Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

Already blushing! Many thanks for your very kind comments. Already 25 years on this project... and I have enjoyed every moment with these beautiful ships. Thanks.

Stephen

x4

Your paintings are a true HAL treasure. While the other 'historic' art on HAL ships is interesting in theme and history your paintings are singularly a part of the HAL heritage. I love to roam the ships and discover paintings I have not seen before.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

On the final cruise of the Statendam, prior to our arrival into Singapore, the On Location Guide and the staff member in charge of the library area were boxing books to be removed at Singapore. I was told they would be stored in Singapore until the Amsterdam made its port visit during the Winter. The books would then be transported on the Amsterdam until she was in port with the Koningsdam in Italy. At that time, the books from the Statendam would be transferred to the Koningsdam. Did this not happen?

Tempest in a teapot? One thing this thread has done is show how much the HAL libraries are appreciated. I'm one of those who bring a fully stocked Kindle, but I love to walk past the shelves, looking for new authors or old favorites and then settling down to read them. For me, that's the relaxing part of the cruise.

Already blushing! Many thanks for your very kind comments. Already 25 years on this project... and I have enjoyed every moment with these beautiful ships. Thanks.

Stephen

Captain , I love , love , love your paintings on all of the HAL ships . Like another poster said I sometimes just love to walk the stairs all the way up to see all the "Dams " and the many " Dijks ' that you have painted .

I was sad there was only one of them on the Koningsdam . It is in a very nice location in the captains corner . But another lovely painting ! I am amazed you did paint that just from the plans .:)

Another thing I missed on the Koningsdam besides the library is all the nautical history , the old photos of the HAL ships , the old classic seascapes . Now it is all modern art some of it nice , other stuff was not at all necessary for me .

Of coarse to see the "new " logo on the chimney also hurts a lot , 143 years of very proud HAL history thrown overboard because somebody thought we need to change the image of the cruise line and get rid of "The Halve Maen ". I know the history is still there , it is just not visible !! :(

Edited by sailingdutchy

Of coarse to see the "new " logo on the chimney also hurts a lot , 143 years of very proud HAL history thrown overboard because somebody thought we need to change the image of the cruise line and get rid of "The Halve Maen ". I know the history is still there , it is just not visible !! :(

But the previous logo was only on HAL ships beginning from the 1980s. Why not go back to the striped funnels that were used for the longest stretch of HAL's history? ;)

(On the Holland America website, it's not until I had read halfway through Part IV of IV that the logo you speak of came into the story....)

I downloaded two books to my IPad for our 33 day cruise. And, what did I do as soon as I got on board? Hit the library to see if anything appealed. And I found two great books :)

Those are what I read. I agree with you, there is something engaging about reading a real book.

Bolding is mine. Totally agree Silver. :). Long may the libraries live on the longer cruises.

LOL, I just had to jump in when I read your comment, kazu. That's exactly what seems to happen to me on every cruise! I make sure to have a lot of books on my Kindle, but then I'm drawn up to the library and end up finding my reading material there for the duration of the cruise. I love getting a coffee from Explorations and sipping it while I peruse the library. I LOVE the libraries on HAL ships, and the more I read about the new K, the less I'm excited about sailing her....

But the previous logo was only on HAL ships beginning from the 1980s. Why not go back to the striped funnels that were used for the longest stretch of HAL's history? ;)

(On the Holland America website, it's not until I had read halfway through Part IV of IV that the logo you speak of came into the story....)

Yes, the Halve Maen logo was used in the eighties, that is true. The logo itself goes much further... like 1938. It was used on almost everything... on paper.

I am sad that we have lost the original logo. The ships in the logo represents the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam and Halve Maen. It represents 400 years of Dutch sailing. Don't say it too loud, but Hendrik Hudson... actually Henry Hudson and he was an Englishman. Shhhhh. ;-)

Anyhow the new logo has lost that part of the history. Sadly the redesigned Nw Amsterdam does not even look like the Nw Amsterdam any more. Looks like a ship with black funnels... nothing like HAL at all. Lots of ships have 'ship' logos on their funnels. Most are rather boring and badly designed. The HAL logo was perfect! The new one was changed just for the sake of change. I don't quite understand the point. Some like the new logo. Thair choice. Thing is, before the change you never heard anyone saying, "Change that logo!"

Go back to the old green white green? Ah.. well I loved those colours on buff funnel and grey hulls... would be stunning.

Oh wow!! This IS good news!

I agree. This IS good news. Next question.... WHERE?

Nice touch on the Saga ships.... every cabin comes with a collection of six paperbacks. Fiction, special box collection. No two cabins have the same set. Sometimes it is just nice to grab something as a 'sleeping pill'. ;)

Yes, the Halve Maen logo was used in the eighties, that is true. The logo itself goes much further... like 1938. It was used on almost everything... on paper.

I am sad that we have lost the original logo. The ships in the logo represents the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam and Halve Maen. It represents 400 years of Dutch sailing. Don't say it too loud, but Hendrik Hudson... actually Henry Hudson and he was an Englishman. Shhhhh. ;-)

Anyhow the new logo has lost that part of the history. Sadly the redesigned Nw Amsterdam does not even look like the Nw Amsterdam any more. Looks like a ship with black funnels... nothing like HAL at all. Lots of ships have 'ship' logos on their funnels. Most are rather boring and badly designed. The HAL logo was perfect! The new one was changed just for the sake of change. I don't quite understand the point. Some like the new logo. Thair choice. Thing is, before the change you never heard anyone saying, "Change that logo!"

