Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

I can't speak for the Volendam but on the Westerdam in October, the library still existed but there was no librarian. I've read on another thread that the librarian position is being eliminated. One signed books out on a piece of paper. When books were returned, they were stacked until another entertainment staff member could reshelve them. There was no order to the books. I think they might have been put in the correct section but they were not in any order beyond that; they were simply shoved in an empty spot. Elimination of the librarian position is a very disappointing cutback, IMO.

Next step is eliminating the Lido Dining. You can bring enough food on board at each Port stop to get through your cruise. Oops ! you can't bring food on board. What will they cut back next ?

I have both a Kindle, and a Tablet with book apps, to read on my veranda.... but I love a ships library where I can see and read real books.

I love the reclined leather chairs, and having a big tome showing great big color prints, maps, art works, etc.

Again, with the Kdam being lax in having and stocking a proper library experience for its pax is a dire outlook for future HAL ship designs.

With poor library, and promenade design, HAL seem to be in a limbo with not reaching the younger market, and alienating the older one.

I hope HAL gets the younger market with the Kdam design as they are sure not pleasing many of the older generation.

They are. As a millennial the King is the best HAL ship we've sailed.

Surely HA know that there is a trend back to paper books worldwide.
I'm sorry but this is a distortion of the data. Paper sales increased 2.4%. That's surely better than falling, but e-book sales increased 3.8%. The New York Times, of all sources, actually helped perpetuate this myth by calling a decrease in growth a "slip". You'd expect the Times to be a bit more straightforward than that. Regardless, no matter how you slice it 3.8% > 2.4%.

The hubbub is a bit of human construction in two parts: First, e-books are "struggling" because a lot of publishers are trying to increase prices so that they can get as much for an e-book as for a paper book, despite the lower cost. Rather than aiming for the same amount of profit, they're aiming for the same amount of revenue. I, myself, have responded to that tactic at least once by buying the paper book.

Second, for certain things, paper is better. (tour books and cruise guides, for example.) For some things, electronic is better (such as 1000 page novels which break my wrist in paper form), and for those things I'll buy electronic even if the price is the same. However, we've moving past the black-and-white "it must be all or nothing" phase in the industry. With shades-of-gray logic now more often driving many consumers, this period of reconciliation between electronic and paper was inevitable.

However, none of this gets to the matter of libraries on cruise ships. Even if paper books were on the rise and e-books were heading for oblivion, that doesn't necessarily affect the value of libraries on cruise ships. If the growth of sales of both e-books and paper books says anything, in this regard, it says that people are more likely to be bringing their own books to read. That might be a good forum poll thread: How many cruisers bring their own books to read on cruises versus those who rely solely on what they can borrow from the cruise ship libraries that are on the ships that have them? Public library usage in North America surged during 2008 and 2009, due to the Great Recession. It makes sense that with the recession fading into the past that those gains would be lost.

Indeed, public libraries are recognizing the trends, and becoming more general public rental entities, lending not only books, but music, movies, video games, musical instruments, garden tools, science experiment equipment and even e-readers! How can cruise ship libraries remain relevant, when there is little chance that folks will be interested in borrowing garden tools while on a cruise? Well, they have the the Explorations Cafe, for starters. It's not the same, you say, and you're right. However, in some ways, and for some people, it is better.

Edited by bUU

That might be a good forum poll thread: How many cruisers bring their own books to read on cruises versus those who rely solely on what they can borrow from the cruise ship libraries that are on the ships that have them? Public library usage in North America surged during 2008 and 2009, due to the Great Recession. It makes sense that with the recession fading into the past that those gains would be lost.

I can run through 3 or 4 books on a seven day cruise. I would never leave on a cruise dependent upon finding something to read in a ship's library. I always download enough books to get me through the cruise.

Thank you so much for this link!! I didn't know about this and I'm an avid ebook reader, particularly when on a cruise.

You're welcome. Our library (Broward county, FL) lets you check out up to 10 ebooks at a time. The titles available are on a per library basis, so bigger libraries tend to have more books from which to choose.

I'm sorry but this is a distortion of the data. Paper sales increased 2.4%. That's surely better than falling, but e-book sales increased 3.8%. The New York Times, of all sources, actually helped perpetuate this myth by calling a decrease in growth a "slip". You'd expect the Times to be a bit more straightforward than that. Regardless, no matter how you slice it 3.8% > 2.4%.

