Just Back from Riviera March 13

avalon1025

This was my first Oceania sailing, and overall thought it was fine, but nothing really stood out as great, or what I would rave to a friend about.

High Points:

Our Butler: Xavier, a gem and one of the best i've had on any ship

The Cabin: the Penthouses are very nice, great bath, lots of closet space (the executive lounge is sort of useless on this ship)

Friends: Always great sailing with friends, it was great to see them all and meet new ones!

Weather: it was perfect all week

Food: Very good to excellent throughout the ship

Ship: The Riviera is a beautiful ship

The Disappointments:

Crew: I found many of them tired, unhappy and not very friendly. Maybe due to the prior cruises they were just exhausted. Some warmed up by mid week

Waves: What a mess, can't order without a table number, but can't get a table without someone sitting down by the time you get back to order. Not super helpful or friendly staff, and gross on the sticky ketchup, mustard and mayo in squeeze bottles on the tables.

Pool Deck: I was asked for a drink by the pool once...in 7 days....

Piano Man: The guy in the Martini bar playing the piano; he needs to learn to smile once and awhile

Entertainment: Seemed really lacking

Spa: $130 for a manicure/Pedicure that was awful. Thankfully the spa manager looked at me and offered to re-do it

Overall, with a drink package and gratuities, not much of a price difference with some of the deals on Crystal or Silversea, for a smaller cabin but a much finer overall product

Oceania is a true step up from the NCL and Royal Caribbean's of the world, but with more attention to the details, could be a nice alternative to the luxury lines

Edited by avalon1025

I consider not being asked about drinks by the pool constantly a good thing.

Then you should adore Oceania

Oh, BTW, i didn't say constantly, I think once or twice a day, spending all day by the pool not a nuance.

Edited by avalon1025

I consider not being asked about drinks by the pool constantly a good thing.

We had the same experience as the OP. Not only were we never asked if we would like a drink, but there was never a server roaming the pool decks at all! Most cruiselines have stopped the drink hawking (constant bothering,) but they at least have a bar server walking around which you can flag down. We never saw one on Oceania and had to go to the bar each time we wanted a drink. We chalked it up to the virus on our cruise, but perhaps not.

OP - Sounds like you had a great cruise, though.:) I cannot compare to Silversea or Crystal, but we agree with all you said about Oceania. We thought our Celebrity cruises are better.

Edited by Iamthesea

We had the same experience as the OP. Not only were we never asked if we would like a drink, but there was never a server roaming the pool decks at all! Most cruiselines have stopped the drink hawking (constant bothering,) but they at least have a bar server walking around which you can flag down. We never saw one on Oceania and had to go to the bar each time we wanted a drink. We chalked it up to the virus on our cruise, but perhaps not.

They are usually walking the deck just need to give them a nod or hold up your hand (like in school)

I bet they were too busy cleaning on your sailing though

I've never has a problem at Waves on 12+ Rivera / Marina cruises. Always found a table for two or for sharing, but perhaps I was never there at a peak time. Staff was always on the ball, refilling coffee cups, taking beverage orders, clearing old dishes...and they never got a food order wrong...

Harry

We were on this sailing as well, and while we didn't experience what the OP did, one thing I noticed was that no matter where we ate, drink service was slow. In the Terrace Café yesterday, I asked for a diet Coke, and had pretty much finished my lunch by the time they came back with it. Luckily they give you water as soon as you sit down, so I wasn't without a beverage.

We had no problems at Waves and the condiment containers weren't sticky. I did have trouble with one of the salt shakers in the Terrace Café being a solid block of salt, though!

All staff I came across smiled and said hello, or wished me a good day. They were not effusive, but that was okay with me. I noticed in the dining room and restaurants, when we ate with older passengers (in their 70s or 80s), they were very much fussed over by the staff.

We enjoyed our trip and would sail on O again if the price is right. For this cruise we paid about what we paid for our last RC cruise and this was a MUCH better experience.

I've never has a problem at Waves on 12+ Rivera / Marina cruises. Always found a table for two or for sharing, but perhaps I was never there at a peak time. Staff was always on the ball, refilling coffee cups, taking beverage orders, clearing old dishes...and they never got a food order wrong...

Harry

Similar to our experience last month on Marina:)

Perhaps just a bad week for waves, but the smaller Eastern European woman taking orders said she couldn't take my order without a table number. Picked a table, then went back and it was occupied. Went back to change my table on their order form. Not a great passenger experience.

Perhaps just a bad week for waves, but the smaller Eastern European woman taking orders said she couldn't take my order without a table number. Picked a table, then went back and it was occupied. Went back to change my table on their order form. Not a great passenger experience.

Some thoughts:

1 "said she couldn't take my order without a table number" - without a table number she wouldn't know where to deliver your food. If you choose to sit in the Terrace (lack of space in the Waves or preference for A/C), they will give you a number sticker that you put on your table in Terrace.

2 "Picked a table, then went back and it was occupied" - hard to blame Oceania for this. You either did not mark your table with a personal item (or napkin over your chair) or someone ignored your "reservation".

they will give you a number sticker that you put on your table in Terrace.

I thought they gave you a stand with a number to place on your table like some fast food restaurants

but it was a few months since our last cruise & thought maybe they stopped this practice

Maybe they could give you buzzers (like HAL) so when your order is ready you can go pick it up

Edited by LHT28

We just got back from the same cruise. What works for us in ordering from Waves (when we are seated in the Terrace) is to place the number sign on the wine list making it more visible. The menu items in Waves are better than ever.

I must add that the ship is super clean.

Some thoughts:

1 "said she couldn't take my order without a table number" - without a table number she wouldn't know where to deliver your food. If you choose to sit in the Terrace (lack of space in the Waves or preference for A/C), they will give you a number sticker that you put on your table in Terrace.

2 "Picked a table, then went back and it was occupied" - hard to blame Oceania for this. You either did not mark your table with a personal item (or napkin over your chair) or someone ignored your "reservation".

Not blaming anyone, just stating for me as a single, its was a cumbersome and annoying process that I have not encountered on over 100 other cruises. I've seen this set up work perfectly on Crystal, Holland America and many other lines

Perhaps it was a language issue, but was not offered any other option. sorry, was a poor guest experience

Edited by avalon1025

They still do - you just described it better than I did :D

Nope, there are stands with numbers on each table, but they stay on the table, you don't remove them, they arent handed to you. You try to see if one is empty and what number it is, or if you arent single, you have someone sit there for you.

A better system is for them to give you the number when you order and then you go find a table. Not this way on the Riviera

Edited by avalon1025

Nope, there are stands with numbers on each table, but they stay on the table, you don't remove them, they arent handed to you. You try to see if one is empty and what number it is, or if you arent single, you have someone sit there for you.

A better system is for them to give you the number when you order and then you go find a table. Not this way on the Riviera

Ok so it did change a bit

they used to hand you the stand with a number on it then when they brought your order would take the stand with them

confusing eh

Ok so it did change a bit

they used to hand you the stand with a number on it then when they brought your order would take the stand with them

confusing eh

No, nothing has changed. It's the same as always.

The "constant" numbers are on the tables at the Waves itself. The stands with numbers are handed out only to those that wish to eat in the Terrace and not at the Waves' tables.

No, nothing has changed. It's the same as always.

The "constant" numbers are on the tables at the Waves itself. The stands with numbers are handed out only to those that wish to eat in the Terrace and not at the Waves' tables.

thanks guess we did it wrong :D

we took the stand to the table in waves