No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

and nothing on the website says the porch is Suites pax only on port days (lunch)

It is a Fee restaurant. Perhaps the difference is Suite class don't pay the upcharge$?

Yes--suite passengers eating lunch for free in a pay venue is what people are talking about. It was Bistro on 5; now someone says it's The Porch since BO5 is no longer a lunch venue on the Reflection. Anyone else can still pay the fee and eat at The Porch.

We're waiting to disembark Reflection now, with lots of new food-related info and photos to share. Regarding Sushi on 5, the pop-up title is just marketing. They are holding tastings and meetings with senior management this week to decide whether to roll out the new restaurant fleet-wide. Far too much planning and expense goes into the development of a new restaurant for a ship to ever really do a pop-up theme anyway.

Sushi on 5 was open every evening, as promised, but they also decided to open for lunch on the last sea day. This was also the day when they held the "special" lunch in the buffet, with ice sculptures, special and more elaborate food, and coincidentally, sushi! This was the only time sushi appeared on the buffet all week. The only replacement offered in the buffet during the usual 4-6 sushi hour was "high tea," with a couple of types of canapés, scones, finger foods and desserts.

We ate in Sushi on 5 twice, and I will post a full review later, but for now, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Yes--suite passengers eating lunch for free in a pay venue is what people are talking about. It was Bistro on 5; now someone says it's The Porch since BO5 is no longer a lunch venue on the Reflection. Anyone else can still pay the fee and eat at The Porch.

So instead of the old new Bistro menu with daily specials, suite guests get the mostly seafood menu at porch for lunch..plus the one burger choice?

Never liked the porch during the day...depending on ship's direction, it can be an oppressively hot venue...

Seems we will stay with AQ for now, unless they ruin BLU...but now with BLU sushi, we have no decent lunch place...other than AQ spa cafe which is getting too crowded or MDR, also crowded & slow! Guess it's back to the buffet!

So instead of the old new Bistro menu with daily specials, suite guests get the mostly seafood menu at porch for lunch..plus the one burger choice?

Never liked the porch during the day...depending on ship's direction, it can be an oppressively hot venue...

Seems we will stay with AQ for now, unless they ruin BLU...but now with BLU sushi, we have no decent lunch place...other than AQ spa cafe which is getting too crowded or MDR, also crowded & slow! Guess it's back to the buffet!

The mast grill is your friend :)

Lunch is definitely a problem on port days if you don't want to eat in the buffet. We loved the Porch and ate lunch there every day, but they don't open until 3 on port days, which makes for a rather late lunch. We worked around it by doing late dinners as well, but it was rather frustrating. I would think Celebrity could make money by opening Luminae to non-suite guests at lunch on port days (for a fee) - this might also be a good way to tempt people to upgrade to the suite experience for their next cruise, while keeping current suite passengers happy by providing the lunch they promised.

[/color]

I'm seeking the official word from someone who has recently been on the Reflection. Is "Sushi on 5" a set price or is it a la cart? Either way -- what is the cost, please?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Cruizinggirl,

As we already have a thread on this topic, I've moved your post here. Sushi on Five pricing is A la Carte. Here's a link to the menu, which Celebrity graciously provided : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49192484&postcount=167

Hope this helps !

If Celebrity's intention is that whatever the theme for the fee-paying Pop-Up in Bistro on 5 disappears from free buffet, I hope the pop up Sushi is a big success for them. Of all the food options in the buffet, the Sushi is the one we will shed the fewest tears over should it go.

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Everyone,

Here's the Sushi on Five menu. Enjoy !

Note : When I converted the file to .jpg (so I could post it on here) the fish images became very pronounced, and I'm unable fix this. However, I'm able to view the menu, and hope this works for you.

[URL=http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/hostandy/media/Celebrity%20Cruises/Sushi%20on%20Five/Page%201_zpscpkxw0nd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah16/hostandy/Celebrity%20Cruises/Sushi%20on%20Five/Page%201_zpscpkxw0nd.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/hostandy/media/Celebrity%20Cruises/Sushi%20on%20Five/Page%202_zpsrmdppkd6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah16/hostandy/Celebrity%20Cruises/Sushi%20on%20Five/Page%202_zpsrmdppkd6.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I would order two of the sashimi plates ($16) and one roll ($10-11)....$26/$27 plus tip pp. If it's a normal size roll with good fish, that's about what is charged locally in the better sushi restaurants. I see three Saki's offered by the glass that would be on the classic drink package and two more if you have the premium package.

Looks pretty good to me.

Yes, I understand that I've already paid for dinner so this is "in addition" which makes it expensive....but that's true of any of the specialty restaurants.

Just got of Reflection 3/5. Great cruise. We didn't eat in the 5 but love the Bistro on the 5 before. Also we didn't eat in the MDR we did the ult dinning. We did hear people complaining about the MDR service and food.

[quote name='clubz']Just got of Reflection 3/5. Great cruise. We didn't eat in the 5 but love the Bistro on the 5 before. Also we didn't eat in the MDR we did the ult dinning. We did hear people complaining about the MDR service and food.[/QUOTE]

If I had the unlimited dining package, I would have to drink lipitor :)

[quote name='cruiserone']Our best friends are on the Reflection and just emailed me that Bistro on 5 is now a sushi bar and The Porch is now a raw bar.

Just thought I would pass the word around.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if this will spread to the Eclipse & other Solstice ships. We enjoyed Bistro on 5. We usually grabbed a good meal there on embarkation day. I love Sushi, but don't know how well it would fly. They had a Sushi bar on the Regal Princess off the Piazza. I hardly EVER saw anyone get anything there. We never bothered. As I said, I love Sushi, but just really can't go for it on a ship. Just me,I guess!

Just off the Reflection. Sushi on 5 was open only in the evening on the first few days but we were told at the CC meet and greet they would be open for lunch on last sea day. We were also told that the plan for future will be lunch on all sea days and 3pm opening on port days.

We went for lunch at 1h45 PM and the place was still packed so there was certainly a market for it even if it is just the curiosity factor.

Food was top notch (although rice was not as vinegary as I like it) and I would have no problems going back on a future cruise.

We were also told this is a "pop-up restaurant" and they may come and go on different ships at different times. We were told to watch out for other 'pop up' spots.

[quote name='ghstudio']The mast grill is your friend :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder!
or room service for the balcony, but some of the nicer items have been removed from that recently!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='SerraG']Oh, this is an interesting idea. I love the concept of a venue that hosts changing "pop-up" restaurants. This year it's a sushi place, but next year it's tapas and the year after that it's a BBQ place. What fun that would be![/QUOTE]

I too think that's a great idea. For those of us that cruise fairly often, it would be nice to have a new venue to try each year. I'm not sure a sushi restaurant is something I would get too excited about, but there are lots cuisines that could be fun. They could rotate the "pop-ups" amongst the fleet and when they land on something that is really popular, they can make it a permanent fixture on one or more ships.

I do think they will have to keep the prices fairly reasonable to attract people other than those with a lot of onboard credit to spend.