Concierge canapés

DaisyFire

I don't think that is what anyone is saying - at least I don't look at it like that. I do give my cabin steward a "pre-tip" if you want to call it that on the first day. But I don't even think its a "pre" As soon as I meet my cabin steward I ask them for a few things - extra pillows, extra hangers, ask for ice twice a day - just let them know how I like things for my trip. They tell me they will be happy to handle - and then I hand them my tip. A few weeks ago my attendant tried to hand it back! I insisted that she keep it and told her it was for my special requests. No bribe - just an ordinary tip for doing extra for me. Then at the end of the cruise I give extra if I felt they had given me great service - including the regular tips that are left on my account.

I understand everyone has different ways of looking at this issue. I just don't happen to look at it as bribing someone for service later on in my trip - but as a "thank you for taking care of the things I am asking for now as I may not be in the room when you bring or do them".

Tipping is a personal preference and you should continue to do what makes you happy - but I personally take offense at someone saying that I am trying to bribe someone! Happy Cruising!

Definitely a personal preference, My response was to a post by boatlover19.

Happy Sailing

I'm just stating my opinions and reasons for pre-tipping the cabin stewards. If your system works for you by all means stick with it. I do however, stand by my belief that pre-tipping shows an immediate appreciation for the hard work of the cabin stewards. Additionally, I think some cruisers come with serious entitlement issues because the gratuities are added automatically.

Absolutely understand it's your opinion....Luckily we are all entitled to our own.

Happy Sailing

I never pre-tip and always get outstanding service. Never had a problem getting anything I've asked for, within reason.

If you ask for a cheese plate in lieu of the standard afternoon canapes, and the stateroom attendant give you any sh!t, just tell 'em you've got it on previous cruises, so you're going to address this issue with the Hotel Director. I guarantee you will get your cheese plate. :rolleyes:

I totally agree...probably have been on about 30 cruises, a few as short as 4 days, and some as long as 39 days, don't recall any issue that jumps out at me that might have been different if I pre-tipped..But I also never go in with a sense of entitlement...I respect the employees, I know they work hard and I appreciate it !

I'm just stating my opinions and reasons for pre-tipping the cabin stewards. If your system works for you by all means stick with it. I do however, stand by my belief that pre-tipping shows an immediate appreciation for the hard work of the cabin stewards. Additionally, I think some cruisers come with serious entitlement issues because the gratuities are added automatically.

I'm more inclined to offer additional tips after good service rather than before. I feel that it's a reward as opposed to a bride if it comes in response to good service, but that's just my opinion.

I'm curious though, what do you do if the service is bad?

We don't pre tip, but we do bring a gift for our room attendants. Sometimes a t-shirt or something from California. However, I have watched what the crew buys when they go ashore and it's typically snacks or other items to eat. Since many of the staff are from Asian countries, they buy ramen or cup of noodles to eat on the ship (they must get tired of the ship's food.)

The last cruise I brought a case (16 packages of Korean ramen made in the USA) which was a big hit. It took up a lot of room in the suit case, but the good news is that my wife had more room to buy "stuff" without having to buy another suit case for the trip home (which we had to do on the last cruise).

We don't pre-tip, always ask for the cheese tray for every night, to be delivered every day whether we are there or not and never have a problem. Of course we are always polite to the attendants and say please and thank you. We usually give an extra tip at the end.

I don't think that is what anyone is saying - at least I don't look at it like that. I do give my cabin steward a "pre-tip" if you want to call it that on the first day. But I don't even think its a "pre" As soon as I meet my cabin steward I ask them for a few things - extra pillows, extra hangers, ask for ice twice a day - just let them know how I like things for my trip. They tell me they will be happy to handle - and then I hand them my tip. A few weeks ago my attendant tried to hand it back! I insisted that she keep it and told her it was for my special requests. No bribe - just an ordinary tip for doing extra for me. Then at the end of the cruise I give extra if I felt they had given me great service - including the regular tips that are left on my account.

I understand everyone has different ways of looking at this issue. I just don't happen to look at it as bribing someone for service later on in my trip - but as a "thank you for taking care of the things I am asking for now as I may not be in the room when you bring or do them".

Tipping is a personal preference and you should continue to do what makes you happy - but I personally take offense at someone saying that I am trying to bribe someone! Happy Cruising!

Spend a day in the service industry. It is hard work with low wages and unfortunately with some patrons that are not appreciative feeingl it is owed as their cruise experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with friendly "Hellos" and thanking your cabin steward ahead of time with an appreciative acknowledgement in the form of $$. Also realize that in today's economic state each cabin steward is now assigned twice as many cabins so they are doing twice the work. It's just good manners.

Spend a day in the service industry. It is hard work with low wages and unfortunately with some patrons that are not appreciative feeingl it is owed as their cruise experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with friendly "Hellos" and thanking your cabin steward ahead of time with an appreciative acknowledgement in the form of $$. Also realize that in today's economic state each cabin steward is now assigned twice as many cabins so they are doing twice the work. It's just good manners.

Once upon a time, I was the world's worst waitress and Eric has worked as a cook in more than one diner. We are excellent tippers, but we tip for good service. Which means we tip after the fact.

If the cheese tray is NOT the standard mid-afternoon snack that is expected to be delivered to the stateroom, and your room steward has honored your "special" request to have a cheese tray delivered instead, during what might be his ready time, don't you think that might qualify as service deserving of a tip the first time he brings it rather than the last? It sounds like a few posters feel the Steward is their non-suite Butler unfortunately.

Edited by clojacks

If the cheese tray is NOT the standard mid-afternoon snack that is expected to be delivered to the stateroom, and your room steward has honored your "special" request to have a cheese tray delivered instead, during what might be his ready time, don't you think that might qualify as service deserving of a tip the first time he brings it rather than the last?

