RocketMan's First Holland Cruise.

RocketMan275

Just finished our first Holland cruise on Westerdam. It was the Eastern sailing from 5 March until 12 March. Before I begin, I would like to thank all those here who were patient with my numerous first timer questions. I did appreciate everyone who took the time to help.

Top line summary.

This was our best cruise to date. We've done two RCI and two Princess cruises. We found Holland to just simply be "Homey". We thought the Westerdam was a wonderful size and we found the crew to always pleasant and friendly. A couple of times when we must have been looking 'lost', a Holland crew member would stop and ask if he could help. It was simply a wonderful experience.

Holland is now our first choice with Princess a close second. We purchased several FCD and booked another cruise on Holland. We will still be cruising on Caribbean Princess in December 16 but we will cancel the Regal Princess cruise we had scheduled for early March 17. We've booked a cruise on Oosterdam to replace that cruise.

Getting to the port.

While we have flown to the port, we much prefer to drive. We’re retired and we’re not in a hurry. It’s about a 14-hour drive, not including stops, from home to FLL. On our last two cruises, we spent the first night in Lake City, FL, and drive to FLL the next day. We would spend the night before the cruise at either the Marriott or the Embassy Suites. We would always have four or five hours to kill before going to the port. This time, we decided to do something different.

This time, we drove another hour to Ocala, FL and spent the night there. It’s about 10 hours from home to Ocala plus stops. We planned to leave Ocala around 7AM, the morning of the cruise which should have put us into the Port between 11 and 1130 AM.

Well, I screwed that up. I sat the alarm on the clock in the hotel room but forgot to verify that the time was correct. We rolled out the next morning, cleaned up, and loaded the car. No problems. We went in for breakfast only to discover that the clock in the room was one hour fast. It would be at last another hour before breakfast. No big deal, there has to be somewhere serving breakfast, right? Wrong, not at 0530. Nothing is open until at least 6 AM at the Ocala Belleview exit.

We set out, no coffee, no breakfast. We finally found a Dunkin Doughnuts open at the Okahumpka Turnpike Service Plaza. Another problem. The only breakfast sandwich they served was the fried egg, sausage, and cheese on a bagel. Sorry, don’t like hard fried eggs. Won’t eat hard fried eggs. After some discussion, they agreed to fix one without the egg. They did charge me for the egg.

Actually, other than my screw-up, this system worked quite well and we will use this same system to get to FLL for our future cruises. I really don’t see a need to get to Port Everglades the night before the cruise if you’re driving to the port. Now, I would think differently if I were flying, but it works well for driving. Besides, it cuts one day off our trip time and a day off the time the dogs have to spend in the kennel. FWIW, we make the drive home in a single day since we’re eager to get back.

Now, somewhat fortified with ‘breakfast’, we’re off to FLL. No real issues. We stopped to refuel the car at Pompano Beach Turnpike Service Plaza. Arrived at the parking garage just about 1030, parked the car, and entered the Cruise Terminal.

The wine saga begins.

We were sent to security for screening. Another problem. I had decided to bring six bottles of wine, two more than the 'free' authorized amount. I was fully prepared to pay the $18 corkage fee but the cruise line was not prepared for me. After X-ray, we were sent to the “wine table” only there was no one there manning the table. A Holland employee first wanted to confiscate my wine saying I would get it back after the cruise. When I protested, she decided I would need to leave the wine at the unmanned table along with my room number. Supposedly, the wine would be billed and delivered to my room. Then she told me to take the wine leaving the bottle count and my room number at the table. The wine stickers would be delivered to my room. (More on the wine saga, later).

Boarding the ship.

We went upstairs with the wine and checked in. We were told we would be called in a certain order and that since we were in a suite, we would be called first. We sat down and waited for boarding. After a while, we noticed that a few dozen people were being sent past the seating area. I asked and was told that there was another seating area for suite guests and we were directed to that area. Just as we arrived, everyone was sent to board.

Since the rooms weren’t ready we went to the Neptune lounge for a snack and coffee. We also made reservations with the concierge for that evenings dinner. The rooms were ready about 30 minutes later.

(To be continued).

Muster Drill.

Our muster station was #16 on the port side. The only grade I could give the muster drill would be a failing one. When we got to the promenade deck, I went to the port side as instructed using the aft stairs. On the port side, there was a sign next to a door. The sign said Muster Station 16 but the door said Crew Only. I asked a crew man walking by if we were to proceed through the door and was told we were to go to the starboard side and proceed forward or aft until we were able to go to the port side and to our muster station. Simply not acceptable procedures.

The drill should be conducted in the way things will be in a real event. If someone is supposed to go through a certain door, then the door should be open for the drill. If someone is supposed to take a roundabout route, then the signage should show that. If there is something behind the door that passengers should not access, then station a crew member there.

Of course, when we went through the door on the starboard side, we exited into Muster Station #15 disrupting that group. Other groups were disrupted as we moved forward. Eventually, we found a pathway to the port side where we had to walk through Muster Station #14 disrupting their muster.

Things deteriorated at the muster station. The crew placed us in a large group which blocked the passage of other passengers coming from the stern trying to find their muster stations. Eventually, we were herded into a compact mass and the drill began. Of course the compact nature of the group meant that those in the back couldn’t see those conducting the drill. There was a large and very noisy vent at muster #16 which prevented anyone from hearing any of the instructions. By my estimate, about 50% of those at that muster station could neither see or hear the muster instructions.

My retired military and I know how to conduct training. That drill could only receive a failing grade.

Saga of the wine continues.

