Hard or soft suitcase

We need to buy new suitcases ours just got ripped coming back from LA . Usually we use the soft sided kind but seems like there are a ton of hard ones to pick from also... Any suggestions and do the hard ones fit under the bed? I guess the fitting under the bed is the top priority.... Thanks

I travel a lot for business and have gone through many soft side not inexpensive luggage.

I last purchased the eBag combination hard side/soft side bags and am really impressed. These bags are still going strong after my others ones were done with. The other great thing is they have 4 spinners and the color scheme is unique enough to immediately spot coming off the luggage carousel.

http://www.ebags.com

Second vote for ebags. While they carry many different brands, the ebags brand itself has a lifetime warranty (at least mine did) and has an outside zip pocket. (It is a hardside case). The price is middle of the line, think just under $200 for the large bag.

Here are the ones I was talking about

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/hybrid-spinner-lite-3pc-set/284617?productid=10338331

If there is 1 thing I don't like is that it's not 1 deep case that lays flat and you can open. It opens in 2 halves, if that makes any sense.

Clam shell cases

Takes a special way to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

we use hard .. for bags we must check

and the battle scars ON the hard, justify the cost ... we don't buy cheap bags

it appears that the average baggage handler gets a bonus for destroying a bag . . .

I have very hard solid shell bags ... and the gouges in them suggest they were run over by a tank . . . .

If we get 4 trips out of ANY bag, I consider it a victory!

IMG_0292_zpsro9owfxf.jpg

Whatever you do, if you fly, avoid external spinners. If you look carefully at the small printing on their wheels, it says "please break me."

I use and recommend TravelPro - guaranteed forever. I've even got two 20 year old rollaboards that are still useful.

I can tell you we have had two friends use hard shell cases because they thought they would be stronger. Both friends had extremely bad damage,resulting in having to buy new luggage in Venice for one couple and lots of duct tape for the others. We have used soft sided luggage for over 30 cruises without mishap. I always cross my fingers but so far so good. By the way, my large hanging case is at least 25 years old. I spoke to a salesman in Tumi to see what they had like it. Theirs was $900++ He said mine was made back when they used steel frames. It is heavier than the new ones, but I can load it for a months cruise and not exceed 50 pounds. I love it.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Whatever you do, if you fly, avoid external spinners. If you look carefully at the small printing on their wheels, it says "please break me."

I use and recommend TravelPro - guaranteed forever. I've even got two 20 year old rollaboards that are still useful.

Look for ones that are extremely light weight!! As if your luggage is too heavy you won't get too much in it due to the weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DH & I just bought Travelpro Rollaboards yesterday to replace very hardy Atlantic "carry-ons" that weighed 9 & 11 pounds each. Our new bags are 6 lbs.

We didn't even consider any 4 wheel spinners due to the breakage concern and the fact that they are quite difficult to maneuver over the cobblestone streets of Europe.

The lighter bags will also help keep us well under the 44 lb. checked bag weight limit of easyJet and other LCCs in Europe.

These plus backpacks will be our only luggage for our trip/cruise this summer. We do plan on checking them save for our flight into LGA so as to save time in order to quickly grab a cab to get us to JFK; even with 4+ hours between to travel from one airport to the other who knows what traffic will be like on a Friday afternoon?

I prefer a sturdy soft-sider suitcase with two wheels that are also sturdy (not spinners). Spinners are alright on smooth surfaces but not great when you have to wheel luggage around city streets, cobbles, etc.

Most hard cases open in the middle and require more space for packing both sides. I prefer to pack all on one side and then zip it closed.

I have used Eagle Creek bags (various models) for quite a few years now with good success.

Don't worry! :)

They'll fit under the bed one way or another.

Either you can fit the bed enough for them to slide beneath the frame or you can open them up to make them flatter.

Thanks for this tip. I took my expensive hard-size on our last cruise and was sad to see a couple scrub marks at the bottom end closest to the wheels where it is the thicket. Was just thinking about not going to take it on anymore cruises, but now I can. Never thought about open it up. Good point!

I'm a fan of soft-sided, but ours is showing some wear after only two cruises. We'll see how they're holding up after the 2 we have planned this year.

Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel?

I'm a fan of soft-sided, but ours is showing some wear after only two cruises. We'll see how they're holding up after the 2 we have planned this year.

Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel?

When you travel close to 200 days a year, good luggage is a must.

Hard cases for us. We have travelled extensively and finally settled on the Samsonite hard cases with the zipperless closures and are reasonably light. They have CSA approved combination locks. They don't leak. They are tamper free and they are tough. Once you have observed your fabric case being drenched in tropical thunderstorms, you will become a convert. Even if all the contents are bagged in waterproofs, the case will still be soaked. Cheers, flapgum

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app