The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

Good post about making a statement with the clothing you wear. Despite the posters that feel entitled to do whatever they want and disrespecting Oceania's dress code, most passengers are happy to abide by Oceania's wishes. Unfortunately, these "entitled" adults are raising "entitled" children -- being taught that guidelines/rules are for everyone else - not for them. What a shame!

Exactly who are these posters? I get the feeling you don't really understand the Oceania dress code, or think it's something that you'd like it to be.

What has been posted is some extreme examples, which you probably wouldn't see on Oceania. Really, how much more extreme could an example be than Kanye West, which is simply a straw man argument and has nothing to do with the way people dress on Oceania.

Let's get real folks.

ORV: I thought I understood Oceania's dress code until I sailed on the Riviera. A high percentage of men wore slacks and sports jackets (some with ties) and women wore dresses (mainly in the specialty restaurants). This is not what people post on Cruise Critic. On the other hand, there were some real slobs -- wearing overalls or shorts (denim - faded - the type that one might wear gardening at their home).

Now the dress code permits dress jeans? What in the heck is that suppose to be? IMHO, the only people that can carry off dress jeans are those that are "fit" (i.e. - no huge stomach hanging over the belt). More importantly, some posters pretty much state that they will do what they want to do - despite the dress code.

My DH and I live in a city where jeans and a nice shirt is considered "dressing up". However, who would wear faded denim overalls in a fine dining restaurant or on an "almost" luxury ship? IMO, only people who have no respect for the dress code (or perhaps even for themselves) would do that.

So, based on our two cruises on the Riviera, the dress code, however one wants to interpret it, is not respected or followed by too many people.

I appreciate all the comments people have made. I realize that one of the things we want to teach our 10 year old grandsons is to be respectful of other people's feelings when they think about what to wear in a restaurant. They will be wearing slacks and collared shirts to dinner.

Mary

To Azam

Too bad you gave a well reasoned and respectful response. I would have enjoyed the spectacle of watching people on this board confront the anticipated horror of seeing not just children on Oceania but (again the horror!) children on Oceania wearing jeans. :)

Edited by What A Market

Originally Posted by curtdesilets View Post

I just do not get the obsession that cruise lines have with banning these things. Any thoughts??

Here's a photograph that answers your question about the stigma against jeans. Kanye West decided that the Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was an appropriate place to wear ripped jeans and his undershirt as long as he layered on a jacket that was heavily bedazzled.

With role models like this ...

With apologies to the critic I lambasted about how this topic will be debated to death, you were right. :eek: - OP

Obviously, the Maitre D' will use his or her discretion to confront anyone looking like a clown in a semi-formal dining room.

One other observation. Although my wife likes to wear dressy jeans with a really fancy top, what do you observe while SEATED at Dinner? Just the top.

:D

One other observation. Although my wife likes to wear dressy jeans with a really fancy top, what do you observe while SEATED at Dinner? Just the top.

:D

Does that mean one can walk in barefoot :D

I have cruised on Oceania once. I was on the Marina when it first sailed about 5? years ago.. I am going again with the in-laws on June 2. I am surprised by the jeans talk. I am taking jeans and dresses. My jeans are black and a few blue ones. They are not ripped or faded but look new. I wear them with a nice fancy top and nice shoes.

I was never told I was dressed improperly for the dining room. I saw women in ugly poly stretch pants... those should be banned!!! I am in my mid 50's and I know I am too young for Oceania. Maybe this is just a generational thing? I would never wear torn, worn out jeans on a cruise ship. I have seen them and been disgusted.

I have also seen crushed velvet sweatsuits worn like they are dressy clothes.. I guess I don't understand the ban on jeans when there are so many other choices of clothes that look much tackier then a pair of dress jeans.

I have cruised on Oceania once. I was on the Marina when it first sailed about 5? years ago.. I am going again with the in-laws on June 2. I am surprised by the jeans talk. I am taking jeans and dresses. My jeans are black and a few blue ones. They are not ripped or faded but look new. I wear them with a nice fancy top and nice shoes.

I was never told I was dressed improperly for the dining room. I saw women in ugly poly stretch pants... those should be banned!!! I am in my mid 50's and I know I am too young for Oceania. Maybe this is just a generational thing? I would never wear torn, worn out jeans on a cruise ship. I have seen them and been disgusted.

