If you want a Meet and Great, please show up

SeaBands

I can really relate to the OP

We have about 20 sailings so far (mostly Celebrity) and are booked in Konigsdam.

In January, We had the nicest biggest group on the Celebrity Eclipse at the "Connections" party as they call it. Some groups on past sailings I also attended for 30 seconds.

One of the group did a spreadsheet with attendees at the sail away party, hotels, excursions, pictures, dinners at specialty restaurants, gift exchange, and slot pull which I organized. Some participated, some just came to meet people, very loose.

There was a large group of PAX at the party - yes 1st sea day, with cruise director. Great time. Met such nice people.

But maybe 1/2 of the people showed up for the slot pull (lists, name tags, posting of rules, answering ?s) without letting on (a few were polite and did). It was fun regardless but I won't lead another one.

And another event only one person showed. I felt very bad for the organizer. If you are not sure you can come, don't sign up. Just my opinion.

Would like to attend one on our 1st HAL -- I guess it is like anywhere else -- you will jell with some and not with others. But don't disappoint.

The last time we went to a HAL M&G, one lady (a passenger) was walking around the room telling everyone to "please do not talk about private tours because it might insult the Officers." We were sitting with about a dozen folks and all of us quickly left to the room.

Hank

On Prinsendam last November? Or has this happened on more than one ship?

If I'm not mistaken, usually the person organizing the M&G needs a minimum number of commitments so many weeks in advance. Once confirmed, the place and time is given. That alone makes it more difficult to get attendance. Basically one is making a "commitment" to attend when the time is not confirmed. And as others have said, other things come out in the Daily.

(Most of the M&Gs I have attended have been at 10:00a or 11:00a, on the first sea day.)

I always join in the roll call and have gain much from others' knowledge and experience.

Usually I sign up on the roll call for the M&G but that is different from participating in the roll call. I haven't done any private tours on a HAL cruise but have on other lines - bigger ships, more people, more participation - and we made our arrangements outside the M&G.

Sometime the M&G has paid off in other benefits such as on our last NCL cruise the Group Coordinator Officer attended and arranged for bridge tours for any who wanted to participate - she signed up three days worth in small groups at specific times. Nice.

So to me, Roll Call does not equal M&G commitment. Each is good for different objectives. m--

I can really relate to the OP

We have about 20 sailings so far (mostly Celebrity) and are booked in Konigsdam.

In January, We had the nicest biggest group on the Celebrity Eclipse at the "Connections" party as they call it. Some groups on past sailings I also attended for 30 seconds.

One of the group did a spreadsheet with attendees at the sail away party, hotels, excursions, pictures, dinners at specialty restaurants, gift exchange, and slot pull which I organized. Some participated, some just came to meet people, very loose.

There was a large group of PAX at the party - yes 1st sea day, with cruise director. Great time. Met such nice people.

But maybe 1/2 of the people showed up for the slot pull (lists, name tags, posting of rules, answering ?s) without letting on (a few were polite and did). It was fun regardless but I won't lead another one.

And another event only one person showed. I felt very bad for the organizer. If you are not sure you can come, don't sign up. Just my opinion.

Would like to attend one on our 1st HAL -- I guess it is like anywhere else -- you will jell with some and not with others. But don't disappoint.

Can I ask what the gift exchange was all about? Am I right in thinking that you exchange gifts at a M&G?

I believe my husband and I were 1 of the Canadians that showed up for that M&G that had only 5 of us. I was really disappointed and if I remember correctly, a lot more said they would be there. I kind of was embarrassed to see all the trouble HAL went to with the coffee, cookies, etc. put out for us and an area blocked off for us with a sign saying "Private event" and there are we few sitting there. It was disappointing. That was the worst M&G I had attended. It seems it is usually the 1st sea day and at 10:30 or 11:00 and sometimes something is on that you want to do but you did make a commitment and you should stick to that just like and party you say you are attending. Thank you to the others who did show up....I enjoyed chatting with you.!

Can I ask what the gift exchange was all about? Am I right in thinking that you exchange gifts at a M&G?

Sure

It was my first time participating. Yes, the gifts are exchanged at the M&G.

We just gave names for the person with the spreadsheet (a volunteer who was not the same person who started the roll call thread)

Each person who brought a gift to the exchange got a number and all gifts were brought to the front of the room (Sky Lounge in this case). They were wrapped mostly in gift bags. The numbers were called and participants picked a gift which was opened right there. Gifts were $10-15 and were usually reflective of the hometown of the giver, like a sports team t shirt or maple syrup, book, etc. it was fun.

Hope this helps

I understand gifts are exchanged only if arranged on the Roll Call.

We have attended several Meet and Greets, never had a gift exchange.

I understand gifts are exchanged only if arranged on the Roll Call.

We have attended several Meet and Greets, never had a gift exchange.

We've been to many as well, with only one having a gift exchange. To me it seemed rather silly, but a few people seemed to enjoy it. We wouldn't do it again.

