Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

On The Eurodam we just finished a Med cruise on October 21st. We truly will miss the library there! We were told by the cruise staff who was doing the library said they are removing the library! I asked when!!!!She replied that well time will be up when The Eurodam goes to Alaska! No plans on restarting!

Denise:)

On a thirty day cruise how many books would you have to bring with you? Not everyone enjoys reading off a e-reader and those who go to libraries regularly would enjoy to do so on a world cruise segment. With weight restrictions on airlines one reduces the contents of a suitcase and not add books. There is a simple way of dealing with the library and promenade deck chair issue, don't book any ship that does not offer these facilities.

On The Eurodam we just finished a Med cruise on October 21st. We truly will miss the library there! We were told by the cruise staff who was doing the library said they are removing the library! I asked when!!!!She replied that well time will be up when The Eurodam goes to Alaska! No plans on restarting!

Denise:)

I can understand if HAL does not want to put a library on new ships i.e. Koningsdam, but to take a library off a ship that has one is a crime. Wonder what they will turn that space into??

Allan

On a thirty day cruise how many books would you have to bring with you? Not everyone enjoys reading off a e-reader and those who go to libraries regularly would enjoy to do so on a world cruise segment. With weight restrictions on airlines one reduces the contents of a suitcase and not add books. There is a simple way of dealing with the library and promenade deck chair issue, don't book any ship that does not offer these facilities.

The thing is, with an e-reader, it doesn't work well in a hot and humid climate, when you want to lie on a lounger on a deck to read. Been there, tried that.:(

On the Nov 13th Kdam cruise we were on, one staff told us that since there had been so many complaints about no library on Kdam and the removal of libraries from other Dam ships, that HAL has decided to reverse their decisions and all ships will be getting libraries.

Not meaning to be snarky, but why can't you just bring your own book?

Enjoying a library is far more than just reading a book. We bring our e-books with us, but that does not compare with having a library in which to browse new titles and other authors.

That is good news re Holland rethinking the Libraries. Recently off a 37 day Zaandam cruise and the library was certainly one of the most used facilities on the entire ship. I must have read at least 20 books. I have a kindle but still much prefer REAL books and the comfortable seats and atmosphere of a library.

On the Nov 13th Kdam cruise we were on, one staff told us that since there had been so many complaints about no library on Kdam and the removal of libraries from other Dam ships, that HAL has decided to reverse their decisions and all ships will be getting libraries.

We got the same message on the November 3rd Oosterdam TA. The officer told use that due to the complaints, HAL was "revisiting" their decision and had ordered books. I also answered the after-cruise survey, stating that I would not be taking any cruises longer than 7 days on any ship that did not have a library. For what that was worth . . .

YAY - the libraries are one of the special things about HAL. If they took the library out of the P'dam it would be a crime. Two rooms and the second room is so relaxing and beautiful IMO.

We're perfectly happy with our e readers. We prefer downloading the reading material we prefer prior to boarding rather than rely upon the contents of a "library".
E-readers are fine with me ... as long as it doesn't quit working as mine did just before a 6-day stretch at sea on a T-A. The tech on board couldn't or wouldn't help.

:(

Edited by catl331

E-readers are fine with me ... as long as it doesn't quit working as mine did just before a 6-day stretch at sea on a T-A. The tech on board couldn't or wouldn't help.

:(

That reminds me of the day my Kindle quit working the day before a 14-night-cruise ( and it was a transatlantic :eek: as well )- I was in luck though, as it was before boarding and so I was able to buy a dozen books in the bookstore in Southampton!

Nowadays we carry three (!) e-book-readers with us to be on the safe side and still rely on the library if there is one. We especially love the ships that offer a sizable library plus a librarian to check out books like on Prinsendam or Cunard's Queen Elizabeth. In quite a lot of other ships' libraries they were quite depleted if nobody checked if the books really came back!

When on our recent Koningsdam cruise my husband's e-book reader had a software problem we were happy to be able to fall back on the donations kind cruisers had put on the free-to-take shelf. It's a wonderful addition and since then I'll be sure to bring one or two books of my own to help out others!

So I'll be happy if there really will be a library on Koningsdam - but it will have to be small because of the lack of space - that area in the Crow's Nest is already quite crowded in my opinion.

That reminds me of the day my Kindle quit working the day before a 14-night-cruise ( and it was a transatlantic :eek: as well )- I was in luck though, as it was before boarding and so I was able to buy a dozen books in the bookstore in Southampton!

Nowadays we carry three (!) e-book-readers with us to be on the safe side and still rely on the library if there is one. We especially love the ships that offer a sizable library plus a librarian to check out books like on Prinsendam or Cunard's Queen Elizabeth. In quite a lot of other ships' libraries they were quite depleted if nobody checked if the books really came back!

