The Edge Class

ImpulsivePuppy

I'm onboard Reflection and was told that they are planning to have 22 restaurants on each ship :eek:

Not doubting what you were told but unless my count is wrong there are 13 restaurants on Reflection. Can't really see 22 on a smaller ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea when the first Edge ship will be sailing? Also any update on the planned Itinery? We enjoy booking cruises well in advance of the sailing date. Would enjoy sailing on the first ship to the Caribbean in the January of 2018 if it will be sailing then.

We booked the Harmony of the Seas- months ago for a March 2018 sailing.

Any idea when the first Edge ship will be sailing? Also any update on the planned Itinery? We enjoy booking cruises well in advance of the sailing date. Would enjoy sailing on the first ship to the Caribbean in the January of 2018 if it will be sailing then.

Nothing has been released, anything you hear would be purely speculation

Edited by dkjretired

So when the Staff Captain on the Silhouette told us two years ago X would be building 4 new ships he was correct. ;)

Or lucky, he would have no idea what the economy would look like in a couple of years, many thing we are going into recession. The same thing happened with S class ships and they then added a fifth ship, there could be more.

...Can't really see 22 on a smaller ship.

Speculation is they are going to follow the concept of Quantum class (or NCL) and change the one MDR into smaller (included) venues. This idea would meet the CEO´s ideas and goals about Celebrity becoming more boutique styled...

We´ll have to wait and see... ;-)

The first one is planned to be handed over around October 2018 and the following one Spring 2020,

What I have been reading (murmurs) is what I was told when sailing the Connie in May.

1. There would be no MDR - it would be many restaurants. It was the only way that one might be able to have a Michelin * at Sea (could not with the MDR).

2. Smaller than the S-Class, slightly larger (more decks) than the M-Class - maintaining the size that X-Lovers come back for and love (vs. Mega-Ships).

3. Designed in France (M-Class) vs. Germany (S-Class) - speculation that Penthouses "might" return to the back aft (just hear-say - but take into account where designed). From what I was told, where Edge was designed could be a key to PH location ;-)

All speculation, but exciting never the less!

Heather

What I have been reading (murmurs) is what I was told when sailing the Connie in May.

1. There would be no MDR - it would be many restaurants. It was the only way that one might be able to have a Michelin * at Sea (could not with the MDR).

2. Smaller than the S-Class, slightly larger (more decks) than the M-Class - maintaining the size that X-Lovers come back for and love (vs. Mega-Ships).

3. Designed in France (M-Class) vs. Germany (S-Class) - speculation that Penthouses "might" return to the back aft (just hear-say - but take into account where designed). From what I was told, where Edge was designed could be a key to PH location ;-)

All speculation, but exciting never the less!

Heather

I like the size thing, that was in the original press release as was the number of passengers. If this is maintained the ship should feel more crowded because the space to weight ration is worse than M class or S class.

Don't forget that gross tonnage of a cruise ship has nothing to do with weight, it has to do with the volume inside the ship.

Edited by dkjretired

Speculation is they are going to follow the concept of Quantum class (or NCL) and change the one MDR into smaller (included) venues. This idea would meet the CEO´s ideas and goals about Celebrity becoming more boutique styled...

We´ll have to wait and see... ;-)

After sailing on Anthem, I don't see the benefit of Dynamic dining over traditional and select. We actually didn't like DD.

I'm pretty excited about the Edge class. I agree with those who say they hope that Edge class ships add to X's fleet and the M class isn't retired with each ship added. I also agree that I hope that X releases more information soon.

Speculation is fun!

I'm pretty excited about the Edge class. I agree with those who say they hope that Edge class ships add to X's fleet and the M class isn't retired with each ship added. I also agree that I hope that X releases more information soon.

Speculation is fun!

Didn't they promise back in February-ish that info will be coming "soon"?

Indeed, they did. And I've been anxiously waiting telling myself it will be "soon." I'm hoping that with the announcement of two additional ships we'll know more information on project Edge--soon... :)

We were on the Solstice last week and attended Captains Kafetzis talk about the construction of the Solstice.

Somebody in the audience asked about the new Edge class and he responded with only ship delivery time. No mention of any new info from him even when pushed.

I did talk to the lady in Future Cruises as to why no new info and she said it was her thought that X was waiting for "Virgin Cruises" info to be released first. Seems like X has big concerns about the new Virgin ships 110,000 ton 2860 passenger vessel. These Virgin ships are almost identical in size and passenger volume as the EDGE class.

It's going to interesting to say the least.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

We were on the Solstice last week and attended Captains Kafetzis talk about the construction of the Solstice.

Somebody in the audience asked about the new Edge class and he responded with only ship delivery time. No mention of any new info from him even when pushed.

I did talk to the lady in Future Cruises as to why no new info and she said it was her thought that X was waiting for "Virgin Cruises" info to be released first. Seems like X has big concerns about the new Virgin ships 110,000 ton 2860 passenger vessel. These Virgin ships are almost identical in size and passenger volume as the EDGE class.

I'm not "up" in Virgin Cruise info at all. Do we know when their info will drop?

Oh,is the Virgin Ship from Virgin Airline Company?

After sailing on Anthem, I don't see the benefit of Dynamic dining over traditional and select. We actually didn't like DD.

It wasn't rolled out on Harmony and I believe the concept has changed on Anthem from what was originally intended

Why couldn't a small speciality restaurant (e.g. Murano) achieve one? Why would it have to be as a result of a carved up MDR?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Cruises

When comparing the figures for the Edge Class with Solstice Class - it looks like the Gross Tonnage will be very slightly less than Solstice Class - will you notice this, particularly if modern material technology is helping to reduce the weight? Edge Passenger numbers seem very slight higher than most of the Solstice Class ships.

If this Wikipedia entry is to be believed I'm not seeing much to convince me the Edge Class will be noticeably smaller than the Solstice Class

Edited by DYKWIA

It wasn't rolled out on Harmony and I believe the concept has changed on Anthem from what was originally intended

What they did on Anthem was to add the option of Dynamic Classic, which is similar to traditional dining, with early and late seating. Those with Classic rotate, on a schedule, between the 4 restaurants. Their wait staff and table mates also rotate and they keep the same table number as well.

What they did on Anthem was to add the option of Dynamic Classic, which is similar to traditional dining, with early and late seating. Those with Classic rotate, on a schedule, between the 4 restaurants. Their wait staff and table mates also rotate and they keep the same table number as well.

But what I believe they've done on Harmony is have the three levels all with the same menu - Two floors freedom and one floor fixed time.

Each floor of the MDR has a different name and decorative theme American Icon, The Grande and Silk - the same as on Anthem. Makes me think they were planning on copying Anthem and abandoned (or postponed) the idea late in the day.