Looking for your opinion about this

Fenix22

Just got home yesterday, R/C Independence of seas.

Issues

1)Getting on, 2 hour wait in the heat/sun with 2 small children

Is this a normal process?

2)middle of the night my son got sick, I was on hold for 1 and a half hours and still no one picked up, I had to sleep with towels. I could not get a hold of housekeeping. Then when I spoke to front desk about it, they had no empathy about it and didn't really care overall. Offered to clean our clothes.

Do front desk staff usually help more than this/more empathy?

3) TV did not work for the first day(not much we could do our room attendant took care of it that evening)

4)Luggage didn't come unit 5 min before dinner service (5:55)

Is it usually this slow, put a damper on the first dinner, getting ready and v-line across the ship.

5) getting off boat took 2 hours, very unorganized on the ship, Some of my luggage was misplaced during this. Missed my flight, and when I spoke with staff they didn't seem to care that my flight was in and hour. "your not the only one". Once we got to customs, very organized, bag helpers helped me move up line. Is this the usual process for getting off? It stated in the daily info that we would basically just walk of with our luggage no problem.

6)Also felt crown and anchor program did nothing, I know its only our second cruise but I never heard a thing about it. No benefits

Also any idea what a code alpha is? I am assuming it is a medical or security code.

Thanks for any responses.

Tyler

1) what time did you arrive at the port?

2) who were you calling ? 911 or reception???

5)what time was your flight??

If you want to walk off with your bags you have to have them with you ...do not put them out the night before

It can take time to disembark depends on it the Customs/imigrations officials are on time & how many there are to process people

No, it is not.

2)middle of the night my son got sick, I was on hold for 1 and a half hours and still no one picked up, I had to sleep with towels. I could not get a hold of housekeeping. Then when I spoke to front desk about it, they had no empathy about it and didn't really care overall. Offered to clean our clothes.

Honestly, I've never seen the guest services staff excel at empathy. But they constantly deal with people complaining about legitimate and non-legitimate problems all the time. That said, I don't know why you'd be on hold for an hour and a half. After 5-10 minutes I would have tried calling back, and then move on to guest services instead of housekeeping.

Is it usually this slow, put a damper on the first dinner, getting ready and v-line across the ship.

It often can be that slow. The first night I wouldn't worry very much about what you or the kids wear to dinner. You won't be the only ones in that situation.

5) getting off boat took 2 hours, very unorganized on the ship, Some of my luggage was misplaced during this. Missed my flight, and when I spoke with staff they didn't seem to care that my flight was in and hour. "your not the only one". Once we got to customs, very organized, bag helpers helped me move up line. Is this the usual process for getting off? It stated in the daily info that we would basically just walk of with our luggage no problem.

Unless you choose to self disembark (with all your luggage) then it's going to take a while. I'd say at least an hour from the time your disembarkation group gets called to the point where you've cleared customs.

What time was your flight?

6)Also felt crown and anchor program did nothing, I know its only our second cruise but I never heard a thing about it. No benefits

You should have at least gotten invited to the Welcome back party. There would have been an invitation left with the cruise compass by your cabin steward during the evening turn down service.

Also any idea what a code alpha is? I am assuming it is a medical or security code.

It's notification to the crew about a medical emergency.

Issues

Is this a normal process?Fairly normal, depending on the time of day you arrived at the terminal

"on hold" for an hour and a half? As LHT28 says, what number did you call?

3) TV did not work for the first day(not much we could do our room attendant took care of it that evening)

Things break, how long between notification to ship's staff to rectification?

Normally sooner, but in some cases even later.

Not unusual time to disembark. If you booked a flight within 2-3 hours of disembarkation time, that is cutting it way too close, unless you self-disembark. That is where you don't put your luggage out the night before, but carry it yourself from your cabin all the way off the gangway to customs. They are dealing with a few thousand pieces of luggage, it takes time. Staff in the terminal are not RCI employees, they are port authority personnel.

