Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

I've also enjoyed the book club HAL offers on long cruises. In my life I've found a certain comfort in having lots of books in my homes. Making sure I have enough to read on vacations, or in my everyday life, is as important as the clothes I select to wear. Other cruiselines that we've sailed with have disappointing libraries with limited hours. The library on the HAL ships has been something we've enjoyed.

I downloaded two books to my IPad for our 33 day cruise. And, what did I do as soon as I got on board? Hit the library to see if anything appealed. And I found two great books :)

Those are what I read. I agree with you, there is something engaging about reading a real book.

Bolding is mine. Totally agree Silver. :). Long may the libraries live on the longer cruises.

A shelf of books allows accidental discoveries that cannot be replicated electronically. Some fear this will narrow us intellectually, or at least reduce the chance an individual's thoughts verge off in a new and potentially important direction.

On a recent cruise I enjoyed several very large books with panoramic photographs of cityscapes, northern lights, etc. Sounds like that serendipitous pleasure would not happen on the Koningsdam.

I can appreciate that having a good library onboard regardless if you bring books or a kindle from home would always be a plus and never a negative. Yes you could always find a book onboard that you would not have otherwise read or what if you are relying on a device and it somehow stops working :eek:.

I know I myself have been known to peruse the little shelf in the lady's restroom at my old employer's building from time to time and added a book or two back. :D

But on the other hand, I don't think I would ever pick or not pick a cruise based on the contents of their library.

... or what if you are relying on a device and it somehow stops working :eek:
Exactly what happened to me 1/3 of the way across the Atlantic. :( :( Edited by catl331

Exactly what happened to me 1/3 of the way across the Atlantic. :( :(

I actually had never thought of this until this thread; so it is definitely an eye opener! I worry about my battery life but this could be a real problem.

A shelf of books allows accidental discoveries that cannot be replicated electronically. Some fear this will narrow us intellectually, or at least reduce the chance an individual's thoughts verge off in a new and potentially important direction.

On a recent cruise I enjoyed several very large books with panoramic photographs of cityscapes, northern lights, etc. Sounds like that serendipitous pleasure would not happen on the Koningsdam.

So well put. I never understood why people feel they have to defend Kindle vs. book or vice versa. Both are good and fill certain niches for me. I've been a book editor (and granddaughter of a librarian) and have nothing but praise for e-Readers. They enable me to bring with me virtually any reference book I might have or a slew of novels, without taking up room or weight.

But there's also something great about a good library aboard ship, especially one with atlases, reference books, etc. related to one's journey. And I agree I've often preferentially read a book that I found in a ship's library over the ones on my well-stocked Kindle, because it appealed to me at that moment.

I actually had never thought of this until this thread; so it is definitely an eye opener! I worry about my battery life but this could be a real problem.

Once enroute to a week in Rome, I had put my eReader in my airplane seat pocket. The guy in front of me was moving around and flexing and stretching his seat every which way and he flexed it so much that my Kindle broke. :mad: I had a layover in a US airport, luckily, where I rushed to a bookstore and bought 3 relatively interesting-looking paperbacks to tide me over.

Here is the photo of the Library that was posted in the US Today.

Looks more like shelves for games etc and not much for books. Might be more shelves, but from the plan that I saw before... this is all it is.

I'd rather see Captain's Corner as a library instead just a sitting area.

635977815332494760-030-koningsdamlibrary.jpg.585e877741055f994f2a2c5ff1b0a4ad.jpg

Looks more like shelves for games etc and not much for books. Might be more shelves, but from the plan that I saw before... this is all it is.

Yes this is exactly as it is and the extend of the library besides and small shelving unit with some of the larger coffee table books . They were even cutting down on the number of books on the Oosterdam just before it went into drydock on our way over to the Koningsdam .

My big let down was not only the books are missing but the nice relaxing "library " as a space is not there . I guess the idea is it does not make any revenue for the company , let's scrap it .

