Istanbul, Turkey and terrorists bombings. Thinking of cancelling cruise.

We have booked a Med cruise that includes a port of call in Istanbul, Turkey, but due to recent terrorist bombings in tourist areas, we are thinking of cancelling our cruise.

So, have you booked, and have you considered cancelling your cruise that includes a visit to Istanbul?

Which cruise are you booked on? The cruise line will eliminate the stop if they decide it is too risky to bring passengers to Istanbul. If they don't cancel the stop, you can still choose to stay on board that day if you feel unsafe.

But if you feel that the rest of the cruise is no longer worth it without Istanbul, or if you think you will feel endangered even on the ship while it is docked in Istanbul, then you should contact the cruise line to ask about your options for cancelling or changing your booking.

I would guess that cruise lines are rethinking their port calls to Istanbul after the event there this weekend. (Some lines already curtailed or cut out calls there earlier this year.)

If you don't think you can wait until a decision is made, and you want to cancel, then you should do so -- but it will be subject to any of the penalties that would normally apply, I'd think.

When is your cruise?

I am not going to Istanbul this year, as it happens, but I was there the previous year (stayed several days before boarding a cruise) as well as several other stays and cruise visits. I would still go, but I would probably monitor the situation and heed any current advice, such as to stay away from the well-known and crowded tourist sites -- easy for me to say as I've seen them at least once if not more -- and walk around on my own rather than as part of a large group.

Yes, unless Seabourn makes a change to our June our June Seabourn cruise which begins Istanbul and has two Turkish ports of call, we will go. We have been to Istanbul on four previous occasions, including last fall. As such we know our way around a bit -- certainly

the Sultanahmet. Will be more prudent in where we go and how we travel around ? Certainly but it will affect our enjoyment of this fascinating place.. And as we have already seen the main tourist attractions we will likely not be in the middle of throngs of other western tourists in any event. Only you can judge your comfort level and let that be your guide.

Appreciate the varied and interesting comments on this thread. We super loved Istanbul from our June 2006 visit there at the end of our first cruise. We were fortunate to do an Athens to Istanbul sailing, with stops in the Greek Islands, Ephesus, Bodrum and to finish with two days in Istanbul at the end of our cruise.

We would love to go back to Istanbul, plus do more, including stops in and around Israel, Egypt, etc. BUT, the overall safety issues are a major concern in this region. Not sure an easy or quick solution is immediately upcoming. Clearly this is challenging for the cruise lines. Your odds of something bad happening are very small, but you do not want to take too many risks. Will watch developments with strong future interest. Good luck to those who have booked and are wondering what to do and/or if to scrub.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,885 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are still going to Istanbul in May prior to our cruise. I will not let any terrorists cheat me out of enjoying a city such as this. We will be watchful and prudent but cancel? No we will not. We are not afraid.

This second attack in one year has me rethinking.

I always try to look at cruiseline decisions based on what the CEO must have to consider. Once they disgorge passengers...they can go anywhere. If you search Tripadvisor's Turkey forum, there were credible threats for the area and the time of this attack...credible enough that Istanbul residents were saying that they would avoid the specific areas on the day the attack took place.

So...I guess I can see why cruiselines might decide to cancel itineraries now...when they can be more assured of offering an itinerary that might come to fruition.

Sadly, Turkey has now become one of those hotspot areas where if you really want to see it, do it land based where you control your vacation destiny. And, if there are credible threats you can adjust your vacation on your own terms.

From the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website:

'Although the Turkish authorities have successfully disrupted attack planning in the recent past, the threat from terrorism remains high. Terrorist groups, including Kurdish groups, Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and far left organisations, continue to plan and carry out attacks. Further attacks are likely.

There were large bomb attacks in Ankara on 17 February 2016 and 13 March 2016, in which more than 50 people were killed, and a suicide bombing attack against tourists in Istanbul on 12 January 2016, in which 10 tourists died.

Most attacks are likely to continue to target the Turkish state. Nevertheless, it’s increasingly likely that some attacks will also target western interests and tourism, as they did in Istanbul on 12 January 2016. Terrorist groups, including Daesh and the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), have publicly threatened to attack tourist sites in Turkey. To date most attacks in Turkey have taken place in the south and east of the country and in Ankara and Istanbul'.

