Liquid eggs??

Krazy Kruizers

Is this new for HAL? Or just at the omelet station? Because I'm pretty sure that if they have a pan of scrambled eggs in the buffet line, it is "pasteurized egg product". The only thing added to the eggs is an emulsifier to keep them mixed up while in storage. And being pasteurized, of course. Nearly every line uses these to a great extent, from baking to hollandaise.

Before we left on our Westerdam cruise, someone had mentioned them in a review.

So I remembered to tell my DH to order REAL eggs whenever he wanted an omelet or scrambled. Well he forgot a couple of times and got this new liquid.

Apparently this is something new for HAL the last few months.

The scrambled eggs were very watery.

The omelet was like rubber.

They are used in the Lido, dining room and Pinnacle Grill.

I do not see anything wrong with scrambled eggs and omelets made with pre-cracked eggs as long as they leave in all the yolk. Liquid eggs are eggs, my taste buds are not refined enough to tell the difference. I would like to see the results of some double blind taste tests, doubt many people could tell the difference.

Doesn't affect me anyway, I prefer fried eggs.

"Free" motel breakfasts are notorious for offering scrambled eggs with very little yolk.

Oh My Goodness.......I remember the good old days when I used Egg Beaters (Liquid Eggs) for almost every recipe that called for eggs.

They came in small milk cartons, just slightly larger than the milk cartons I got in school when I was a kid. They were perfect to us and If we ever used eggs anymore for baking, scrambling, omelets, etc...I might have hubby buy them again. But since we only eat eggs, sunny side up and over easy, once a week, it's not cost effective.

Thanks for letting us know about egg beaters being used KK. I'll be having an omelette or 2 in a couple weeks:)

Joanie

Resturants and Food Service can and do use one of the three.

• Whole eggs cracked for each order.
  • Whole eggs cracked beforehand, scrambled and stored for use.
  • Liquid Egg Product.

Whole eggs usually cost less as there is less involved before procurement. A number of restaurants buy whole egg and crack/scramble in the back-kitchen for use by the short order cooks. If your eggs are watery then the eggs were salted before cooking long beforehand thus pulling water out of the emulsion. If it is rubbery it is just overcooked. Liquid eggs are pasteurized (whole eggs can be pasteurized as well) and have ease of use. They are used in baked goods, egg dishes, everywhere and in everything. There is diffrent types of liquid eggs, from whole egg to other mixes. http://michaelfoods.com/foodservice/pdf/MICHAEL-FOODS-PAPETTIS-EASY-EGGS-DETAILS.pdf

At least they still have to use real eggs for the Eggs Benedict, don't they? My favourite food for breakfast while on a cruise.

For the poached egg, yes, for the Hollandaise sauce, nope. USPH requires use of pasteurized eggs or egg product for uncooked applications.

Oh My Goodness.......I remember the good old days when I used Egg Beaters (Liquid Eggs) for almost every recipe that called for eggs.

They came in small milk cartons, just slightly larger than the milk cartons I got in school when I was a kid. They were perfect to us and If we ever used eggs anymore for baking, scrambling, omelets, etc...I might have hubby buy them again. But since we only eat eggs, sunny side up and over easy, once a week, it's not cost effective.

Thanks for letting us know about egg beaters being used KK. I'll be having an omelette or 2 in a couple weeks:)

Joanie

Big difference between Egg Beaters and "unshelled eggs" to use another of their names. Egg Beaters were whites only, "pasteurized egg product" is whole eggs.

My biggest decision of the day on a HAL ship is whether to have Eggs Benedict or the fresh-made waffles. Sometimes I have both.:D

I keep to the simple things. Full English everyday. The staff in the Pinnacle know after the first day to have Tabasco and HP at the table with my order.

On our NA cruise in December we also noticed the regular use of liquid eggs. Stick to an over-easy, poached or boiled egg if you want an "actual" egg.

We have also noticed over the past several cruises that the quality of HAL's breakfast has been slipping. Most of the items offered now are mass produced and made from a mix.