Tyler

Yes, code alpha, on RCI, but not all lines, is a medical emergency.

Yes, for many mainstream lines and huge ships, boarding can take that long. Even for a luxury line with under 1000 passengers I've waited close to an hour. In some ports there is shelter for the line up, though. It can also take several hours to disembark and get your luggage, as has been pointed out. It's typically not the fault of the cruise line, though.......its a combination of volume, the port facilities, and the number of port staff.

I'm sorry about your son, but I have no idea what's typical calling anyone in the middle of the night. Could anyone have gone down personally to the desk? It might have been faster.

Issues

3) TV did not work for the first day(not much we could do our room attendant took care of it U.K. that evening)

Tyler

Frequent cruiser on RC and sailed the Independence last year.

1. What time did you arrive at the pier? Have never waited in the heat and sun ...... Terminal is indoors.......please clarify.

2. Not sure why you would call housekeeping/guest services in middle of the night. I have never needed to call, but you are instructed how to call for a medical emergency. Not sure I what you dial .... Might just be zero. Don't have any comments about guest services. Like any other front desk people, some are better than others.

3. Maybe remote batteries needed changing. Sounds like room steward took care of it.

4. Normal on most cruises. There are thousands of bags to be delivered. Good idea to pack what you need, especially for early dinner, in your carryon.

5. Sounds like you did not do self disembarkation. Again, thousands of bags to be handed. If you have an early flight definitely do self disembarkation. Believe cruise lines recommend flights after 12:00 noon.

6. Are you a C&A member? You have to join. It is not automatic.

7. Emergency call for crew - medical.

Sorry that things didn't go as you planned. My responses are not meant to be critical or particularly pro RC, just trying to answer your questions. Hopefully your next cruise will be better. Highly suggest researching on the cruise line board that you plan on sailing on. Many of the questions/problems you had could have been answered ahead of time.

Issues

Waiting 2 hours to board is not uncommon, especially if you are one of those that insists on arriving at the pier before 11:00. Boarding time is dictated by when the last passengers from the previous voyage clear the ship and CBP finishes its duties. Waiting out side is also a product of when you arrive and how many people are ahead of you in line. The facility can only hold so many people.

Who did you call and let the phone ring for 90 minutes. If it was housekeeping they sleep too. You should have contacted the front desk and ask them to contact housekeeping. What did you expect the front desk to do the next morning? they made an offer to clean yoru clothes. Did you expect more? You wanted empathy? Maybe the problem is you and not them.

Things happen, most likely there was nothing wrong with teh TV, other than the previous guest had changed a setting on the remote. Getting it taken care fo the first evening is all you can expect.

Not at all uncommon for luggage not to arrive before 6:00. That is why most people don't bother to try to change before dinner the first night.

If you missed your flight you booked it too early. My guess is that you booked well before the recommended time. To say that it took two hours to get off doesn't really tell us anything. Two hours from when the ship tied up? Two hours from when it was cleared? Two hours from when they started disembarking? The ship cannot start disembarking passengers until CBP allows it to do so, it is out of their control. The process you describe is normal and not at all unexpected.

Tyler

I'm sure my responses above are not what you wanted to hear but the truth is not what people usually want to hear.

1) what time did you arrive at the port?

I arrived in port at 1:00 or so.

2) who were you calling ? 911 or reception???

I called reception desk

5)what time was your flight??

If you want to walk off with your bags you have to have them with you ...do not put them out the night before

It can take time to disembark depends on it the Customs/imigrations officials are on time & how many there are to process people

I walked off with my bags. We headed towards the exit at 745 ish. It wasnt the customs it was just very unorganized.

Just a question for clarification. If you carried your baggage off the ship, how did some of it get misplaced?