Note: the preface to the above section did refer to the explosion of 19 March on Istiklal Street in central Istanbul. The bold highlights are mine.

Buggins, I too saw those threat warnings that numerous people living in Istanbul were aware of and they knew where the threat of attacks were. Why was the area not evacuated? I was stunned that people knew so much.

Yes, and have cruiselines that have decided not to have port visits but are ok with with en embarkation/disembarkation shifting legal issues that they might incur? Just putting on the CEO hat. I can think of one cruiseline that may have played a very savvy strategy if anything happens on their watch.

Buggins, I too saw those threat warnings that numerous people living in Istanbul were aware of and they knew where the threat of attacks were. Why was the area not evacuated?
It's like if someone threatened to carry out an attack somewhere on the Las Vegas strip over Easter weekend. Would they shut down and evacuate the area for three days?

It's always prudent to stay apprised with government travel advisories (US State Department, for example) and of course, as mentioned here, your cruise line.

The truth is, anything can happen anywhere, anytime - there have now been attacks in Paris, London, Madrid, New York City, Boston, Tunisia, San Bernadino - just to name a few places where millions of people visit every year and not likely terror targets...or are they?

Any place really could be these days...or not. Everyone is on alert, everywhere, most of the time these days. I think the lessons, sad as they have been, devastating of course, is that while we grieve we have to just keep on living.

One must make the best choices for oneself of course - I do not mean to preach or claim to know - I was a life long NYC'er who lost a neighbor/first responder - well really MOST of my neighborhood worked in Tower 1 (as did I, but not that day) and all our streets were renamed; papers wafted in the air from the buildings - I lived that close...so I do not say these things lightly...it took a week for the winds to change and the burning smell to lift.

In Paris after the attacks, a French phrase started to appear on many of the tributes "Meme Pas Peur" which translates to "Not even afraid" they wanted the terrorists and the world to know - we might be in shock, down, but we are strong...we cannot be beaten.

Safety is always a concern - protecting oneself, being prudent - do that! But living is paramount. Don't let them win. Keep on sailing :)

I am going to Istanbul on my own after our cruise ends in Rome on April 25. It will be my first visit. I have gone on-line and joined the STEP program offered through the US State Department. I get e-mails with updates on the situation in Istanbul and also "warnings" of possible attacks. There are no guarantees, but I will be as vigilant as I can and pray for a safe journey.

There was a warning to avoid certain areas this past weekend, including where the bombing occurred.

Hopefully some of the people visiting Istanbul this Spring and/or Summer can report back. I also have a cruise planned in October departing from Istanbul and going to Israel. If they change the embarcation port to Athens, for instance, I would still go unless Israel also looked iffy. Of course they often cancel Israel at the last moment so one never knows.

I am so thankful I decided to spend a week in Istanbul before a cruise in October 2014 in case I am unable to return there this year. What a tragedy is happening in that country.

We were so fortunate to visit Turkey in 2013.

My husband was very concerned prior to

sailing as things were heating up in Syria.

I posted his concerns on this board and so many

encouraged us to forge ahead.

Once we arrived, the fears he had never crossed

his mind. It's such a beautiful, fascinating country.

I am so saddened by these events and pray for the

Turkish people.

It wouldn't shock me if the port was changed to an

alternate which is so beyond sad.

Thes is a very personal decision.

Many cruise lines are canceling the ports stops there for various reasons including safety, what their insurance companies are telling them and because of people cancelling their bookings. If my cruise started or ended there I might be cancelling my cruise but if it is a stop along the way I would leave as is. Worst case I just stay on the ship if by the time of the cruise I am uncomfortable about it and a good chance the cruise line revises the itinerary anyway.

Keith

Something to consider if you plan to tour Istanbul, despite the current situation:

Our news is reporting that the bomber did indeed target the Israeli tour group which suffered casualties (3 Israelis - including two who had dual US/Israeli citizenship- were killed in the attack, and several others were wounded). He is said to have followed them from their hotel, to the restaurant they went to for breakfast. When they exited the restaurant, he blew himself up.

