The Edge Class

ImpulsivePuppy

We were on the Solstice last week and attended Captains Kafetzis talk about the construction of the Solstice.

Somebody in the audience asked about the new Edge class and he responded with only ship delivery time. No mention of any new info from him even when pushed.

I did talk to the lady in Future Cruises as to why no new info and she said it was her thought that X was waiting for "Virgin Cruises" info to be released first. Seems like X has big concerns about the new Virgin ships 110,000 ton 2860 passenger vessel. These Virgin ships are almost identical in size and passenger volume as the EDGE class.

It's going to interesting to say the least.

They may need to wait a while longer given the first Virgin Cruise ship isn't launched for 2 years after the first edge class ship. However Virgin have been pretty forward thinking in their other ventures so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But what I believe they've done on Harmony is have the three levels all with the same menu - Two floors freedom and one floor fixed time.

Each floor of the MDR has a different name and decorative theme American Icon, The Grande and Silk - the same as on Anthem. Makes me think they were planning on copying Anthem and abandoned (or postponed) the idea late in the day.

The original plan was to have dynamic dining on all the Oasis class ships. When Oasis and Allure were in dry dock they did the same thing with the dining rooms as the Harmony. However a later decision cancelled plans to have dynamic dining spread to any other class of ships and the Oasis class continued to have the traditional/my time dining, but with the different restaurants décor/names.

I remember reading many years ago that future cruise ships would be built with catamaran style hulls... Now if Celebrity were to be the first cruise line to do so they would be on the cutting "Edge". Could this be why there is such a hush hush over the new ship?

Actually Regent did it some time ago.

What they did on Anthem was to add the option of Dynamic Classic, which is similar to traditional dining, with early and late seating. Those with Classic rotate, on a schedule, between the 4 restaurants. Their wait staff and table mates also rotate and they keep the same table number as well.

Why not everyone sit in the same place at the same time with the same wait staff and just change the menu???? Not very exciting but it might actually work!!

Why not everyone sit in the same place at the same time with the same wait staff and just change the menu???? Not very exciting but it might actually work!!

Then you miss the experience of feeling as though you are dining in a different restaurant each evening with a themed menu that matches the decor and ambience.

We tried the fully flexible dynamic dining on Anthem last year and loved the experience. Much preferred the four separate main dining rooms rather than one large noises main dining rooms. We could choose to eat when and where we liked.

Hope they continue with BLU so we can avoid all the creative musical chairs!

MDR dining on Oasis was barely passable.....we opted for specialty venues as much as we could get res for,,

Because the whole purpose of it is to go to a different menu and type of cuisine. One night you might have Italian, another Seafood, another American, etc. Just examples.

I'm not sure if it could work as the restaurants are spread over two floors with separate galleys (I'm not sure if there are 4 galleys or 2 one on each floor). But if you are in one of the restaurants on deck 3 (eg. American Icon or Silk) and today's menu is from Grande (on deck 4), I assume the waiter would have to run up the stairs to get your food and then run back down to serve it to you.

Plus you would miss out on the different décor.

I'm not sure if it could work as the restaurants are spread over two floors with separate galleys (I'm not sure if there are 4 galleys or 2 one on each floor). But if you are in one of the restaurants on deck 3 (eg. American Icon or Silk) and today's menu is from Grande (on deck 4), I assume the waiter would have to run up the stairs to get your food and then run back down to serve it to you.

Plus you would miss out on the different décor.

Of course it would not work. I think the poster was being a little mischievous.

After sailing on Anthem, I don't see the benefit of Dynamic dining over traditional and select. We actually didn't like DD.

We thought that the venues on the Anthem were fine and the DD concept had some merit, however, the food was pretty mediocre. Put Celebrity cuisine on the Anthem, and I would be all over the Q class! Jamie's was excellent!

Enjoy,

Kel

No news of X´s new ships- so far! Maybe they should completly merge with RCI- just put the trademark " of the Seas" next to every X- ships name and you have it all in one strike- the proukt is more or less the same on both lines nowadays.

In other words- X- ships are differ only from those RCI´ships because of the lack of a all the gadgets RCI installed on boad their ships! Otherwise- all the same!

" No more "X is a step above- refinded- experience to that of RCI"!

We thought that the venues on the Anthem were fine and the DD concept had some merit, however, the food was pretty mediocre. Put Celebrity cuisine on the Anthem, and I would be all over the Q class! Jamie's was excellent!

Enjoy,

Kel

DD concept in theory was good, but not in reality.

We liked Jamie's food, but not the service. Wonderland was the best in food and service. Celebrity should have something like Wonderland.

No news of X´s new ships- so far! Maybe they should completly merge with RCI- just put the trademark " of the Seas" next to every X- ships name and you have it all in one strike- the proukt is more or less the same on both lines nowadays.

In other words- X- ships are differ only from those RCI´ships because of the lack of a all the gadgets RCI installed on boad their ships! Otherwise- all the same!

" No more "X is a step above- refinded- experience to that of RCI"!

I don't think RC and X are the same at all - very different in all areas, but cabins. Q class has better cabins than S class

DD concept in theory was good, but not in reality.

We liked Jamie's food, but not the service. Wonderland was the best in food and service. Celebrity should have something like Wonderland.

Isn't Qsine similar to Wonderland?

Isn't Qsine similar to Wonderland?

I think they are similar in concept only, but we thought the taste and creativity was better in Wonderland, along with overall ambiance of the restaurant. Our group agreed that dining in Wonderland was very pleasant and memorable experience. There was not another dinner in any of the specialty restaurants on Celebrity left such an impression on us.

I think they are similar in concept only, but we thought the taste and creativity was better in Wonderland, along with overall ambiance of the restaurant. Our group agreed that dining in Wonderland was very pleasant and memorable experience. There was not another dinner in any of the specialty restaurants on Celebrity left such an impression on us.

We didn't dine in Wonderland, as it wasn't vegetarian friendly, however we took a look at it and spoke to many onboard that loved the experience. Qsine was a great idea but it's becoming somewhat stale now. It needs a revamp. You cannot launch a new project and leave it unchanged for over 4 years.

We didn't dine in Wonderland, as it wasn't vegetarian friendly, however we took a look at it and spoke to many onboard that loved the experience. Qsine was a great idea but it's becoming somewhat stale now. It needs a revamp. You cannot launch a new project and leave it unchanged for over 4 years.

We also didn't dine in Wonderland. The menu was't for us. No choices for people who enjoy more simple food. Much to exotic IMO. We do enjoy qsine. We dine in Qsine abt 6 times a year and enjoy more each time

Edited by Cruise a holic

I do not recall waterslides on Rcl. The new ship the harmony has one however.

Radiance class has them (small ones), and some others have smaller ones at the kiddy pools, Harmony has the new big one...

I think the point was to say Celebrity has a more laid back atmosphere rather than attracting families - and isn´t that why we prefer it?!

I don't think RC and X are the same at all - very different in all areas, but cabins. Q class has better cabins than S class

It really does depend what rooms you are looking at....and what your priorities are.