The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

"She" described them herself as "having the appearance of flip flops" (see post 143), so it sounds like you're just gunning for trouble where there is none, now. :o

Positively everything has to be relegated to the lowest common denominator, and then the same people moan about how standards are slipping.

d3a.jpg

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. As a female, if the employee let some scruff in to dinner in front of me and could not see anything of my shoes except the toe area and made a snide comment like she did, I'd be livid.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. As a female, if the employee let some scruff in to dinner in front of me and could not see anything of my shoes except the toe area and made a snide comment like she did, I'd be livid.

It's hardly snide to ask if sandals which the owner admits "give the appearance of flip flops" are flip flops.

Look at the bright side, if being questioned is so abhorrent to you, then you probably wouldn't have worn that footwear in the first place.

Therefore you can save your righteous indignation for real problems like famine, plague and pestilence ;)

You would come off as a total jerk and snob.

To be livid, over an attentive quality conscious employee asking politely if you had flip flops.. Snide... that was a most polite way of asking. ???

It isnt a well I am better than him thing how dare you even question someone like me, its only about you... its not a contest. None of us are that special that we need to compare ourselves to others and feel superior..

A comment made to you is about you and not about anyone else accept it as constructive.. not a challenge to you

The term is ambiguous. The point I am trying to make is that I did not see anyone in any type of denim in any restaurant for dinner. Lighten up!

That may be true. But the term "jeans" doesn't always mean denim. They come in many fabrics and colours and some are pretty stylish and smart!

I am one of those who isn't sure what casual jeans are vs. the "other kind". Not that I would wear jeans to dinner anyway.

But I once had an amusing pair (that were NOT cheap and this was before it was so easy to buy expensive jeans) that were decorated with Walt Disney appliques -- Mickey, Minnie, and etc. I am wondering how they would have been categorized by a maitre d'?

I suspect they'd still be considered casual. Not that I would have tried.

Mura

Oh, I just cannot resist these fashion police threads. Lol.

So... Imagine a lovely lady wearing flowing palazzo pants or nice linen pants and a tunic. Or perhaps a light summer frock made of silk, sailing the Med or St Barts.

Look at her polished toes and gorgeous bejeweled, very fashionable sandals.

104ed9a85a09fffad50b0226619442f6.jpg

Or perhaps

2c63d7dc5e50c04237dcac104fffe802.jpg

Made in Capri... For dinners in the Med

Or a stunning autumn colored ensemblecc0b7c667bd2ed87f32a655d3be788b2.jpg

The lady is turned away? Seriously?

As much as I dislike the usual flip-flop these are in a different category entirely.

I would never object to them.

And as a poster indicated earlier, criticizing footgear when someone else's attire is questionable is pretty silly.

Mura

Brazilgirl, thanks for the photos.... and my SANDALS actually had HEELS!!!

Was I livid??? Absolutely not!!! I just gave her my friendliest smile and said, aren't they cute!!!

Stan and Jim.......... I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!! You make this thread so fun!!!

p.s..... In Oklahoma, it is NOT unusual to wear blue jeans and cowboy boots with a tuxedo shirt & jacket to PROM!!!

Now, the girls usually wear dresses and sometimes with cowgirl boots!!

Have fun with that, ya'll!!!

The hostess should be able to decipher the difference between the beautiful shoes in brazilgirl's examples and a rubber soled flip flop that belongs at the pool. Those examples were exactly what I was picturing BabySis wearing. :p

The hostess should be able to decipher the difference between the beautiful shoes in brazilgirl's examples and a rubber soled flip flop that belongs at the pool. Those examples were exactly what I was picturing BabySis wearing. :p

I think so too! I have a big shoe collection ( it is a state secret how many I have. Kind of embarrassing) and since I live in Brazil the above styles are a staple of my wardrobe.

I wear many very dressy summer styles including long gowns with these type sandals. I am tall ( with heels as tall as DH) and sometimes I like to go for the Grecian look and feel a bit more petite [emoji4]

Babysis, I quite imagined these were the styles you were referring to and I would be a bit irked if I got barred at the door. National tragedy? Nah. But what if I based my wardrobe around light pretty summer sandals on a hot weather cruise and had to go back and put on some clunky pump or such? Oh the horror of shoes that don't match! ( said tongue in cheek before you think I am a snob or such).

Anyway, glad everybody agrees the jeweled "flip flops" are nice cause I love them!

There is a difference between "no jeans" and "no casual jeans" If there wasn't then Oceania would not have amended their dress code that way. It's not quibbling or nitpicking. The rest is just opinion on what some people like to see.

Here's an analogy that some of you might understand. Most passengers would prefer that the whole ship be non smoking, many have strong opinions concerning this. But they're not in charge, and smoking is allowed in certain areas. It the same for non casual jeans, they're allowed, whether certain people like it or not. Your opinions really don't matter except to you. But if you want to pay my fare I'd be happy to follow your perceptions of what you consider proper dress.

FWIW, I won't be one in any type of jeans in the MDR or a Specialty restaurant. I might wear a pair to the Terrace in cooler weather or around the ship after 6pm. Sorry if that offends anyone. See above about paying my fare.

I will defend other's rights to wear nice jeans according to the dress code. I see no need for others to bully new customers with their opinions as to what they think is proper when it's in opposition to the dress code. We really need to stick to the facts here.

As has been stated many times the problem is that Oceania has never defined "non casual jeans"

Agree!!!

I have never worried about packing for a cruise before. I am on Oceania in 2 weeks. I started a few days ago and I am not enjoying it. I also have never been asked to change my clothes EVER on any cruise. Having done close to 40 cruises, I have seen it all. I have cruised Oceania only once. I did not see anyone breaking the dress code, but I did see some outrageous and memorable people.

One of the most outrageous was actually on Oceania. The elevator door opened and a lady was standing there dressed up. The problem was, she looked like the joker on Batman. Her eyebrows were all the way up in her hairline and her mouth was so wide it almost reached her ears. TOOO many face lifts. She was a commercial for cosmetic surgery gone wrong... I could continue... like her husband had a toupee on that was dark brown and the rest of his hair was white... If you wear a toup... have it match your hair and be clean.

Their clothes were classy and expensive, but they still looked like clowns! We got in and I looked at my husband bug eyed. He took my hand and squeezed. When they left the elevator, I said to my husband and in-laws, "she looked like the joker." My father in law said, "yeah that's it, I could not think of who she reminded me of, that's perfect" I almost never make comments like that but this thread with the fashion police has me thinking about all the other fashion mistakes people make. Wearing dressy jeans and jeweled flip-flops is the least of it. I have always said that first cruise on Oceania left a major impression on me. Never have cosmetic surgery!!!! We saw a few others on that cruise... You can always change your clothes! So I am packing carefully.

dasi11 , really enjoyed your clown story! Just want to comment that people in dress jeans can look just as silly (if they are stuffed in their jeans like a sausage for instance). Most people don't realize it when they look funny or wear clothes that are either inappropriate for their bodies or their age. We have also seen clothes that follow the dress code but are badly wrinkled.

IMO, Oceania has the right dress code (minus the jeans part) as long as what the person is wearing is clean, neat and fits. It seems that jeans are almost made to make the majority of people look bad (keeping in mind that the majority of people in the U.S. are overweight or obese). I still feel that jeans are for home, barbeques, shopping and the farm -- unless you are in your 20's or 30's and are slim.

I was on my first Oceania cruise last week (loved it! looking forward to the next), and had no problem with the dress code. I was able to wear capri style jeans when I wanted (generally on tours or wandering around on the ship during the day) and was happy to put on nicer capris or skirts for dinner and afternoon tea. I had no issues wearing strappy sandals to the grand dining room and the specials.

I don't recall any egregious dress code issues, though at Polo, the host did ask the gentleman in front of us to remove his baseball cap before entering.

Agree!!!

I have never worried about packing for a cruise before. I am on Oceania in 2 weeks. I started a few days ago and I am not enjoying it. I also have never been asked to change my clothes EVER on any cruise. Having done close to 40 cruises, I have seen it all. I have cruised Oceania only once. I did not see anyone breaking the dress code, but I did see some outrageous and memorable people.

One of the most outrageous was actually on Oceania. The elevator door opened and a lady was standing there dressed up. The problem was, she looked like the joker on Batman. Her eyebrows were all the way up in her hairline and her mouth was so wide it almost reached her ears. TOOO many face lifts. She was a commercial for cosmetic surgery gone wrong... I could continue... like her husband had a toupee on that was dark brown and the rest of his hair was white... If you wear a toup... have it match your hair and be clean.

