New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

I am seeing a thread with discussions on all facets of the issue here and it is only these type of responses that are quoted that would be labeled as whining. We are all free to discuss anything we want related to a particular topic; you as well. What you aren't free to do is tell others not to have a discussion. feel free to join in if you wish to do so.

Indeed ...."We are all free to discuss anything we want related to a particular topic; you as well."

Indeed ...."We are all free to discuss anything we want related to a particular topic; you as well."

guess you're not a read to the end type. But if this topic really bothers you, scroll right by it and let others talk about it. Badgering people isn't going to change anyones opinions. Asking questions or offering input might be constructive though.

guess you're not a read to the end type. But if this topic really bothers you, scroll right by it and let others talk about it. Badgering people isn't going to change anyones opinions. Asking questions or offering input might be constructive though.

Our "input"?

Re-read our original post.

Our "input"?

Re-read our original post.

What are you a conglomerate? Only single person accounts are allowed here.

And the original post was mostly whining. I see by your other posts that I have fallen for the trap though, shame on me...

Thank you. Does this forum have an ignore feature?

You can use the User Control Panel to ignore certain users, but I don't think you can have it remove or ignore particular topics. This may be a feature in the Tapatalk app for phones and tablets, I am not sure.

Under the Cruise Critic Logo in the upper left hand side of your screen is a yellow bar that says "User CP". Click on this.

Under the section that says "Settings and Options" is section called "Edit Ignore List". At this point, you can put in the Members user name you wish to block.

You may still see some posts if he or she is quoted in a reply.

It is time RC stopped allowing removal of gratuities without reason and even if service was suspect it should be reported and corrected and not used as an excuse.

I couldn't agree more. It should take a serious guest service issue before service charges/gratuities are removed, and then only the amount proportionate to the department responsible for the problem. Stiffing the cabin steward because the assistant server didn't bring the iced tea fast enough is nothing more than an excuse to be cheap.

The hotel manager should have to be personally involved with any removal, and the complaint should be validated with an attempt at correction before removal happens.

I couldn't agree more. It should take a serious guest service issue before service charges/gratuities are removed, and then only the amount proportionate to the department responsible for the problem. Stiffing the cabin steward because the assistant server didn't bring the iced tea fast enough is nothing more than an excuse to be cheap.

The hotel manager should have to be personally involved with any removal, and the complaint should be validated with an attempt at correction before removal happens.

What constitutes a serious issue though? Who determines when it is a serious issue; the guest or the manager?

What constitutes a serious issue though? Who determines when it is a serious issue; the guest or the manager?

It should be at the managers discretion. It would make people who are just cheap have to look a senior manager in the eye and explain why they have a good reason to remove gratuities--there would be far fewer cases if this happening. It would also allow senior management the opportunity to address and correct issues they might not otherwise learn about.

And as I mentioned, it would make sure innocent parties weren't punished for someone else's actions as only a percentage of gratuities would be removed.

Under the Cruise Critic Logo in the upper left hand side of your screen is a yellow bar that says "User CP". Click on this.

Under the section that says "Settings and Options" is section called "Edit Ignore List". At this point, you can put in the Members user name you wish to block.

You may still see some posts if he or she is quoted in a reply.

Thank you.

It should be at the managers discretion. It would make people who are just cheap have to look a senior manager in the eye and explain why they have a good reason to remove gratuities--there would be far fewer cases if this happening. It would also allow senior management the opportunity to address and correct issues they might not otherwise learn about.

And as I mentioned, it would make sure innocent parties weren't punished for someone else's actions as only a percentage of gratuities would be removed.

I see your point of view, you make good points, but I need to stop short on agreeing that it is a managers discretion if something is a problem or not. If it is management who determines if a guest problem is serious or not, then it is no longer a hospitality industry. I do agree managers should be made aware of problems and be given the chance to correct them. I think you can't eliminate every single cheapskate, so your plan just punishes people that may have problems but a manager who doesn't think it is a problem. It's attacking the symptom, not the cause.

There must be a better way <?>

Okay, so I think I wish they would just raise the fares to include the gratuities/daily service charge/whatever you want to call it. Seems like that would be the least complicated thing to do for everyone - customers and cruise line alike. People would moan for awhile, but if they truly want to cruise, they would suck it up and get on with it. Then if they had serious issues with service on a cruise, they could go to GS, complain and plead their case, and get an OBC or a refund of a portion of the service charge. The next generation of cruisers would just accept it as the norm.

