Whats your favorite sail away port?

I have to say that Stockholm, Sweden was my favorite. Sailing through the hundreds of archipelago patch work small islands. Many just have a single small home. The water is almost midnight blue in color.

Second was sailing out of Venice

I'm taking a slightly different view of this question.

As a New Yorker, there's just nothing better than sailing out of Bayonne for me and my family.

It may not be the most beautiful place to sail out of but the combination of no flying, driving there in less than 90 minutes, parking is a breeze and easily being on board by 11am to start my vacation is just too good to pass up.

My last 3 cruises have been out of Bayonne and my upcoming Anthem cruise is also out of there and I couldn't be happier.

Of course I only choose to cruise in the late spring or summer months so weather doesn't affect me personally.

With all that being said, I'm sure there are some absolutely gorgeous places to cruise out of and maybe when I'm retired, I'll get a little more adventurous.

So many great choices. Will sail from Venice in September and have added Stockholm to my list.

I do love leaving from San Juan at night and sailing past El Morro at the the entrance to the harbor. I am out on deck to watch that no matter what else is happening.

Fort Lauderdale is fun because you can wave to those on shore. (Always wished I could have done one of the sailaways where you threw a streamer to someone on the dock. I think I watched An Affair to Remember one too many times.) Last February when I was in 7708 on the Indy, my daughter was able to find me on the WebCam so I got to wave good-bye to her as well.

Love sailing from both Seattle and Vancouver because they are so gosh darn pretty. Sailing away from San Francisco under the Golden Gate was fun too as was sailing from Bayonne and holding my breath as we went under the bridge.

I have never sailed from Sydney but we were once there for a couple of weeks and I spent those on the harbor on every water taxi I could take from Circular Quay.

Least favorite, Galveston. At least you know you are leaving the yucky colored water and headed for a beautiful blue ocean.

Edited by vickiw0318

Impossible to pick one. The act of sailing away alone is remarkable and so freeing. I'd have to say the most OMG I can't believe I'm here and seeing this is Venice. Stockholm going in and back out is just plain charming with all the tiny islands that make you want one for your own. Oslo with its fjord is another, and back when ships sailed from the Hudson side of Manhattan, past all the old piers, into the harbor with the Statue of Liberty and then under the Verrazano Bridge, was an experience that's gone, forever I guess. It would be different sailing out of Bayonne. Maybe Brooklyn would be similar. For watching sailaways, standing in Ft Lauderdale watching those bigger than life ships sail by one after the other is downright boggling!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jagsfan

I have to say that Stockholm, Sweden was my favorite. Sailing through the hundreds of archipelago patch work small islands. Many just have a single small home. The water is almost midnight blue in color.

Second was sailing out of Venice

Too hard to pick a favorite!:D Stockholm was interesting, Venice was beautiful, Sydney was amazing, love seeing the NYC skyline at Bayonne, Miami is great, and I love San Juan at night! I wish we had been able to sail out of New Orleans.

It's probably easier to decide what my least favorite port is and that prize would have to go to Galveston!:)

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Bob--I agree that SJU is beautiful. [day and night] We sailed out of there at night last week and the forts were all lit and beautiful.

But, We visited the Faroe Islands in 2014. It was the most beautiful sail-in and sail-away.

The many tiny islands and fjords are the greenest color we have ever seen. Many are not uninhabited; others have little villages. Lots of waterfalls cascade down the steep hillsides. . . . and you need to slowly navigate through all of the islands. I felt like I was sailing into a fairy tale setting. [looking for the gnome]

37.jpg.a0b3fe7aa9e81ba2609fe48fbe9daadb.jpg

41.jpg.aef2bb79643121085371127dd376d402.jpg

So far it's Venice. But the other most amazing port we sailed INTO was Santorini. To see it come into view in the predawn and then to be sailing into the caldera - it was magical.

So far it's Venice. But the other most amazing port we sailed INTO was Santorini. To see it come into view in the predawn and then to be sailing into the caldera - it was magical.

I remember that feeling too. sailing into the caldera. I kept looking out the side for bubbles and thinking I hope no eruption today. Ha! it was magical.

New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans.. There were times I didn't want to get on the ship. Hope Royal decides to go back there soon.

I agree that New Orleans is beautiful. It is probably the longest, too. I love that long lazy cruise down the Mississippi. . . . and it is dark when you reach the Gulf. The oil rigs are a sight at night! We did a B2B last year this time. So, we got to do it twice. :)

But, I have to say the best sail away is always the one which I am on. [because every cruise is great]

I haven't cruised from TOO many ports....New Orleans 4 times, San Juan 3 times, Fort Lauderdale twice, Mobile twice, Miami once, and LA once. Even though it's a pretty long flight to San Juan I'd have to put it as my favorite. New Orleans a strong second choice with believe it or not, Mobile as number three.

Sadly (kind of), we are almost always seated at the dinner table in the MDR durine saIL away. We always enjoy meeting our table mates and wait staff on the first night. Some day we will break with tradition?? Maybe?

Manhattan. Sailing down the Hudson past the city and Statue of Liberty has to be experienced at least once, particularly at twilight. I like the convenience of Cape Liberty, but the sail away just can't match Manhattan.

San Juan at night is also good.

Manhattan. Sailing down the Hudson past the city and Statue of Liberty has to be experienced at least once, particularly at twilight. I like the convenience of Cape Liberty, but the sail away just can't match Manhattan.

San Juan at night is also good.

Totally agree on NYC, love seeing the skyline, World trade center and Statue of Liberty, wish RCCL left from there, since its also my favorite non-cruise vacation I get 2 great vacations with one airfare, my problem is I do not like the cruise lines currently sailing from there.

#1 Venice

#2 Venice

#3 Venice

I'm only making an assumption (so obviously I'm likely wrong!!:eek:) but I'm thinking those who have not sailed into or out of Venice are the ones who have not chosen this as the #1 sailaway :)

honorable mentions:

Malta, Sydney, Istanbul, Kotor

-- edit: Oh?... are we talking about embarkation sailaway? Or sailaway/sail-in at any port during a cruise? Apologize if I misunderstood. Istanbul & Sydney still count, and my top 3 choices still stand! :)

Edited by Hoopster95

I remember that feeling too. sailing into the caldera. I kept looking out the side for bubbles and thinking I hope no eruption today. Ha! it was magical.

Same thoughts!

I like Ft. Lauderdale, many people gather at the end of the beach to see the ships pass by, while others wave their hands from the apartment buildings along the canal.

#1 Venice

#2 Venice

#3 Venice

I'm only making an assumption (so obviously I'm likely wrong!!:eek:) but I'm thinking those who have not sailed into or out of Venice are the ones who have not chosen this as the #1 sailaway :)

honorable mentions:

Malta, Sydney, Istanbul, Kotor

-- edit: Oh?... are we talking about embarkation sailaway? Or sailaway/sail-in at any port during a cruise? Apologize if I misunderstood. Istanbul & Sydney still count, and my top 3 choices still stand! :)

Ooooh. Malta. That one is also amazing.