The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

Good...the problem is with hypothermia is you dont have to be hiking..I have seen people sitting on a yacht on a cool evening ...not doing much of anything come down with a fatal condition... The onset is that you feel comfortable and relaxed ...like having a few drinks. Your brain and body become further and further from the reality.

Your judgement, perception and coordination all degrade.. and this is only after you body has cooled down a mere 3 degrees F..... 8 more degrees loss any you die.. I have seen it many times....its not rare.... NO COTTON

Darn Dan, you're talking about my everyday state of being.

This topic has been over-discussed already, but it is just too fascinating to not reply.

I live in Dallas, an area with great upscale dining venues, and fashion jeans are always welcome in the 4 and 5 star restaurants. That means dark skinny jeans with a luxury silk blouse or, for men, pressed/creased jeans with a sport coat. There are a few of the older, stodgier places that won't accept, but they are the rare exceptions.

I chose Oceania over Crystal solely because my husband and I don't want to dress up for dinner. That doesn't mean we don't want to look nice and groomed and well-presented, that just means we don't want to wear ties and nylons and chiffon in the warm climes of the Caribbean or the Med.

This topic has been over-discussed already, but it is just too fascinating to not reply.

I agree. Oceania has already affirmed that jeans that are not "casual" are acceptable so why are folks trying to push their personal style on others? If you don't like jeans, don't wear them. Whether they're designer jeans or what we used to call "Sunday go to meeting" jeans, they're no better or worse than khakis or other casual slacks. If they're faded, have rips or tears, or are wearing thin in various places, I believe they would meet the definition of "casual" and should not be worn, so as to comply with Oceania's policy.

(I know, I know! Sometimes, designer jeans incorporate all those components but that simply means that not all designer jeans are acceptable, regardless of how much they cost.)

As a child of the 60's/70's, jeans were de rigueur for every occasion and they have continued to gain acceptance throughout the world. As we travel through Europe, we find that Michelin-starred restaurants are populated by many people wearing various types of jeans. Somehow or other, neither the food nor the ambiance has suffered because some people are wearing clothing made of denim.

If you're truly bothered by seeing someone in a dining room in denim, you always have the option of "dining-in" via room service. The other alternative is recognizing that, when you see someone wearing jeans, it's only a momentary assault to your senses since, once they sit down, you won't actually see the jeans! (Personally, I have an aversion to polyester but I don't seek to ban people who are wearing it from dining in public.)

Bottom line is that some jeans are permissible under Oceania policies so you need to stop twitching and concentrate on your meal.

Would you wear jeans to the classiest restaurant in your hometown(except maybe Texas)? On Insignia 71N last year. Saw one pair of jeans, one day only. Just off a month on Reflection 27N, a few more.I brought a pair of dark denim crop pants for on shore.Saved whites for on board .Everyone on both looked good .Just a few men in jackets also.

I have been following this thread for some time and after 16 Oceania cruises I would point out that there is no actual definition of "dress jeans" so it is up to the Maitre d' to make the decision.

We have seen men and women turned away while wearing what I would consider dress jeans and another maitre d' let people in in torn jeans. I doubt corporate has given specific instructions ( How could they?)

So, are you willing to risk being sent back to the cabin to change after wearing the same jeans as two nights before? Each maitre d' sets his/her own standards. (same with specialty restaurants).

To me it is better to err on the side of no jeans.

I belong to a country club... and frequent others in So cal ( which is supposed to be the laid back center of the universe) and not only will they not admit a paid member to the club house, or even the snack bar, in denim of any type... too you would not be allowed on the golf course...or even the putting green or driving range in Anything denim.

By the Way, Disney cruise will not permit any denim only jackets and slacks...collar shirts in their Restaurant like Remy and Paolo. You can wear jeans however , and chow down with Goofy and Donald Duck, and be in good company in the other eateries.

Pretty much the world wide standard....has been for decades. So there are 2 schools of thought, New age revolution and Long standing tradition.... I wonder what Emily Post would say???

Edited by Hawaiidan

I will say it again , my opinion and maybe just expand on it just a tad more .

