from Gatwick/Heathrow.

I repeat, other lines manage this at Southampton, so I assume the port authority, car parking companies, baggage handlers, crew, cleaners and cruise lines are capable of doing this otherwise they wouldn't be boarding passengers well in advance of the P&O experience.:D

It will be interesting to see if the other lines follow suit once this process is firmly established.

It will be interesting to see if the other lines follow suit once this process is firmly established.
Hope not :D If that's the case it will discourage me from travelling to Southampton to board P&O. I'd rather fly to Barcelona, Venice, Rome (for Civitavecchia), Orlando (for Port Canaveral), Fort Lauderdale, or Miami and board a ship at the time of my choosing not the cruise line. As I said, we've beaten this to death, we'll never agree, P&O loyalists will continue to bang the drum for the cruise line and I will never agree.

Unsubscribing now as I'm bored with the topic.

Edited by peteukmcr

Changing these 'three things' would involve such a radical change not only to all the crew and ship cleaners and baggage people and P&O, but also to the ABP Parking system and to the CPS and to the Port of Southampton Authorities and possibly also the City Council, that they are hardly likely to do it to appease those people who are unhappy about not being able to board early though, are they? ;)

Yes, but if others board earlier, why can't P&O, they have the same obstacles surely.

Edited by bee-ess

Changing these 'three things' would involve such a radical change not only to all the crew and ship cleaners and baggage people and P&O, but also to the ABP Parking system and to the CPS and to the Port of Southampton Authorities and possibly also the City Council, that they are hardly likely to do it to appease those people who are unhappy about not being able to board early though, are they? ;)

How is this radical, the port area has plenty of empty space near to Ocean Terminal, and masses of space near Mayflower, which could easily provide car parking spaces close enough for self parking.

Celebrity keep their ships so clean that no additional cleaning of public spaces is necessary on turn round day.

Most people do not need their cabin available immediately so there should be no extra pressure on cabin stewards.

RCI/Celebrity ships still have some passengers on board at 9:30, just like P&O, so no difference there.

Moving security to the first thing you do might need some building mods. but not really insurmountable.

All it needs is a little imagination, something lacking in P&O management.

Yes, the porters take your luggage from you and the next time you see it is outside your cabin anytime from when you board till early evening, so anything you want in the meantime you should carry on in your hand luggage, that is why the first evening is casual.

Hello, this is the first time we have sailed from Southampton. Do we just turn up and hand our luggage over at the terminal?

Thanks

Mel

If you have arrived by car pre-booking CPS Cruise Passenger Services parking is the most convenient way of parking and sorting out the problem of parking and boarding at the same time. Other transit arrival systems like taxis will drive you very close to the terminal.

Regards John

Just a thought and apologies if this has been mentioned earlier.

Why not allocate boarding times geographically? A number of posters make the argument that they have a long distance to travel and a late check in is too risky taking into account the frequent traffic delays we all experience. One which I subscribe to myself. However a computer program which allocates boarding times taking into account your postcode may help to alleviate some of the issues. The further you have to travel the earlier boarding time you will be given.

Why not allocate boarding times geographically? A number of posters make the argument that they have a long distance to travel and a late check in is too risky taking into account the frequent traffic delays we all experience. One which I subscribe to myself. However a computer program which allocates boarding times taking into account your postcode may help to alleviate some of the issues. The further you have to travel the earlier boarding time you will be given.

Sounds like good idea - but we arrived 2 hours later than planned for a QE cruise because of traffic delays between Bournemouth and Southampton - theoretically a journey of about 50 minutes. Fortunately we had time in hand but it has made us very wary!

I think the current; turn up at the allocated time and you will be put through more speedily and if you are early you will not get through as efficiently, system is working well. Special types of passenger, assisted boarding, coaches etc. are dealt with on a sensible basis. If you arrive exceptionally early with a late allotted time you will need to wait and so long as people are willing to hang about because of this I see no problem.

Regards John

It does seem that P&O are the only cruise line to make such a meal about embarkation times. It's for this reason that we try to avoid cruising with them from Southampton.We used to arrive in Southampton around 10.30am and be onboard shortly after 12. Now with early boarding priority being given to all and sundry, I expect our time slot would be somewhere around 4pm.

So if we choose to sail with P&O we would still active at 10.30am and take our chances that we would still be onboard before 4pm.

Brilliant idea, that means we will be first on board. I have only ever come across one person on a ship who had a longer journey within the UK.

It does seem that P&O are the only cruise line to make such a meal about embarkation times. It's for this reason that we try to avoid cruising with them from Southampton.We used to arrive in Southampton around 10.30am and be onboard shortly after 12. Now with early boarding priority being given to all and sundry, I expect our time slot would be somewhere around 4pm.

So if we choose to sail with P&O we would still active at 10.30am and take our chances that we would still be onboard before 4pm.

No Princess are about to start as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I suggest that P&O are gearing up for a new "scheme" in 2017 from Southampton. They will issue everyone with a boarding time of between 2pm and 4pm and then charge anyone who wants to pay extra to board early.

Carnival call it "Faster to the Fun" and charge about £30 per person for the privilege. P&O will open up an MDR on the first day and call it "Executive Priority Embarkation & Luncheon" charge an extra £50pp ... and people will sign up for it in droves :rolleyes:

Where did you dream this up from Dai, Oh sorry which hard facts are you quoting now?;)

No dream John, as I have said only fact.

Came from the Princess FB page they have been doing it for some time for USA for certain cruises and they are transferring it to the UK.

It came from people who cruise with Princess.

Just had another look it included a letter for an Emerald sailing from Ft Lauderdale at the end of this month.

S,o I am afraid it is a fact, unless they are telling porkies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

I wandered across pricess boards yesterday and discovered this

Our travel Summary states............

Your ship begins boarding at 12:00PM on Jul 20 and sets sail at 05:00PM

It then says further down.............

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If

you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared

transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated checkin

times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard,

enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:00 PM - Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

1:00 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D

2:00 PM - Caribe & Aloha Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & A

3:00 PM - Marina & Riviera Decks - Cabins on this deck begin with M & R

I don't think we will be waiting until after 3pm to check in somehow after a long drive from the North West - we have NEVER had problems in the past. We'll see I guess when we get there and drop the car off.......hope I don't get 'flared' for this comment!!

Colin

This was posted mid 2015 so it does appear princess are attempting to go down a similar path.

I wandered across pricess boards yesterday and discovered this

Our travel Summary states............

Your ship begins boarding at 12:00PM on Jul 20 and sets sail at 05:00PM

It then says further down.............

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If

you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared

transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated checkin

times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard,

enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:00 PM - Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

1:00 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D

2:00 PM - Caribe & Aloha Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & A

3:00 PM - Marina & Riviera Decks - Cabins on this deck begin with M & R

I don't think we will be waiting until after 3pm to check in somehow after a long drive from the North West - we have NEVER had problems in the past. We'll see I guess when we get there and drop the car off.......hope I don't get 'flared' for this comment!!

Colin

This was posted mid 2015 so it does appear princess are attempting to go down a similar path.

I'm off on Emerald Princess in May and have the same "advice" for embarkation, its totally ignored at the terminal. If you are Platinum or Elite you can turn up when you like anyway, I'm aiming to have my first drink on-board at noon. They still manage to have cabins ready when you get on, its the same design as Ventura and Azura with the same passenger count.