The Edge Class

ImpulsivePuppy

We were on the Solstice last week and attended Captains Kafetzis talk about the construction of the Solstice.

Somebody in the audience asked about the new Edge class and he responded with only ship delivery time. No mention of any new info from him even when pushed.

I did talk to the lady in Future Cruises as to why no new info and she said it was her thought that X was waiting for "Virgin Cruises" info to be released first. Seems like X has big concerns about the new Virgin ships 110,000 ton 2860 passenger vessel. These Virgin ships are almost identical in size and passenger volume as the EDGE class.

It's going to interesting to say the least.

I can totally understand why Celebrity would be concerned about Virgin entering the market. I'm familiar with both brands and can easily imagine Virgin delivering a product that Celebrity could only ever aspire too when it comes to the new ships.

Edited by Mynki

Back to the original question posed about what these ships "might" look like.

What would make me happy? A well designed cabin. No more "above the bed" storage. Just give me a functional closet, some shelves, and adequate drawer space.

Seriously, not an unreasonable request!

Back to the original question posed about what these ships "might" look like.

What would make me happy? A well designed cabin. No more "above the bed" storage. Just give me a functional closet, some shelves, and adequate drawer space.

Seriously, not an unreasonable request!

Ok,OK,Ok I got it.

How about "under the bed storage"?

What they need to do is just to raise the bed.

Edited by iSailor

We spent some time talking with Captain, while onboard last month. He said the "Edge" project is very hush, hush. They've been instructed not to talk about it. But it will have a "wow factor". His words. Of course, we tried to coax him into telling us, but didn't make any headway. We do know that there will be a larger amount of Suites.

.... He said the "Edge" project is very hush, hush. They've been instructed not to talk about it. But it will have a "wow factor". .....

:D

Can anyone remember the last time a ship was launched without a supposed wow factor?

I'm sure they said the Cambois to Blyth ferry had a wow factor at its launch :D

Strange that very little has been released about this new class. Normally they want to issue teasers via their publicity machines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stated in an early post on this thread that their procedure in the past is to start giving info out when they have the first steel cutting which should be in the fall. This is not unusual.

Edited by dkjretired

I don't think some of these rumours quite add up

The ships (according to Wikipedia) will have Gross Tonnage slightly less than the Solstice class ships (so possibly, but not necessarily, slightly smaller) but will carry slightly more passengers.

Yet as well as this, rumours are we will see more Suites and single cabins - both probably taking more space with less passengers than a standard multi occupancy cabin. As well as this there are the rumours of more dedicated leisure space for Suite guests.

Edited by DYKWIA

I don't think some of these rumours quite add up

The ships (according to Wikipedia) will have Gross Tonnage slightly less than the Solstice class ships (so possibly, but not necessarily, slightly smaller) but will carry slightly more passengers.

Yet as well as this, rumours are we will see more Suites and single cabins - both probably taking more space with less passengers than a standard multi occupancy cabin. As well as this there are the rumours of more dedicated leisure space for Suite guests.

I suppose it depends how you look at it. The PH, CS and S2 on S class are considerably smaller than on M class ships, so if the trend continues, then the suites will be slightly smaller on the new Edge class (possibly with more amenities though). Suite guests presently have their own dining room and bar on current ships, therefore the only extra space required would be for a small pool area (if that's the way X decide to go). And who's to say the grass would be used on the new builds - a huge amount of vacant space there. The new suite amenities could obviously be incorporated to the design of a new build much more efficiently with optimal space usage than what's happened previously i.e. having to revamp the old classes of ship.

Additionally, haven't the new cabins on Royal's Quantum class been designed to be more compact, allowing for many more cabins in less square footage? Look at Reflection, same ship as the others in the S class, yet more cabins. Unsure about the single cabins as this has not been mentioned up to now - perhaps they'll go for areas where they can fit 'odd' shaped rooms to maximise every inch of deck :confused:?

In an increasingly crowded marketplace it will be interesting to see what the Celebrity's USP will be when they launch the first ship - the grass has been a useful USP.

Perhaps they will have the 'edge' with another market first :D ;).

• 8 months later...
I'm not sure if it could work as the restaurants are spread over two floors with separate galleys (I'm not sure if there are 4 galleys or 2 one on each floor). But if you are in one of the restaurants on deck 3 (eg. American Icon or Silk) and today's menu is from Grande (on deck 4), I assume the waiter would have to run up the stairs to get your food and then run back down to serve it to you.

Plus you would miss out on the different décor.

The M-class has escalators between the galley and the MDR - so no running necessary!

Email Today

As you know, the reveal of our highly-anticipated Celebrity EdgeSM is right around the corner (it's March 13, in case you missed the announcement). I can't tell you anything about it before then, but I can tell you I'm on the edge of my seat with excitement and can't wait to share everything this new ship will have to offer you. Stay tuned for more details!

Warm regards,Lee+Moreau+Signature_250x63.jpgLee

Director of Loyalty and Captain's Club

@LeeMoreau_

Isn't Qsine similar to Wonderland?

Not really. Both are whimsical but I'd say the comparison ends there. To my palate, Qsine is like an endless meal of appetizers from the Cheesecake Factory (and i like the Cheesecake Factory). Wonderland was more upscale and the food far more accomplished.

We didn't dine in Wonderland, as it wasn't vegetarian friendly....

You should have spoken with the host. We had two vegetarians in our party of 8 and they said it was their favorite meal on the cruise. They ate the same menu as us but where there were meat dishes, they got substitutions.

I'm all for eliminating the MDR in favor of a greater variety of restaurants, some free and some not. I love the Solstice Class ship but I find the MDR bustling and noisy. We have sailed S class 5 or 6 times but the MDR only once (on the second trip). Never again.

These were posted on another existing thread on Edge. Some proposed concept cabin styles. No guarantee these will look anything like the final outcome. 3fd441534a24db4fcaa3635de8891dd3.jpg

cd686ae742e263c88fe4edc4ecf3a316.jpgd3a432de339f6dc24c30575bdccb14eb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder what that will cost? LOL :p

Email Today

As you know, the reveal of our highly-anticipated Celebrity EdgeSM is right around the corner (it's March 13, in case you missed the announcement). I can't tell you anything about it before then, but I can tell you I'm on the edge of my seat with excitement and can't wait to share everything this new ship will have to offer you. Stay tuned for more details!

Warm regards,Lee+Moreau+Signature_250x63.jpgLee

Director of Loyalty and Captain's Club

@LeeMoreau_

Got one too along with 2 NEW "exciting" perks for Captain Club members.:D