The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth (which is probably more than it's worth.)

My wife and I will be going on our first Oceania cruise in July and I fully intend to wear a nice pair of slacks when we go to any of the restaurants for dinner. The dress code says no jeans so I will abide by that. But...

If I had the choice of sitting at two different tables where, at the first table there was a man(woman) wearing his $500 Armani trousers but this man was loud, obnoxious, uncouth, monopolized the conversation, talked with his mouth full, and constantly berated the wait staff etc. or, I could sit at a different table where the man(woman) was, mannerly, witty, an interesting conversationalist who was always considerate and polite, but this man was wearing jeans, I know at which table I would rather sit. Even if that meant I would have to sit in the Terrace Cafe.

I understand why Oceania and many other venues have dress codes and, as I said, I will abide by them. But I also think that we (myself included) sometimes are more concerned with how a person looks rather than who they are.

I hope everyone's next trip is a great one.

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth (which is probably more than it's worth.)

My wife and I will be going on our first Oceania cruise in July and I fully intend to wear a nice pair of slacks when we go to any of the restaurants for dinner. The dress code says no jeans so I will abide by that. But...

If I had the choice of sitting at two different tables where, at the first table there was a man(woman) wearing his $500 Armani trousers but this man was loud, obnoxious, uncouth, monopolized the conversation, talked with his mouth full, and constantly berated the wait staff etc. or, I could sit at a different table where the man(woman) was, mannerly, witty, an interesting conversationalist who was always considerate and polite, but this man was wearing jeans, I know at which table I would rather sit. Even if that meant I would have to sit in the Terrace Cafe.

I understand why Oceania and many other venues have dress codes and, as I said, I will abide by them. But I also think that we (myself included) sometimes are more concerned with how a person looks rather than who they are.

Excellent post - could not have said it better myself.

Some things are far more important than others - for me, anyway.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence." (Mark Twain)

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence." (Mark Twain)

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read that!

Just a thought, does Oceania ever do themed cruises for naturists? Think of the packing space you'd save.

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read that!

Just a thought, does Oceania ever do themed cruises for naturists? Think of the packing space you'd save.

The money Oceania would save..... I FOR ONE would not have much of an appetite in the main dining room. I would rather see "dressy jeans"

I have met so many interesting people on cruises. I do not really remember what they were wearing, but I do remember the stories they told. There were a few outrageous dressers too. I actually enjoyed some of them also!

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob hear !

I find this thread to be very amuzing. Jeans have come a long way since I began wearing them; sometime last century. In those days jeans were mostly worn by farmers or outdoorsy people. My first pair of jeans I bought, I believe cost me $4.99. If I got holes in those jeans I would just sew them up or throw them away. But if I had kept those jeans with holes in them they would be worth hundreds of dollars. Boy has this new generation been brainwashed ! No matter where you go out to eat, whether on the boat on in restaurants, everyone is wearing jeans.

A long time ago someone told me how all this fuss about jeans got started and how you were coached into paying such high prices for these jeans. Here how it goes:

There was this French designer who wanted to design a new type of jean. He worked for years perfecting his or her design. Then one day he or she had finished and called in a French Model to try on the new jeans. The Model barely got her body into the jeans; they were very tight she could hardly bend over. The French designer asked the Model to turn around and bend over. Once the model bent over the entire backside of the jeans split wide open. The French designer was shocked and screamed.

"Sacre Bleu, Jordache is Showing"

and the rest is history.

"I'm Redneck Bob and I sse it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it."

You must be reading a completely different dress code than the one I see, and that has been quoted several times on this thread. See bolded part.

Cruise Junky , your right , 7 pages of drivel over not much at all and yes I helped it along .

So in the interests of continued drivel and tongue firmly in cheek I must say !

There are some awful dressers to be seen as well as some very well dressed on the cruises I have been on to date.

Sandals and socks must rate highly in the score or poor dress sense

And with ones jeans, would one wear trainers ( sneakers ) to dinner !

Oh and white socks with proper shoes , surely not , trainers yes , shoes no , bright colours yes.

Oh why is it some just do not nowadays know how to tie a tie and wear it properly , I can't abide the semi tight crooked knot look , always a double Windsor for me , tight even and symmetrical .,I can't do a bow tie though , must learn.

Now Jeeves where' s my trunk , we're off on cruise , don't you know old chap ! He will do just fine in steerage he knows his place.

Mauicat

I concur with your thoughts regarding other fellows on the table ! Last year on a table near by in Polo, a woman held court , she pontificated on various subjects barely letting her fellow table guests get a word in edge ways , it was funny to watch from afar , but clearly her captive audience were less than amused ! It was bad enough being once removed.

You must be reading a completely different dress code than the one I see, and that has been quoted several times on this thread. See bolded part.

ORV,

If you go to the Oceania Cruises Voyage Collection 2016 - 2017 online catalog https://www.oceaniacruises.com/emags/2016_17_Voyage_Collection_APR/index.html#/146/ on page 145, at the top upper right, it states "For evening dining, elegant casual wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, or flip flops not be worn at dinner."

The same information is in the Cruise Vacation Guide Official Documents booklet I recently received from Oceania where it states on page 1, "In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country casual dress code. Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana."

