Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

Our local library only allows ebooks to be checked out for 2 weeks so when we are doing our 66 day on the Maasdam this fall it won't work. Plus, my DW really enjoys holding that book in her hand. Amazon had the Kindle for $20 off the normal price this week but DW does not want one.

You might want to check out Calibre to extend the time you are able to read the ebooks that you download from the library.

Our local library only allows ebooks to be checked out for 2 weeks so when we are doing our 66 day on the Maasdam this fall it won't work. Plus, my DW really enjoys holding that book in her hand. Amazon had the Kindle for $20 off the normal price this week but DW does not want one.

My library does the 2 - 3 week loaner period for ebooks. So, for a long cruise,

I'll load up the max for the first part of the cruise and check out Barnes and Noble for ebooks (on sale of course:) for the rest of the cruise. It works out well. I like the nook since it's glare free but I am sure the kindle has the same kind of model. This is my second nook. I wore the first one out.

For some of us, part of the joy of reading is holding a real book, turning real pages. Seeing the actual book on a table, or in my hands. There's more to it than just reading the words, there is the sense of touch, too. To me, a real book engages my senses more than pixels can.

That's just my opinion, though I know other people who feel the same.

DH and I are happy to make room in our suitcases to take along a couple of books.

My feelings exactly and a book does not need to be recharged!

All the books I loaded on my iPad for my World Voyage in 2014 are still sitting there unread 200 sea days later.

I would be sorry to see HAL get rid of libraries although putting them in a bar area (Crow's Nest) seems to be a poor location.

I always take books to read and leave them in the book exchange onboard.

Ours allows 3 weeks, but they stay on for as long as I leave my Kindle in airplane mode. :)

The joy of a "real" library on the ship is that I can (and do) pick up 10 -20 books on a 2 week cruise. All authors I have not read, all authors that I know nothing about. If I dont like them... "shrug" I wander the few feet back to the library and find something else..... Yeah.. I NEED a library on a cruise!

PS: So the Koningsdam does not have a lot of boos yet... Then BRING a bunch! I have always thought that these libraries have been "populated" by past passengers anyway... Gonna take time, so do your part and bring a few on-board!

With the vast number of people using e-readers and audio books these days, a small library will probably suffice. With the availability of just about any e-book through my library, I haven't read a printed book in several years. I'm sure that this is a trend that hasn't gone unnoticed by HAL.

I'm sure this is the primary reason libraries are getting smaller on ships. I'm a librarian (i.e. I manage a public library and I buy books for a living), but I prefer to read on my Kindle. (So light, it holds hundreds of books, and there's a built in reading lamp!) An interesting note: I was on Norwegian Epic in October. That ship, which was built without a library or card room, had both newly added during its three week dry dock. So there is demand, even on NCL. :p

I'm sure this is the primary reason libraries are getting smaller on ships. I'm a librarian (i.e. I manage a public library and I buy books for a living), but I prefer to read on my Kindle. (So light, it holds hundreds of books, and there's a built in reading lamp!) An interesting note: I was on Norwegian Epic in October. That ship, which was built without a library or card room, had both newly added during its three week dry dock. So there is demand, even on NCL. :p

I love your comment : "even on NCL". We have a cruise booked on the Epic and we think that even people who sail with NCL know how to read. And enjoy it, as well!:)

I was on the April 15 cruise on the Koningsdam. There was a question and

answer session with the captain. He did say there would be a library, but

the books that were ordered hadn't come yet.

Did you enjoy Koningsdam ?

I was on the April 15 cruise on the Koningsdam. There was a question and

answer session with the captain. He did say there would be a library, but

the books that were ordered hadn't come yet.

He has changed his tune then. I was on the KD from April 8th to 27th. I have no interest in a library but it for some it was certainly the topic of conversation, particularly amongst seasoned HAL guests.

At the Q&A during the week of the 8th April the reply given by the Hotel Manager was a reference to many people today reading e'books. No mention of restocking additional books to the handful of travel guides & the one or two atlas/maps & board games.

This was my first introduction to Holland & America , I'm a Cunarder at heart ......(a ships library ...now your talking Library ! ;) ) from what I understand this new Koningsdam and it's Pinnacle brand image is poles apart from the rest of the ships in the HAL fleet and I understand there is another one on the way. I certainly won't be going back to it. More a mini version of NCL/MSC .

A good library, with an interesting selection of books, is essential for my cruise enjoyment. A library is food for the soul!

Where else can you read those big heavy travel books, atlases and maps of where you are currently cruising and where you can dream about cruising next?

I you are a real library lover like I am, give Swan Hellenic a try. The Minerva just a small, plain ship but oh, the library is wonderful.

I you are a real library lover like I am, give Swan Hellenic a try. The Minerva just a small, plain ship but oh, the library is wonderful.

Yes!!

I was thinking of Minerva when someone upthread said HAL had the best libraries at sea.

Minerva has the best library at sea that I've ever experienced.

My second stop after dropping hand carries in the stateroom is always the library to pick up a few books. My next stop is the prom/LP deck to sit in a deck chair. Sounds like neither is much of an option on the Kdam.

