I am Certain Princess would act differently

kruisey

While I feel sorry for her I have little sympathy. It is her responsibility to be back on time. It is very selfish to expect thousands of people to wait for you. Those are now some very expensive souveniers

She is out spending the day shopping and I assume her husband came back to the ship with the kids. She is so engrossed in her shopping in a foreign port that she loses track of the time and her family as she returns to the ship over 40 minutes late. What the heck did she expect to have happened? The ship with 1000's of passengers with a next port of call to just wait there for her while she finished her shopping. Once the decision is made to leave port it is done as to redock and tie up just for a minute will cost thousands of dollars in docking fees. Sorry it was not Princess's or the dock workers problem. If they were so concerned about their children the husband should have stayed on board with them.

Princess would of done the same thing. I saw two people miss the ship in Portugal on my last Princess cruise.

Some/all Princess captains would have done exactly the same thing. I, too, saw a couple in the port area at Crown Bay St. Thomas, walking (not running) back to the ship. The port agent saw them and yelled to the crew members at the door opening that the passengers we were waiting for had arrived. Still, the ship released its last lines and pushed away from the pier while the couple was close enough to talk with from the Promenade Deck. It happens.

If the ship left with the kids wouldn't that be considered kidnapping?

It would appear that they had relatives or other traveling companions on board. My guess is this would be checked prior to leaving without the parents so that there is no "kidnapping" (really? :rolleyes:)

I have since read that it was agreed that the father would get of the ship with travel documents and children remained with Uncle. So understandable from the fathers point if view & they met the ship when it arrived in New York. The ship waited for about an hour before pulling away. Who knows what delayed the woman. Still traumatic to know your kids are on the ship even with other family members.

This was the lead story on Inside Edition a few mins. ago. There were three kids and they had an uncle on board to supervise them and the parents were reunited with them in NY. Live and learn and pay attention to departure times. I don't blame NCL for anything.

If the ship had already pulled away from the pier, there certainly would have been no returning, be it Princess or any other line.

Exactly. OP, you're looking at Princess through rose-colored glasses if you think they'd come back to the dock once leaving.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

To this other cruise line that saw a mother pleading at dockside as ship was leaving port with her two children and husband on board.....left her stranded because she was late arriving. Yes I know everyone is told when to be back on board...there could have been an explanation for her late return.

This is where Princess would have picked her up.

I doubt it [emoji6]

To this other cruise line that saw a mother pleading at dockside as ship was leaving port with her two children and husband on board.....left her stranded because she was late arriving. Yes I know everyone is told when to be back on board...there could have been an explanation for her late return.

This is where Princess would have picked her up.

Simple as stupid is as stupid does! Sorry, no sympathy from me on this. Everyone, no matter who, is fully instructed as to be on board by "X" time. I've seen plenty of pax running like crazy to get to the ship & all we can do is wave back. It's on YOU to make sure you get back in time. If it's a ship sponsored excursion. They will either wait, or make arrangements to get you to the next port. My reasoning for no sympathy, is why did she go off on her own??? Again, no sympathy from me!

Several of my cruises with Princess we have waited for late passengers.

Yes, I noticed that on the Regal Feb.7-21. Never heard so many names mentioned at each port. I wonder if this happens more on Princess than some other lines. Only on Cunard did I only see it happen once on 7 trips. The Regal had at least 3-5 names mentioned at every port, surprisingly even on Princess Cays.

Edited by keithm
spelling

Our experience with Princess is that they seem to be very good about waiting for people who are tardy. Obviously they are not go to wait forever but they seem to exhibit some amount of tolerance. However, on our last Celebrity cruise, which I admit was a few years ago, there did not seem to be an tolerance at all, if the ship was scheduled to leave at 1700 it left at 1700 not at 1705.

That's the way it should be! It's up to the dopes out there to make sure they get back in time. This includes taxi breakdowns etc. Schedule ENOUGH time!

Yes, I noticed that on the Regal Feb.7-21. Never heard so many names mentioned at each port. I wonder if this happens more on Princess than some other lines. Only on Cunard did I only see it happen once on 7 trips. The Regal had at least 3-5 names mentioned at every port, surprisingly even on Princess Cays.

We never heard any names being paged on our Regal cruise in April, but we have heard people on many other cruise lines being paged near sail away time, specifically Equinox

Edited by 4cats4me

Agree. Don't think Princess would have gone back once the ship had already left.

A couple of times we have been on Princess ships when they have slowed speed to allow a pilot boat with late folks to catch up with them.

cruised many times with Princess and usually there are at least a couple of name announcements at departure time and each time Princess has waited for them at least 30 minutes.

I still feel sorry for what happened to this lady I am certain she has an explanation.Very few folks are that selfish to hold up a ship .

cruised many times with Princess and usually there are at least a couple of name announcements at departure time and each time Princess has waited for them at least 30 minutes.

I still feel sorry for what happened to this lady I am certain she has an explanation.Very few folks are that selfish to hold up a ship .

But no matter how good my excuse is, I wouldn't expect the ship to wait for me!

The kids were doubtless traumatized. Dad should not have left them on the ship like some sort of "collateral."

Leaving a 12 year old with an Uncle and other family sounds better than stuck in a port with no way back with two hysterical parents. These weren't nursing newborns.

Dad got off with the travel documents so mom could get home. I could see how this could happen with time changes and all. I could also see why a husband would want to make sure his wife was ok and not all by herself in a foreign county. Meanwhile the kids were on a luxury cruise ship with extended family.

I don't blame the Cruiseline for having to leave and not turning around. I hope I never make this type of mistake, my biggest nightmare would be being left on my knees on the dock like that WITHOUT a family member or friend at my side.

Once I got on the expressway going the wrong way on a long trip and was too stupid to realize it until I crossed the state line! So I guess I can relate to dumb"you should have know better" mistakes.

We were having dinner about to sail away from the port in Livorno and a group of men were running to the ship (they made it). At the port in Livorno we were on a ship excursion to the Cinque Terre and we weren't worried that the ship would leave without us. However, we were stuck in traffic in the port on the bus and it was getting late and we wanted to change before our early seating dinner. I thought about just getting off the bus and walking to the ship. I imagine the group that was running to the ship had not done a ship excursion and probably their taxi was stuck in that traffic and they decided to just run to the ship.

This is why when you aren't familiar with a port- it's best to do a ship excursion. Why chance it? If you've been there and know what to anticipate- then do your own thing.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain