Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

or the stairwells that always had ship paintings. A photo in the cabin and some sculptures around but not like a HAL ship. No antiques like Edam or NA. Lots of kiosks with video. Nothing in the long hallways. Just a mural in Sel de Mer. If there were large paintings they sure hid them well. Only saw the Park West junk.

... or the stairwells that always had ship paintings.
Every mid-level landing of every stairwell had some modern art ... but I don't recall seeing any of the traditional ship paintings. Email me and I'll send you about 20 pictures of the art. Edited by jtl513

That is way too bizarre for my taste. No thank you. John, I'm with you...Nieuw Amsterdam is my favorite ship, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my cup of tea either. Kind of reminds me of some of the art we saw on the Riviera - didn't care for it.

But art, like food is subjective and it may appeal to many.

Not my cup of tea either. Kind of reminds me of some of the art we saw on the Riviera - didn't care for it.

I'm sure it will. They must survey this stuff before implementing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've made your distaste for Riviera quite clear, so clear you use every negative reference possible! I've never seen any art on Riviera that has any resemblance.

You've made your distaste for Riviera quite clear, so clear you use every negative reference possible! I've never seen any art on Riviera that has any resemblance.

OMG -all I said was it reminds me of the art. If you didn't see it, it doesn't mean it wasn't there ;). I posted pics on my live thread at the time stating that this artist wasn't my cup of tea, but I don't like the late Picasso work either.

Edited by kazu

Yes, there was a variety of art work on the Kdam. Some I liked, some I didn't. Just like music, some I like and then there's some that I have no appreciation for. Food is the same way, some folks like sushi and others can't even imagine trying it and can't fathom how anyone could possibly put that kind of stuff in their body. Some prefer blondes; others brunettes. Heck, some say Bald is Beautiful.

It's nice to have variety and choices in our lives. For those that don't like the Kdam for one reason or another, they have lots of choices to cruise other ships.

Those of us fortunate enough to be able to cruise are very blessed - Life is good.

Three days ago at the Captain's talk he mentioned that the Kongingsdam will be adding a library. He also said the the upcoming (2018) Nieuw Statendam will have a library from day one.

Yippee! Good news, indeed.

Did he happen to mention if the library will actually have books in it? Rather than just a comfortable place to read? And someone to staff it to restock returned books?

(just trying to cover the bases here. ;))

Just returned from the K-Dam. Like Dave said, the captain did make a point to mention that there will eventually be a real library on the K-Dam and one from the start on new ship. Right now, the "library" just holds a variety of reference travel guides that cannot be checked out. Passengers are continually leaving paperbacks and magazines on the shelves. He didn't mention whether the new library will have books to check out or whether it will be staffed.

I think HAL has received a lot of complaints about the lack of a real library and the promenade deck. The promenade deck does not appeal to me at all but looking at the lifeboats, I now totally understand how in a serious emergency it would be much easier to get people on the lifeboats and perhaps save lives. Having the muster drill in various inside parts of the ship also makes sense. Mine was in the dining room, 3 floors directly below my cabin, and it was well marked in sections. Instead of whining about the heat, etc., people were actually listening to the instructions and watching the crew demonstration.

As to the art, I loved it. It was different; some of it had an impact on me while other had me shaking my head and thinking WTH. I absolutely loved the Singer sewing machine as my grandmother had one in the basement and it brought back some happy memories of her hemming my dresses and slacks. I also loved the cello/sailing ship. Art, like food, is very subjective but if it brings out some emotion in a viewer, either good bad or good, it has done its job.