NEW Cabin Class Category: Club Class Mini-Suite

reedprincess

I feel the same way as Jimmy...an upgraded class of service should also include facilities designed for new ships which apparently is one reason for Celebrity's success. To me Club Class is a halfhearted attempt by Princess to replicate Celebrity's successful program only without the addition of facilities to make it successful.

For what it's worth, while the Celebrity Solstice class ships were purpose built with Blu, the Millennium class were not - they took a portion of the Main Dining Room and turned it into Blu dining room.

And same goes for Luminae on both classes of ship. Another portion of the Main dining rooms was taken from "Regular" passenegrs and made into the suite only dining room Luminae, similar to what it appears Princess will be doing for their Club Class dining... The suite only lounge on Celebrity was not an addition with their new builds either. It is the converted former Michael's Club, which used to be open to everyone as a piano bar, then was reserved for certain Elite level cruisers and is now a suite and Zenith only lounge. They didn't add facilities, they took space and areas away from "normal" cruisers.

Seems Princess is following this model, taking away space form regular cruisers for the bigger spenders - although right now, it's speculation as to how this will pan out. It's a wait and see.

During all of our cruises with Princess (17 so far) we always had "Dedicated wait staff" in any of the dining rooms but now I wonder if that will go away because according to the FAQ the "Dedicated wait staff" is now reserved for Club Class Mini & Full suites.:rolleyes:

Since the Club Class is strictly ATD dining, the dedicated wait staff is a new thing. In TD, we have always had our dedicated wait staff. I don't think that will change. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this impacts ATD and its dining rooms.

We are booked in an OS (S2) on the Pacific Princess for 6/27/17.

This ship does not have ATD.

I just checked the deck plans and all of the midship Minis that were previously MB, now have no category at all, not classified as Suite, or M1.

Who knows what is going on. :confused:

I did receive the email today talking abojt Club Class Dining for Full Suite passengers.

We are booked in an OS (S2) on the Pacific Princess for 6/27/17.

This ship does not have ATD.

I just checked the deck plans and all of the midship Minis that were previously MB, now have no category at all, not classified as Suite, or M1.

Who knows what is going on. :confused:

I did receive the email today talking abojt Club Class Dining for Full Suite passengers.

When I clicked on one of those cabins tonight they are now shown as Cat M2 Club Class mini suites. When you go to book a cabin they are shown under Suites rather than Mini-Suites. Edited by IECalCruiser

Cflutist can you tell us what the email said about club class dining for suites? I would really appreciate it since we are going in a suite but did not receive any email.

Thanks

It doesn't say much.

Congratulations! As a Princess Full Suite guest, you'll now experience all the exclusive benefits of our new Club Class Dining.

We look forward to seeing you onboard!

There are six pictures with the following captions:

private entrance with host

your table awaits

exclusive menu offerings

dedicated wait staff

table-side preparation

elevated dining experience

Edited by cflutist

For what it's worth, while the Celebrity Solstice class ships were purpose built with Blu, the Millennium class were not - they took a portion of the Main Dining Room and turned it into Blu dining room.

And same goes for Luminae on both classes of ship. Another portion of the Main dining rooms was taken from "Regular" passenegrs and made into the suite only dining room Luminae, similar to what it appears Princess will be doing for their Club Class dining... The suite only lounge on Celebrity was not an addition with their new builds either. It is the converted former Michael's Club, which used to be open to everyone as a piano bar, then was reserved for certain Elite level cruisers and is now a suite and Zenith only lounge. They didn't add facilities, they took space and areas away from "normal" cruisers.

Seems Princess is following this model, taking away space form regular cruisers for the bigger spenders - although right now, it's speculation as to how this will pan out. It's a wait and see.

I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me about Celebrity's situation...thanks.

It'll be interesting to see how Club Class will pan out and things could change before and/or after implementation.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cfluctist:

Did it say when this started? And when is your cruise? Ours is in 2 weeks.

Thanks again

Somewhere in this thread is the proposed rollout schedule by ship.

Our cruise is next year in June.

Did it say when this started? And when is your cruise? Ours is in 2 weeks.

