18% tips and 21% spanish VAT for a coke?

Stefan_Cruise

steamboats -- you still haven't answered the question whether stopping at Gibraltar qualifies as a non-EU-port for VAT. That was the crux of the original post you addressed.

I'm not an expert on this, but the research I did seems to show that Gibraltar is indeed a "get-out-of-tax-free" card. Travel Weekly says:

If the cruise visits a non-EU destination, such as
Gibraltar
or Tangier, the tax no longer applies.

and the P&O website FAQ includes Gibraltar along with Saint Peter Port in its discussion of avoiding VAT:

If your cruise takes in another port (such as St Peter Port or Gibraltar) then duty free items will be available and UK VAT will not be applied.

Gibraltar is tax free for the purposes of on board purchases - definitely!

The last two summers we have done the Eclipse's annual med cruise - all EU ports except Gibraltar - the whole cruise is VAT free (not sure what happens whilst in port in Spain we were off the ship touring).

Having just been on the Reflection in April, stopping at several EU ports, I can tell you that, without a doubt, the VAT on products onboard the ship was only in Spanish waters/port. Yes, it was while we were in Spanish waters also....which meant when we were sailing from Malaga to Barcelona the VAT applied. The other ports in France and Italy did not add a VAT.

Was this the Transatlantic re-positioning Cruise?

If so it started in Miami, Outside the EU - so you had a non EU Port on your itinerary, hence no VAT whilst in France and Italy.

I'll be on the Equinox in Septermber visiting Spain and Portugal but with a stop at Gibralter. Will any VAT be collected?

No Gibraltar is British owned the ships stop there so that no tax is collected,

Janice

I am on a RCCL cruise round trip from Barcelona - but we stop in Montenegro which from what I can find is not an EU member. So does that mean no VAT for us? Or only when I'm Spanish waters?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Montenegro is not in the EU, so yes your cruise should be VAT free. You may have to pay Tax whilst in Barcelona though.

If you board in Barcelona, even though your ship will stop at non-EU ports, you will still be charged the VAT whilst in Spanish Waters. This means that any drinks bought at a bar will attract the extra tax. Some cruise lines are more innovative than others; We cruised Princess out of Barcleona and bought a drinks package (non-alcoholic), for which we were given a written receipt and the actual charge was not passed across the system until out of Spanish waters and hence did not attract the extra VAT :). We were charged the extra for the alcoholic drinks until we left Spanish waters, sinc ethey were passed straight across the till.

Similarly for cruises out of Southampton; if you stop at non-EU ports such as Guernsey, you can buy duty free goods on board, whereas if you sail to only EU ports, there is no duty free on board. I am not sure how this affects cruisers from outside the EU, such as on cruises around the British Isles.

If you board in Barcelona, even though your ship will stop at non-EU ports, you will still be charged the VAT whilst in Spanish Waters. This means that any drinks bought at a bar will attract the extra tax. Some cruise lines are more innovative than others; We cruised Princess out of Barcleona and bought a drinks package (non-alcoholic), for which we were given a written receipt and the actual charge was not passed across the system until out of Spanish waters and hence did not attract the extra VAT :). We were charged the extra for the alcoholic drinks until we left Spanish waters, sinc ethey were passed straight across the till.

Similarly for cruises out of Southampton; if you stop at non-EU ports such as Guernsey, you can buy duty free goods on board, whereas if you sail to only EU ports, there is no duty free on board. I am not sure how this affects cruisers from outside the EU, such as on cruises around the British Isles.

So, this means, if i got a beverage package for free (because of go best) and I don't have to pay extra (celebrity offers it as free drinks). If there is extra VAT or not. If I buy the package on board or with my booking - I have to pay extra VAT in certain countries.

Edited by Stefan_Cruise

So, this means, if i got a beverage package for free (because of go best) and I don't have to pay extra (celebrity offers it as free drinks). If there is extra VAT or not. If I buy the package on board or with my booking - I have to pay extra VAT in certain countries.

The VAT is applied at the time of a purchase. If you buy a beverage package before sailing, no VAT (assuming you don't live in the EU -- I don't know what happens if you do). If you buy a beverage package while the ship is moored in Barcelona -- you do pay the VAT (unless they are "creative" as reported above). If you buy a beverage package once the ship has left Spanish waters -- and the cruise calls on at least one non-EU port -- no VAT. Once the package is paid for, ordering a drink is not a "purchase," so no further VAT no matter where you are.