I have also seen crushed velvet sweatsuits worn like they are dressy clothes.. I guess I don't understand the ban on jeans when there are so many other choices of clothes that look much tackier then a pair of dress jeans.

Heather, there is no ban on jeans. Where would you get an idea like that? The only restriction is to Casual Jeans. What you were wearing is perfectly in line with the Oceania dress code, whether others like it or not.

Heather, there is no ban on jeans. Where would you get an idea like that? The only restriction is to Casual Jeans. What you were wearing is perfectly in line with the Oceania dress code, whether others like it or not.

First let me state that my DW and I always wear the appropriate clothing at all times.

You are absolutely correct ORV about no ban on jeans and in fact, based on what has been posted several times as a dress code, there is no true dress code or requirements for any particular dress.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Above is is what has been posted and stated as a "dress code" In fact if you read what it actually says is they have "recommendations", "suggestions", and "request" listed in the above and absolutely no specific "requirements" which would be necessary to have a real dress code/requirement for how people are to dress.

If Oceania truly wants to restrict dress to specific types of clothing, they need to specifically state that and not use vague words like recommend, suggest, request, etc. as they do in what many are erroneously calling a "dress code" and/or requirements.

As long as the wording remains as written and not definitive nothing said on CC has much if any meaning. It is strictly up to the Matre d to allow one in or send them back to change clothing and the wishes/wants of people on CC while interesting, have no authority the same as what is written by Oceania.

and the wishes/wants of people on CC while interesting, have no authority the same as what is written by Oceania.

It doesn't do those who choose not to conform any harm to read what people really think about their choices, either.

Strongly agree with last two posts. However, I now "get it" and understand why Oceania is not considered a "true" luxury cruise line. It is a shame because the Marina and Riviera are truly magnificent ships.

Strongly agree with last two posts. However, I now "get it" and understand why Oceania is not considered a "true" luxury cruise line. It is a shame because the Marina and Riviera are truly magnificent ships.

Oh, since Crystal initiated "Crystal Casual", this EXACT conversation is held on their boards also. Its not only O.

I guess it all comes down to what one considers "luxury." I could never quite figure out what separated Regent (your favorite line) being considered "luxury" and "premium" ...the designation for Oceania. I have been on both, and to me , Oceania is luxury and my preferred line. I guess because Regent is "all inclusive" it is considered luxury. Since I take all private excursions (not the inflated priced ship excursions) and we drink very little, on Regent we would be subsidizing others for what we would not be taking advantage. We are able to get an Owners or Oceania suite(approx 1000 sq. feet) for less than a Seven Seas suite (approx. 450 sq. feet ..i think) on Regent. To me the decor , the ambience, and the friendliness of the passengers and crew of the 2 lines is equal.To insinuate that because some Oceania posters think it is OK to wear "dress" jeans (that seemed to be what you are implying, maybe I am wrong) negates it from being a luxury line IMO is imprudent.

One last thing ..For me the country club casual dress code is luxury ...packing and wearing a jacket is not . Everyone has their own idea as what "luxury" is for them.

However, I now "get it" and understand why Oceania is not considered a "true" luxury cruise line. It is a shame because the Marina and Riviera are truly magnificent ships.

Since you now "get it", please explain it to me why exactly is Oceania not considered a "true" luxury line as I don't get it yet.

I'm coming in at the end of this discussion, but I would say that Oceania is not considered "luxury" because it has never wanted to be considered luxury ...

Have things changed?

For me, Oceania is as much as I want ... whether it is premium or luxury or something else.

Mura

I guess it all comes down to what one considers "luxury." I could never quite figure out what separated Regent (your favorite line) being considered "luxury" and "premium" ...the designation for Oceania. I have been on both, and to me , Oceania is luxury and my preferred line. I guess because Regent is "all inclusive" it is considered luxury. Since I take all private excursions (not the inflated priced ship excursions) and we drink very little, on Regent we would be subsidizing others for what we would not be taking advantage. We are able to get an Owners or Oceania suite(approx 1000 sq. feet) for less than a Seven Seas suite (approx. 450 sq. feet ..i think) on Regent. To me the decor , the ambience, and the friendliness of the passengers and crew of the 2 lines is equal.To insinuate that because some Oceania posters think it is OK to wear "dress" jeans (that seemed to be what you are implying, maybe I am wrong) negates it from being a luxury line IMO is imprudent.

