Harmony Of The Seas - Maiden Voyage - Live Blog

Thanks alot!! Question we have a D1 booked for next May

I have been watching the prices from D1 to JS and it's $1887. Based on your experience from Boardwalk to JS would you think it would be worth the upgrade? It looks roomy but I am not sure 1887 worth. It would be 3 in the cabin 2 adults and a 10 year old. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Look foward to your journey.. Thank you

Edited by sunrise314

Thanks alot!! Question we have a D1 booked for next May

I have been watching the prices from D1 to JS and it's $1887. Based on your experience from Boardwalk to JS would you think it would be worth the upgrade? It looks roomy but I am not sure 1887 worth. It would be 3 in the cabin 2 adults and a 10 year old. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Look foward to your journey.. Thank you

It would definitely NOT be worth it to us for pay $1800 for an upgrade from a Boardwalk balcony to a JS on a 7-day cruise.

Edited by clarea

Hi,

Great blog, thank you! We joined the ship yesterday for the 3 night trip. We haven't really experienced any major issues to be honest, maybe we have been lucky so far. There are bits obviously missing (light fittings here and there, scrapes on some of the outside deck flooring, etc) and plenty of workmen doing the finishing touches, but nothing like the "construction site" now that was claimed in the BBC website article.

As a party of 6 I thought we would struggle to sit together, but found a spot in Windjammer last night at about 6:45pm and for breakfast this morning at about 8:30am no problem. The Park Cafe in Central Park was a nice spot for mid-morning snacks too.

Each day it seems something new is being opened, as I think I have seen previously both FlowRiders and one Water Slide are up and running. I also went on the Utimate Abyss 3 times at about 10:30am (the ship is in port today) with no queue at all. I think a bit of planning ahead and avoiding the crowds might help on a big ship like this.

Most importantly for me, half of Splashaway Bay was open yesterday for my little girl to have fun in (and they were testing the other half this morning), and there are plenty of Tetley tea bags to be found at the drinks stations. :)

I think the trip so far can be summed up by this conversation I overhead in the lift:

"It's an amazing ship."

"Yes, it will be lovely when it's finished!"

"Well, you can come on holiday to moan, or you can just enjoy it."

Here are a few pics of the 1 bed aquatheatre suite in case any one is wondering what it's like.

Large walk in wardrobe, sorry about the clothes in there!

Telescope on the balcony is a nice touch too

Awesome! Which room number is this?

We just had to go to guest services to report our non flushing cabin toilet and also to query some charges for drinks this morning despite being on a drinks package.

They have refunded the incorrectly charged drinks and said the flushing problem will be investigated.

As we didn't eat much at lunch as it was cold, we grabbed something to eat at dog house which was good, however we couldn't get a drink as the fridges were locked and no one had a key to open them.

I have been trying to keep this thread relatively positive, as I know people will be looking forward to it. However my partner has been taking pictures of all the work going on around the ship of which there are over 100 so far and posted some on Twitter if you want to have a look it's @dianekh000

She's been contacted by a journalist from ITV Meridian (UK Broadcaster) who has requested to speak to her to discuss all the unfinished work.

Whilst at guest services the staff member confirmed there are around 1,000 contractors on board at the moment and the reason it as not finished was due to being built in France and not Germany.

It would definitely NOT be worth it to us for pay $1800 for an upgrade from a Boardwalk balcony to a JS on a 7-day cruise.

I have been back and forth but have stuck with the D1 cabin for us. I will just continue to see if prices will drop.

Whilst at guest services the staff member confirmed there are around 1,000 contractors on board at the moment and the reason it as not finished was due to being built in France and not Germany.

Too big to be built in Germany (Meyer, Papenburg). But Meyer has bought the STX Finland shipyard which built Oasis and Allure.

steamboats

Wansbrough shared on another thread a lot of pictures of Harmony (great pics by the way!).