The hubbub is a bit of human construction in two parts: First, e-books are "struggling" because a lot of publishers are trying to increase prices so that they can get as much for an e-book as for a paper book, despite the lower cost. Rather than aiming for the same amount of profit, they're aiming for the same amount of revenue. I, myself, have responded to that tactic at least once by buying the paper book.

This is an interesting discussion of changes in the book industry and it is certainly relevant to the cruise industry. From what I can find, in this country about 80% of sales are still paper books and book lovers are thrilled to be seeing more bookstores after a number of our largest chains closed a while ago. I will not buy ebooks when I can get a paper book for a similar or slightly higher price as it can be shared with others.

Our friends were on a European river cruise where the cruise director asked the Aussies to please take all of the books which other Aussies had left behind. I suppose to go to a sharing type library can become unwieldy and a bit messy.

I imagine the cruise lines look at the things which they believe will attract their clients and there are so many different things attractive to different people.

Edited by Karennella

I have both a Kindle, and a Tablet with book apps, to read on my veranda.... but I love a ships library where I can see and read real books.

I love the reclined leather chairs, and having a big tome showing great big color prints, maps, art works, etc.

Again, with the Kdam being lax in having and stocking a proper library experience for its pax is a dire outlook for future HAL ship designs.

With poor library, and promenade design, HAL seem to be in a limbo with not reaching the younger market, and alienating the older one.

I hope HAL gets the younger market with the Kdam design as they are sure not pleasing many of the older generation.

They are. As a millennial the King is the best HAL ship we've sailed.

I was just on a 10 day cruise on the Koningsdam and am a huge fan of this new ship. I may only cruise on it and it's sister when she is launched. I'm 75, as is my companion, and there were few young cruisers - almost all the elderly on this cruise. There are 13 HAL ships for those wanting a promenade with deck chairs and wanting a library. I think HAL hit a home run with this new design. At my age, I hope I'm around long enough to enjoy more cruises on her.

I was just on a 10 day cruise on the Koningsdam and am a huge fan of this new ship. I may only cruise on it and it's sister when she is launched. I'm 75, as is my companion, and there were few young cruisers - almost all the elderly on this cruise. There are 13 HAL ships for those wanting a promenade with deck chairs and wanting a library. I think HAL hit a home run with this new design. At my age, I hope I'm around long enough to enjoy more cruises on her.

I'm 70 so I can relate to your opinion. I'm lucky. Life is good. I just hope I too can spend many more days on an aft wrap.

Restocking the libraries with new books costs money.

Maybe they will open bookstores on board to sell them.

That is not a good enough reason to do away with the libraries. HAL had better find the money. There are too many cruise ships that do have libraries to waste time on a HAL ship that doesn't care enough about his passengers to maintain a library.

Try bringing fresh fruits, veggies, on board, it will be confiscated

Where did this happen?? I've never had it taken away. As someone on board once said to me - where do you think the ship gets their supplies?

We bring different fruit on that is not available on the ship and unique to the country/island we are visiting. You can't take it OFF of course but never a problem bringing it on. ;)

Try bringing fresh fruits, veggies, on board, it will be confiscated
We've never had a problem doing it.

being 4* we would not sail that ship again. It was cold looking, no art work and didn't feel like a HAL ship.
Ditto. With no brass and all that chrome and white/gray/black decor I often thought I wasn't on a HAL ship.

being 4* we would not sail that ship again. It was cold looking, no art work and didn't feel like a HAL ship.

No art work? What? It had gorgeous works of art all over. The front stairwell artwork was incredibly, and I want the three deers in my house that graced one of the aft stairwell levels.

"Cold looking" = no brass, which is insanely out of style.

We switched from the koningsdam to Cunard for the med this fall
But isn't this what should happen? Isn't Cunard supposed to be CCL's cruise line for those folks for whom those kinds of services are so heavily preferred? This is a win for the system as it is designed.

But isn't this what should happen? Isn't Cunard supposed to be CCL's cruise line for those folks for whom those kinds of services are so heavily preferred? This is a win for the system as it is designed.

It is? I would have thought HAL would want to keep their loyal cruisers.

I think you are very wrong. I can't fathom going on Cunard other than to cross the Atlantic. There is a lot more to cruising than a crossing or the Caribbean if you are so inclined ;).

Cunard does NOT replace HAL. If someone is leaving HAL they will most likely go elsewhere. JMO of course.