Tom

We have attended about 5 roll calls and I actually organized one and have the lead for another coming up. With that said, on our last cruise I had been on the roll call and planned to attend the meet and greet. It was scheduled on the first sea day. Due to the excitement of the cruise and acclimating to the time change I totally forgot about the event ! I can understand now how this may happen to others and impact actual numbers of attendees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On Prinsendam last November? Or has this happened on more than one ship?

Funny but this did happen on the Prinsendam,,,,,but not last November. I think it was the Grand Med Cruise about 3-4 years ago. So many cruises and its hard to remember which one :). There was also some heated discussion here on CC on the topic with some HAL lovers saying it was "not allowed" to talk about private excursions if Officers were present. Of course that is total bunk...but some folks believe this stuff.

Hank

Funny but this did happen on the Prinsendam,,,,,but not last November. I think it was the Grand Med Cruise about 3-4 years ago. So many cruises and its hard to remember which one :). There was also some heated discussion here on CC on the topic with some HAL lovers saying it was "not allowed" to talk about private excursions if Officers were present. Of course that is total bunk...but some folks believe this stuff.

Hank

Bolding is mine Hank. And, there is no need for anyone to go around as you experienced.

of course it is "bunk" that it is not allowed. It is just impolite to discuss it at that time.

Not only is HAL hosting the party, but there are lot of roll call members not doing private tours. The purpose of Meet and greets are just that - to meet people.

I ask my organizers (of which I am one) to remain behind after to answer any last minute questions so that the needs of a few do not outweigh the needs of the many ;)

JMO.

Bolding is mine Hank. And, there is no need for anyone to go around as you experienced.

of course it is "bunk" that it is not allowed. It is just impolite to discuss it at that time.

Not only is HAL hosting the party, but there are lot of roll call members not doing private tours. The purpose of Meet and greets are just that - to meet people.

I ask my organizers (of which I am one) to remain behind after to answer any last minute questions so that the needs of a few do not outweigh the needs of the many ;)

JMO.

Sort of comes under the heading of "common courtesy" eh?

Lots of roll call members aren't from Chicago. Does that mean it's impolite to discuss Chicago at a M&G? Of course not.

I can see why HAL may consider it inappropriate for passengers at a HAL:-sponsored M&G to be soliciting business for outside tours that don't have a business/financial connection to HAL, but I can't see any reason that simply discussing such tours would be impolite. There's no reason for a ship's officer to be offended by overhearing such discussions.

Lots of roll call members aren't from Chicago. Does that mean it's impolite to discuss Chicago at a M&G? Of course not.

I can see why HAL may consider it inappropriate for passengers at a HAL:-sponsored M&G to be soliciting business for outside tours that don't have a business/financial connection to HAL, but I can't see any reason that simply discussing such tours would be impolite. There's no reason for a ship's officer to be offended by overhearing such discussions.

Agree: we have several private tours planned with fellow roll call members. I was hoping to get last minute details at our M&G. It would be a private discussion with the tour organizer, not the entire group attending. If HAL doesn't even have officers show up any more, I doubt servers would care or feel slighted.

I have been organizing private tours for about 6 years - I make sure I have the email of those on the tour, their last name, cabin number and a firm commitment that they will be on the tour. Via a group email about 6 weeks from sailing I re-confirm and send them as much info as I have. They are also welcome to email me with their questions. Once on board I deliver or hand them a written reminder about the tour. This has worked for me in the past and I will be continuing it on our upcoming cruise. Very seldom, if ever have I had to answer any tour questions after the M&G was over.

Agree: we have several private tours planned with fellow roll call members. I was hoping to get last minute details at our M&G. It would be a private discussion with the tour organizer, not the entire group attending. If HAL doesn't even have officers show up any more, I doubt servers would care or feel slighted.

If they don't have officers there I really don't see the problem. I'm not taking any private tours and I really don't care if others discuss them there if no officers are present.

Good post. Officers officially no longer attend meet and greets and per my experience they were not at any meet and greet I attended. Individual cruisers do not have the right to control the event but I can picture some regular posters doing just that.

Tour organizers and participants can discuss whatever they want. No one is standing and talking into a megaphone.

I personally have not seen elaborate preparations by HAL, I've seen a plate of cookies a couple times. No officers and no crew members present. The last one I attended was in the crows nest where other group events were taking place. A veterans group occupied a bigger portion of the room. On another cruise we showed up in the scheduled location, Mix, then a crew member asked us to move to the Crows nest so they could have something else in Mix.

Good post. Officers officially no longer attend meet and greets and per my experience they were not at any meet and greet I attended. Individual cruisers do not have the right to control the event but I can picture some regular posters doing just that.

Tour organizers and participants can discuss whatever they want. No one is standing and talking into a megaphone.

I personally have not seen elaborate preparations by HAL, I've seen a plate of cookies a couple times. No officers and no crew members present. The last one I attended was in the crows nest where other group events were taking place. A veterans group occupied a bigger portion of the room. On another cruise we showed up in the scheduled location, Mix, then a crew member asked us to move to the Crows nest so they could have something else in Mix.

Yep - sounds like they're definitely fully under the Carnival umbrella... :(

Tom