Because of the huge competition between the different cruise lines , cruises become cheaper and cheaper and each year there are more and more cuts .:(:(:(

So HAL should have built the same ship again?
For me they might as well not have built it at all. DH likes new ships, so we may try the K once for his sake, but then it will be back to the ships that I love until they are no more.

Why scrap it? It works on Carnival ships. They have a very quite good library and a nice play to read. in addition.... a very small bar offering a brandy or two during the evening and when closed you can get your own at the self service bar. Simply use you own sign card and serve yourself.

Here are two scenes from the CARNIVAL SUNSHINE. I did the painting... "Thos. White" on the Mississippi. The 'theme'... American authors so in this case Mark Twin.

This area, 'Captain's Corner' could easily be used as a library... and the bar is right next to it. Train the waiters to keep an eye on the room so the reader does not have too much brandy. ;) A no brainer you would think.

363929690_CARNIVALlibraryimagesBEPBEWGV.jpg.8e2e1beea13e0453760b492ec6ff5493.jpg

Carnival_Cruise_Lines_Carnival_Sunshine_Library_Bar_1_707_471.jpg.f1ae909f288bd8c8e2a65de6470f47a3.jpg

Edited by Topsham

My big let down was not only the books are missing but the nice relaxing "library " as a space is not there . I guess the idea is it does not make any revenue for the company , let's scrap it .

Of HAL removes all the non-revenue producing areas, then there's no reason left to sail the ships.

I could just as easily stay home and go to the mall. :rolleyes:

Why take away every area (which it seems they've made a good start on) that's just a place to relax, reflect, and renew? Those are parts of a cruise, too.

Of HAL removes all the non-revenue producing areas, then there's no reason left to sail the ships.

I could just as easily stay home and go to the mall. :rolleyes:

Why take away every area (which it seems they've made a good start on) that's just a place to relax, reflect, and renew? Those are parts of a cruise, too.

I couldn't agree more. While we fully appreciate the fact that many passengers enjoy the many activities provided aboard, DW and I always seek out places where we can relax, read a good book (whatever the format), chat or just snooze should the mood strike us.

If this is a "library" it sucks:mad:

Although I always travel with a kindle and a couple of books, I really have enjoyed the library, particularly on a long cruise! It seems such an easy thing to keep, hopefully HAL will rethink this and the promenade!

So true. Many of my future cruise plans have been hatched in the Explorations cafe while sipping coffee and staring at the sea go by. The mind has a chance to reflect, as you say. (Doesn't happen in the gift shop!)

"Next year we could sail transatlantic and then go to Ireland" is reinforced by an Ireland guidebook a few feet away. Then I might go to the big library table and pull out a large atlas. Then we head down to the future cruise consultant's desk.

So from a purely commercial standpoint, those libraries have played a role on board. Along with the promenades, they've created and reinforced a bond between me and HAL during the past ten years.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

So true. Many of my future cruise plans have been hatched in the Explorations cafe while sipping coffee and staring at the sea go by. The mind has a chance to reflect, as you say. (Doesn't happen in the gift shop!)

"Next year we could sail transatlantic and then go to Ireland" is reinforced by an Ireland guidebook a few feet away. Then I might go to the big library table and pull out a large atlas. Then we head down to the future cruise consultant's desk.

So from a purely commercial standpoint, those libraries have played a role on board. Along with the promenades, they've created and reinforced a bond between me and HAL during the past ten years.

Cogent point. Hopefully the people in HAL's corner offices think of this. They are going to need some heavy marketing or extremely competitive products and services in those spaces where library and traditional promenade might have been. And that will be just to attract repeat customers for whom these omissions was not a deal-breaker.

I love the library. More so on the smaller ships where it is more of a dedicated space. I have a medical condition where I can not use a kindle, can not handle flashing lights and, heaven forbid, I don't even drink coffee :eek:. I know, I know, hard to believe.

So I gravitate to the library. I like to do the jigsaw puzzles and DH either joins me or reads in one of the lovely chairs nearby. DD and DS do their homework on the computers.