If you buy the package on board IN Spanish waters and it goes through the till at point of purchase then you'll pay VAT. If the ship waits till you're outside Spanish waters and you also visit a non EU port then no VAT will be applied. If you get the drinks package free then no VAT will be applied no matter where you visit, as 20% of ZERO(cost of package to yourself) is still ZERO. If you buy the package with your cruise, then as far as I'm aware you'll still pay no VAT as the purchase wasn't made in the EU.

Thanks! Good to know. I am not planning on a beverage package period. So I will just not get anything until we are out of Spanish waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't worry. Ask your all knowing server if you'll pay the VAT as he/she writes an order on a billing pad to be entered into the system when clear of the dreaded VAT zone. :cool:

steamboats -- you still haven't answered the question whether stopping at Gibraltar qualifies as a non-EU-port for VAT. That was the crux of the original post you addressed.

I have answered this twice. I never said that Gibraltar is counting as EU port. In fact toll and tax wise it´s a non EU port.

But anyway you have to pay the Spanish VAT in Spanish ports and within the 3 mile zone! So even on a TA from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona lets say with a stop in Funchal and Malaga you have to pay the Spanish VAT as soon as you enter the 3 mile zone near Malaga.

You don´t pay the VAT for the whole duration of the cruise when you do have a non EU port but you still pay it in the Spanish ports (it´s just Spain doing this, no problem with Italy or Greece or Portugal or France).

steamboats

I am on a RCCL cruise round trip from Barcelona - but we stop in Montenegro which from what I can find is not an EU member. So does that mean no VAT for us? Or only when I'm Spanish waters?

Exactly, in Spanish waters only!

You don´t pay VAT for the free packages (meaning you don´t pay an extra 10% when you order a drink with your package).

When you buy the package onboard in Barcelona you pay extra VAT. If your cruise hits a non EU-port you don´t pay anything extra as soon as you´ve left the 3 miles zone around Barcelona (or any other Spanish port).

steamboats

The VAT is applied at the time of a purchase. If you buy a beverage package before sailing, no VAT (assuming you don't live in the EU -- I don't know what happens if you do).

Unfortunately no, if you buy the package online prior to the cruise you pay the VAT. At least that´s the case with RCI´s Harmony of the Seas cruises out of Barcelona. And it doesn´t matter where you are living.

Actually I bought a restaurant package (80USD). As my CruisePlanner showed a bit more than 80 Euro I´ve asked fellow guests from the US what their CruisePlanner is showing and it was 88 USD (which converted fitted my 80 Euro).

All beverage packages have 18% Service Charge plus 10% VAT added online. Internet packages have 21% VAT added online.

So regarding the Spanish VAT it doesn´t matter whether you book online or onboard.

steamboats

So regarding the Spanish VAT it doesn´t matter whether you book online or onboard.

steamboats

Unless you wait until 3 miles out of Barcelona to buy the drinks or dining package, assuming the cruise visits a non-EU country?

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

Unless you wait until 3 miles out of Barcelona to buy the drinks or dining package, assuming the cruise visits a non-EU country?

Stuart

I was referring to cruises out of Barcelona with no non-EU port. I didn´t have a cruise recently out of Barcelona with a non-EU port so I can´t say for sure. Might be that you don´t have to pay the Spanish VAT when booking online and you shouldn´t have to pay it as soon as you´ve left Barcelona´s 3 miles zone.

At least for cruises out of Florida they don´t add the State Tax online - only for purchases onboard in port or within the 3 miles.

steamboats

I was referring to cruises out of Barcelona with no non-EU port. I didn´t have a cruise recently out of Barcelona with a non-EU port so I can´t say for sure. Might be that you don´t have to pay the Spanish VAT when booking online and you shouldn´t have to pay it as soon as you´ve left Barcelona´s 3 miles zone.

At least for cruises out of Florida they don´t add the State Tax online - only for purchases onboard in port or within the 3 miles.

steamboats

Last year we cruised on the Equinox from Rome to Barcelona visiting only Euro ports. We were charged the VAT for the photo package. I bought the package a couple of days before we visited the first Spaniard port. We were told that the same thing applied to any purchase on the ship. I ended up doing most of my shopping at "El Corte Ingles" in Barcelona. They offer a "tourist card" that gives you back 10% of your purchases on a gift card, to be used on the store. Plus, at the end you take all your receipts and they will give you the paperwork to get the VAT return at the airport.

The ladies at El Corte Ingles are great and know how to work the system. I bought a couple of Carolina Herrera's bags and they charged for one and used the 10% of the first one as a discount for the second and so on. Same thing with Tous.

Still, missed doing some shopping on the ship. I think this was the cruise where I spent the least in many years. My husband was really happy... but not for a long time. I had a great time shopping in Barcelona.