I also see that the scheduled arrival time is 0700, not sure what time the ship actually docked, but very likely that the ship was not cleared by CBP at the time you started towards the gangway, so there would have been a crowd of folks waiting to get off. Was this a cruise that included Belize? Frequently, port calls in Belize causes delays in both clearing the ship and in the disembarkation interviews with CBP, so things back up.

Edited by chengkp75

Frequent cruiser on RC and sailed the Independence last year.

1. What time did you arrive at the pier? Have never waited in the heat and sun ...... Terminal is indoors.......please clarify. I arrived around 1

2. Not sure why you would call housekeeping/guest services in middle of the night. I have never needed to call, but you are instructed how to call for a medical emergency. Not sure I what you dial .... Might just be zero. Don't have any comments about guest services. Like any other front desk people, some are better than others.

I called front desk, it kept saying, don't hang up, you are in line.

3. Maybe remote batteries needed changing. Sounds like room steward took care of it.

It was the tv itself the maintenance guy replaced somthing

4. Normal on most cruises. There are thousands of bags to be delivered. Good idea to pack what you need, especially for early dinner, in your carryon.

Thanks I just thought I would have it by 5-530 at the latest

5. Sounds like you did not do self disembarkation. Again, thousands of bags to be handed. If you have an early flight definitely do self disembarkation. Believe cruise lines recommend flights after 12:00 noon.

I did self, I carried all my luggage, stroller, myself. It was basically a never-ending line at 8 am.

6. Are you a C&A member? You have to join. It is not automatic. I am a member I cruised with them prior , I was on their site setting thing up.

7. Emergency call for crew - medical.

Sorry that things didn't go as you planned. My responses are not meant to be critical or particularly pro RC, just trying to answer your questions. Hopefully your next cruise will be better. Highly suggest researching on the cruise line board that you plan on sailing on. Many of the questions/problems you had could have been answered ahead of time.

Thanks I just have never had to catch a flight so eairly, so never had to rush off the ship. Also never waited that long to get on before. This was my 3rd cruise, 1st with my kids.

It got misplaced when My wife went to use the washroom and i had my 2 sons, and 4 suitcase, when we got everything ready to go down the 2 sets of stairs We must of forgot to grab it, I return about 5 min later and it was nowhere to be found. If it wasn't for all the unorganization I would like to think we would have been fine, I know its partly my fault, but the situation was unreasonable.

I'm sure my responses above are not what you wanted to hear but the truth is not what people usually want to hear.

Let's take it a step further: with the understanding that OP probably contributed to the problems (e.g., booking too early a flight just to save a few bucks), the bottom line remains that you get what you pay for and cruise lines like RCC, which cater to huge throngs with less-than-desirable crew ratios and a too broad definition of "quality," are often going to disappoint a significant number of passengers.

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by zqvol View Post

Let's take it a step further: with the understanding that OP probably contributed to the problems (e.g., booking too early a flight just to save a few bucks), the bottom line remains that you get what you pay for and cruise lines like RCC, which cater to huge throngs with less-than-desirable crew ratios and a too broad definition of "quality," are often going to disappoint a significant number of passengers.

Flight was 10 am.

730 am we were "clear to disembark"

5 min drive to airport.

I thought I was giving myself enough time, I know it was going to be a little tight, but i was doing self check out and in reading the night before they made it sound like I was going to walk off(obviously I knew there would be some wait) I aslo mentioned I had 2 young children and wanted to get home with time to get, unpacked and them ready for bed.

Fenix22, the embarkation/debarkation problems you described are not typical RCI. It sounds to me like IOS had a less than desirable berth at Port Everglades that didn't have adequate terminal facilities for such a large ship.

Edited by Aquahound

Fenix22

Thanks for coming back to answer some of comments.

Obviously, you live and learn! Definitely your flight was booked way too early. You might make that flight with no kids to worry about, mega ships seem to clear earlier, like the Oasis and Allure, but I would never risk that early a flight.