Jeans are Jeans , made from Denim , blue or otherwise , with patch rear pockets , rivets , and stitched seams , they have their place and in some places a few , not many they are not considered acceptable attire , be that restaurant , ship , bar , theatre , wherever the venue deems them to be unacceptable , they make the rules , their rules observe the rules or don't go ,

I have been for afternoon tea , very traditional in a couple of hotels , the requirement is for jacket , tie and no jeans , but still people try it on and get turned away , why do people try ! certainly the Ritz in London you book for this quaint custom months ahead why oh why do people not read the rules and then wonder why they are shown the door , although they will supply jacket and tie for gents who haven't prepared .

Golf clubs in the UK are often no jeans and many other dress codes apply even out on the course

So really what is the problem with this rule on the few ships that might uphold the rule , a rule that is publicised and known about in advance ,

Is it really that difficult to observe this one small dress code ! There are so few standards in life now I just think the odd retained standard for whatever reason just helps maintain a tiny amount of tradition.

I won't wear jeans to dinner , I will maybe some evenings wear a blazer , shirt cuff links and tie , and some nice shoes , my choice

Edited by S2000ap1

I will say it again , my opinion and maybe just expand on it just a tad more .

Jeans are Jeans , made from Denim , blue or otherwise , with patch rear pockets , rivets , and stitched seams , they have their place and in some places a few , not many they are not considered acceptable attire , be that restaurant , ship , bar , theatre , wherever the venue deems them to be unacceptable , they make the rules , their rules observe the rules or don't go ,

I have been for afternoon tea , very traditional in a couple of hotels , the requirement is for jacket , tie and no jeans , but still people try it on and get turned away , why do people try ! certainly the Ritz in London you book for this quaint custom months ahead why oh why do people not read the rules and then wonder why they are shown the door , although they will supply jacket and tie for gents who haven't prepared .

Golf clubs in the UK are often no jeans and many other dress codes apply even out on the course

So really what is the problem with this rule on the few ships that might uphold the rule , a rule that is publicised and known about in advance ,

Is it really that difficult to observe this one small dress code ! There are so few standards in life now I just think the odd retained standard for whatever reason just helps maintain a tiny amount of tradition.

I won't wear jeans to dinner , I will maybe some evenings wear a blazer , shirt cuff links and tie , and some nice shoes , my choice

I think it is , my dear sir, that your brought up right, to respect others and consider good manners and behavior as your obligation to your family, and your society as a bond. of civility .

Quite right...too true.....you sir are a gentleman .. a real one.

I think in some ways this is kinda moot. I never wear jeans in the Caribbean or the Med because they are too hot. I like to cruise to warm climates in warm months and do lots of pool time on sea days. To me, that's the whole point of being on the ocean. Plus, jeans take up too much suitcase room. But I know some people like to cruise to Alaska, the Norwegian fjords, etc. I don't know how I'd do nice-but-casual on those cruises.

Who is Emily Post? Is she related to Preview Post at the bottom of the page?

SellaVee, Paul's answer is definitely more helpful than mine will be but I had to laugh when I read your question. Emily Post was most definitely a U.S. figure declaiming on etiquette and proper behavior. There is no surprise that people in the U.K. wouldn't understand the reference ... and in fact probably young people in the U.S. today wouldn't get it either.

Mura

I think in some ways this is kinda moot. I never wear jeans in the Caribbean or the Med because they are too hot. I like to cruise to warm climates in warm months and do lots of pool time on sea days. To me, that's the whole point of being on the ocean. Plus, jeans take up too much suitcase room. But I know some people like to cruise to Alaska, the Norwegian fjords, etc. I don't know how I'd do nice-but-casual on those cruises.

But, perhaps the Med in early to mid spring and mid to late fall?

As it has been pointed out, jeans are not the best material to keep you warm. In any event, the ship is heated and it isn't cold in the restaurants. We aren't talking about getting super dressed up for dinner - just wearing slacks (Dockers with a polo type shirt will even work). Oceania's dress code is so easy. Also, keep in mind that Alaska can be quite warm. It was 90 degrees in Juneau 4 years ago. In any case, during the day you can wear any type of jeans, shorts...... just about whatever you want to wear on the ship and ashore.