Thanks again

Hi,

According to the Princess website, Club Class Mini-Suites will debut on the following dates:

• Ruby Princess, Dec. 10, 2016
  • Emerald Princess, Dec. 12, 2016
  • Island Princess, Jan. 4, 2017
  • Sapphire Princess, Jan. 7, 2017
  • Regal Princess, Jan. 8, 2017
  • Grand Princess, Jan. 9, 2017
  • Royal Princess, Jan. 29, 2017
  • Coral Princess, Feb. 6, 2017
  • Majestic Princess, March 30, 2017
  • Sun Princess, April 5, 2017
  • Crown Princess, April 8, 2017
  • Star Princess, April 11, 2017
  • Caribbean Princess, April 6, 2017
  • Diamond Princess, April 20, 2017
  • Pacific Princess, June 9, 2017
  • Sea Princess, Sep. 2, 2017
  • Golden Princess, Oct. 2, 2017

Chuck

Here are those scheduled dates...

Edited by Astro Flyer

It is all about $$$

We were on the Queen Mary 2, last year, booked it because many say you have to experience the QM2. We did, not impressed, liked the Queen Victoria far better, that is another story.

Reason I mention this, we found the QM2. had a Club Cabin class, that actually, the cabin was just like a Princess mini suite, that had a small section in the MDR as set aside for these cabins exclusively. We were not impressed with that either, considering the price for the Club Class was considerable more than a balcony, which was between balcony and two levels of suit cabins.

We had first class service in the MDR, the pick of location and tables and a very nice cabin, for a far more reasonable price.... some people will pay more if they think their in a "better" class.

We always pay for a balcony or mini suite on Princess... like the extra room in the cabin and the fresh air.

When I saw this earlier recalled the Cunard set up. LOL

Having sailed Cunard both before and after they introduced the Club Class dining - or whatever Cunard call it - I can tell you that the service and menu choice for the non Club Class passengers suffered badly after it was introduced.

The main reason I don't now enjoy sailing Cunard. If Princess now goes the same way - and that seems entirely likely - then maybe I'll look for a different line. I enjoy Princess dining the way it is now, a solid decent menu and good service for all as long as you avoid rush hour anytime dining on some cruises.

Since the Club Class is strictly ATD dining, the dedicated wait staff is a new thing. In TD, we have always had our dedicated wait staff. I don't think that will change. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this impacts ATD and its dining rooms.

No doubt the best waiters will be in Club Class. The others will be for the regular diners. How would it be otherwise?

What I also don't like the sound of is the less menu choice there will be in regular dining compared to Club Class.

Its going to end up like Cunard where the lowest class passengers get the less experienced waiters and little menu choice. Last time I was on Cunard - in the basic dining room I didn't get an adequately hot dinrer during the whole 7 night transatlantic and no-one cared except me as the management were too busy keeping the service up to the higher paying passengers.

Really? I don't believe that this rises to Marie Antoinette's purported Declaration of 'Let Them Eat Cake' to the starving peasants in the street. I, for one, don't believe that I will go hungry because an extra 40(?) cabins on the Royal will get an extra entree. I don't envision the Horizon Court turning into an endless rice, bread and cheese line.

Unless in practice it doesn't work, I am in favor of testing changes.

Just my opinion. Paul

Celebrity did not take space away from normal cruisers since the suite cruisers were dining in the same dining room - the # of diners has not changed - you are implying that normal cruisers are now somehow "cheated" -

Celebrity did not take space away from normal cruisers since the suite cruisers were dining in the same dining room - the # of diners has not changed - you are implying that normal cruisers are now somehow "cheated" -

The amount of space might not be impacted, just as the number of servers won't change. There will just be a redistribution of "assets" and it remains to be seen how it will all play out. For example, let's say that at 7:00 p.m. on a "pre-Club Class cruise", there are 50 passengers from mid-ship Mini Suites in one of the ATD MDRs. They are spread all throughout the dining room. The remainder of the tables are occupied by 300 other passengers who are not in mid-ship Minis. After the change, you will still have 50 mid-ship Club Class diners in the MDR and 300 other passengers in there too. Only now, instead of being spread throughout the dining room, the Club Class passengers are herded together in one area. The same number of tables are allocated to the other passengers and the same number of servers are serving the other passengers. It's just redistribution.

But might there be a difference after all? Perhaps. Maybe the Club Class (and suite) folks will get all the windowside tables. To the extent that there is a "preferred" location in a dining room, maybe the other 300 diners will be excluded from sitting there, whereas before, they had a chance to get a "good" table. Same with servers. Before, perhaps luck of the draw (or a specific request) would land a "regular" diner at a table with the most desired staff. Now that staff is allocated to the Club Class area and neither chance nor special request will allow you one of those coveted servers.