We would gladly pay it in our fares - but we are cruisers who have never given less than the 'recommended amounts' of gratuities. We used to do that thing where you charged the whole total to your account and put the vouchers in the envelopes, along with optional cash. Now it's added daily to our account. And we always add some cash tips to that. The automatic daily gratuity thing is no big deal to us.

We also know that any time we go out to eat in a restaurant here at home on dry land it will cost us 15-20% more than the menu prices because we tip our servers. (Okay, to be brutally honest, on those few occasions when we've had really piss-poor service we tipped less. Once or twice a lot less.) We are also people who, in the long long ago, worked in restaurants/bars ourselves, so maybe we have a different kind of understanding here. I remember my base rate of pay was 45 cents an hour and the rest was tips, which happily paid me a little more than minimum wage at the time. (Yes. I. am. a. dinosaur.) So I'm not going to piss and moan over a 55 cent/day increase in gratuities which costs the two of us $7.70 for a 7 night cruise. I'd have tipped that much (and more) over the auto-grats anyway.

And if I had ever had a really bad service problem on a ship, I'd have gone to GS and addressed it. We've been fortunate to have experienced excellent service for the most part. A few times it was mediocre, but it's never been bad.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I am just wondering if a precedent is being set for

A. Biannual increases

B. Increases retroactively applying to deposited, and even in some cases paid in full vacations.

I think it does. For example, let's say that RCCL gets 500 passengers per ship to prepay gratuities for its 25 ships per week.

500 pax x 25 ships x 12.95 (to save .55) x 7 days = $1,133,125 per week. Think how much they will have after ten weeks of holding on to prepaid gratuities!

Yes, eventually they pay the gratuities but in the meantime, that is some good money to have for investing. Even if you cut my estimate in half, with this system to encourage prepayment to avoid the increase, what will make them want to stop?

Not necessarily faulting them, because obviously many people are fine with it since actual increase is so small. RCCL doesn't look like the bad guy, because they give you the option to prepay to avoid the increase. But it isn't just this cruise line. I'll expect it on all of them now.

I'm just going to realize when I book a cruise well in advance, I have no idea what the gratuities will actually be until sail date.

Edited by Kmcspoon

If it is a gratuity, it is optional and at the discretion of the guest whether it is removed or not, no reason needed.

...and sadly, that happens a lot. I've heard a lot of people skip out on the "tipping" altogether.

I've heard that before but some times I wonder how prevalent it really is and if it's a bit of pandering.

Mostly, I've heard it here on Cruise Critic so it must be true.

Royal no longer requires MTD bookings to have prepaid gratuities. You can call whoever booked your cruise and remove prepaid grats now.

I did not know that. I usually book directly through their web site, and that adds automatically gratuities, if I choose MTD.

I like MTD not because I would prefer daily changes to my dinner times, but because I can trust more to be seated alone with my husband and not in a big table with strangers. Dont' get me wrong, I like the English language and I also like talking to other cruisers, but not both of those together with my mouth full of food. I prefer Finnish while eating.

But to my original question - does anybody know if prepaid can be cancelled once onboard? What happens to prepaid if I truly think I have received sub-par service and would like that to reflect to the amount of gratuities?

I did not know that. I usually book directly through their web site, and that adds automatically gratuities, if I choose MTD.

I like MTD not because I would prefer daily changes to my dinner times, but because I can trust more to be seated alone with my husband and not in a big table with strangers. Dont' get me wrong, I like the English language and I also like talking to other cruisers, but not both of those together with my mouth full of food. I prefer Finnish while eating.

But to my original question - does anybody know if prepaid can be cancelled once onboard? What happens to prepaid if I truly think I have received sub-par service and would like that to reflect to the amount of gratuities?

I have read that you can cancel prepaid gratuities onboard, but it was a big hassle and had to get some management involved. It's not like the simple form you fill out to change auto gratuities.

If you want to have the option to easily change your gratuity amount, then I would remove prepaid.

Edited by clarea

I could not agree more. We have been cruising since the "old days" when you received envelopes to give directly to those who impacted our cruise. I do not trust any cruise line to "fairly" distribute my money. We have NEVER tipped less than today's guidelines. I think the current system "smells." JMHO

If it is a gratuity, it is optional and at the discretion of the guest whether it is removed or not, no reason needed.

