Experience In Chez Jacques

kitty9

I read this with interest, as I'm considering taking an Oceania cruise.

As a parent of a toddler and preschooler, my options in the cruise world are fairly limited unless I want to fit a "square peg into a round hole" (like taking a 2 year old on Oceania.)

May I vent for just a moment, and decry the lack of "nicer" cruise lines that are also family friendly? Yes, we've travelled on Disney, and will do so again in just a few months, but we have chosen Disney only because they are really able to accommodate children, not because we actually care a lot for their product.

I think there is a niche market for more upscale cruises that can still accommodate little ones with a nursery, in room babysitting, appropriate family dining venues (and adults only ones as well). I just don't understand why folks who cruise with children only have choices of, essentially, Disney or RCCL if they want EVERYONE to enjoy the cruise (including mom and dad having a little time away from kids), or, traveling on upscale lines who really aren't equipped to accommodate little ones, and frustrating others and probably themselves in the process.

As a parent of a toddler and preschooler, my options in the cruise world are fairly limited unless I want to fit a "square peg into a round hole" (like taking a 2 year old on Oceania.)

May I vent for just a moment, and decry the lack of "nicer" cruise lines that are also family friendly? Yes, we've travelled on Disney, and will do so again in just a few months, but we have chosen Disney only because they are really able to accommodate children, not because we actually care a lot for their product.

I think there is a niche market for more upscale cruises that can still accommodate little ones with a nursery, in room babysitting, appropriate family dining venues (and adults only ones as well). I just don't understand why folks who cruise with children only have choices of, essentially, Disney or RCCL if they want EVERYONE to enjoy the cruise (including mom and dad having a little time away from kids), or, traveling on upscale lines who really aren't equipped to accommodate little ones, and frustrating others and probably themselves in the process.

I believe Crystal have programs for children

Disney ships & RCCL are much larger than Oceania ships they have the space for a nursery/daycare programs

When a line specifically states they do not have children's programs nor babysitting services why would you book a cruise with them ?

I believe Crystal have programs for children

Disney ships & RCCL are much larger than Oceania ships they have the space for a nursery/daycare programs. When a line specifically states they do not have children's programs nor babysitting services why would you book a cruise with them ?

I guess part of the issue here is the size of the ship, as Lyn indicated. Smaller ships like Oceania's (even if you are talking about the 1250 passenger "O" ships) rarely have room for childrens' programs. And while some of us seem to be opposed to any children period, I think many of us are opposed to the difficult ones, such as were recently discussed here.

Regarding Renaissance's "no children, no smoking, no kidding", that was what brought us to the line to begin with. As I recall (correct me if I am wrong because I may well be), they had a limit of 17. I do remember one cruise where we were POSITIVE a young lady on the cruise was under this age -- but there was no reason to complain about her behavior. And we mustn't forget that had Renaissance survived, they were planning on amending the smoking and children's ages restrictions ...

Mura

My feeling is you have FAR more choices to sail with children than those of us that prefer a child free experience ... or close to it. Unfortunately for those of us who prefer to sail without kids, we are forced to spend far more $$ selecting the higher end lines which tend to have fewer kids. It's a trade-off because although the experience is quite nice, if you're looking for a high-energy experience with Broadway style entertainment, lots of bars and restaurants, and great nightlife on a new mega-ship you miss out. The high end lines pretty much all over a subdued experience. I like both, which is why I cruise both, but I sure would enjoy a high-energy experience on a mega-ship without feeling overrun with kids.

Families have probably 80-90% of the cruise market at their finger tips, with a range of less expensive options to the higher end lines. Also lines like NCL and MSC have suite only enclaves so an upscale experience can be enjoyed even on a mass-market line.

Think about it ... Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Disney, MSC Cruises, and Costa all cater to families extensively. Some to a greater degree than others, but all will have plenty of kids onboard for the most part and activities to try and keep them entertained (often times that doesn't seem to be the case and the kids are running wild).

For those of us that prefer cruising without being surrounded by kids, it means trying to cruise off season on a mass-market line, but even that doesn't work anymore as kids travel year round it seems, or paying the much higher cost of cruising on lines like Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Viking, Azamara, Regent, and SeaDream Yacht. Even then there is no guarantee that there won't be an abundance of families depending on the cruise ... but the risk is much lower. All these lines combined make up a small percentage of the cruise market compared to the big guys, so the choices are relatively limited, especially if you're on a strict budget.