Finally, perhaps there were 20 mid-ship Mini-Suite passengers dining in Specialty restaurants at 7:00, and another 30 at Horizon Court because they were unenthusiastic about the MDR experience. Once Club Class kicks in, those diners will be paying extra for their status, and one of the main things being advertised is the upgraded dining experience. Why pay extra for upgrades you aren't going to use? So the 50 passengers who were previously at a Specialty restaurant or the buffet are now descending on the MDR with preferred seating. That will in fact add passengers to the MDR and put a crush on space for the rest of the people who want to dine there. One side effect that might develop is increased availability in Traditional Dining. Sounds like the Club Class people will all be selecting ATD, so that should open up space in Traditional. For those who prefer Traditional there should be greater availability. Of course, if you take all of the mid-ship Mini passengers who used to choose Traditional and place them into the ATD MDRs, you add a lot more people to the dining room and the crush gets worse. So when the hand is played out to the end, it is not difficult to see that there can be some changes ahead for the regular folks. Will they be "cheated"? Not sure that is the right word. Negatively impacted? Probably. What remains to be seen is, by how much.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The space between tables in the Luminae area of the MDR on Celebrity is more than the space in the rest of the dining room so ,yes, the rest of the dining room probably DID become more crowded.

Due to the layout of Princess dining rooms I don't think this will happen but I do agree that the best servers will probably be there.

The space between tables in the Luminae area of the MDR on Celebrity is more than the space in the rest of the dining room so ,yes, the rest of the dining room probably DID become more crowded.

Due to the layout of Princess dining rooms I don't think this will happen but I do agree that the best servers will probably be there.

As someone who has sailed on Celebrity both before and after the implementation of Luminae, the tables are closer together in the MDR then before and the over all noise level is higher. It has also become much more difficult to get early TD there. The biggest impact is because they make a major point of no or minimal wait times for Luminae they have a higher ratio of tables to passengers (more tables are empty at any given time) So it was not just a case of the same number of tables that they would have used in MDR.

Edited by RDC1

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but many cruisers travel with other people and not everyone is in the same class of cabins. So, if I for example take my kids on a cruise, it's doubtful they are going to be in a club class or suite. We cruise to be together especially for the evening meal. So hubby and I wont be in said club class dining room, we'll be with our friends and family.

Yes, space has been taken from "normal" cruisers in Celebrity for Suite passenegrs only. In the main dining rooms, a very large thick wall was installed between the normal MDR and Luminae, taking floor space away. Tables in Luminae are also set further apart than in the normal MDR thus reducing even more the footprint for "normal" passengers. And Michael's Club, which on all ships was a piano bar anyone and everyone could enjoy, has become a suite only lounge - thus less space for "normal" passengers...

And on Infinity Class, with both Blu and Luminae sectioned off from the main dining room, it greatly reduces the footprint available for "normal" passengers, and has affected wait times for Select dining. And tables are much closer together than before either restaurant was added..

It's a wait and see how this pans out on Princess. Will it be sectioned off, or roped off or just a separate entrance or what? Who knows... Wait and see.

Cfutist:

Thanks for the dates. I did see those but was wondering since they sent you the email NOW that maybe they are starting the dining part before the actual club class minis rollout.

Will see on the Regal in a couple of weeks. I am going to take the printed suite amenities list with me and talk to the Captains circle host and whomever else i need to in order to find out what is going on.

thanks

Cfutist:

Thanks for the dates. I did see those but was wondering since they sent you the email NOW that maybe they are starting the dining part before the actual club class minis rollout.

Will see on the Regal in a couple of weeks. I am going to take the printed suite amenities list with me and talk to the Captains circle host and whomever else i need to in order to find out what is going on.

thanks

Please report back. Inquiring minds want to know [emoji848] Edited by IECalCruiser

We have a mini suite booked on the Regal Next January. Out of curiosity I just called Princess to ask what the price difference would be for us to change to Club class mini. She told me that we don't need to we would get those benefits with our mini. As much as I would love those benefits I just can't see that being correct also she didn't say it with much conviction. I think I will email and ask them.

We booked our Grand midship mini the first of April. The price was about $800 higher then the identical cabin/cruise we had booked for an April '16 which we had to cancel at the last minute (trip insurance saved the day on that one). That cabin is now one of Club Class and we received our email yesterday from princess saying no price increase and my thinking is that they had already factored in an increase before the announcement. In checking the Princess web site today ,those remaining cabins are "NA" again, so we will see if a further increase might be coming. Since this cruise has a lot of sea days over what can be a rocky Pacific, midship is our preferred location.

49er

Edited by 49er