Experience In Chez Jacques

kitty9

I have a little surprise for all of you. Oceania DOES have babysitting in your cabin. I asked our butler and at guest services and they said some crew

Great to know, they should let people know, might slove some of the issues some have. Guess TC is off Oceania.

I have a little surprise for all of you. Oceania DOES have babysitting in your cabin. I asked our butler and at guest services and they said some crew members will volunteer to sit for a couple of hours.

I have said this many times, on many boards, that I'm amazed by the people who come here to CC talking about taking their kids on cruises because it's such a great family vacation, and how perfect it is to spend time together, but then in the next paragraph they want to know if there's a maximum number of hours for the kids club, if they can leave their kids on the ship while in port, if the club stays open all night and a lot of other things that point to the fact that many times, cruises AREN'T really family times. If it's a family time vacation, kids clubs wouldn't be used.

As an aside, we had to miss Costa Maya because of weather. This is my 89th cruise, and it's the second worst in terms of rough seas. It is so bad that our balcony furniture was tossed around like dinky toys.

The first two cruises my husband and I took, we arranged for our young child to stay with grandparents as we wanted an actual vacation - not worrying about him sliding overboard as the deck railings are open enough that a toddler could easily slide underneath (Sun Princess). When he was 10, we took a Princess Cruise to Norway, and there were surprisingly few kids aboard. He knew all of them through the Kids Club - and on sea days, we rarely saw him - totally his choice as the kids were much more fun than parents and grandparents.

This fall we are planning a trip on Oceania, as that is now my Mom's choice of cruise lines. G was sad to hear that there are no formal nights (he will turn 16 during the cruise) is still planning to put on a tie for dinner each night. We have talked at length about the lack of kid-based activities so that he has realistic expectations. He is completely fascinated by the itinerary and the opportunity to visit new countries - several of which I've not visited either.

A lot of travel success is dependent on a parent knowing their child and being responsible for their behavior. When he was an infant, more than once other passengers commented that they didn't know a baby was even on the plane. It was exhausting keeping him occupied and not fussy - but that was MY responsibility. We never wanted him to be the kid that other people watched and then piously muttered "birth control" about...

I'm not sure that setting a random age is the solution as there are some younger teens who are far more mature than some young adults, and far better behaved.

I do think, in the case of this 2 year old from the original post, that the maitre 'd should have been more proactive regarding the behavior - but then, it was not just the 2 year old throwing the rolls - someone was catching and thought it would be a good idea.

Cheers, K

I find it amazing that so many have advice how others should spend their vacation dollars, raise their children and even elude to the fact they are bad parents taking them on a cruise line that does not have a child program or using the child program too much. This all aimed at making Oceania 100% child free. Even renting a yacht was advised, likewise if you want a guarantee of no children onboard you could also rent a yacht. As long as Oceania takes the money they will come, I suggest you who want adults only spend your time lobbying Oceania, not the passengers.

I find it amazing that so many have advice how others should spend their vacation dollars, raise their children and even elude to the fact they are bad parents taking them on a cruise line that does not have a child program or using the child program too much. This all aimed at making Oceania 100% child free. Even renting a yacht was advised, likewise if you want a guarantee of no children onboard you could also rent a yacht. As long as Oceania takes the money they will come, I suggest you who want adults only spend your time lobbying Oceania, not the passengers.

The reason others are passionate about this subject is because THEIR vacation experience is affected by this through no choice or control of their own.

It's like smoking (sort of :))

If you smoke alone in your room - it's your choice, your health - nobody else is affected. Smoke as much as you like. But you cannot smoke next to my table in a non smoking room.

If your toddler has a tantrum at your home (or is throwing rolls/running around), it's your problem and nobody else is impacted by it. You deal with it!

However, if you bring toddlers on an adult cruise - others are impacted and after spending $$$$$ their vacation may not be what they wanted.

And yes - parents that bring their toddlers/young children on an adult cruise line for selfish reasons and let them raise havoc ARE bad parents. I also know that many parents bring their children on this type of a cruise line knowing that their children can handle this and the children will be comfortable with this type of an experience. They are good parents.

Many people do not have children by choice; others have already raised their families and they both want an adult experience for their hard earned money.

They most likely would not mind young adults or children that are well behaved and do not disturb others around them. However, they are understandably intolerant of screaming toddlers on this type of a vacation. They don't wish to nor should they have to put up with other peoples' screaming and tantrum throwing children.

It's that simple (for me, anyway).

Edited by Paulchili

The reason others are passionate about this subject is because THEIR vacation experience is affected by this through no choice or control of their own.

It's like smoking (sort of :))

If you smoke alone in your room - it's your choice, your health - nobody else is affected. Smoke as much as you like. But you cannot smoke next to my table in a non smoking room.

