Liquid eggs??

Krazy Kruizers

There was no Maple Syrup in the Lido last week on the Noordam. There was something called Breakfast Syrup.

What is Breakfast Syrup?

If it was made from scratch, which we can safely assume it isn't, breakfast syrup is generally 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup corn syrup, 1 cup water, and 1 tsp vanilla. This makes 2 cups syrup.

If it's similar to Aunt Jemima's Original syrup, the ingredients are corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, cellulose gum, caramel color, salt, sodium benzoate and sorbic acid (preservatives), artificial and natural flavors, sodium hexametaphosphate. (from Aunt Jemima website).

Breakfast syrup reminds me of when I was in university and worked in a restaurant kitchen. I would always request fresh apples for deserts and was always told to use the big box of apple pie filling that was sitting on the cupboard shelf. That stuff was nasty and could last 100 years without any refrigeration. :eek:

Edited by cbr663

There was no Maple Syrup in the Lido last week on the Noordam. There was something called Breakfast Syrup.

What is Breakfast Syrup?

I've never seen Maple syrup on a ship (unless I bring some). I always laugh when the major brands of "syrup" use "thick and rich" as a mark of premium quality, when real maple syrup is very thin.

KK,

Like you, I thought waffles required butter and syrup.

But, I kept seeing in that location in the Lido the different compotes.

One morning, I tried the hot Peach Compote: no whipped cream/topping/whatever. The next morning: the hot Blueberry Compote. Both were very good.

Still enjoy at home butter and syrup on waffles, but my chef, aka me, does not prepare such compotes.

Just like "Mikey" on some old TV commercials said: "Try it. You'll like it." Maybe you will too.

I've never seen Maple syrup on a ship (unless I bring some). I always laugh when the major brands of "syrup" use "thick and rich" as a mark of premium quality, when real maple syrup is very thin.

That's where the idea came from!

Around Christmas, I was shopping in one of those "treasure hunt" stores (Ross/TJMaxx type) and a lady was asking the guy stocking the shelf if the bottle of REAL Maple syrup was the "thick" type. It was obvious he had no clue what maple syrup was, and my couriosity was caught on that. (My family gathered their own sap, and made their own syrup with some of it as a large part of their income in the '20's -40's, so I have heard the stories). Back to the lady: there were 2 bottles of the stuff- a medium Amber and a DARK Amber. She kept asking me which was the thicker- as a measure of quality. It took a bit of an explanation to get her to think in terms of lighter color, more delicate flavor, beginning of the run being the more "sought out" grade, over the DARK later run (best for cooking). I ended up recommending stopping by Trader Joes for a much less priced Medium Amber. (The price for the small bottle was close to the price for "Fancy".)

Just as a point of reference, the SYSCO (major commercial/industrial food distributor in US) liquid egg product contains: whole eggs, whey, skim milk, citric acid (to preserve color), 0.12% water (as carrier for citric acid), xanthan gum (emulsion stabilizer).

I'm hoping the xanthum gum is the "gravy" a previous poster mentioned. Would hate to have to be concerned about flour in the eggs.

White gravy (basic milk and roux) could be anywhere there is buffet eggs. Xanthum gum can be made from corn, wheat, soy, dairy and, other biological sources. It is in so much we eat now as a society is common as corn syrup.

What is Breakfast Syrup?

Commercial and commonly found in grocery stores is mostly corn syrup and water with flavorings and caramel colour added. Maple flavor could be real or could be artificial.

Breakfast/Pancake Syrup is about $8 a gallon while Maple Syrup is about $50 a gallon.

I'm hoping the xanthum gum is the "gravy" a previous poster mentioned. Would hate to have to be concerned about flour in the eggs.

White gravy (basic milk and roux) could be anywhere there is buffet eggs. Xanthum gum can be made from corn, wheat, soy, dairy and, other biological sources. It is in so much we eat now as a society is common as corn syrup.

Xanthan gum is a fermentation product of glucose, and as theemerson says, this glucose can be from any biological source. The thing to note is that xanthan gum is listed lower than the 0.12% water, so there is very little of it in there.

KK,

Like you, I thought waffles required butter and syrup.