Their clothes were classy and expensive, but they still looked like clowns! We got in and I looked at my husband bug eyed. He took my hand and squeezed. When they left the elevator, I said to my husband and in-laws, "she looked like the joker." My father in law said, "yeah that's it, I could not think of who she reminded me of, that's perfect" I almost never make comments like that but this thread with the fashion police has me thinking about all the other fashion mistakes people make. Wearing dressy jeans and jeweled flip-flops is the least of it. I have always said that first cruise on Oceania left a major impression on me. Never have cosmetic surgery!!!! We saw a few others on that cruise... You can always change your clothes! So I am packing carefully.

Maybe Oceania will have to put rules in place for how one looks & how they dress

list the number of face lifts or other cosmetic surgeries they have had

PHOTOS required before they are allowed to book

This thread is way past it's sell by date & yes i know I can ignore it

CorgiNole

You have hit on one of my pet peeves, men wearing caps/hats in the Terrace Café, although I have never seen anyone doing that in the GDR. When I was growing up, gentlemen took off their headwear when indoors, be it a store, a dining area or a house. Old habits never die.

Cheers,

Don

CorgiNole

You have hit on one of my pet peeves, men wearing caps/hats in the Terrace Café, although I have never seen anyone doing that in the GDR. When I was growing up, gentlemen took off their headwear when indoors, be it a store, a dining area or a house. Old habits never die.

Cheers,

Don

I agree.

I find it tacky at best and in very poor taste for someone to wear a baseball cap to the MDR or any other indoor dining venue.

I agree.

I find it tacky at best and in very poor taste for someone to wear a baseball cap to the MDR or any other indoor dining venue.

I hate to tell you but times have changed. I just back from a vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida, went to popular restaurant, approximately 500 people being served and I would guess 20% of men & women were wearing caps at dinner :eek: !

PS: Is it ok for me to wear my cap on the outside deck at the Terrace Grill ?

I hate to tell you but times have changed. I just back from a vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida, went to popular restaurant, approximately 500 people being served and I would guess 20% of men & women were wearing caps at dinner :eek: !

I don't know the restaurant you are talking about but I think:

1 Not in the class of Oceania's restaurants

2 Popular does not equal good or classy (I am thinking of Hooters or even McD - very popular & baseball caps are worn, but it's not exactly Jacques):D

PS Yes - especially if you are sitting in the sun :D

Edited by Paulchili

I don't know the restaurant you are talking about but I think:

1 Not in the class of Oceania's restaurants

2 Popular does not equal good or classy (I am thinking of Hooters or even McD - very popular & baseball caps are worn, but it's not exactly Jacques):D

PS Yes - especially if you are sitting in the sun :D

The restaurant was Captain Anderson's. If Jacques is ranked a 10, CA is a 7. I also dined at a place called Firefly. This was upscale, rank 9; and many customers wearing caps.

Forgot to mention due to the closeness of the state of Alabama to Panama City Beach, FL, this area is known as "The Redneck Riviera" :D !

The restaurant was Captain Anderson's. If Jacques is ranked a 10, CA is a 7. I also dined at a place called Firefly. This was upscale, rank 9; and many customers wearing caps.

Forgot to mention due to the closeness of the state of Alabama to Panama City Beach, FL, this area is known as "The Redneck Riviera" :D !

Loved Captain Anderson's as a kid. It is a very different atmosphere than The Polo Grille on Oceania though. We used to plan our visit to see the fishing boats come in. Last time we were in Florida we couldn't get the timing to work out to eat there so my husband and son have yet to enjoy a meal there.

Cheers, K

Loved Captain Anderson's as a kid. It is a very different atmosphere than The Polo Grille on Oceania though. We used to plan our visit to see the fishing boats come in. Last time we were in Florida we couldn't get the timing to work out to eat there so my husband and son have yet to enjoy a meal there.

Cheers, K

I first ate at CA 47 years ago. It has become more upscale and pricey. We dined their two days after Mother's Day, got there 45 minutes after it opened, and had a 15 minute wait for a table. The restaurant capacity is over 600.

IMO times haven't changed that much although there are more people wearing "ball caps" (there are signs in some restaurants in England reminding people that they are not permitted). The etiquette for hats has not changed. The guidelines remain:

Men

Hats can be left on…•Outdoors

•At athletic events (indoors or out)

•On public transportation

•In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies

•On elevators

Take hats off, including baseball caps …

•In someone’s home

•At mealtimes, at the table

•While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it’s frigid!)

•In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required

•Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)

•In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall

•In restaurants and coffee shops

•At a movie or any indoor performance

•When the national anthem is played

•When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade