Are there discounts during embarking

Mark.Jules

My wife would love to start our cruise with a visit to the spa, and I am considering a beverage package for us. Are there discounts offered during day 1 or are prices the same as buying pre-cruise?

Your wife can volunteer to be a "model" on embarkation day. She can get one of the treatments at no charge if chosen. :)

My wife would love to start our cruise with a visit to the spa, and I am considering a beverage package for us. Are there discounts offered during day 1 or are prices the same as buying pre-cruise?

I find the on board spa prices so ridiculously high that I start my va-cay at home and have spa treatments before I leave for less than half the price. So far, I've booked a mani-pedi and a hair appointment at a local spa. I'll also have a massage at a different local location. Then, I usually get a shore massage along the way, this time in Cozumel.

I do get the beverage upgrade on board as we have the Classic included. Now that is worth the money!

I find the on board spa prices so ridiculously high that I start my va-cay at home and have spa treatments before I leave for less than half the price. So far, I've booked a mani-pedi and a hair appointment at a local spa. I'll also have a massage at a different local location. Then, I usually get a shore massage along the way, this time in Cozumel.

I do get the beverage upgrade on board as we have the Classic included. Now that is worth the money!

Good plan, my wife does similar for her hair and nails.:D

Good plan, my wife does similar for her hair and nails.:D

A 50 minute massage is $140 or $105 on port days - plus tip of course.

Basic manicure is $42 or or $32 on port days - and yes plus tip.

Basic pedicure is $69 or $52 on port days.

Of course, then I have to convert all of that to Canadian....

I don't mind of others can afford these prices but I find it silly.

I too find their prices silly. I get my pedicure done before I leave home. Asked once on a longer cruise about the price of a polish change. They responded that it would be full price. Needless to say, I did not take them up on that. Just touched up my own toes. I can get a pedicure at home for $22 plus tip. My friend did have a pedicure on the ship and thought it was poor quality. Granted, this was with the previous spa operator. Can't comment on the current one.

I couldn't tell you if that is a good price or not, I have no idea what my wife spends on those kind of things but I imagine it is cheaper.:D

I find the on-board spa prices so ridiculously high that I start my va-cay at home and have spa treatments before I leave for less than half the price. So far, I've booked a mani-pedi and a hair appointment at a local spa.

I agree, they are stupidly expensive, plus you don't know the quality of the spa staff on board. I always book a pre-cruise pamper session with my regular beautician a day or so before we leave.

On our last cruise, around NZ, I developed a sore back the day we embarked. I did not want to risk a massage on-board though. Luckily I was able to get a wonderful remedial massage during our first port of call, at Paihia in the Bay of Islands.

Just for fun I've compared these prices, converted to AUD at today's exchange rate, with my (excellent) beautician's pricing.

US $140 = AU $196 (plus tip) for a 50 minute massage, against $99 for a 60 minute massage.

US $105 = AU $147 (plus tip) for the port day treatment of the above.

US $42 = AU $58.80 (plus tip) for a basic manicure, against $40.

US $32 = AU $44.80 (plus tip) for the port day manicure.

US $69 = AU $96.60 (plus tip) for a basic pedicure, against $45.

US $52 - AU $72.80 (plus tip) for the port day pedicure.

What sort of tip is expected? 15%? More?

the Spa does not generally have appointments the first day until after sailaway or later as they instead offer tours. they do however usually run raffles for free or discounted services in the afternoon. any 'deals' are for port days only( most popular is pick any three 20 minute services for like $99)

the never offer discounts on drink packages unless you are a loyalty member and that is a perk. you pay the set rate per day and there must be at least 4 days left on the cruise

very silly. I pay under $70 including tip at home. $80 if I spring for Bio Freeze or aromatherapy.

I really hate how you sign up for X treatment but when you get there they tell you that based on your paperwork that you filled out that you really need( * twice as expensive) Y Treatment. and I was only about 50% successful at the "NO HARD SELL" ultimatum.