If the question was directed to me, than I have to say if we made a special request, we would tip when the service was rendered. Just like we tip for room service.

Interesting thread

...talking about tips,

..."other" pax entitlement attitude and yet demanding a cheese plate instead of the "included" canapes.

We have no problem with the gratuities going on the tab daily...and tip with cash for extraordinary service.

Certainly if we asked for something different that what is offered, we'd tip for them making the accommodation (going above and beyond)

Happy sailing. Grateful to be getting a few days of RnR

If the cheese tray is NOT the standard mid-afternoon snack that is expected to be delivered to the stateroom, and your room steward has honored your "special" request to have a cheese tray delivered instead, during what might be his ready time, don't you think that might qualify as service deserving of a tip the first time he brings it rather than the last? It sounds like a few posters feel the Steward is their non-suite Butler unfortunately.

I am a vegetarian so have always asked for cheese and crackers instead of the regular canapes.

I don't think the steward makes up the trays - I think the kitchen for room service does that and the steward may deliver them.

I also don't think I'm treating my steward as a butler as the cheese tray is probably a common request.

We have also always tipped at the end of the cruise rather than the beginning and have almost always had excellent service.

Once upon a time, I was the world's worst waitress and Eric has worked as a cook in more than one diner. We are excellent tippers, but we tip for good service. Which means we tip after the fact.

I've been in the service industry too...waitress, store clerk (JC Penny) until I moved to the County where I retired after 30 years, I usually always tip above and beyond...but after service, not prior to...

Your cabin steward is too busy to get you the cheese plate. Shame on him/her. I usually request either the shrimp or cheese plate. I have never been told to call room service by my steward. On the request form, I write in what I want. Whatever you do, don't pre-tip or port-tip that steward. That steward should be off the ship.

We've never requested anything but the canapes. We like most of them. What I don't like, Eric does. It works. We both like olives and hummus and that helps.

I liked the old canapés before they came up with the olives, hummus, and stale ships.

Little did I know I would start all this with my original post :)

For this cruise, I had a couple of special requests I had planned to make in addition to the cheese plate vs. canapes - and had planned to give him a tip up front - but only after he agreed to the requests. Since I got shot down after the first one, I decided not to make the other requests at that point - or provide the extra tip.

We did enjoy the standard canapés a couple of the days - and I made up my own cheese plate from the afternoon buffet at least once. Never did call and request from room service...

Over the course of the 5 days - I did ask for ice every afternoon (though I left a note each day with the request) and the room was always taken care of efficiently so I did leave a little something extra at the end of the cruise as I did appreciate the consistency and timeliness in maintaining our room.

There were several on board during the trip that went above and beyond standard service and they were tipped accordingly. We also had the opportunity to brag to the maitre de about our waiters and sommelier. They were rewarded with certificates to dine at Bistro on Five as well as a note added to their performance record as a commendation for superior service. It was nice to see them rewarded for their efforts to make our cruise extra special!

I never pre-tip and always get outstanding service. Never had a problem getting anything I've asked for, within reason.

If you ask for a cheese plate in lieu of the standard afternoon canapes, and the stateroom attendant give you any sh!t, just tell 'em you've got it on previous cruises, so you're going to address this issue with the Hotel Director. I guarantee you will get your cheese plate. :rolleyes:

Some one spoke of people with entitlement issues....see above for a prime example....... don't get what you think you deserve, threaten the persons job security....nice! :rolleyes:

Some one spoke of people with entitlement issues....see above for a prime example....... don't get what you think you deserve, threaten the persons job security....nice! :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post

If you ask for a cheese plate in lieu of the standard afternoon canapes, and the stateroom attendant give you any sh!t, just tell 'em you've got it on previous cruises, so you're going to address this issue with the Hotel Director. I guarantee you will get your cheese plate.

I guarantee you will get your cheese plate and a little spit to got with it!!:D

Even better. Get yourself a nice frozen drink at the sailaway bar, pass thru the oceanview, grab a plate, put your drink down as you need that hand to SERVE YOURSELF, asst cheeses, veggies, as well as little hors devours sandwiches, that are there every afternoon. Once the plate is full, you can pick up your drink and carry both items to your rooms by yourself. This saves you from all this added tipping stress. No waiting, no worrying. Plus you get what you want. I know it's a vacation, and some feel this is all part of the fee, which it may be, but really. And I don't know whether tipping before or after is more beneficial. Have always tipped according to service received, not before.

Even better. Get yourself a nice frozen drink at the sailaway bar, pass thru the oceanview, grab a plate, put your drink down as you need that hand to SERVE YOURSELF, asst cheeses, veggies, as well as little hors devours sandwiches, that are there every afternoon. Once the plate is full, you can pick up your drink and carry both items to your rooms by yourself. This saves you from all this added tipping stress. No waiting, no worrying. Plus you get what you want. I know it's a vacation, and some feel this is all part of the fee, which it may be, but really. And I don't know whether tipping before or after is more beneficial. Have always tipped according to service received, not before.

You must not have been here for the pithy comments about people who take food back to their rooms. A number of people made some rather rude comments about other people being afraid they'd starve.

You must not have been here for the pithy comments about people who take food back to their rooms. A number of people made some rather rude comments about other people being afraid they'd starve.

I didn't see any comments at all like that in this thread. Not sure where that is coming from???

We had a concierge cabin on Millennium and received 3 apples which stayed on the table for the entire cruise.:( Sailing out of Singapore - they may not get the canape thing , although we didnt care anyway - still put on the usual 5 cruise kilos.:eek: