Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

The MDR should be viewed as a place where people can get away from the casual and beach attire for a decent meal. No shorts AND no baseball caps!

There are many venues to dine if you don't feel like putting on something you'd wear to dinner at a restaurant (and I don't mean fast food!). The buffet usually has the same food as the MDR so go there if you don't want to change. We ate at the buffets many times when we didn't feel like wearing dinner clothes and were very happy with that. But, respect fellow passengers who DO want to dine without people wearing beach wear....which includes flip flops, by the way.

Yeap, totally agree. One of the things I enjoy about cruising the dining room experience. And yes they should enforce the dress

Why can a woman wear a skirt but a man can't wear shorts or would a man in a skirt be acceptable?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk[/quote

deleted sorry replied to wrong post

Edited by Blondie008

Hey girl, they just don't understand what formal or elegant wear is in other countries.

I.e. Guayaberas in the Carribean, Kilts in Scotland, Traje Corto in Southern Spain. But I yet to see Shorts used as formal wear. I may be wrong.

I would ask if they would wear shorts to a formal wedding but I am afraid they would say yes.

Bermuda is the only place I know where formal shorts are considered dress -

There is a time and a place for everything - and hey - we are actually NOT taking DHs kilt with us this time - Its too formal for "Evening Chic" I think. Nice suits instead - you know us - like you - glam all the way XX ;)

Hey girl, they just don't understand what formal or elegant wear is in other countries.

I.e. Guayaberas in the Carribean, Kilts in Scotland, Traje Corto in Southern Spain. But I yet to see Shorts used as formal wear. I may be wrong.

I would ask if they would wear shorts to a formal wedding but I am afraid they would say yes.

I have attended weddings and christenings where a guest has thought that jeans and a polo shirt was acceptable. Even worse for me is seeing a woman wearing a dress that just about covers her backside. I don't care how thin and beautiful you are, dress for the location and the occasion. I am not certain the stripper look is appropriate for a wedding or a christening, but that is another subject altogether.

Celebrity has rules for the dining room that they expect guests to adhere to. It is the staff who should have the gumption to enforce them. If they are OK with shorts in the MDR, then just remove the rule

We dress for dinner always. It's part of our holiday. I am not too worried about others, but if there is a rule, then follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have absolutely zero control over what other people wear. So we let attire slide by and we enjoy ourselves. Besides, once you get past attire we find that there are often some very nice and very interesting people under that attire.

Why sweat the small stuff that you cannot even control? May as well bang your head against the hull.

I saw a man turned away at the MDR on our recent Reflection cruise for wearing shorts to dinner and I almost fell over i was so surprised.

J.

On past recent cruises, a few friends have bet for drinks at the bar nearest the entrance to the MDR, whether certain "characters" will be turned away. Makes for a lot of fun. We called it "making the grade". Some pax try every trick in the book, including bribing, crying, visual blocking, and of course outright obnoxious behavior. The Matr'd has seen it all.

X should spot a security camera at the entrance and sell the video.

Personally, it's not important as long as it doesn't distract from the dining experience.

We just got off infinity, we had been dining in blu each night (some nights my DH wore shorts), one night the menu in blu didn't appeal and so we went to the main dining room and looked at the menu, they were happy for us to eat there, however my DH was in shorts and he was asked to change, needless to say we went back to blu and ate dinner there (DH in shorts:eek:)

I was on the Eclipse last month and a couple were refused entry to the MDR for wearing shorts, they returned a few minutes later dressed correctly.

It should happen more often.

All the time but people do get through, they usually don't bother people on the first night but remind them it is not acceptable on subsequent nights. Also, occasionally you see the person who did not get their luggage.

I agree with you about the first night...much looser requirements.

Shorts are perfect for the buffet...AQ spa cafe...balcony dining...sorry to hear shorts are being admitted to BLU.for dinner....too casual ...never saw them permitted before...maybe it was an exception...

I was on the Eclipse last month and a couple were refused entry to the MDR for wearing shorts, they returned a few minutes later dressed correctly.

We were on the 3 April Eclipse sailing. On the third evening of the Cruise a family of four was ahead of us entering the MDR(early traditional dining).The Assistant Maitre d stopped the adult male and the teenage boy (maybe 13 years old) and he politely told them they would need to change into long pants if they wanted to eat in the MDR. As a matter of fact on the first evening my wife and I were leaving the MDR (me in shorts like I always do on the first evening of every Cruise) and the Head Maitre d stopped me and politely advised me he and his staff would be enforcing the requirement for long pants in the evening in the MDR for the rest of the cruise. I told him absolutely that we will be dressing IAW the suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR for the remainder of the Cruise. Out of all of our Cruises that was the first time I was ever stopped and kudos to him and his staff for having the stones to enforce the published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR.

I have never understood why a full grown man or woman would be concerned with what another person is wearing? Why do you care and how did it hurt you? If a person does wear shorts should they be able to complain that you look funny? Do some people just like to complain? I do not care what anyone wears. Yes I do dress up. No, I do not care if you do. Yes I am an adult. They paid to be there. You are not forced to be there. Don't go if it bothers you.

I have never understood why a full grown man or woman would be concerned with what another person is wearing? Why do you care and how did it hurt you? If a person does wear shorts should they be able to complain that you look funny? Do some people just like to complain? I do not care what anyone wears. Yes I do dress up. No, I do not care if you do. Yes I am an adult. They paid to be there. You are not forced to be there. Don't go if it bothers you.

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji568]

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. We do not understand it either. Just get on with enjoying your cruise and don't bother concerning yourself about other people....or their bare legs.

Edited by iancal

Interesting that on a cruise ship people are so concerned if others wear shorts in the dining area, yet here in Seattle, one can dine in any of the upscale restaurants with shorts. Why is the cruise ship so different?:confused:

Interesting that on a cruise ship people are so concerned if others wear shorts in the dining area, yet here in Seattle, one can dine in any of the upscale restaurants with shorts. Why is the cruise ship so different?:confused:

I don't consider Seattle as a fashion trend setter.

When someone runs a business, they determine what is acceptable wear for their establishment. The cruise line has determined shorts aren't acceptable in the main dining room. They don't have to explain their reasoning, if you don't agree, go elsewhere.

I don't consider Seattle as a fashion trend setter.

When someone runs a business, they determine what is acceptable wear for their establishment. The cruise line has determined shorts aren't acceptable in the main dining room. They don't have to explain their reasoning, if you don't agree, go elsewhere.

I live in the Palm Beach area of Florida. Shorts are "the standard" at most restaurants year round. No one looks sloppy in higher end restaurants in shorts. They are just dressier style shorts.

A cruise ship dining room is not 5 star in ambiance, food, or service. Nor an exclusive club. Anyone that can pay the cheapest room rate is granted equal access and service. It is a reasonable question to ask "what's the big deal" without being told to "go away". I am sure you do not speak for the cruise line.

Remember, people that run businesses without listening to the customers desire eventually end up closing up shop...

I live in the Palm Beach area of Florida. Shorts are "the standard" at most restaurants year round. No one looks sloppy in higher end restaurants in shorts. They are just dressier style shorts.

A cruise ship dining room is not 5 star in ambiance, food, or service. Nor an exclusive club. Anyone that can pay the cheapest room rate is granted equal access and service. It is a reasonable question to ask "what's the big deal" without being told to "go away". I am sure you do not speak for the cruise line.

Remember, people that run businesses without listening to the customers desire eventually end up closing up shop...

I doubt very seriously that a cruise line would close up if they enforced the dress code currently in place. If somebody would change cruise lines, or stop cruising altogether if they couldn't wear shorts in the main dining room probably should reevaluate why they cruise in the first place. They've already changed it twice since we started cruising thirteen years ago so they have listened. Too bad some of the entitled cruisers couldn't bend some too.

I doubt very seriously that a cruise line would close up if they enforced the dress code currently in place. If somebody would change cruise lines, or stop cruising altogether if they couldn't wear shorts in the main dining room probably should reevaluate why they cruise in the first place. They've already changed it twice since we started cruising thirteen years ago so they have listened. Too bad some of the entitled cruisers couldn't bend some too.

I think you are missing the point. I think you are doing so on purpose. So I won't beat around the bush; what is so wrong with wearing nice shorts to dinner on vacation and why does it bother you? Of course your answer will be your opinion, but that is what I am asking for. I am genuinely curious why you feel this is a big problem.

I think you are missing the point. I think you are doing so on purpose. So I won't beat around the bush; what is so wrong with wearing nice shorts to dinner on vacation and why does it bother you? Of course your answer will be your opinion, but that is what I am asking for. I am genuinely curious why you feel this is a big problem.

You are the one missing the point. Celebrity says shorts shouldn't be worn in the main dining room at dinner. I was raised in the manner that when I'm a guest in someone's home or business, I should abide by their rules or desires or not go there. Shorts, nice or otherwise, don't meet their wishes. It's a shame they haven't got the guts to enforce it. Unless they change it, I'm going to continue to voice my "opinion" whenever the subject comes up.

You are the one missing the point. Celebrity says shorts shouldn't be worn in the main dining room at dinner. I was raised in the manner that when I'm a guest in someone's home or business, I should abide by their rules or desires or not go there. Shorts, nice or otherwise, don't meet their wishes. It's a shame they haven't got the guts to enforce it. Unless they change it, I'm going to continue to voice my "opinion" whenever the subject comes up.

So you're not actually against shorts being worn; just that it is a rule so it should be followed and not challenged? If shorts were allowed you may or may not participate, but you would also not have a problem with it because it's permissible?

I'm trying to understand if shorts really bother you, or the breaking of arbitrary rules? You haven't actually voiced an opinion at all, that's why I am asking.

Edited by LMaxwell