Ok,I called the DP desk @ C&A...........they are NOT sure yet how it is to interpreted..They are working on it and trying to get answers.They should know in a day or two.But she thinks it is probably like the past(just add them on before and pay at final),but couldn't say for sure.I'll call back Friday,if no one else has heard for sure by then..

Ok,I called back....was told,it is like in the past.........You just have to add them on now(before the 14th) and not have to pay them until your final payment date.........

I could not agree more. We have been cruising since the "old days" when you received envelopes to give directly to those who impacted our cruise. I do not trust any cruise line to "fairly" distribute my money. We have NEVER tipped less than today's guidelines. I think the current system "smells." JMHO

I agree with this, besides if RCI raised the gratuity amount to 25 per guest per day or more, just pay what you want. You are allowed to raise the gratuity rate up or down.

Do you realize what you are suggesting? :eek:

Would you apply the same logic to a meal at your favorite local restaurant- tip level decided by restaurant, applied to your bill with ONLY the managers discretion on whether or not your tips are removed? If you truly felt you had a bad meal, and the mgr said "sorry" I dont believe you...would you EVER go back again? It is up to the CUSTOMER whether or not his issue is legitimate. Of course, there are people, few and very far between that cannot be happy. But, I bet those are very rare and the cost of doing business. They are offset by extra generous people. Vast majority of people in all walks of life are decent, fair, reasonable people......

Since when are ALL cruise employees ENTITLED, come hell or high water, to what THEY say they should get?

Also, why do so many people automatically brand anyone who may want to use the "old fashioned way" (tipping for good service AFTER it is received to who provided it) is a "cheapskate" (see end of first paragraph, MOST people are fair....etc, that applies here too, imo) ?

There are legitimate arguments on all sides of this debate. I personally on principle do not agree with the idea of prepaying. I have always gone along with it AND dished out more cash on top of it (Hmmm cynic in me says that is the plan- they can have their cake and eat it too). Now we are having a second increase in amount of gratuitiy in less than 1 year. Even though it isnt a lot of money, its the principle. I am about to the point where I say- fine RCCL (or other cruise lines) if this is what you suggest (gratuities per day) then THAT is what you are going to get and no more extra cash. After all, service has been on the decline over the years anyway.

Edited by KevinKruzer

Do you realize what you are suggesting? :eek:

Would you apply the same logic to a meal at your favorite local restaurant- tip level decided by restaurant, applied to your bill with ONLY the managers discretion on whether or not your tips are removed? If you truly felt you had a bad meal, and the mgr said "sorry" I dont believe you...would you EVER go back again? It is up to the CUSTOMER whether or not his issue is legitimate. Of course, there are people, few and very far between that cannot be happy. But, I bet those are very rare and the cost of doing business. They are offset by extra generous people. Vast majority of people in all walks of life are decent, fair, reasonable people......

Since when are ALL cruise employees ENTITLED, come hell or high water, to what THEY say they should get?

Also, why do so many people automatically brand anyone who may want to use the "old fashioned way" (tipping for good service AFTER it is received to who provided it) is a "cheapskate" (see end of first paragraph, MOST people are fair....etc, that applies here too, imo) ?

There are legitimate arguments on all sides of this debate. I personally on principle do not agree with the idea of prepaying. I have always gone along with it AND dished out more cash on top of it (Hmmm cynic in me says that is the plan- they can have their cake and eat it too). Now we are having a second increase in amount of gratuitiy in less than 1 year. Even though it isnt a lot of money, its the principle. I am about to the point where I say- fine RCCL (or other cruise lines) if this is what you suggest (gratuities per day) then THAT is what you are going to get and no more extra cash. After all, service has been on the decline over the years anyway.

I surely don't believe a cruiser should have to discuss with someone from management why they feel they need to 'remove tips' during a cruise, just like in a local restaurant I would not want to discuss it with the manager of the locale either.

Like you, we don't prepay our gratuities with our final payment. I have no problem with it being added to the sea pass account on board. What has reduced in our experience is the 'extra tipping' to wait staff -- most of the time, there is just no reason to go above the amount that they will already receive from us via the gratuities being paid on our seapass. Our cabin steward is usually a different situation. We still have found that they go over and above with a wonderful attitude for the few things that we ask to have in our cabin throughout our cruise.