Some people on this thread seem to want to make the dress code much more complicated than it is (not accusing you of doing so):)

Let me clarify. If there is a clear dress code, I follow it.I don't even like jeans that much, lol and as I said previously, I tend to take dresses and slacks on my cruises because that is flatters me. I am a stickler for rules and always have been. I have no problem at all not wearing jeans.

However, I am trying to make a point which is the concept of what is appropriate dinner attire around the world has changed. Fine establishments all over the world with very well dressed clientele who are not slobs or rude or disdainful of dress codes wear dark jeans and " dressy blouses" and heels ( if you are a woman) and a blazer and dark jeans if you are man. This is a fact. These people are the up and coming generation of well groomed future clients of the cruise lines and the cruise lines must fact the fact that styles have changed.

Here is an article on the subject ( which mentions the dress code at the Ritz).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311262/No-jacket-tie-required-Uks-100-restaurants-casual-say-Ritz.html

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/gq-style-shrink-what-to-wear-michelin-star-restaurant

If you don't read the article from GQ, here is a direct quote:

The only passable way of mixing a suit," he states, "is wearing a navy-blue suit jacket with a pair of fitted dark-wash jeans, which always looks chic."

As I am sure most on this board are very well traveled, I will just offer a couple of personal antecdotes. I was recently at a very nice , roof top restaurant in Istanbul. I was wearing a dress and kitten heels and my husband was wearing a dark blazer, a white dress shirt and dark jeans ( and looking quite handsome). Several European men arrived looking smashing in similar outfits..dark jeans, blazers and to top it off, beautiful scarfs and laofers. They were very, very well dressed and reflected what I have seen at many fine restaurants all over the world and I would certainly call them gentlemen.

We stayed 10 days in Lyon, Burgundy and Annecy....same dress style across the board and we visited more than one 3 star Michelin establishment. There are restaurants that have dress codes and they must be respected ( as I said...rules). But styles have changed and most venues realize that and have adapted.

If cruiselines are to evolve, they must cater to new customers and this is the look that the younger well-heeled generation follows. That is what Edie Rodriguez said in the video I posted in a previous post and why Crystal is changing . I am sure Oceania will as well.

There are slobs and that is entirely different issue. That would need another thread called " stigma against slobs".

Travelcat2, thank you for the nice comment on the other post. [emoji6]

I belong to a country club... and frequent others in So cal ( which is supposed to be the laid back center of the universe) and not only will they not admit a paid member to the club house, or even the snack bar, in denim of any type... too you would not be allowed on the golf course...or even the putting green or driving range in Anything denim.

We are Rotarians and our club meets in a Country Club with a no denim policy. We are not allowed to go to the meeting in Jeans.

We are Rotarians and our club meets in a Country Club with a no denim policy. We are not allowed to go to the meeting in Jeans. I was just at lunch in a Country Club in Boca Raton Florida - and Jeans Abound.

I am far more offended by people who think they are fashion mavens but really have no clue as to what is current. I'd rather see someone well dressed in Jeans that fit than clothing that is too small revealing body parts that should be private.

Who is Emily Post? Is she related to Preview Post at the bottom of the page?

Great sense of humor. I hope to cruise with you one day and meet you in person. :)

This denim thread is finally going to unravel?

Also, keep in mind that Alaska can be quite warm. It was 90 degrees in Juneau 4 years ago. In any case, during the day you can wear any type of jeans, shorts...... just about whatever you want to wear on the ship and ashore.

:)

Oh travel cat... and living in Washington where Hypothermia in the coast, cascades and olympics is epidemic.

Hey , last year Seattle got to 100. . Thats one day in like a decade Saying Juneau is going to be in the 90's because it was 4 years ago is less than good advice. Juneau is a good 7 to 10 degrees colder than Seattle Every mile north brings cooler and cooler temps. The area is classified as a temperate rain forest all along the coast humid, wet and cool. It rains almost every day in Ketchcan ..

