Packing for a 10 day cruise

Lady of the Lakes

Going to the Caribbean in March and would like to know what clothes to back with out going overboard (good one eh?) Number of shirts-pants-dresses-shoes?etc. Help please.

Ellie

Well, for me - 7 shirts (5 t-shirts; 2 dressy), 3 capris, 2 pants (one dressy), 1 or 2 dresses, walking shoes, water shoes, dress shoes, sandals, 2 swimsuits. We do laundry during our trips, so that works for me.

Going to the Caribbean in March and would like to know what clothes to back with out going overboard (good one eh?) Number of shirts-pants-dresses-shoes?etc. Help please.

Ellie

Remember, you can do some laundry on the ship if you like.

Typically, I wear a sundress or maxi dress with pockets and flip flops and I will take 1 light sweater and 2 swimsuits plus a cover up. For 10 days, I'd probably take 7 dresses, 2 bras, 11 pair of underwear. Additionally, I take 1 sleep shirt. If I plan to zip line, I would take 1 pair of long pants and 2 tops to go with it and some athletic shoes. I dress up my black maxi dress with sparkly jewelry so I don't need any kind of evening clothes and we tend to go to a specialty restaurant on the sort of formal night anyway. Beyond that, bring sunglasses, makeup, toiletries and medicine and some bug spray with DEET.

DON'T overpack. You really don't need all those clothes. No one will notice or care if you wear the same outfit twice as it is not a fashion show. Leave room in your suitcase for souvenirs.

I see you are on Serenade Southern itinerary. First of all, HECK YA! You will have the most phenomenal time. We did that cruise in November and have sailed this class of ship several times. You will love the outdoor eating area at the back of the Windjammer - perfect for a late dinner, snack, or dessert and coffee.

As far as clothing, take what you want. The weight is shoes, right? So you could wear your runners if you are taking them to use in port or in the gym, and save that weight for other items. Take flip flops (I recommend more than one pair - I use several and they don't weigh much!). Plus if one breaks you have back-ups. Sandals, maybe one pair of heels if you want, and I wear slippers or flip flops in the cabin (never bare feet - eww!).

I took several skirts, lots of t-shirts, couple shorts, couple sundresses, one LBD and black evening shawl, 2 bathing suits, 2 cover-ups. I wore my jeans on the plane as we were flying from cold weather, but you don't need jeans in the Caribbean (they are heavy, too). I don't wear capris but you will see a LOT of them - very popular and easy to wear.

Remember that your clothes will end up smelling like sunblock; it's kind of inevitable, so for that reason I have specific tops I wear to the beach and in port. I wear different tops and skirts to dinner at night.

Have a great time!!!!! And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! :) :) :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Definitely plan on wear the same thing more than once.

For 10 days I pack: one long sleeveless black dress which I match with a shawl, a lightweight cardigan and a fancy jacket (for formal night), one pair of black palazzo's and tops to go with them that range from casual to a bit dressy. One pair of black dress shoes and a pair of black sandals (which I also wear during the day).

One pair of lightweight cotton shorts, pair of capris, pair of gym shorts (which I wear over bathing suit and add a sun shirt instead of bringing a cover-up), one pair of jogging pants (late night comfort). Three golf shirts, two sleeveless tops, one lightweight sweatshirt and a lightweight jacket for day or evening (it can get cool on the deck on sea days).

Having an overly heavy suitcase is not fun so I make clothing decisions based on the weight of the clothing and the ability to use it more than once on a cruise.

Have a great time. Don't forget your sunscreen and a hat.

Please Note: Ellie (OP) will be on a RCCL ship (Serenade OTS).

Formal nights won't be all that formal.

There are no laundry rooms for passenger use so anything to be cleaned must be sent out.

I do hand wash my undies and can make do with just a few for even a two week cruise. I also have some swimmers' sun guard shirts that I wash out by hand and wash and wear throughout the cruise for daytime and a couple lightweight pants that will dry out in a few hours. These are great for excursions or just for wearing around the ship in the daytime.

For evening dress I choose a few solid color shirts and accessorize them different ways. A pair of black and a pair of navy blue pants are paired with those for the cruise.

Royal Caribbean often has a laundry offer half way through the cruise in which you can fill up one large paper bag of laundry for wash and fold. Don't send delicates. This laundry is for hardy men's underwear, socks, and shorts or T-shirts. The price for the wash and fold varies, so I can't offer a guess for your cruise.