For those who like to use electronic devices go for it....but as many have said for some we still like to read a paper book. Yes you can bring your own books but part of the fun of cruising is finding a selectio of interesting books in the library

For those who say they don't care if the Kdam has a narrow walking deck and no chairs good for you but I do think this is a very important feature for a lot of Holland customers.

The simple solution for me is to stick with the older Holland ships that have the features like a proper library and walking deck with deck chairs.

Hopefully some bean counter won't decide that these traditional spaces must be turned into some new "revenue enhancement area" peddling cheap watches and the like. I can find that at Walmart thank you.

Not meaning to be snarky, but why can't you just bring your own book?

We do always bring our own books with us, but when you are on a 40 or 50 day cruise that's a lot of books. We leave the books we have brought with us in the library for others. Not a problem on a 7 or 14 day cruise.

Allan

We do always bring our own books with us, but when you are on a 40 or 50 day cruise that's a lot of books. We leave the books we have brought with us in the library for others. Not a problem on a 7 or 14 day cruise.

Allan

Maybe I am weird but I usually go to the library (either local or on the ship) and take two or three books....I will often read fifty pages or so and then decide I don't like it enough to read the entire thing...so i simply return it to the library and go to the next book.

If i were to buy all the books I would have a giant pile of books that I paid for only to read fifty pages...not to mention trying to carry enough books for a long cruise as I can often go through 4 or more books a week. There are a lot of good books and an even bigger pile of crap books out there. I also enjoy that most Holland ships have a section of old classics that I haven't read in years available if i want to plow through them.

Different strokes for different folks but a good library is one of the most important features for me when selecting a ship or cruise line...that and a nice deck chair to sit in and read the books..

Allan

Exactly :)

We don't care as long as there is some sort of book exchange. We seldom use the library for anything else. We always sit elsewhere to read and we invariably bring our own materials.

Edited by iancal

Reading through this thread, it sounds like the Koningsdam *is* going to have a library. It's on the deck plans. People who have been on the ship have reported that the books aren't there/all there yet, but the books are coming.

Yet we still have our panties in a bunch or our knickers in a twist? How many pairs of underwear do you people have? I can't be tying mine in knots because a new ship is missing books at launch. My dresser drawers aren't big enough.

But the K is different and that means "change" ... Ahhhhh make it stop[emoji33][emoji30][emoji15][emoji19][emoji1]

For some of us, part of the joy of reading is holding a real book, turning real pages. Seeing the actual book on a table, or in my hands. There's more to it than just reading the words, there is the sense of touch, too. To me, a real book engages my senses more than pixels can.

That's just my opinion, though I know other people who feel the same.

DH and I are happy to make room in our suitcases to take along a couple of books.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Cruiser Bill kindly posted this link of 107 more photographs of the Kdam from an article in USA Today's web site:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/05/04/holland-america-koningsdam-cruise/83913010/

And on one of the slides it says:

Although the Koningsdam does not have a dedicated library, reference books and games are available for guests' use in the Explorations Cafe.

I've read the threads about the narrower Promenade with no loungers and complaints about other changes, but THIS hits me where it hurts. HAL has the BEST libraries on the seas and I'm so sad it appears they will not be on this larger ship. My best day at sea is with a good PAPER (non-electronic) book on a shady lounge chair overlooking the sea. Sad...

Tina

I share your feeling 100%. Unfortunately, I have found this to be the case on the new Princess and Celebrity ships as well. I guess the thinking is most people travel with a kindle or something similar... which not true for me. I still prefer hard copy vs electronic reading accept for the internet.

On the newer Celebrity ships, they actually have a library with phoney books for decor only can you image?

One of the things I really liked was the travel library on board ships... even these ref books no long on Celebrity.

Those of us of see this as a major short coming should start mentioning this in our critique... I plan to do so. Maybe we can get some one to listen.

Saga Pearl II - The Library (for 449 passengers)

"Saga Pearl II boasts a library containing more books per passenger than any other classic cruise ship, and the impressive 3,000+ collection of books is the real heart of the ship. "

Great library... reading, internet, stewards in attendance all the time and tea and coffee always available. Shackleton's Bar right there if you prefer something cooler.

541924551_Pearllibrary-II_F_Allan_097m.jpg.ff6896f8d935b6115298d1628c0b18e4.jpg

986445173_pearl2library0_105802.jpg.3d7458ece32f6e9ff8d79c57f885fcad.jpg

1614812856_pearllibrary_II_03(Large).jpg.a97acf05c9e67779d241b9ce1daee340.jpg

I have hundreds on my tablet. Then again, I finish almost every book I start

Yup, same here. I was completely ANTI kindle for years and then 6 years ago my DH bought me one for Mother's Day. I tried to be kind and used it. I found that it was soo easy to buy books anywhere. I could download a new book in the middle of my daughter's gymnastic class! As a Mom on the go, this won me over; I don't have time to run to the Library every couple of days. Plus my kindle unlimited membership gives me access to a lot of books for $10 a month. I could never afford to buy all the books I read.

I have never done a cruise for more than a week, so if I was on a really long cruise, I would probably need access to wifi at some point to download new books. But either way, if I could be on a cruise for that long, I would be ecstatic!