If your toddler has a tantrum at your home (or is throwing rolls/running around), it's your problem and nobody else is impacted by it. You deal with it!

However, if you bring toddlers on an adult cruise - others are impacted and after spending $$$$$ their vacation may not be what they wanted.

And yes - parents that bring their toddlers/young children on an adult cruise line for selfish reasons. (or an X rated movie, for that matter) and let them raise havoc ARE bad parents. I also know that many parents bring their children on this type of a cruise line knowing that their children can handle this and the children will be comfortable with this type of an experience. They are good parents.

Many people do not have children by choice; others have already raised their families and they both want an adult experience for their hard earned money.

They most likely would not mind young adults or children that are well behaved and do not disturb others around them. However, they are understandably intolerant of screaming toddlers on this type of a vacation. They don't wish to nor should they have to put up with other peoples' screaming and tantrum throwing children.

Agree with every word except the smoking in the cabin reference. That could cause a fire. We are all affected

Agree with every word except the smoking in the cabin reference. That could cause a fire. We are all affected

Sorry - I meant in your room AT HOME :D

Obviously, there is no smoking in one's cabin or balcony.

Edited by Paulchili

I agree

it is my $$ also

Toddlers running around a restaurant are a safety hazard as well

JMO

I wonder if he had a Prestige Drink package - all you can drink (and then some) :D

We had the Prestige Package and didn't act like that!

The people sharing the table with the drunk had the option of leaving, which is what I would have done. But I would also explain why I was leaving to the maitre d' (and quite likely someone higher up as well) and would request a reservation at another time to make up for this now unusable reservation.

I can think of few things worse than sharing a table with a drunken stranger.

OTOH, I'm sure many of you may have other suggestions!

Mura

Perhaps, but they shouldn't have been the ones to leave. Especially since they were seated first and the newcomers 10 minutes later. For they record, they did speak to the Maitre'd and were given a 2nd night. I am not 100% positive, but I think they missed out on that dinner because of our shortened cruise.

kitty9 - Our balcony furniture also bounce all over the place on more than one night, and then again on our last two days making the run back to Miami.

Oh, and those parents you were talking about...They are also the ones that don't understand why there is a charge for their little ones because "they don't eat much."

From Iamsea: We had the Prestige Package and didn't act like that![/i]

Of course not. I do think Paul was speaking tongue in cheek ... Most Oceania passengers in my experience do NOT get so drunk ... (Maybe in their cabins?)

Perhaps, but they shouldn't have been the ones to leave. Especially since they were seated first and the newcomers 10 minutes later. For they record, they did speak to the Maitre'd and were given a 2nd night. I am not 100% positive, but I think they missed out on that dinner because of our shortened cruise.

I agree that the ones who should leave are those who are inebriated. But they may not realize how obnoxious they are being ... their dinner companions (seated first as you say) DO. Unless the staff is going to suggest to the offenders that they leave, it seems to me your only recourse is to leave yourself.

Oh, and those parents you were talking about...They are also the ones that don't understand why there is a charge for their little ones because "they don't eat much."

But there isn't a charge ... not on O, anyway.

It sounds like these people either didn't do their research to know how unwelcome screaming toddlers would be in an elegant restaurant ... or just didn't care. Sounds like maybe it was the latter.

Mura

Husband and I are the couple described by Iamthesea who endured a 2-1/2 hour meal in Jacques a few weeks ago with a drunk and his wife. I was stunned when after being seated for our 6:30 pm (yes, 6:30!) reservation, this couple were seated with us. The man, who also was very inappropriately dressed, sat one foot from me and yelled in my ear for an hour before he ate anything, disappeared for 20 minutes to visit the restroom! on another floor (yeah, right), before the entrees were served, and before dessert made the rounds of the room to visit anyone he knew dining there, which is why the meal took so long. He even bragged about how much he had imbibed in the late afternoon hours! He was so clearly inebriated that I blame the Maitre'D for seating this couple with anybody.

He sobered a bit after he ate his entree so the headache I had from his booming voice subsided a bit. Interestingly, the table was one set for six, but a third couple was never seated. We were there first, this man obviously was drunk, and he was so scattered in his thoughts, conversation was very difficult as he was basically only capable only of staccato stream of consciousness speaking. My nicer than me husband chose to endure this, but after we went to the show that night, I called the Jacques Maitre D' to complain about our horrible experience. He invited us to return, which we did, sitting with a lovely couple on their very first cruise.

We always book Polo for our last night onboard but because we were on the shortened "Noro cruise", we never got to visit my husband's favorite specialty restaurant. Fortunately, we had a lovely normal second Jacques visit to remember.