You can see in one of them that they were selling the WOW Bands on a table beside GS

27261331935_d1ba92028d_k.jpgP1120825 by Cruise Wansbrough, on Flickr

Can't believe they are selling these for $5 - we got them FREE on Quantum in E2 Balcony - didn't use them - we would rather use our Seapass card -

I have been trying to keep this thread relatively positive, as I know people will be looking forward to it. However my partner has been taking pictures of all the work going on around the ship of which there are over 100 so far and posted some on Twitter if you want to have a look it's @dianekh000

Alright, I'll be honest.

Nothing in any of your partner's pictures would be disappointing to me, and would not in the slightest way ruin my cruise. Sure, it looks bad, but it'll all be fixed eventually.

I do understand that waterslides, Splashaway bay, and Starbucks not being open would be disappointing, and water issues in the cabin would be a problem.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. I guess they could've cancelled your cruise.

TO THE POSTER DIRECTLY ABOVE, please unquote that picture before your editing privileges end.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Here are a few pics of the 1 bed aquatheatre suite in case any one is wondering what it's like.

Interesting. I was in the 1 BR ATS on Allure in Feb. 2016. No walk-in closet and no telescope on the balcony. So there are some minor differences on Harmony. Very nice.

Can't believe they are selling these for $5 - we got them FREE on Quantum in E2 Balcony - didn't use them - we would rather use our Seapass card -

That's exactly why they charge for them now. Because the free ones were not being used by everyone. It was a waste. I on the other hand used the ones given to us on the Quantum. It was a great convenience. But that being said, everyone might not like them. I have no problem paying if I had too. But we will be bringing the ones from our Quantum cruise and they can be re programmed.

We just had to go to guest services to report our non flushing cabin toilet and also to query some charges for drinks this morning despite being on a drinks package.

They have refunded the incorrectly charged drinks and said the flushing problem will be investigated.

As we didn't eat much at lunch as it was cold, we grabbed something to eat at dog house which was good, however we couldn't get a drink as the fridges were locked and no one had a key to open them.

She's been contacted by a journalist from ITV Meridian (UK Broadcaster) who has requested to speak to her to discuss all the unfinished work.

i believe the oasis and allure were built in finland, not germany...

such a shame they built this one in france..

and i can't believe they're building the next one in france too...

you'd think they'd have learned their lesson from this fiasco...

I brought our wow bands from a previous cruise and got them re programmed at guest services, no problem.

Had breakfast in Solarium grill this morning. Lots of choices. Delicious home made muesli.

Plenty of places to sit at 8.30 am!

I don't know, the problem isn't the French, it's Royals decision to put passengers on to soon after taking delivery.

Thanks so much. We have a res for one of these in Feb -- it looks wonderful!

The fiasco might be due to the fact that Royal Caribbean decided to add an extra 2 cruises before the maiden voyage due to the fact that STX France delivered the ship 1 month early. Rccl should have taken the opportunity to put the finishing touches during that time.

If the shipyard had done such an horrible job they wouldn't be building the 2 new oasis ships there ...

Oasis & Allure were both built at STX Europe in Turku, Finland. Harmony was built by STX France at Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. Why they decided to go to STX France instead of the one in Finland is something that RCI has their reasons for.

Alright, I'll be honest.

Nothing in any of your partner's pictures would be disappointing to me, and would not in the slightest way ruin my cruise. Sure, it looks bad, but it'll all be fixed eventually.

I do understand that waterslides, Splashaway bay, and Starbucks not being open would be disappointing, and water issues in the cabin would be a problem.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. I guess they could've cancelled your cruise.

TO THE POSTER DIRECTLY ABOVE, please unquote that picture before your editing privileges end.

Splash away bay and the champagne bowl water slide both fully open today

Thanks so much. We have a res for one of these in Feb -- it looks wonderful!

Its an amazing room and having access to the Coastal Kitchen is a real bonus as its much more mellow up there and great views from the huge windows too.

I've been watching the rehearsals from our balcony of the aqua show, gutted that we won't see it but for those that will on the upcoming cruises, it looks great.

Seeing as Oasis 4 is at least 8 months into construction, I'm not sure any lesson learned here could have an effect on a shipyard choice and as others have pointed out, these are not shipyard issues.