About 6:30, we decided to get a drink and listen to the Adagio players before dinner. We really enjoyed the violinist and the piano player. Although the stickers for the wine had not yet arrived, we did take a bottle of wine with us to dinner.

Once we were seated at a lovely four-top in the lower vista dining area, the wine steward asked about our unstickered wine bottle which lead to a lengthy explanation. I was more than willing to pay the corkage for that bottle then and there but only if the steward could ensure that I would not be double charged. Finally, the steward just opened the bottle and went on his way. We had a lovely dinner and enjoyed the wine. We took the rest of the wine back to our cabin.

The next day, I went to Guest Services to inquire about the wine. The young lady behind the counter said that someone would come to my room to take care of the wine. About 30 minutes later, a gentleman did come and placed stickers on four of the wine bottles. To the best of my knowledge, and I checked on the last day of the cruise, no charges were placed on my account for the four bottles of wine. All is well, that ends well.

Edited by RocketMan275

You bet! Since you did not receive good service with this wine from the point of boarding, this was a good way for it to end! Welcome to HAL.

Will not guarantee that this is how it will work on your next HAL cruise, however. Next time HAL might get it right.

Sorry about the Muster Drill. Agree that this was not optimal. With HAL putting a lot of effort into Muster Drills and taking them even more seriously since the Concordia mess, I am surprised. I've experienced only a higher level of organization, but........ Welcome to HAL.

Enjoying your adventures!

I do not understand why you were told to take a route other than what is signed for your station. That crewmember was wrong!

We've had routes through crew areas and always followed the routes as signed. Guides were at their stations and nobody ever told us to take a different route.

I do find it difficult to see and hear at the muster drill sometimes. I find the crowded nature of the drill worrying. We do the drill without our life vests. Imagine what the crowding would be like when everyone is bulkier because of the vests.

Very much enjoying your review.

Glad to hear you liked the Westerdam ;)

Love the wine saga. HAL has always managed to charge us corkage each and every time so we have never "escaped". LOL. It sounds like they did the right thing by you not charging the corkage :)

I think that part of your wine problem was this procedure is fairly new to HAL (about a year as I recall) and they really have never figured out how to easily handle it.

Prior to this new procedure we were allowed to bring as many bottles as we wanted on board for free. HAL then decided to limit this, as at some port guests were bringing on cases of wine, thus obvious reducing wine sales on board.

So, I think that HAL is not wanting to be a "wine policeman", but rather just to have an official policy to stop large amounts. I normally carry on two bottles myself (one for each of us) and never gotten a second look or question on HAL, while my one experience with Carnival was a real hassle.

Just my thought.

I think that part of your wine problem was this procedure is fairly new to HAL (about a year as I recall) and they really have never figured out how to easily handle it.

Prior to this new procedure we were allowed to bring as many bottles as we wanted on board for free. HAL then decided to limit this, as at some port guests were bringing on cases of wine, thus obvious reducing wine sales on board.

So, I think that HAL is not wanting to be a "wine policeman", but rather just to have an official policy to stop large amounts. I normally carry on two bottles myself (one for each of us) and never gotten a second look or question on HAL, while my one experience with Carnival was a real hassle.

Just my thought.

I think you're right about HAL not knowing how to deal with the wine issue. Part of it may be that they don't know how to fit it into an already established check-in procedure. How do they channel wine carriers over to the wine table without causing traffic jams with the no-wine people moving ahead to the next step? In Boston, the bag with the wine was whisked away and taken to the wine table instantly. In Ft Lauderdale, nobody said anything about it. yet another HAL inconsistency...

Anyway, Rocketman, you tired to do the right thing and were rewarded for it. Sometimes Karma is your friend!

Just my thought.

Actually I think it's been closer to 2 years. That should be long enough to figure it out but there are certainly inconsistencies. What might happen one week can be different than happens the next week.

Actually I think it's been closer to 2 years. That should be long enough to figure it out but there are certainly inconsistencies. What might happen one week can be different than happens the next week.

Time flies! I am sure you are correct on this.

You are also correct on HAL's inconsistencies - it makes it hard to know the correct procedures and even harder to offer new cruisers tips on HAL.

Just my thought.

I can't attribute this to a failure to understand the policy. Those employees present at my check in were fully aware that I needed to pay corkage. The problem was a failure to staff the wine desk. If HAL has a policy allowing more than two bottles if corkage is paid, then it is HAL's responsibility to have someone there at security to do the corkage.

I can't attribute this to a failure to understand the policy. Those employees present at my check in were fully aware that I needed to pay corkage. The problem was a failure to staff the wine desk. If HAL has a policy allowing more than two bottles if corkage is paid, then it is HAL's responsibility to have someone there at security to do the corkage.

I am sure you are right - they do understand the policy, but rather it seems that policing it is not always a big priority for them (especially since previously they never had to worry about it).

I am sure you are right - they do understand the policy, but rather it seems that policing it is not always a big priority for them (especially since previously they never had to worry about it).

"Not a big priority for HAL" sounds about right.

They have had a LOT of time to figure out how to handle this policy. Some ships turn around every WEEK, so, really, what is the problem with having this figured out?

I do think this is partly a ship-to-ship inconsistency. Not once at a Vancouver embarkation since this new policy started have we even seen a "wine deck". When asked, the RedCoats say, "no problem, don't worry about that".

Exactly.

I think it could be another aspect of lowering of staff numbers.

Seems they may have reduced the staff to such levels they don't always have someone to man the wine table and collect money. :rolleyes: :D