Edited by CintiPam

Husband and I are the couple described by Iamthesea who endured a 2-1/2 hour meal in Jacques a few weeks ago with a drunk and his wife. I was stunned when after being seated for our 6:30 pm (yes, 6:30!) reservation, this couple were seated with us. The man, who also was very inappropriately dressed, sat one foot from me and yelled in my ear for an hour before he ate anything, disappeared for 20 minutes to visit the restroom! on another floor (yeah, right), before the entrees were served, and before dessert made the rounds of the room to visit anyone he knew dining there, which is why the meal took so long. He even bragged about how much he had imbibed in the late afternoon hours! He was so clearly inebriated that I blame the Maitre'D for seating this couple with anybody.

He sobered a bit after he ate his entree so the headache I had from his booming voice subsided a bit. Interestingly, the table was one set for six, but a third couple was never seated. We were there first, this man obviously was drunk, and he was so scattered in his thoughts, conversation was very difficult as he was basically only capable only of staccato stream of consciousness speaking. My nicer than me husband chose to endure this, but after we went to the show that night, I called the Jacques Maitre D' to complain about our horrible experience. He invited us to return, which we did, sitting with a lovely couple on their very first cruise.

We always book Polo for our last night onboard but because we were on the shortened "Noro cruise", we never got to visit my husband's favorite specialty restaurant. Fortunately, we had a lovely normal second Jacques visit to remember.

Not meaning to be rude but:

"See something, say something." The very minute it was abundantly clear that your new tablemate was inebriated in an obtrusive way, you should have immediately excused yourself and discreetly complained to the Maitre'd. If s/he doesn't fix the situation, firmly ask to speak immediately to the hotel director and watch how fast something happens that will solve your problem.

Not meaning to be rude but:

"See something, say something." The very minute it was abundantly clear that your new tablemate was inebriated in an obtrusive way, you should have immediately excused yourself and discreetly complained to the Maitre'd. If s/he doesn't fix the situation, firmly ask to speak immediately to the hotel director and watch how fast something happens that will solve your problem.

Guess you missed where I stated in my second paragraph that "my nicer than me husband chose to endure this." We all know that a lasting marriage requires a lot of compromise!

I have 3 kids and always worry about others in those kind of situations, would not have brought my kids when they were 2. Does anyone think it would be rude to approach the family directly, and politely ask them to quiet the child or take control? There would have been a good use of a movie on an iPad with headphones, if they insisted on dining with him or her. I think I would have said something to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No good would come of approaching an out of control family or guest in a fine dining situation. You would be set upon as the bad guy by the awful family! It would have quickly become unimaginably ugly.

It was entirely up to the maître d' in this restaurant to establish control & a word from YOU as the diner being inconvenienced in his ear should have resolved the situation. It might have been ugly for a brief period, but if he'd done his job, the situation would have been resolved. In every single case of passenger misbehavior sited in this thread, the maître d' should have acted in the interest of the guests. If he didn't resolve this bad behavior, you would have been quite right to raise the issue with management - on board & afterward if it wasn't resolved to your satisfaction.

Just my opinion!

It is my opinion that the Maitre d' had to have known what was going on and should have taken care of the situation without involving the guest in this situation. The man was loud, and he did visit several tables, including ours. :eek: And we were seated right at the entrance next to the Maitre d' station.

Just like with the Noro cruises, when this actually happens to YOU, then you can be the judge. ;)

This thread can go on and on about this and that, but I really am curious about the children sailing free statement. :confused:

I have not seen any Children sail free advertising on Oceania I think they still pay the going rate

I misinterpreted the comment. I took the poster to be referring to meals "because they don't eat much". I didn't mean to say that children sail free because I'm sure you are right on that score. (I could see a discounted rate for young children, though ... but I don't run the company.)

Personally I'd like to see Oceania charge MORE for young children! :D Or at least the difficult ones.

In a perfect world I would like to see Oceania have a minimum age policy of at least 12 ...

no smoking ships

If drunks become unruly the staff have the right to place them in the brig until they are sober

But the world is not perfect & I do not own the company :D

Though I can say I have not seen what Pam had experienced on any of out Oceania cruises & i would probably not sit there & endure it nor would DH

I have been around those type of drunks before when DH played in bands ..it is not pleasant :eek:

It is my opinion that the Maitre d' had to have known what was going on and should have taken care of the situation without involving the guest in this situation. The man was loud, and he did visit several tables, including ours. :eek: And we were seated right at the entrance next to the Maitre d' station.

Just like with the Noro cruises, when this actually happens to YOU, then you can be the judge. ;)

This thread can go on and on about this and that, but I really am curious about the children sailing free statement. :confused:

No Oceania employee will ever do anything to offend a paying guest absent a clear danger to others.