Breads and pastries are frozen and baked off. Bagels and english muffins are generic, no-name discount supermarket brand. Muffins, cookies and scones are scoop and bake. Waffles and pancakes are made from a mix. Even the hollandaise sauce is from a mix.

I keep to the simple things. Full English everyday. The staff in the Pinnacle know after the first day to have Tabasco and HP at the table with my order.

My usual breakfast at home is two pieces of toast with peanut butter and jam or cheese, and then it's a rush to work. When I'm on a cruise, it is usually a full breakfast. I figure how much damage can I do in 10 to 14 days.;)

In 1894 Lamuel Benedict a Wall Street broker was suffering from a hangover and ordered two poached eggs, buttered toast, crisp bacon and hollandaise sauce at

the Waldorf Hotel.

No question is ever unanswered on CruiseCritic. :D You never know when this question comes up at trivia.

Agree, HAL Hollandaise sauce is an insipid affair - straight from a mix with no character. We always though that was odd on a "Holland" flagged ship - it should be a signature item. But it was probably the French who invented Hollandaise sauce in the first place, so why give them unearned credit. ;)

However NZ friends gave me their Pavlova recipe using dried egg whites with no fuss - just mix it all together for 10 minutes at high speed and it turns out a fine Pavlova without all the extra steps.

On our NA cruise in December we also noticed the regular use of liquid eggs. Stick to an over-easy, poached or boiled egg if you want an "actual" egg.

We have also noticed over the past several cruises that the quality of HAL's breakfast has been slipping. Most of the items offered now are mass produced and made from a mix.

Breads and pastries are frozen and baked off. Bagels and english muffins are generic, no-name discount supermarket brand. Muffins, cookies and scones are scoop and bake. Waffles and pancakes are made from a mix. Even the hollandaise sauce is from a mix.

You mean that you thought they made everything from scratch?

Big difference between Egg Beaters and "unshelled eggs" to use another of their names. Egg Beaters were whites only, "pasteurized egg product" is whole eggs.

Yes it is. It's real eggs. They're just not in the shell.

We belong to a group that does a lot of industrial tours. About a year ago, we went to an egg-processing facility. It's fascinating how they can check so many eggs so quickly. The ones that are cracked do not get packed into cartons to be sold as fresh eggs in a store. They get opened, mixed, and put into huge plastic bag-in-box containers. Some of the eggs get the yolks removed to produce "egg-beaters" type of egg white product. (I guess they also sell just yolks, but I don't remember that part of the explanation) The whole process is mostly mechanized, with human inspectors checking at various points.

They said they don't make as much on this product as they do on the fresh in-shell eggs, but since it would otherwise be a loss, they're at least recouping something.

This facility did not have a dehydration process, but I think powdered eggs might still be available somewhere. Now, THAT can be an inedible breakfast. But the liquid eggs are real eggs. As The Emerson says, they can be cooked badly, but that isn't the fault of the product.

I've been waiting to see how long it took for others to note the terrible eggs used for scrambled eggs and omelettes.

We complained to the head chef and were told we could ask for "real eggs" (the egg stuff they use is some kind of new pasteurized eggs they've not used before) for omelettes and scrambled eggs. So, if we inconvenience them enough they may get the message that way. It took the omelette person several minutes to go to the storage area, get the eggs, break them, etc...

Before they have used "liquid eggs" also for omelettes and scrambled, but this was SOOO different...we told the chef it was akin to eating mooshed insulation.

If we don't like them, don't eat them...and ask for "real eggs" every time...they'll change!

How many ways can you spell disgusting. Don't remember scrambled eggs being that bad Feb. 2015. Fast forward this Feb. wow tried them two mornings in a row, next went to omelet's just as bad.:( Fried eggs just right at least they were real and cooked just right. On a side note several mornings just wanted a slice of untoasted bread for a bacon sandwich. It always amused me how it seemed to throw them into a tizzy when asking for one slice untoasted.:eek: Perhaps bit of a language barrier there.:D