Now, if you want to quibble about the term "casual" okay. But, the only jeans I have are regular blue jeans and these would probably be considered as "casual." However, I never personally refer to them as casual jeans. I never say that I am going to put on a pair of casual jeans. I just say that I'm going to put on a pair of jeans. So I stand by my comment that the dress code says no "jeans" at dinner.

Would you please tell me what dress code you see?

ORV,

If you go to the Oceania Cruises Voyage Collection 2016 - 2017 online catalog https://www.oceaniacruises.com/emags/2016_17_Voyage_Collection_APR/index.html#/146/ on page 145, at the top upper right, it states "For evening dining, elegant casual wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, or flip flops not be worn at dinner."

The same information is in the Cruise Vacation Guide Official Documents booklet I recently received from Oceania where it states on page 1, "In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country casual dress code. Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana."

Now, if you want to quibble about the term "casual" okay. But, the only jeans I have are regular blue jeans and these would probably be considered as "casual." However, I never personally refer to them as casual jeans. I never say that I am going to put on a pair of casual jeans. I just say that I'm going to put on a pair of jeans. So I stand by my comment that the dress code says no "jeans" at dinner.

Would you please tell me what dress code you see?

I see "No Jeans." Jeans are casual however much they cost or where they were purchased. But then I am a Brit................ and not young.

BTW We have not seen much in the way of Jeans in the evening on Oceania, if any.

I see "No Jeans." Jeans are casual however much they cost or where they were purchased. But then I am a Brit................ and not young.

BTW We have not seen much in the way of Jeans in the evening on Oceania, if any.

Just returned from a concert at the wonderful but rather conservative Wigmore Hall. Most of the audience in the 60-80 range and sitting in the front row was a young lady, 20 something, with her parents. She had on totally torn jeans which we heard everyone in the audience talking about. There is always an exception to the norm, sad!

Last evening, sailing out of New York on Marina. 8 pm Rez at Polo. Group of four in front of us. Woman in nice, beaded sweater -- but faded, baggy cargo pants (the kind with zip off legs and huge pockets) and old, tired hiking boots.

The rest of the party appropriated attired. Hoping there was some lost luggage involved.

There is a difference between "no jeans" and "no casual jeans" If there wasn't then Oceania would not have amended their dress code that way. It's not quibbling or nitpicking. The rest is just opinion on what some people like to see.

Here's an analogy that some of you might understand. Most passengers would prefer that the whole ship be non smoking, many have strong opinions concerning this. But they're not in charge, and smoking is allowed in certain areas. It the same for non casual jeans, they're allowed, whether certain people like it or not. Your opinions really don't matter except to you. But if you want to pay my fare I'd be happy to follow your perceptions of what you consider proper dress.

FWIW, I won't be one in any type of jeans in the MDR or a Specialty restaurant. I might wear a pair to the Terrace in cooler weather or around the ship after 6pm. Sorry if that offends anyone. See above about paying my fare.

I will defend other's rights to wear nice jeans according to the dress code. I see no need for others to bully new customers with their opinions as to what they think is proper when it's in opposition to the dress code. We really need to stick to the facts here.

As has been stated many times the problem is that Oceania has never defined "non casual jeans"

This subject has been discussed over and over. FWIW, I only wanted to mention that I just got off a Regatta 16-day cruise and did not see anyone in the GDR or specialty restaurants for dinner in any type of jeans. Including non-casual, whatever that is. Lunch and breakfast are more casual in the GDR and shorts and jeans are fine in the Terrace Cafe and Waves Grill.

This subject has been discussed over and over. FWIW, I only wanted to mention that I just got off a Regatta 16-day cruise and did not see anyone in the GDR or specialty restaurants for dinner in any type of jeans. Including non-casual, whatever that is. Lunch and breakfast are more casual in the GDR and shorts and jeans are fine in the Terrace Cafe and Waves Grill.

If you don't know what non casual jeans are, how do you know people weren't wearing them? Lol!

I understand that some folk have not actually come across non casual/smart jeans. If so, why comment?

We were on the Nautica in January, going into the MDR, I was wearing black slacks, dressy top and strappy dress sandals that had bare toes with "flip flop" appearance.... the man in front of us had a horrible wrinkled shirt and khakis.... both looked like they had been wadded up... the hostess said, "Madam is wearing flip flops to dinner?????"..... but said nothing to the super casual dude in front of us.....

Some folks look more appropriately dressed in denim pants than others do in crumpled slacks.... just sayin'.... perception.....

If you don't know what non casual jeans are, how do you know people weren't wearing them? Lol!

I understand that some folk have not actually come across non casual/smart jeans. If so, why comment?

The term is ambiguous. The point I am trying to make is that I did not see anyone in any type of denim in any restaurant for dinner. Lighten up!

We were on the Nautica in January, going into the MDR, I was wearing black slacks, dressy top and strappy dress sandals that had bare toes with "flip flop" appearance.... the man in front of us had a horrible wrinkled shirt and khakis.... both looked like they had been wadded up... the hostess said, "Madam is wearing flip flops to dinner?????"..... but said nothing to the super casual dude in front of us.....

Some folks look more appropriately dressed in denim pants than others do in crumpled slacks.... just sayin'.... perception.....

OMG. I'd have he some choice words in response

She wasn't wearing flip flops

"She" described them herself as "having the appearance of flip flops" (see post 143), so it sounds like you're just gunning for trouble where there is none, now. :o

Positively everything has to be relegated to the lowest common denominator, and then the same people moan about how standards are slipping.

d3a.jpg