One last thing ..For me the country club casual dress code is luxury ...packing and wearing a jacket is not . Everyone has their own idea as what "luxury" is for them.

My sentiments exactly.

Whatever Oceania is labeled as being it makes little difference to me. Having sailed on Regent, Silversea & Seabourn, Oceania, while not perfect, suits me just fine :)

Edited by Paulchili

The objection to "Jeans" is that the category is so broad and so diverse that they range from a torn knee , rhinestone covered ,tye dyed and junk jeans to $350 a pair of designer labels. which range from hot pink and yellow to coal black and bleach stained..... The term Jeans is so generic and vast, there is no assurance of any level quality or appearance. Jeans also can cover all manner of denim work clothes and "Ben Davis Bib overall "and even coveralls of sorts

Heck , its far more than Levi's. now there are hundreds of vairants. Whereas pant suits, slacks are all within a more defined quality and appearance. Too is jeans in a polite society are not considered proper manners to be worn to up scale gatherings....Dont see many Jeans on lawyers, pilots, politicians, etc......do you

Fine what Disney does...but remember their ships are designed for casual family dinners... I doubt that you could get in "Remy" without a jacket and slacks.... Remember Disney has 3 or 4 restaurants that guests are daily rotated through, I am told. ...... Totally different operation, ambiance and atmosphere than on high end and luxury level lines.

Just to much potential for un-reliable results permitting jeans....

Excellently put and you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be those who will push the boundaries.

There are also those whose interpretation of 'smart jeans' leaves a lot to be desired and have little distinction between their daywear and evening wear.

I'm coming in at the end of this discussion, but I would say that Oceania is not considered "luxury" because it has never wanted to be considered luxury ...

Have things changed?

For me, Oceania is as much as I want ... whether it is premium or luxury or something else.

Mura

Or, as they say..."Your World, Your Way"

8741152952_cbac5f1f76_b.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

The concept of dress jeans is a bit of a mystery to me. It seems like a contradiction in terms. I spend a lot of time in jeans due to the easy to wear, easy to wash, and comfort factors. And they're great at holding in my voluptuous assets ;). In fact it's a shame I can't get some for my top half. I never think of them as dressy though.

What has been posted is some extreme examples, which you probably wouldn't see on Oceania. Really, how much more extreme could an example be than Kanye West, which is simply a straw man argument and has nothing to do with the way people dress on Oceania.

Let's get real folks.

We already have real information that inappropriate jeans are showing up on Oceania. Check out posts #43 and #52

"...some "guests" looked like they were in their backyard for a barbeque."

"...there were some real slobs -- wearing overalls or shorts (denim - faded - the type that one might wear gardening at their home)."

Kanye West wears his inappropriate jeans to the Met Gala and some Oceania cruisers wear their inappropriate jeans to the MDR, etc. Different venues. Same principle.

We already have real information that inappropriate jeans are showing up on Oceania. Check out posts #43 and #52

"...some "guests" looked like they were in their backyard for a barbeque."

"...there were some real slobs -- wearing overalls or shorts (denim - faded - the type that one might wear gardening at their home)."

Kanye West wears his inappropriate jeans to the Met Gala and some Oceania cruisers wear their inappropriate jeans to the MDR, etc. Different venues. Same principle.

May not be valid recent observations as both posts written by the same writer who has not sailed Oceania in several years and only two cruises total on O

My sentiments exactly.

Whatever Oceania is labeled as being it makes little difference to me. Having sailed on Regent, Silversea & Seabourn, Oceania, while not perfect, suits me just fine :)

I could not agree more.... it is just semantics.. I see no physical or culinary difference between Regent ... Except not 100% all inclusive... But hey, thats a price thing, not a ambiance thing. Oceania to me is luxury without pretension... and thats great

May not be valid recent observations as both posts written by the same writer who has not sailed Oceania in several years and only two cruises total on O

"Several years"? Our last Oceania cruise was a year and a half ago (the Rivera was not built "several years" ago). When we try a cruise line that is new to us, we give them two chances* - just in case our first experience was not representative of the cruise line. The dress code when we sailed was a bit different as it did not allow jeans in any dining venue except Terrace Café. We saw sloppy jeans around the ship at night on both cruises (one in the Med. - one in the Caribbean). Really think you need to sail on Oceania before dismissing someone's onboard observations.

*We would sail on the Riviera again under the right circumstances. Right now we are booked up through early 2018.