In the end I feel families with kids have far more options and price points to choose from than those of us seeking a relatively kid-free experience. I would love it if some of the mass-market lines like Celebrity and Princess would actually offer a few adult-only cruises a year. The benefits of a big mega-ship but without being overrun with kids. P&O Cruises over in the UK actually has dedicated family ships, and dedicated adult ships. I think that is a great idea. So far I have seen any US based line do this.

I don't mean to offend in any way, but I'm giving you my perception as an adult in my 40's, married but no kids, and feeling I have limited cruise options. Love the high energy big ships but can't stand all the kids, and also love the upscale ships but feel they are perhaps too subdued and limited for this time period in my life.

Sure - punish all the parents/grandparents who have taken great pains to raise well-behaved and civil children and who want them to have quality travel experiences.

A "quality travel experience" such as cruising on Oceania is completely wasted on any young person under the age of 18. In some rare cases a young person under 18 might appreciate it, but they would be the exception.

As many have said, there are so many wonderful cruise choices for those with small children. Oceania isn't one of them. They have nothing for a young person to enjoy. So allow those of us who choose Oceania partly because there are not a bunch of screaming children onboard to enjoy our little corner of the market. I love children and babies as much as anyone, but I'm at a point in my life I like to choose when I enjoy them. A cruise is not one of those times unless I'm cruising with family in which case we'll hop on Disney. I say one of their ships in Nassau and it was fabulous.

Short of saying "no kids", Oceania does nothing to encourage people to cruise with children. It's a not so subtle hint that that is not the demographic they cater to.

Apparently NOT because we had the same thing happen to us in Qsine on the Celebrity Reflection last March. :mad: Child was probably around 18 months. When she wasn't screaming, the parents and those around her, were cooing and baby talking to her throughout the entire dinner. :rolleyes: They were sitting directly behind me.

We have also run into this in the Formal dining rooms, particularly on ships out of PR, when large family groups travel together.

There is a rule on celebrity limiting children in some specialties by age

I would have complained and ask that it be enforced

From the website

Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Edited by bitob

I guess that since Qsine takes the place of Silk Harvest on the Reflection, it was allowed.

I noticed that you have sailed on Celebrity which is considered a premium cruise line. Just looked them up and see that there are plenty of things for children to do. Did you not like Celebrity?

As has been mentioned, there are so many places for children - on land and at sea (as there should be -- children need to have the experiences and learn how to behave amongst adults as well as children.) However, most high end restaurants and cruise lines passengers do not expect to dine with children screeching or running around. We have seen children on high end cruise lines that behave beautifully. They sit at the table with their parents - dressed appropriately and eating correctly. IMO, it isn't fair to even expect a 2 or 3 year old to either sit at the table for 2 hours or eat correctly.

The average age of high end cruisers is higher (despite what the thread regarding ages indicates....... most women I know would never divulge their age on a public site). Many of us have raised children and appreciate the peace and quiet of Oceania. There are also teachers and other adults that work all the time with children and love it. But, when they go on vacation - even they look forward to peace and quiet.

If you feel strongly about sailing on Oceania, I suggest you do so during the summer, Christmas or Spring Break. This is the time when you will see more children on the ships. Still, you need to understand that running around the ship, screaming, etc. is still not appropriate public behavior. When your child "acts up" (as two year olds generally do), you should remove them so they do not disrupt everyone around them. This could mean interrupting your meal and dining in your cabin. I'm not sure why you would want to put yourself through this but it is certainly an option.

P.S. LHT28: Actually, Crystal ships are not larger than Oceania's Riviera or Marina. And, their children's program is similar to Oceania's and Regent's (no babysitting, no special places for them to play and it is only offered during the summer and during school breaks.)

Edited by Travelcat2

I think that one thing that hasn't been addressed here is the concept of FAMILY & that to me entails crafting a vacation that addresses the needs of the FAMILY as a whole.

Your children are small for such a very little time & why you would not want to do things with them that you will all treasure in a special way escapes me. What about camping, renting a beach house & really getting involved with those precious little ones you brought into this world? Why impose on them an adult experience they can't possibly want or enjoy? Why, having had them, would you require services on your vacation to keep you away from them for great periods of time - babysitters, day care activities - on what is supposed to be a family vacation?

And all of that you demand in a venue that simply does not want to deal with children? For most luxury line cruisers, if we had children, they're grown. We want to return to the days when WE were young & unencumbered, & hope that you'll enjoy that sort of reward after you've enjoyed the many rewards of raising children.

I'm with Mura. And for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would choose Jacques as a place to decorate the table and bring a 2 year old to celebrate whatever they were celebrating. It's about the last restaurant on Riviera I would choose for that sort of thing.