I'm sharing a link to info about the Tourist Card @ El Corte Ingles. I don't know if the sales-persons spent too much time offering this to non-spanish speaking tourists.

http://www.travelsignposts.com/Spain/shopping/el-corte-ingles-tourist-service

Ate at Bistro on embarkation day while the Summit was docked in Bayonne,NJ. They added NJ sales tax 7% until a ship is in international waters, you could be charged a tax. If you make a large purchase like a beverage plan, it may be smart to wait until the ship is at sea. The VAT tax in EU countries is high. Each country has specific requirements and forms to fill out. When flying out of an EU airport, you can get your refund processed at the airport. It takes time. Allow extra time to file for a refund.

We are sailing on Equinox on 15 Oct 2016, from Barcelona to Barcelona. All ports are EU countries. Will VAT be charged when we are in international waters?

You will be charged the Spanish VAT all over the cruise. There are no "international waters" on this itinerary regarding the VAT as you don´t leave the EU toll union.

steamboats

Just to clarify...if your cruise includes the "best" perk package which includes a premium bev package, NOT one separately purchased, and you paid for it prior to final payment date, that should NOT include any VAT tax..correct?

The VAT is applied at the time of a purchase. If you buy a beverage package before sailing, no VAT (assuming you don't live in the EU -- I don't know what happens if you do). If you buy a beverage package while the ship is moored in Barcelona -- you do pay the VAT (unless they are "creative" as reported above). If you buy a beverage package once the ship has left Spanish waters -- and the cruise calls on at least one non-EU port -- no VAT. Once the package is paid for, ordering a drink is not a "purchase," so no further VAT no matter where you are.

This whole thing seems as confusing as hell and even the different cruise companies are giving out different answers.

I booked my cruise on Carnival on a Barcelona and all EU cruise. Before booking, I asked for sample prices for drinks, which it was explained I had to add 15% gratuities to each purchase. I asked if that was it and was told it was.

Now I learnt about this Spanish VAT thing only 3 days ago and I can definitely say I would not have booked had I known. The sale was through deceit as far as I'm concerned.

So, after someone suggested, if you prebook the drinks package, you dont make a purchase on board (exactly like the food you are served) and therefore avoid the tax. I didnt really want to do this, but went ahead after ringing Carnival to be 100% sure thats the case.

Having done that, someone has been told by Carnival that each drink you are served, they will keep a running tab of the amount it "would" have cost and then present you with a bill at the end of the cruise.

Oh - and the VAT seems also to be jumping from 10% to 21% for drinks purchased.

How the hell can anyone trust these people when they cant give straight answers? Potentially, this could add another $30 to $40 per person per day if you are a bit of a piggy and lets be fair, people buy the packages so their are no surprises.

Well I am surprised. Each forum seems rife with these VAT unknowns (and I am referring to the scenario of EU only and pre-buying) that I cant help thinking this is one big act of deception or plain stupidness on the part of the cruise companies.

We know they must obey laws - but how about a little honesty?

I am now faced (having made a purchase I didn't actually want to make but pushed into a corner) with what I thought was an AI package (and non refundable) and think it smacks of dishonesty.

Anyway - I've replied to your post as you have suggested along the lines I was told - but curious why you say "non EU" would be exempt if they've prepaid? (I am from the UK)

And if they are charging for drinks you have already paid for in advance - will they also be taxing us at 21% for the food weve eaten? If not, why not? Whats the difference?

I could have booked a 6* all inclusive cruise for the price this could end up costing the way its panning out!!!

Edited by les37b

I have sailed in the Adriatic from Venice to Rome and don't recall anything about a Vat tax. We did go to Montenegro and Croatia and Malta, so perhaps our cruise was exempt????

In 2010, We left Barcelona on the Century. If anyone recalls, that cruise lasted one day. We did order wine the two nights on the ship, but I think I would remember if there was an added Vat. Perhaps this is a recent addition?

At any rate, I would be very careful not to book a cruise on which I had to pay a Vat. (Or I just wouldn't spend any extra $$ on the cruise!!)

I have sailed in the Adriatic from Venice to Rome and don't recall anything about a Vat tax. We did go to Montenegro and Croatia and Malta' date=' so perhaps our cruise was exempt????

In 2010, We left Barcelona on the Century. If anyone recalls, that cruise lasted one day. We did order wine the two nights on the ship, but I think I would remember if there was an added Vat. Perhaps this is a recent addition?

At any rate, I would be very careful not to book a cruise on which I had to pay a Vat. (Or I just wouldn't spend any extra $$ on the cruise!!)[/quote']

Montenegro did ensure you wouldn't pay the VAT ;).