Again, about C&A, just to be sure, even though you booked on line doesn't mean you are a member. You said "you were on line with them." Do you and your family members have actual C&A membership numbers? That's what I meant. If you joined previously you should have had welcome back information in your cabin.

As far as the phone call, I think I would have called medical or just gone to guest services.

Hopefully your next cruise will go better.

Fenix,

I do feel for the troubles you went through but do feel as some were lack of research or contributed to by you.

It is clearly stated that bags may not make it to passengers before dinner.

If I was on hold for more than a few minutes, I personally would have hung either hung up the phone and walked down to guest services, or stayed on the line and had my spouse make that walk. No way would I wait 90 minutes for someone to answer.

As was mentioned before, a 10 am flight is questionable even without the kids in tow. Never would I do this myself. The earliest I have booked in just past 11 and was a nervous wreck and my "kid" was 19 so self sufficient.

The long waits are not the norm from what we have experienced but are known to happen. You need to either account for them or take the risk that it won't happen for you.

For your past guest concern, did you have your C&A numbers associated with your reservation? If so you should have gotten an invite to a welcome back party. Sometimes they do get lost in all the papers that show up in the cabins. Some have been known to throw them out without realizing what they are.

Cruising is a great way to travel, but it does definitely come with some different planning challenges. I hope you take this as a learning experience and make a few adjustments next time to ensure a happier outcome is possible.

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by zqvol View Post

Flight was 10 am.

730 am we were "clear to disembark"

5 min drive to airport.

I thought I was giving myself enough time, I know it was going to be a little tight, but i was doing self check out and in reading the night before they made it sound like I was going to walk off(obviously I knew there would be some wait) I aslo mentioned I had 2 young children and wanted to get home with time to get, unpacked and them ready for bed.

I'm sorry you were so stressed and displeased with boarding/disembarking procedures but had you found CC prior to your cruise

and asked pertinent questions regarding recommended flight times etc, we hopefully could have saved you some of your issues..

No cruise line I know ever recommends booking a flight prior to 12 noon. Yes, many make earlier flights but a family of four, with small children, would have been wise to have not booked at 10 A.M. flight. That was definitely asking for distress.

As to gathering your suitcases and selves and leaving a bag behind, I am sure you will acknowledge was your responsibility.

Assuming you had fun while on the ship and a good family vacation aside from your boarding and disembarking experiences, you have learned good lessons and next cruise should be much better for you. :)

Was this a short 4 or 5 night cruise? If so, an even greater number of passengers will be in the 'walk off' category and everyone tries (and many think they are entitled) to be first. That leads to mass congestion.

My DD, DSIL and 11 month old GD were on the IOS in January for a 4 night cruise. Since we were picking them up I told them to request normal disembarkation (as you well know traveling with a little one or two means lots of luggage) around 9 am. They were off the ship and through customs by 9:30.

As others have said, only a risk taker would ever try a 10 am flight out of FLL, especially during high season.

Edited by capriccio

Like many others, I'd never book a flight that early. It would take everything going perfectly to catch one that early. I've seen times when they did not start disembarking passengers until after 8. And then I've also seen times when the line to catch a cab is so long that the wait is nearly an hour.

A 10 am flight to Canada after a cruise ..that is just crazy

:eek:

Not all Ontarios are in Canada. ;). There are 5 in the US and one has an airport, ONT. None are close to FL.

OP-- use this experience as a lesson learned. First off are usually those with some sort of special status.

About your child being sick, that's a horrible thing. Hopefully it was a one-time thing and didn't effect the rest of your cruise. One cruise we had shower issues, no cold water. Needed to take a shower late night/early morning after being in the Casino and stunk of smoke. Called GS, they never answered the phone. Mom went down to guest services IN HER BATHROBE! Problem solved. Gotta love mom! Desperate times call for desperate measures.

About your missed flight--did you call the airline to get rescheduled before the flight took off?

Edited by SadieN