The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

This is what Oceania says in their FAQ section.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Guess that sums it up, no casual jeans, dress jeans are OK for dinner, to me that means all restaurants.

'Dress jeans' is not a concept that I'm familiar with. :confused:

Would you please explain?

My understanding of what signifies jeans is the styling, the way they are put together and the stitching. Some are blue denim (which some may say resemble workwear) but many are made of other fabrics of different colours.

I think many jeans can be smart. Could it be the blue denim that Oceania objects to?

This is what I found.

What do you wear for a "Dress Jeans" dress code?

Best Answer: For you I would wear a nice pair of pressed jeans no holes, or fades. Paired with a cardigan or a sheer clingy blouse and a pair of pointed toe heels.

For him I would wear again a nice clean pair of pressed jeans, with a button up shirt and a nice blazer. He should wear a nice casual pair of loafers.

My understanding of what signifies jeans is the styling, the way they are put together and the stitching. Some are blue denim (which some may say resemble workwear) but many are made of other fabrics of different colours.

I think many jeans can be smart. Could it be the blue denim that Oceania objects to?

When the fabric isn't "denim" (of any color; there is a characteristic weave I think (?)), what makes the item "jeans"?

Is it the little pocket within a pocket in front?

Is it the 4 pockets (but don't men's trousers usually have 4)?

Is it the unlined patch-type pockets in front?

Is it the characteristic double stitching of the two long outside seams?

Or is it just a "you know it when you see it"?

To the OP, the only thing that matters is the posted dress code, read it and follow it and you and your wife will be fine.

Anything else is only other's opinions and biases, which is fine, for them. There's absolutely no need for you to have to follow their personal preferences. All you need to do is follow the code.

I guarantee your wife will know what dress jeans means.

Edited by ORV

I have a question related to the jeans debate. We will be bringing our 10 year old twin grandsons to Alaska on Oceania. We invited them to join us if they thought they could behave appropriately on an adult ship. They are very excited but I am wondering what the thinking is on children's attire in the main dining room (not sure yet about specialty restaurants but it would be the same question only more so.)

Would you expect children to also be wearing slacks and a collar shirt or would nice jeans and an undecorated t-shirt be okay. Dress shoes? or athletic shoes ok?

Thanks for any input.

Mary

If I were bringing 10 year old boys with me, I'd dress them in khakis and polo shirts and casual shoes. Sneakers ok if not too ratty looking. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just noticed on CC News that that Disney Cruises is going to allow jeans in their fancy restaurants.

I'm curious what Oceania's policy is on jeans.

My Wife often wears nice jeans with a fancy top and looks amazing. Would the Maitre'D actually ask her to return to our cabin and change her clothes ??

I just do not get the obsession that cruise lines have with banning these things.

Any thoughts??

This what the UK website states on dress code:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

So no casual jeans BUT smart jeans with smart shirt and jacket will often beat your polo shirt and slacks hands down. BUT smart is the key factor and on Riviera later this year I shall be wearing very smart and very expensive jeans on some evenings.

Just remember, for those that insist upon wearing jeans, it is not YOUR opinion of what constitutes "smart or dress" jeans. It is entirely up to the discretion of the maître de that may well have a different definition when they see you wear those into the restaurant.

Just do us all a favor, if they turn you around and send you back to change: Don't make a scene; don't argue with the maître de; say excuse me I'm sorry; and go change your clothes. I have several occasions where rude cruisers have demanded the presence of a restaurant manager on this subject. I have never seen the restaurant manager ever overrule the opinion/judgement of their maître de on this issue.

Again I ask, why is wearing jeans so important that one would want to start down this path?

Just remember, for those that insist upon wearing jeans, it is not YOUR opinion of what constitutes "smart or dress" jeans. It is entirely up to the discretion of the maître de that may well have a different definition when they see you wear those into the restaurant.