What we hated about the Disney Magic was there was no QUIET space to sit (music is piped everywhere and the announcements ever end) and no space where we could sit and look out. I sure hope HAL is not going that way...if they were they would make their quad cabins with the bunk bed set up that Disney uses instead of putting the Pullman over the main bed. So I hold out hope that those of us who cruise to relax and distress will be kept in mind when the designers create the next HAL build.

I love the library. More so on the smaller ships where it is more of a dedicated space. I have a medical condition where I can not use a kindle, can not handle flashing lights and, heaven forbid, I don't even drink coffee :eek:. I know, I know, hard to believe.

So I gravitate to the library. I like to do the jigsaw puzzles and DH either joins me or reads in one of the lovely chairs nearby. DD and DS do their homework on the computers.

What we hated about the Disney Magic was there was no QUIET space to sit (music is piped everywhere and the announcements ever end) and no space where we could sit and look out. I sure hope HAL is not going that way...if they were they would make their quad cabins with the bunk bed set up that Disney uses instead of putting the Pullman over the main bed. So I hold out hope that those of us who cruise to relax and distress will be kept in mind when the designers create the next HAL build.

(bolding by me)

I can't agree more - libraries seem to be getting a thing of the past and it's one of the features I'll miss most. On the bigger Celebrity ships the library is in the noisy atrium area - still nice, but books are not kept in order and are not replaced. On the smaller ships they have halved the space and/or put the loyalty host's desk in it - no quiet reading possible any more.Just as a example - so do I really have to sail Cunard again with its absolutely stunning libraries???

We've tried a Royal Caribbean mega-ship (Ovation otS) a week ago - very similar to the Disney "Magic" obviously: blaring music in the library :eek: which wasn't easy to find either, blaring music all over the ship so it was impossible to find a quiet spot to simply relax or for a quiet read.

I have never spent so much time in our ( really comfortable and well-laid out!) cabin as before on another cruise.

And yes, I do use an electronic reader when travelling because it offers me a wide choice of reading materials without using the space in my luggage. But browsing through a well-kept library with a café nearby - what can better that??

Why scrap it? It works on Carnival ships. They have a very quite good library and a nice play to read. in addition.... a very small bar offering a brandy or two during the evening and when closed you can get your own at the self service bar. Simply use you own sign card and serve yourself.

Here are two scenes from the CARNIVAL SUNSHINE. I did the painting... "Thos. White" on the Mississippi. The 'theme'... American authors so in this case Mark Twin.

This area, 'Captain's Corner' could easily be used as a library... and the bar is right next to it. Train the waiters to keep an eye on the room so the reader does not have too much brandy. ;) A no brainer you would think.

Dear Captain, one of the highlights of our latest cruise on the Veendam was finding your paintings on the ship. The thumbnails on the internet are nice, but your paintings are magnificent IRL. Husband agrees that your artwork doesn't just capture the physical aspect of the subject, but also that almost undefinable ambience of the ocean scenes as well. The way the light falls, a certain slight haze in the air, etc. I could go on but I won't embarrass you with praise. But we were both in awe of your work. I even took the stairs more than usual because some of your paintings are hung on the stair landings, and I loved looking at them. :D Cheers.

This is disappointing news to me. I guess this is the way of the future for Princess/HAL. I was on the Royal Princess in October and she had a library, but there was one small shelf of fiction books. There were reference books and games, but it was slim pickings for other books. I have a kindle and iPad, but I like reading a real book. I always look forward to seeing what I'll find at the library. I've discovered writers that I probably wouldn't have tried except for being on a cruise and poking though the books. This is part of my cruise experience. I don't like hauling a bunch of books in my already heavy suitcase. A lot of people on the Royal were complaining about the lack of books. Some people felt sorry for me and started dropping books in my mailbox. Fortunately, people did donate their already read books to the library. I guess the K'dam will be the same.

I could go on but I won't embarrass you with praise. But we were both in awe of your work. I even took the stairs more than usual because some of your paintings are hung on the stair landings, and I loved looking at them. :D Cheers.

Already blushing! Many thanks for your very kind comments. Already 25 years on this project... and I have enjoyed every moment with these beautiful ships. Thanks.

Stephen