With reports of 3 more IS terrorists on the loose and planning to carry out another attack in Istanbul, and London on the alert for multiple attacks as I write this, it appears the best plan if you go might be to avoid traveling with a group, and also avoid major tourist/shopping areas. In other words, it's the time to get the taste of local life, walking residential neighborhoods and eating in small 'off the beaten path' cafes.

I always wonder what exactly posters mean when they say they will be extra vigilant when they tour (Do they know what to look for? What to do?), but at least the above is a strategy which might provide you with some security.

(No, I will not even consider another visit to Turkey. And needless to say, after Saturday's attack, our government not only told Israelis to stop all travel to Turkey, but also said anyone currently in Turkey should leave immediately.)

Edited by happy trailer

We have booked a Med cruise that includes a port of call in Istanbul, Turkey, but due to recent terrorist bombings in tourist areas, we are thinking of cancelling our cruise.

So, have you booked, and have you considered cancelling your cruise that includes a visit to Istanbul?

We are going to Istanbul in 8 weeks, not heard anything from the cruise line. We are going with an open mind and will decide whether to go ashore at the time (if the itinerary is not changed). The rest of the cruise sounds great and is around Greece so we will not be cancelling.

Anyone comparing what is going on in Turkey right now with Boston, LA, or NYC, really needs to learn about what is going on right now in a world hot spot.

We have a 2017 Azamara cruise that begins in Istanbul. The way I look at it is that if the situation doesn't change, Azamara will change the itinerary. We have already been to Istanbul, so it's not a make or break port for us. Our cruise really focuses on the Greek Islands and the Amalfi Coast in Italy. We'll see what happens.

Anyone comparing what is going on in Turkey right now with Boston, LA, or NYC, really needs to learn about what is going on right now in a world hot spot.

We have a 2017 Azamara cruise that begins in Istanbul. The way I look at it is that if the situation doesn't change, Azamara will change the itinerary. We have already been to Istanbul, so it's not a make or break port for us. Our cruise really focuses on the Greek Islands and the Amalfi Coast in Italy. We'll see what happens.

Turkey is a caldron right now unfortunately.

Our time in Istanbul in 2015 went well. Indeed, I too wondered if we 2 were sane wandering the streets. I believe we were. We roamed the Istanbul backstreets with a local Guide...with his Cell-phone. Did we ever have fun!! Was safety a concern? I suppose so, but my work has also taken me to some very rough areas in large US Cities that are not safe. We had a local guide for just 3 of us and then 4 of us the 2nd day, no Motorcoaches, etc. We looked like 'locals'. THAT was my answer for avoiding looking vulnerable. We will roam European cities April/May 2016...the same way. Locomotiveman Tom

We're British and our cruise has a stop at a Turkish seaside resort.

You can't predict the future, but you can also take steps to mitigate yourself. Our problem is we are very obviously Westerners, my boyfriend is ginger and I myself am a pale blonde- you can't miss us in a group of people in a foreign country :D.

We've travelled the world and some rather strange places and aren't the kind of people who scare easily (call it a curse of being young!).

Having said that we've made the decision not to get off the boat this year. It sounds extreme, and I must stress that we've been to Turkey before and had a great time. But in Istanbul last when a family member went there was unrest and not just for the reasons of terrorism, but between the people living in Istanbul and different groups there (the Kurdish and Muslim population in particular).

I know in the news here there has been a lot of talk and even the big story about the ISIS fighters who were taking 'selfies' at popular seaside resorts that people like me have been to before. It was really eye opening at how unstable the situation is there right now and I fear it may get worse before it gets better, not only with the terrorism situation but with the political situation as it is now also. The border situation in Turkey is pretty dire right now.

I think it's a very personal choice and there is an extremely high chance you will go and have a fabulous time with absolutely no trouble at all. We flew into Antalya which is a militarised airport and felt very secure and safe when we went. But for us, who had friends who were unfortunate enough to be involved in the Sousse attacks last year, we don't feel its a port we want to visit enough for that.

We'll just stay on the boat and enjoy a day of absolutely fabulous Turkish weather- it's always so hot!