Liquid eggs??

Krazy Kruizers

How many ways can you spell disgusting. Don't remember scrambled eggs being that bad Feb. 2015. Fast forward this Feb. wow tried them two mornings in a row, next went to omelet's just as bad.:( Fried eggs just right at least they were real and cooked just right.

You can be surprised on how scrambled eggs are made for steam table/ buffet use. They can be mixed with a white gravy (with or without chicken bouillon) so they can stay moist for a long time. Not all places do this, and I would think less with all the "gluten is of the devil" but you never know.

I had the pasteurized product for my first breakfast in room service. It was an unnatural yellow and believe I mentioned it in my live thread. I also found the texture and taste to be a bit off what I wanted though it wasn't truly horrible. It wasn't passable enough for me to order any more omelettes. Instead, I ordered poached or over easy and they were real. And delish!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You mean that you thought they made everything from scratch?

You know those decks you don't see on the deck plans? The ones below the passenger decks? The one labeled "C Deck" is where they keep the chickens.

What do you all think of the new liquid eggs that HAL is using to make omelets and scrambled eggs?

I don't understand what the "new" liquid eggs means. I have been getting omelets on HAL for over 10 years almost every morning on our cruises and they have always been a liquid egg. I know it is from a container that is frozen as often it is still semi-frozen as they are dipping it out and putting it into the pan. I know you can ask for "real eggs" and have seen people do that but the liquid stuff has been fine for me. Looking forward to 66 days of omelets on the Maasdam this fall.:D

Heavens no, not everything from scratch. It just seems now that nothing is from scratch.

One cruise we had some really good ollieballen (dutch deep fried raisin bun) and when I asked the chef for the recipe, he gave me the name of the mix they use. I had a good chuckle.

I've used liquid eggs many times quite happily. This colour was like it had dye or turmeric or something in it. And if it is just liquid eggs with colour then either they lost something in the storage process or cooking process, or the unnatural colour got the better of my imagination. They seemed kind of rubbery, though.

I've used liquid eggs many times quite happily. This colour was like it had dye or turmeric or something in it. And if it is just liquid eggs with colour then either they lost something in the storage process or cooking process, or the unnatural colour got the better of my imagination. They seemed kind of rubbery, though.

Sounds like maybe they changed brands/suppliers.

On my last cruise at the omelet station, I saw them refilling the egg container from a very large commercial plastic bottle. They had to open it and I didn't see a brand name on it so you know it is some no name brand liquid egg product filled with preservatives. Who knows if it is 100 percent egg product. Was not appetizing at all. After that I would just order a fried "real" egg.

This liquid egg stuff that HAL is now using does come in big containers -- not like the Egg Beaters that we have seen in previous years. It was not horrible looking.

On previous cruises I have always been able to get warm Belgium Waffles in the Pinnacle. Not on this cruise. They make large batches at a time and put them a so called heat plate -- which does not keep them warm. I may be weird, but I like my pancakes and waffles hot.

Just as a point of reference, the SYSCO (major commercial/industrial food distributor in US) liquid egg product contains: whole eggs, whey, skim milk, citric acid (to preserve color), 0.12% water (as carrier for citric acid), xanthan gum (emulsion stabilizer).

On previous cruises I have always been able to get warm Belgium Waffles in the Pinnacle. Not on this cruise. They make large batches at a time and put them a so called heat plate -- which does not keep them warm. I may be weird, but I like my pancakes and waffles hot.

You might be weird, but then there are two of us.

On my last cruise at the omelet station, I saw them refilling the egg container from a very large commercial plastic bottle. They had to open it and I didn't see a brand name on it so you know it is some no name brand liquid egg product filled with preservatives. Who knows if it is 100 percent egg product. Was not appetizing at all. After that I would just order a fried "real" egg.

The fun comes in when 100% by USDA terms does not mean 100% of a product.

This liquid egg stuff that HAL is now using does come in big containers -- not like the Egg Beaters that we have seen in previous years. It was not horrible looking.

In the Lido, I do prefer an omelet rather than scrambled eggs. If the eggs appear "watery", I pass.

As to waffles: I have better luck getting warm--not hot--waffles in the MDR than in the Lido. In the Lido, if the waffles are freshly made--and I have been so lucky to be there at just the right time--they are great. Otherwise, the only saving grace for the Lido waffles is that the fruit compote served with it usually is hot.

At the tender age of 18 as a college Freshman, one did not need to be a Rhodes Scholar to learn very quickly that one did NOT accept scrambled eggs in the Cafeteria line. Powdered eggs are vile!

I thought the omelets and scrambled eggs during our Hal cruise on the Westerdam in March tasted terrible. I tried them twice and finally gave up. I would like to know if you can actually ask for an omelet or scrambled eggs made from real eggs and where is the best place to ask. Would you ask at the buffet where they make fried eggs or at the omelet station and then someone runs to get real eggs?

I thought the omelets and scrambled eggs during our Hal cruise on the Westerdam in March tasted terrible. I tried them twice and finally gave up. I would like to know if you can actually ask for an omelet or scrambled eggs made from real eggs and where is the best place to ask. Would you ask at the buffet where they make fried eggs or at the omelet station and then someone runs to get real eggs?

Ask at the omelet station and tell them you wait until they get the real eggs.

The waffles and pancakes I ordered were while we had breakfast in the Pinnacle.

On other ships the kitchen would make them as the orders came in no matter a person ate in the dining room or the Pinnacle.

As to the compotes -- I don't bother with them. I like butter -- not whipped -- and no syrup.. I know -- butter is not good for you. But I only get them on ships.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

If they cut down those Maple Trees on the Observation Deck and start using fake syrup for my belgian waffle.......... :rolleyes:

There was no Maple Syrup in the Lido last week on the Noordam. There was something called Breakfast Syrup.

What is Breakfast Syrup?

The waffles and pancakes I ordered were while we had breakfast in the Pinnacle.

On other ships the kitchen would make them as the orders came in no matter a person ate in the dining room or the Pinnacle.

As to the compotes -- I don't bother with them. I like butter -- not whipped -- and no syrup.. I know -- butter is not good for you. But I only get them on ships.

Butter is much better for you than liquid sugar (syrup). :)

(The current science agrees with me.)

... I may be weird, but I like my pancakes and waffles hot.

We like them hot also. As a matter of fact, when I make buttermilk waffles at home (from scratch) they are eaten as soon as they come off the waffle iron.

What do you all think of the new liquid eggs that HAL is using to make omelets and scrambled eggs?

I thought they were revolting. There was no substance to them. Neither DH or I could eat them and I love scrambled eggs. They didn't "chew"....just sort of melted away.

I stuck with granola after that.