Guess we were lucky; there were no children on our cruise except for one adorable and sweet little boy, the son of one of the Chefs I believe.

I'll give you a clue Heather. When the parents made the decision they weren't thinking about the 2 year old or the other diners in Jacques. Their only concern was themselves.

I feel that my post has been misinterpreted.

Also, I should have been more clear that I am considering taking an Oceania cruise WITHOUT my children.

I am NOT taking my young children on a premium cruise. I am NOT going to be the parent of the screaming toddler in a fancy restaurant.

I am, however, saying that I think there is a small market for a more upscale cruise experience that really caters to families, especially with very young children. Needs on a ship for a 2 year old are vastly different than a 10 year old. There are a few land-based vacations that fit this bill that I am aware of; basically all-inclusive luxury resorts with extensive children's programming, nursery capabilities, and in-room sitting if needed as well. Large pools just for children, zero depth entry for toddlers, all the cribs, high chairs, diaper genies that your heart could desire. Yes, RCCL and some other lines do offer a lot for families, but not much for kids under 3 or 4 years old.

I love camping, but I can't see it really suiting my currently 15 month old child. We did rent a beach house in January, in fact, and I spent the entire vacation cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, basically just like home except a little warmer and a lot more expensive. I was exhausted by the time we got back to our real lives. Sometimes it would be nice for moms (and dads, too!) to get a break and be able to enjoy someone else cooking, cleaning, and helping out with the children, which is why I would like to take an upscale cruise with my family.

We did rent a beach house in January, in fact, and I spent the entire vacation cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, basically just like home except a little warmer and a lot more expensive. I was exhausted by the time we got back to our real lives. Sometimes it would be nice for moms (and dads, too!) to get a break and be able to enjoy someone else cooking, cleaning, and helping out with the children, which is why I would like to take an upscale cruise with my family.

When our son was a toddler, our best and most economical, vacation was to rent a beach house, specifically a beach townhouse with a kiddie pool and a playground. But the real key to success was to hire our son's favorite neighborhood teen-aged baby sitter for the beach trip. We'd go with another family with toddlers who hired their own beach house in the same townhouse complex and who brought their own baby sitter.

The teens were responsible for waking up when the children woke up, serving them some breakfast, and taking them out to the playground until we parents were up. We'd all go to the beach but the teens had no responsibilities then. When lunch time came, the teens would bring the kids in for lunch, and, at least the first year when the kids were still napping stay inside. Afternoon activities varied. A couple of nights, the whole group would go out for dinner, but most nights, the kids ate together at one house. We parents would go out to a restaurant. When we got home, the teens were free to go out, although they never stayed out much past 11:30 PM and under-aged drinking was not the worry it is today.

Somewhat later, we used to take land vacations in the Caribbean as a family, but my fondest memories are of those low-cost family times at the beach.

We still do this! Our annual beach trips have gone from multiple families taking their children to the beach together. We had all ages, and took an occasional baby sitter or cook. Now we all still go, but our children are all grown with babies and children of our own. We enjoy cooking meals, having family time, sitting on the porch have cocktails, and going out occasionally for a nice dinner. Two or three families stay together in a house, so sometimes there can be up to 5 houses rented together at the same beach. Fun, quality times! :)

We traveled on the Riviera last winter with 2 of our grandchildren ages 4&6.

We had a perfectly wonderful time and dined in all the restaurants....at opening time.

There is room for every one on an Oceania cruise, the parents just have to use good judgement and feed their children early. Our kids had a blast, and disturbed no one. Good behavior has more to do with the parents than the children.

We would do this again in a heart beat...Great memories for all.

I love camping, but I can't see it really suiting my currently 15 month old child. We did rent a beach house in January, in fact, and I spent the entire vacation cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, basically just like home except a little warmer and a lot more expensive. I was exhausted by the time we got back to our real lives. Sometimes it would be nice for moms (and dads, too!) to get a break and be able to enjoy someone else cooking, cleaning, and helping out with the children, which is why I would like to take an upscale cruise with my family.

What about an all inclusive resort (Mexican Riviera?) - no shopping, no cooking, no cleaning and just like being on a cruise with a nice beach :)

Yes, we are definitely considering an AI with the kids.

The ones we've found with robust children's programming are quite pricey it seems (>$10k for a week and we haven't even gotten there.) And then there's traveling to Mexico with tiny ones... a direct flight to FLL or MIA is a lot easier than connections, customs, etc. Still, in the running.

