Protocol for reserving a table in the cafeteria

NCCruiseguy111

Do any of you know if there is an acceptable protocol for reserving a table in the cafeteria for breakfast and lunch? We are on the Infinity and set at an empty table waiting for several friends to arrive. 10 minutes later another couple arrived saying "you are at our table". I said "How is that so." they said "you're at our table this is our silverware" and they pointed to two sets of wrapped silverware setting in the middle of the table. I replied I've never heard of that before but you can have a table it's notWorth getting into a disagreement. So is there an accepted protocol? We usually have one of us go get their meal and return, then the other does the same. I've never heard that placing silverware on empty table guaranteed you a reserved table. ??

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...I would have told em you are welcome to that silverware :p

Now, that is funny, I don't care who you are. :)

Edited by Texed

We always get our drinks first and leave them at the table. That has always been enough for other people to get the idea that a table was taken.

Sometimes, waiters will lean the chair back up against the table at an angle to signify that a table is taken.

OP, you were right just to move on. No big deal. Next time, just get your drinks first and leave them at the table with maybe a book or something and most people will get the idea.

We are those people too.

Unlike others who prefer to eat while their friends or spouse is getting food, my husband and I like to eat together and at the same time.

We usually eat only breakfast, and sometimes lunch at the buffet. In the morning we each get a juice, a coffee, and cutlery. We then set 'our table' so it is clear we are coming back. Then we go and get our food meeting back at 'our' table.

We have done this many, many times on more than one cruise line and it allows us to enjoy our meal together.

I guess I'd be upset if someone moved all our stuff but I figure saving a table for 5-10 minutes should be fine considering some put towels on lounge chairs for hours.

So far this method has worked fine for us, at lunch we just lay out our cutlery and ice water.

It would be sad to have to go one at a time and then eat cold food so we could enjoy each others company.

Hmm. Honestly, if we saw wrapped cutlery at a table with no one around, we would not sit down. Someone obviously is coming back to that table shortly and it's "taken", as far as we are concerned. I guess others disagree, but that's how we feel. :)

A+ - pending on the number of settings vs seating, it is quite possible to share the table also.

We have done that in OV many times and it was not an issue.

bon voyage

Like others we usually get napkins, cutlery and a drink with which we "lay up" the table and then we go to get our meals.

I suppose in some ways it is a bit naughty to be "reserving" a table in this way but the alternative is to walk around with your hot food getting cold while you try to find somewhere to sit.

We never stay sitting at the table when we have finished our food and leave promptly to allow others to have a table so I don't feel too guilty at reserving a table for a maximum of five minutes before we actually start eating.

We have solved the problem of 'tag team' dining.

We find a table, order drinks, or get some ourselves, hubby or myself take turns at looking at what's available, report back to the table and whoeves turn it is that day gets the meals for both of us. We swap each day, so it's like getting waited on.

Works for us, :)

We have solved the problem of 'tag team' dining.

We find a table, order drinks, or get some ourselves, hubby or myself take turns at looking at what's available, report back to the table and whoeves turn it is that day gets the meals for both of us. We swap each day, so it's like getting waited on.

Works for us, :)

We do this with one small difference. My husband gets the food everyday. He likes to have a second mooch. Works for us. Like others we leave quickly after dining to give others a free table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually get our food first and then find a table. Food doesn't get cold if it isn't to crowded. If it is fairly crowded we will get drinks and silverware, leave them at a table and then get our food. If there are no smaller tables available we will sit at a big one and let people know that the other seats are empty.

No Assigned seats or reservations are allowed in a Cafeteria. You may grab a table and seat yourself and then reserve it. How you do it is by best with a Body then leaving your valuables.

When you enter and see Any Item on there, the first thing you do is Ask the Manager of that station is this Table taken? He or She will have to answer for it, not you.

Rather you being the One talked to, the Manager takes the blame.

As for you just planting down on some Chair hoggers table that is another story. We all would Ask first, and if "any" type of material is left, the only option would be for the Returners , is to ask you to Join them, grab a chair?

Rudeness goes a long way, and rather be rude one be's Polite.

You may disagree or agree. I move on and forgetabouutit?

Not all are on the same page or ever been on a cruise, could be their first time, etc..

We do this with one small difference. My husband gets the food everyday. He likes to have a second mooch. Works for us. Like others we leave quickly after dining to give others a free table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's a very considerate thing to do. ;) I have seen some families practically living at big tables for hours. :rolleyes:

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
forgot the "a"...been doing that too much lately! argh...

We go to the MDR. :)

Us too....only time I ate at the buffet was the day we boarded and we stood there for 25 minutes holding plates of lunch in our hands while we waited for another foursome to finish eating and relinquish their table. Never again!! True MDR is closed for lunch on port days but we're in the group that does all the excursions we can fit in, so b-fast on port days is usually room service on our balcony...and for lunch we go to the Aqua Spa Cafe for a salad. I do agree that if there's a napkin, silverware and a glass on the table just waiting for food to appear, it's not polite to take it. :)

BUT I would never leave my seapass on the table unattended.

My Bride and myself usually travel with another couple so the wives go first while we grab a drink and a table and when they return we go get our food. If we are alone and there is a shortage of tables don't be surprised when we ask to join another couple sitting by themselves at a table for six.:D