Go back to the old green white green? Ah.. well I loved those colours on buff funnel and grey hulls... would be stunning.

Thank you Captain I do agree with you 100% "The Halve Maen " logo had a lot of meaning , the new logo is blah and could be of any cruise company .

Like you say just for the sake of change ! Does it attract a new cruise clientele , far from it ! And I don't even like to think about the cost to change everything bearing the old logo on the whole line !

I always look forward to seeing what I'll find at the library. I've discovered writers that I probably wouldn't have tried except for being on a cruise and poking though the books. This is part of my cruise experience.

This is exactly my experience. Finding great books I never expected and would never look for. HAL, keep the libraries !

Thank you Captain I do agree with you 100% "The Halve Maen " logo had a lot of meaning , the new logo is blah and could be of any cruise company .

Like you say just for the sake of change ! Does it attract a new cruise clientele , far from it ! And I don't even like to think about the cost to change everything bearing the old logo on the whole line !

Many thanks your kind comments re the paintings.

Re the KODM paintings. Yes, done from the plans and it was really a nuisance! It would be better with CAD system instead of pencil and paper and ruler! ( And a whole lot of rubbers.... erasers. )

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

If HAL wants to save on real estate, why not have downloadable books that we could read on our tablets?

It is frustrating that our Toronto Library lets us have a book for three weeks, but on a three week cruise, after you fly in a couple of days ahead of time, you run out of reading material before you run out of vacation.

Neat Trick: I did discover that I can backdate my tablet and the books don't disappear, as long as you don't connect online.

John

P.S. Thank you Stephen for the wonderful paintings, they are a treat to come across on the HAL ships.

If HAL wants to save on real estate, why not have downloadable books that we could read on our tablets?

It is frustrating that our Toronto Library lets us have a book for three weeks, but on a three week cruise, after you fly in a couple of days ahead of time, you run out of reading material before you run out of vacation.

Neat Trick: I did discover that I can backdate my tablet and the books don't disappear, as long as you don't connect online.

John

P.S. Thank you Stephen for the wonderful paintings, they are a treat to come across on the HAL ships.

As I mentioned in post 26, you can extend your reading period using Calibre. It's a good ebook management tool for a lot of other reasons, but its ability to get around the library's three week limit is its major attribute for me. Every weekend I sit down with the Globe and Mail's Best Seller list to see what new books have made it to the top 10, note those that I want to read, then go online to the library and put a hold on them. Unfortunately, this means that I often have several books that become available at the same time, but rather than having to constantly put new holds on them, I simply download them as they become available and then read them as I have time. A PVR for books! :)

Edited by Fouremco

For some of us, part of the joy of reading is holding a real book, turning real pages. Seeing the actual book on a table, or in my hands. There's more to it than just reading the words, there is the sense of touch, too. To me, a real book engages my senses more than pixels can.

That's just my opinion, though I know other people who feel the same.

DH and I are happy to make room in our suitcases to take along a couple of books.

Yes, I agree 100% with you! Holding a book invokes so many memories of my childhood. Sorry, but e-readers are just not the same. I would probably just die without having a real book in my hands everyday.

I am really considering cancelling our upcoming cruise on Koningsdam based on all the reviews and information I've read here recently.

I use my Ottawa library and the same thing happens, but why not wait to load one or some of your books until the morning of embarkation (assuming you are staying in a hotel with wifi) or load a new book at a port near itinerary end from an internet cafe (if not buying ships wifi).

And provide tablets for those of us who don't have/bring them. That would be helpful.

But let's not assume that everyone has/wants/brings a reader when they travel.

I love my iPad/Kindles as much as anyone, but they don't replace surfing the stacks of the library...at home or on a cruise. I've read things I'd NEVER think about reading just because the title/flyleaf/author, etc. interested me. Like many others, the first place we go once we've deposited things in our cabin is the library. (I always have books on the Kindle, but rarely end up reading them since there always seem to be books of interest in the ship library.)

I'll have to wait to see how the K'dam library ends up...between that, loss of deck chairs on the Promenade deck, no movie theater, and less storage in cabins, I think I'll be sticking to "the old ships" for now. The newer venues don't appeal to us. Obviously to each his own.

I love my Kindle with all its ebooks. I'll even get books on it that I have in hard copy because I can take them anywhere and so many more of them, and read them more easily (especially the old ones with the little bitty print).

However, there is one thing I really miss because so many travelers read ebooks. You can no longer walk down the aisle of an airplane or past readers in lounge chairs and see what they are reading to get ideas for your next book. I think that's what I really like about seeing books on shelves... they grab my attention. So I hope that there are more books on the Koningsdam when we board her this summer. If not, I'll still have a wonderful vacation.

• 6 months later...

The simple solution for me is to stick with the older Holland ships that have the features like a proper library and walking deck with deck chairs.

Hopefully some bean counter won't decide that these traditional spaces must be turned into some new "revenue enhancement area" peddling cheap watches and the like. I can find that at Walmart thank you.

I just came off the Zaandam on Nov 8th and our librarian was being moved and not replaced. Apparently the library will be 'reconfigured' during the next dry dock. Many people up in arms. write to the guestrelations at HAL. GuestRelations@hollandamerica.com. I just did.

I enjoyed the large library spread over 2 floors on this ship a couple of years ago. If everything on a cruises ship has to generate revenue then a library might be seen as superfluous. Also, with Kindles and e-readers, passengers are absorbing the costs.

If everything on a cruises ship has to generate revenue then ....

If everything on a cruise ship has to generate revenue then --- there's really no reason to take a cruise.

Simple pleasures are becoming a thing of the past on board.