Notification FRom HAL re: dining on Westerdam 2/20

CruisinChris

How do we find out the size of these groups (Google?). I see that Mercy Me Inspiration group will be on my January 15 Koningsdam cruise and this post has me worried.

We have a group on ours, so this thread made me double check . I googled and then called the company interested in the cruise and they gave me the max capacity. It will thankfully have no effect on our 33 day cruise,

The Holland America website still lists availability for the Westerdam cruise on the 20th; interior cabins $549, ocean view $599, veranda $909, neptune suites $2,199. Anyone want to try phoning in a dummy booking and see if the reservation agent will claim late dining is available?

Thanks Sail, this helps a lot. :)

We have a group on ours, so this thread made me double check . I googled and then called the company interested in the cruise and they gave me the max capacity. It will thankfully have no effect on our 33 day cruise,

Happy to help. :)

It's really lousy when the group is so large the rest of the guests are an 'inconvenience'. It can really impact enjoyment by those not a part of the group.

Calling/asking HAL (or any cruise line) most usually will not provide the information you are seeking. Asking the group is a far better option.

Edited by sail7seas

I believe it's this group:

Westerdam : 20 February 2016 - 27 February 2016 : Caribbean : Inspiration cruises : Sandi Patty & Friends

If you do a web search for Inspiration Cruises, you'll find their web site.

Am I misreading their dates on the website? It's saying the cruise is 27 February - 5 March, 2016.

The Holland America website still lists availability for the Westerdam cruise on the 20th; interior cabins $549, ocean view $599, veranda $909, neptune suites $2,199. Anyone want to try phoning in a dummy booking and see if the reservation agent will claim late dining is available?

Give it a try and let us know.

I have never cruised with HAL and was really looking forward to how they compare with other ships (Oceania, Royal Caribbean, NCL). I've not run into anything like this on the other cruises so my enthusiasm has been dampened somewhat. Guess we'll see how it goes and if other venues can't be used as was mentioned above. Could be the last time we sail HAL.

Am I misreading their dates on the website? It's saying the cruise is 27 February - 5 March, 2016.

Interestingly, I cannot find that group listing on their web site for February 20 on the Westerdam. It was there earlier today but now has disappeared - perhaps they pulled it due to filling to capacity?

I believe it's this group:

Westerdam : 20 February 2016 - 27 February 2016 : Caribbean : Inspiration cruises : Sandi Patty & Friends

If you do a web search for Inspiration Cruises, you'll find their web site.

WOW!

I just checked their website, they are offering numerous HAL cruises throughout the year.

Even if asked directly, they do not respond if there is a large group. This is information they keep to themselves full well knowing most of us who know better would not book the remaining cabins if we were told about the group.

I sent an email to our PCC asking about certain groups on two potential cruises....and I was completely ignored...didn't even get a returned response.....!!

CJcruzer (Carol) list of HAL Dry Docks, Charters and Groups have been the biggest help.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309427

I have never cruised with HAL and was really looking forward to how they compare with other ships (Oceania, Royal Caribbean, NCL). I've not run into anything like this on the other cruises so my enthusiasm has been dampened somewhat. Guess we'll see how it goes and if other venues can't be used as was mentioned above. Could be the last time we sail HAL.

It does happen on other lines, Azamara is often cancelling blocks of crushes within a year because charters.

Ne reason it's so often on HAL is their ships are tailor made size for these group charters.

But this Inspiration group has upcoming RCCL sailings, a NCL one and I believe a Celebrity as well.

Wow that is terrible. I noticed on the group update thread we have a knitting group on our trip, I presume that is different ie not a charter????

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify, a charter typically books the entire ship and cruise so it is only available to their group and no one else.

The large groups that book along with passengers are the issue here.

I wouldn't be concerned with a knitting group. Have seen them on our cruises and they have posed no issue whatsoever.

Edited by kazu

Wait until they take over the Lido Pool!!! It happened to us on Eurodam. There was a large group on our ship (we didn't know about it until we boarded) On a beautiful sea day they took over the entire lido pool for a whole afternoon. No one was allowed in the area and that includes the cabanas. We couldn't believe it as it was one of only two sea days on that cruise. If I am not mistaken they also closed off the Crows Nest several times. And one night there wasn't a show in the showroom as it was being used by the group.

I don't want to book a cruise with any large group.

Just to clarify, a charter typically books the entire ship and cruise so it is only available to their group and no one else.

The large groups that book along with passengers are the issue here.

I wouldn't be concerned with a knitting group. Have seen them on our cruises and they have posed no issue whatsoever.

Thanks for clarifying kazu

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I had my travel agent call and they told him I could eat anytime I wanted between 5:15 and 9 pm. That is so strange when HAL told me yesterday I needed to eat by 6:30. Something isn't right here...

Likely the HAL agent didn't even check that particular cruise and just gave out the general information. Have your TA call again and be more specific.

Edited by Lizzie68

I had my travel agent call and they told him I could eat anytime I wanted between 5:15 and 9 pm. That is so strange when HAL told me yesterday I needed to eat by 6:30. Something isn't right here...

Did they specifically say you could eat at those times in the MDR or did they include specialty restaurants and the Lido?

We just got off a btoB on the Eurodam.....first week was horrible! Over 900 inspiration gospel music fans took over the dining room for late dinner....no one was allowed to eat after 6:30 and there were a lot of very angry passengers who had not been notified....we were all told we were assigned "as you like dining," but as one European couple told the maitre 'd very loudly, eating before 6:30 is not what we like!

People were very angry and unhappy, and the MDR staff was too.....they knew we were unhappy and they couldn't do anything to fix it. The most galling part was that when you talked to people from the group at breakfast, they were all annoyed at having to eat dinner so terribly late! But they had their concert (standing room only) before dinner so they had to eat late. As a result, all shows in the main showroom were late and there were no enrichment lectures during the day as the showroom was fully occupied by gospel.

Never again....I will cancel before doing that again!

We just got off a btoB on the Eurodam.....first week was horrible! Over 900 inspiration gospel music fans took over the dining room for late dinner....no one was allowed to eat after 6:30 and there were a lot of very angry passengers who had not been notified....we were all told we were assigned "as you like dining' date='" but as one European couple told the maitre 'd very loudly, eating before 6:30 is not what we like!

People were very angry and unhappy, and the MDR staff was too.....they knew we were unhappy and they couldn't do anything to fix it. The most galling part was that when you talked to people from the group at breakfast, they were all annoyed at having to eat dinner so terribly late! But they had their concert (standing room only) before dinner so they had to eat late. As a result, all shows in the main showroom were late and there were no enrichment lectures during the day as the showroom was fully occupied by gospel.

Never again....I will cancel before doing that again![/quote']

Oh no....it wasn't the Mercy Me group was it? They're scheduled to be on the 2nd half of our Koningsdam Caribbean cruise next January and they do concerts. :( I've left them a message asking how many will be in the group but haven't heard back yet.