But, I kept seeing in that location in the Lido the different compotes.

One morning, I tried the hot Peach Compote: no whipped cream/topping/whatever. The next morning: the hot Blueberry Compote. Both were very good.

Still enjoy at home butter and syrup on waffles, but my chef, aka me, does not prepare such compotes.

Just like "Mikey" on some old TV commercials said: "Try it. You'll like it." Maybe you will too.

I tried one of the compotes a few years ago. Too sweet for me.

Butter works for me.

I thought they were revolting. There was no substance to them. Neither DH or I could eat them and I love scrambled eggs. They didn't "chew"....just sort of melted away.

I stuck with granola after that.

After DH tried a couple bites, he knew he had forgotten to say "real eggs" please. he didn't finish his breakfast.

He went back to ordering one of the Eggs Benedict.

Use of liquid eggs is nothing new on HAL. That's been going on for at least 10 years in my memory. I can remember seeing bags being emptied into containers for use on one of my Voyage of the Vikings cruises (last one in '05).

It could be the supplier has changed, and this one doesn't have as good a product.

I tried one of the compotes a few years ago. Too sweet for me.

Butter works for me.

Nothing is ever too sweet for me;:D I especially love the cherry and mango compote. On a cruise, I tend to eat all the stuff I don't regularly eat at home, i.e. lots of sugary stuff, meat such as beef and lamb, butter, etc. I figure 10 to 14 days of eating this stuff won't kill me. Once I get home, I can't even bear to look at meat for a month and I go back to healthy (sort of) eating.

will turn green in a very short time if left in a steamer. That's why they use the liquid eggs.

That is the reaction happens faster with aluminium trays. If left in stainless steel the reaction is not as fast but still happens due to the chemical makeup of the yolk and the whites reacting. Lemon juice is also used to restrict the turning of colour.

RuthC, yes the chef said the liquid eggs (which have never been a problem for me) have changed...they are getting them from a new supplier. If we all complain and also request real eggs to be used for scrambled and omelettes they will get the message...like they did with teas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

.... have changed...they are getting them from a new supplier. If we all complain and also request real eggs to be used for scrambled and omelettes they will get the message...like they did with teas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Quail? Emu? Turkey?

My fondest breakfast memories from the Prinsendam Lido Buffet a few years ago was that they served a different kind of poached eggs (mainly a different sauce or bread) every morning. Do they still serve those?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

We also have noticed a change in the omelettes. In February we enjoyed them on the Volendam, in March we stopped ordering them on the Nieuw Amsterdam as they were totally different, basically airy fluff, no texture. We all ordered only identifiable eggs, ie; all American breakfast, Benedicts after lousy omelets. Now, I'm going to get my Southwest omelets again by specifying only real eggs, please. This thread was very enlightening, and just what we suspected. I don't mind that things aren't from scratch, but let's have quality!

My fondest breakfast memories from the Prinsendam Lido Buffet a few years ago was that they served a different kind of poached eggs (mainly a different sauce or bread) every morning. Do they still serve those?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Brandis I see you sent your message through a German server so I'm hoping that what you're talking about are eggs Benedict or the many variations of them: toasted English muffin, back bacon (Canadian bacon in the US), poached egg and hollandaise. If you are, I'm please to report you can still get them and they are not made with liquid eggs. You can get variations with salmon (smoked, lox or grilled), cream cheese, asparagus, etc depending on what the kitchen has on hand and yours or their imagination!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't understand what the "new" liquid eggs means. I have been getting omelets on HAL for over 10 years almost every morning on our cruises and they have always been a liquid egg. I know it is from a container that is frozen as often it is still semi-frozen as they are dipping it out and putting it into the pan. I know you can ask for "real eggs" and have seen people do that but the liquid stuff has been fine for me. Looking forward to 66 days of omelets on the Maasdam this fall.:D

My DH loves the omelettes too and has them every day on a cruise. Years ago I noticed they used liquid eggs from a carton and I stopped having their omelettes and scrambled eggs. I asked a few times for scrambled eggs to be made from real eggs and was told no, so I have poached or boiled eggs instead. Either way I'm not cooking or doing the dishes so I'm happy with that!