Just do us all a favor, if they turn you around and send you back to change: Don't make a scene; don't argue with the maître de; say excuse me I'm sorry; and go change your clothes. I have several occasions where rude cruisers have demanded the presence of a restaurant manager on this subject. I have never seen the restaurant manager ever overrule the opinion/judgement of their maître de on this issue.

Again I ask, why is wearing jeans so important that one would want to start down this path?

+1

Well said.

Is there a dress code?

So no casual jeans BUT smart jeans with smart shirt and jacket will often beat your polo shirt and slacks hands down. BUT smart is the key factor and on Riviera later this year I shall be wearing very smart and very expensive jeans on some evenings.

All well and good, and I agree with you. BUT, different people have different definitions of what defines "non casual jeans". You prefer to call it smart jeans, others call it dress jeans. The problem is that Oceania has never defined it for people.

On one side you have a mindset that there is no such thing as "dress jeans" with a multitude of justifications that I won't get into here. But the bottom line many believe any type of jeans don't belong at dinner in the evening. As I mentioned before, that is only their bias and their opinion, which they should follow, the problem is that they would like to bind it on others.

On the other side you have people that think just because they paid over $100 for a pair of jeans that they are dressy, even though they are full of holes.

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the U.K. website!? Of course people would be confused if they read that. IMO, Oceania needs to fix the U.K. website or change the U.S. website and be very clear as to what the definition of "dress jeans" is. The only way my definition of dress jeans looks fairly good is when worn with a sports jacket (or, for women, a blazer).

US Website

This is what Oceania says in their FAQ section.

Is there a dress code?

UK Website

Is there a dress code?

I can't see a difference.

just remember, for those that insist upon wearing jeans, it is not your opinion of what constitutes "smart or dress" jeans. It is entirely up to the discretion of the maître de that may well have a different definition when they see you wear those into the restaurant.

Just do us all a favor, if they turn you around and send you back to change: Don't make a scene; don't argue with the maître de; say excuse me i'm sorry; and go change your clothes. I have several occasions where rude cruisers have demanded the presence of a restaurant manager on this subject. I have never seen the restaurant manager ever overrule the opinion/judgement of their maître de on this issue.

Again i ask, why is wearing jeans so important that one would want to start down this path?

+++3

US Website

UK Website

I can't see a difference.

Sorry - misread previous post. The poster was trying to justify "dress jeans". I read it as being the U.K. dress code posted on their website.

IMO, stop people should stop trying to find ways around the dress code and simply adhere to it. It is not a big deal. It sounds like Celebrity is the best choice for people wanting to wear jeans (fancy ones, ones with rhinestones, white ones, or any other kind of jeans.........) It doesn't matter is your jeans cost $1,000 or how good you "think" you look in them -- what does matter is how Oceania would like their passengers to dress.

Sorry - misread previous post. The poster was trying to justify "dress jeans". I read it as being the U.K. dress code posted on their website.

IMO, stop people should stop trying to find ways around the dress code and simply adhere to it. It is not a big deal. It sounds like Celebrity is the best choice for people wanting to wear jeans (fancy ones, ones with rhinestones, white ones, or any other kind of jeans.........) It doesn't matter is your jeans cost $1,000 or how good you "think" you look in them -- what does matter is how Oceania would like their passengers to dress.

Yes, you said it, you are 100% right. And it's completely okay with Oceania for their guests to wear non casual jeans. Obviously it was important enough of an issue for Oceania to change their website wording a couple of years back from;

"We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner."

to;

"We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner. "

What about that isn't clear? People have got to get their personal feelings out of this and read the dress code. We aren't talking about work clothes here.

Personally I won't be wearing jeans to dinner in the MDR or Specialties, but for those that want to wear them, and follow the guidelines, it's completely okay.

That's it, no opinion, just the facts. Once again, what is so hard for some people to understand about this?