Yes, regarding RCCL's lack of excellent programming for young kids... that's why we're not on them, we took the hint!

Anyway, I did not come here to upset anyone, just offering thoughts that a slightly more upscale, less crowded than Disney experience that offers a great experience for kids too, would appeal to us and probably at least someone else as well.

Yes, we are definitely considering an AI with the kids.

The ones we've found with robust children's programming are quite pricey it seems (>$10k for a week and we haven't even gotten there.) And then there's traveling to Mexico with tiny ones... a direct flight to FLL or MIA is a lot easier than connections, customs, etc. Still, in the running.

Bahamas have some AI that are a bit upscale & the fast ferry would get you there in no time

Mind you you will still need to deal with Customs/immigration

Most luxury lines do not cater to small children ..

We swore we'd never, ever cruise -- on any ship, anywhere. But when Oceania offered their very first cruises to Alaska in 2010 and the line was obviously geared for adults, we bit. That continues to be the appeal and we are now getting ready for cruise #8. There is a reason that we cruise and being with a lot of children is not one of them, despite our adorable grandchildren, whom we leave at home with their parents.

I think the problem with a more upscale family/toddler friendly cruise line is that the market is such a niche one that it wouldn't be financially viable for the cruise line.

I've actually encountered a lot of well behaved small children on my travels and in every case the parents, often both mum and dad, are well engaged with the children, paying them attention and seeing to their needs. They keep a close eye on their offspring and talk to them when they need to as well as when they want to. Of course I've met my share of the undisciplined and for a while I thought it was a modern child syndrome till I started observing the well behaved ones and realised that we just don't notice them so much, but they do exist :).

I feel that my post has been misinterpreted.

Also, I should have been more clear that I am considering taking an Oceania cruise WITHOUT my children.

I am NOT taking my young children on a premium cruise. I am NOT going to be the parent of the screaming toddler in a fancy restaurant.

I am, however, saying that I think there is a small market for a more upscale cruise experience that really caters to families, especially with very young children. Needs on a ship for a 2 year old are vastly different than a 10 year old. There are a few land-based vacations that fit this bill that I am aware of; basically all-inclusive luxury resorts with extensive children's programming, nursery capabilities, and in-room sitting if needed as well. Large pools just for children, zero depth entry for toddlers, all the cribs, high chairs, diaper genies that your heart could desire. Yes, RCCL and some other lines do offer a lot for families, but not much for kids under 3 or 4 years old.

Something to consider for families wanting a premium experience: crewed yacht charter. A 60 foot catamaran with skipper and cook (often a married couple) can comfortably handle up to 8 guests. Food and activities custom tailored to your needs. With varying quality and amenity levels (not unlike cruise ships), you will find charter surprisingly affordable. Check out a yacht broker like Ed Hamilton, which is headquartered in Maine (and has excellent reviews - we've used him). Note that I am not recommending a TA here.

A crewed Caribbean charter we did when our daughter was a youngster (along with another family) was skippered by a South African fellow who was an Orvis certified fishing guide with an MS in Marine Biology. His wife was a culinary academy graduate. Everything was just so excellent and the cost per person compared favorably to a balcony cabin on Oceania.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Most luxury lines do not cater to small children ..

And let us pray they never do. I also wish that parents would take the hint;). We've been very fortunate on Oceania and the few children we encountered were very well behaved. But I have to confess I always feel a bit sorry for them and they don't seem terribly happy. Yet looking over at the Disney ship last week I saw parents and children having a wonderful time one some sort of water slide inside a tube! That even looked like fun to me :).

One of our favorite vacations is renting a house on Fort Myers Beach ... just the 2 of us and our dog. I remember growing up in New England and my parents renting a house on Cape Cod for all of us and our dogs. I haven't had such a good time since and my memories of those summers are joyous.

We rent the same beach cottage twice a year for 2 weeks eating out almost every night, enjoying the sunsets over the Gulf. We watch so many families spill out onto the beach enjoying the sand, the sun and the water. This is a wonderful vacation for a family. As someone suggested, bringing someone the children love along to keep them entertained, etc., is such a great idea.

As someone said above, a family choosing a luxury cruise with literally nothing for their children to do is pure selfishness. The reason parents make that choice is not that they are trying to introduce their children to a quality vacation experience.

Crystal has children's program on some trips with a dedicated children's play room. They offer in cabin baby sitting for a fee on all trips. To slove the dinning problem Oceania should copy their baby sitting offer. As long as Oceania takes the money people will come.