I worked many years with the NPS in Washington/Alaska, and have seen first hand what foolish disregard of the environment does... It takes a lethal toll on those who ignore it. Children, elderly, physically compromised and athletes too are all at a higher risk. Suggesting cotton shorts and jeans is nothing short of dangerous and in Alaska's fast changing weather an invitation to disaster..

Read up on Hypothermia.... your own Seattle Mountaineers runs courses to teach the public and thats in Washington..... Its your life...dont be foolish with it

Synthetic, pile, wind resistant, layers, wool , poly pro, capraline .......NOT COTTON anything....

Oh travel cat... and living in Washington where Hypothermia in the coast, cascades and olympics is epidemic.

Hey , last year Seattle got to 100. . Thats one day in like a decade Saying Juneau is going to be in the 90's because it was 4 years ago is less than good advice. Juneau is a good 7 to 10 degrees colder than Seattle Every mile north brings cooler and cooler temps. The area is classified as a temperate rain forest all along the coast humid, wet and cool. It rains almost every day in Ketchcan ..

I worked many years with the NPS in Washington/Alaska, and have seen first hand what foolish disregard of the environment does... It takes a lethal toll on those who ignore it. Children, elderly, physically compromised and athletes too are all at a higher risk. Suggesting cotton shorts and jeans is nothing short of dangerous and in Alaska's fast changing weather an invitation to disaster..

Read up on Hypothermia.... your own Seattle Mountaineers runs courses to teach the public and thats in Washington..... Its your life...dont be foolish with it

Synthetic, pile, wind resistant, layers, wool , poly pro, capraline .......NOT COTTON anything....

My post about the weather in Juneau four years ago was meant to indicate that the weather can be cold or very warm. Note: It hit 90 degrees this year already in Seattle. I am not an outdoorsy person and wear jeans around town - not hiking or in a boat or on a ship (we do not even pack jeans for a cruise).

I really appreciate your input regarding Hypothermia. It is a very important thing to be aware of. Whenever we are in Alaska we buy a jacket (very reasonable - usually purchase one in Ketchikan) and it works well for the climate there. Some jackets have hoods and deep pockets to carry all of our necessary "junk". We cannot find jackets of that quality, that work as well or cost as little in Washington.

Anyway, thanks again for your great comments!

P.S. Any suggestions for fabrics in HOT climates? We'll be in the Med. in July (I know - you have to be crazy to do that). I'm dreading the weather. Any advice would really be appreciated!

Edited by Travelcat2

Brazil, now there's a description , Slobs ,,yes and just maybe herein lies the problem!

You can spend £10 on a pair of jeans and some one else £500 but in the end it's the person in the jeans that maketh the jeans , style is an indefinable quality , maybe that is the difference !

I don't consider my self to be stylish , in some respects not at all , to fat for a start.

But you won't catch me in beige , or. Wearing sandles with socks , white socks , or dare I say this jeans with creases ! who would spend time putting them in ?

But in the right venue and right time , a jacket , a tie , some times cuff links , some times a silk handkerchief , been known to wear a blazer and jeans with a polo.

The wife also reckons I have a shoe fettish , I have more pairs than her !

Brazil, now there's a description , Slobs ,,yes and just maybe herein lies the problem!

You can spend £10 on a pair of jeans and some one else £500 but in the end it's the person in the jeans that maketh the jeans , style is an indefinable quality , maybe that is the difference !

I don't consider my self to be stylish , in some respects not at all , to fat for a start.

But you won't catch me in beige , or. Wearing sandles with socks , white socks , or dare I say this jeans with creases ! who would spend time putting them in ?

But in the right venue and right time , a jacket , a tie , some times cuff links , some times a silk handkerchief , been known to wear a blazer and jeans with a polo.

The wife also reckons I have a shoe fettish , I have more pairs than her !

My husband loves shoes too ( and so do I , lol)

I agree. Oceania has already affirmed that jeans that are not "casual" are acceptable

Bottom line is that some jeans are permissible under Oceania policies so you need to stop twitching and concentrate on your meal.

EXACTLY! 7 pages of opinion means nothing. It's Oceania's policy