The only issue I see is what constitutes "non casual jeans". Many are focusing on a stereotype of Farmer Joe in his worn out Wranglers, instead of ladies in their nice Chicos, Rock Republic, 7 For All Mankind etc clothes.

The only issue I see is what constitutes "non casual jeans". Many are focusing on a stereotype of Farmer Joe in his worn out Wranglers, instead of ladies in their nice Chicos, Rock Republic, 7 For All Mankind etc clothes.

For your viewing and debating pleasure, two photos of the same pair of $310 Armani jeans:

http://www.armani.com/us/armanijeans/jeans_cod36771568eb.html

For your viewing and debating pleasure, two photos of the same pair of $310 Armani jeans:

Love the photos! Some people would think that worn out jeans are "okay" because they cost more $$$.

I will be keeping track of this subject in the future. We already took two Oceania cruises where some "guests" looked like they were in their backyard for a barbeque. While we are not "formal" people, we do not want to sail on a cruise line where passengers cannot bother to put on a simple pair of slacks and a shirt/blouse. It seems that Oceania is turning into a mainstream cruise line (only in this area). If we wanted to sail on a mainstream cruise line, we could find one at a fraction of the cost of Oceania.

In the meantime, we are sticking with Regent (where the dress code is similar but usually is enforced).

To me they look well worn and CHEAP. No, I sure wouldn't buy them ... or wear them.

DH had a lovely pair of jeans that he DID wear into the MDR with no objection. New, neat and clean. They are now a few years old and he would not wear them for dinner these days.

I did have a wonderful paid or jeans some years ago that had Walt Disney appliques on them -- Donald and Daisy Duck, etc. I loved them. But I wonder if they would qualify as "non-casual" these days. I don't have to worry since I longer can wear them!

Mura

I just do not get the obsession that cruise lines have with banning these things. Any thoughts??

Here's a photograph that answers your question about the stigma against jeans. Kanye West decided that the Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was an appropriate place to wear ripped jeans and his undershirt as long as he layered on a jacket that was heavily bedazzled.

With role models like this ...

16602865_KanyeWest--Met-Gala.jpg.7bfe039b459cf0599e111ff51276ba71.jpg

Here's a photograph that answers your question about the stigma against jeans. Kanye West decided that the Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was an appropriate place to wear ripped jeans and his undershirt as long as he layered on a jacket that was heavily bedazzled.

With role models like this ...

I think that since they were introduced as good clothes for working in a mine that jeans sparked a revolution in clothing... and thinking

Today, , as is evident by the pictures , is that jeans represent a personal rejection of normalcy. Showing ones individual independence and contempt for any constraints.

Jeans worn at formal gatherings ,as illustrated are mostly done to get attention and to demonstrate a personal need to, show the world his utter disregard for them and society...

"I set my own rules because I am so cool and better than you that I can do whatever I want when ever I want "

Interesting to note , I saw a lot of footage from the white house dinner recently.... You know....I looked real hard and for some reason just could not see anyone in jeans of any make model or style.... Was that making a statment too???

Nice black jeans are a staple of my wardrobe, and they have been worn to dinner in country clubs and good restaurants all over the world, and on every Oceania (and other) cruise. No one - maitre d' or otherwise - has ever said anything.

Except in this forum...:rolleyes:

Nice black jeans are a staple of my wardrobe, and they have been worn to dinner in country clubs and good restaurants all over the world, and on every Oceania (and other) cruise. No one - maitre d' or otherwise - has ever said anything.

Except in this forum...:rolleyes:

Agreed. I would rather see (and wear) nice jeans than those dreadful linen pants which look as if they've been slept in for days........:mad:

Good post about making a statement with the clothing you wear. Despite the posters that feel entitled to do whatever they want and disrespecting Oceania's dress code, most passengers are happy to abide by Oceania's wishes. Unfortunately, these "entitled" adults are raising "entitled" children -- being taught that guidelines/rules are for everyone else - not for them. What a shame!