When on our recent Koningsdam cruise my husband's e-book reader had a software problem we were happy to be able to fall back on the donations kind cruisers had put on the free-to-take shelf. It's a wonderful addition and since then I'll be sure to bring one or two books of my own to help out others!

So I'll be happy if there really will be a library on Koningsdam - but it will have to be small because of the lack of space - that area in the Crow's Nest is already quite crowded in my opinion.

Every time we walked by The Blend on the Kdam, it was always empty. So, we always commented that maybe HAL could turn that tiny space into a library - at least until they had a chance to figure out a bigger place for an adequate sized one.

We are just off 66 days on the Maasdam. On the first day of our last leg (14 days) they pulled out the librarian. I talked to the CD and he said that he had his remaining staff (only 3 people) trying to return books to the shelves. By the 3rd day the library was virtually useless because books were not being put back into the proper places. Wondering what we will find out when we board the Rotterdam in Feb 2017?

We really liked the internet /library area on N.A. during our Alaska cruise earlier this year, particularly the magazines available to read whilst enjoying a coffee from the coffee shop. We had hoped the same area would be on the sister ship Eurodam for the New Year sailing in the Caribbean. Can anyone confirm if its still there.

Every time we walked by The Blend on the Kdam, it was always empty. So, we always commented that maybe HAL could turn that tiny space into a library - at least until they had a chance to figure out a bigger place for an adequate sized one.

Blend has specific opening times - it was often full during those on our trip last week.

The thing is, with an e-reader, it doesn't work well in a hot and humid climate, when you want to lie on a lounger on a deck to read. Been there, tried that.:(

It's called a Kindle paper white. Taken on many Caribbean cruises. No problems.

Does anyone know if the Volendam still has a library or will still have? I'm booked on a 30-day cruise next spring with quite a number of sea days. Without a library I'll have to bring an entire suitcase of books to last me enough time. And yes I have a tablet but simply do not like reading on one.

Does anyone know if the Volendam still has a library or will still have? I'm booked on a 30-day cruise next spring with quite a number of sea days. Without a library I'll have to bring an entire suitcase of books to last me enough time. And yes I have a tablet but simply do not like reading on one.

I can't speak for the Volendam but on the Westerdam in October, the library still existed but there was no librarian. I've read on another thread that the librarian position is being eliminated. One signed books out on a piece of paper. When books were returned, they were stacked until another entertainment staff member could reshelve them. There was no order to the books. I think they might have been put in the correct section but they were not in any order beyond that; they were simply shoved in an empty spot. Elimination of the librarian position is a very disappointing cutback, IMO.

Here's a tip that I got from this thread:

Go to

https://www.overdrive.com

And see if your library is listed. If it is, you can usually check out 9 or 10 books to read on your e reader, tablet, phone, or other mobile device. I use Overdrive to check out books and use the Amazon Kindle app on my phone for reading.

You can put your phone in airplane mode on the ship and still read. In airplane mode my phone lasts at least 5 days between charges.

Overdrive has saved me hundreds of dollars since I started using it. And, it's given me an extra reason to feel good about our tax dollars, since Broward county libraries pay for the books in Overdrive.

Our local library only allows ebooks to be checked out for 2 weeks so when we are doing our 66 day on the Maasdam this fall it won't work. Plus, my DW really enjoys holding that book in her hand. Amazon had the Kindle for $20 off the normal price this week but DW does not want one.

It's not your local library that's responsible. All library e-books are done through Overdrive and they have a three week max for most ebooks and a two week max for in-demand ebooks.

But you can keep reading them far longer than the maximum period as long as you don't connect to wi-fi. That may be hard to do for those who read on an i-pad, computer or phone, but on my Kindle I only connect to wi-fi when I want to download new books.

We are just off 66 days on the Maasdam. On the first day of our last leg (14 days) they pulled out the librarian. I talked to the CD and he said that he had his remaining staff (only 3 people) trying to return books to the shelves. By the 3rd day the library was virtually useless because books were not being put back into the proper places. Wondering what we will find out when we board the Rotterdam in Feb 2017?

Maybe our CC group could agree on a mini book exchange. It worked well on a Celebrity cruise last year when we met as a book lovers group a couple of times in the library, which was well maintained. These favourite books made the rounds and then were left on the shelves.

Ruth

I have both a Kindle, and a Tablet with book apps, to read on my veranda.... but I love a ships library where I can see and read real books.

I love the reclined leather chairs, and having a big tome showing great big color prints, maps, art works, etc.

Again, with the Kdam being lax in having and stocking a proper library experience for its pax is a dire outlook for future HAL ship designs.

With poor library, and promenade design, HAL seem to be in a limbo with not reaching the younger market, and alienating the older one.

I hope HAL gets the younger market with the Kdam design as they are sure not pleasing many of the older generation.