New to Celebrity - comparing Veranda - Concierge - Aqua

BDL

Hi,

We’re Diamond on Royal Caribbean and will be taking our first Celebrity cruise. They’ve given us Elite status in the Captain’s Club based on our RCL status. I’ve currently got a Veranda room mid-ship booked which is our preferred location. I’m really curious about the differences between Veranda, Concierge and Aqua. It seems the rooms themselves are the same size so I am trying to compare the difference in amenities onboard. Does anyone have a list of the differences and opinions of how much more they’d be worth upgrading for?

Thanks,

Barb

If you are traveling on a M class ship, the CC and Aqua rooms are slightly larger

CC - Afternoon Canape's. Maybe a better location. Bottle of sparkling Wine.

Not much value there

Aqua - Assigned to BLU restaurant. One bottle of complimentary water. Fancy showerhead. Many like BLU, and book AQUA because of it. Me, not so much. The rest of the amenities are, in my opinion, fluff.

Both earn higher Captains Club points.

New perk for CC cabins is lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. Also a specific Concierge person and soemthing they call a Destinaiton Seminar for CC folks.

I will be able to report back in July when I have a great C1 aft cabin on the Constellation, an M class ship.

New perk for CC cabins is lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. Also a specific Concierge person and soemthing they call a Destinaiton Seminar for CC folks.

I will be able to report back in July when I have a great C1 aft cabin on the Constellation, an M class ship.

I can report: Destination Seminar - wow - can attend the general session.

Concierge - on Summit, she was a charming young lady; but I could not figure anything to ask her to do. Lunch - nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Also, there was a sailaway party on the top deck; nicely done, but again, not something I would dream of paying for.

We used the CC concierge on our last cruise. I had been sent an email with attachments from work (I know that dreaded 4 letter word that shouldn't be uttered on a cruise). With the sporadic internet I need to download these, she allowed me to forward the attachment to her to print off, I then completed the forms and she scanned them and sent them to me as an email attachment. This saved me a lot of time and effort.

She was also calling golf clubs and arranging hiring of clubs and tee off times for 2 of the passengers while I was at her desk.

Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like it's worth the difference in price from our 1A. I think we'll stay with what we have.

Barb

You didn't say what ship you're on, but if you're on an S class ship, definitely stick with your 1A. Great central location and they have larger balconies.

Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like it's worth the difference in price from our 1A. I think we'll stay with what we have.

Barb

Depending on the difference in price to upgrade to Aqua Class I would do it.

The Blu dining room is small, quiet, and great service. The menu is a bit lighter than the MDR - they don't use butter and cream, but you won't go hungry - the protein portions are large! We have done about 6 cruises in Aqua and really like it. If you are on a Millennium class ship try to get an aft cabin on 11 - larger balconies!

On Solstice class ships you also have access to the Relaxation room - facing forward on large loungers, try not to fall asleep! Have a great cruise!

Barb

Stick with the 1A, larger balcony and great location, and visit some of the speciality restaurants with the money you save from not upgrading. You can usually negotiate some good discounts when onboard ;).

You didn't say what ship you're on, but if you're on an S class ship, definitely stick with your 1A. Great central location and they have larger balconies.

Depending on the difference in price to upgrade to Aqua Class I would do it.

The Blu dining room is small, quiet, and great service. The menu is a bit lighter than the MDR - they don't use butter and cream, but you won't go hungry - the protein portions are large! We have done about 6 cruises in Aqua and really like it. If you are on a Millennium class ship try to get an aft cabin on 11 - larger balconies!

On Solstice class ships you also have access to the Relaxation room - facing forward on large loungers, try not to fall asleep! Have a great cruise!

Also the Aquaclass have free access to the Persian Gardens and on S class this is very nice with views over the sea from the hot beds, but on the M class not so good a dark dingy wee room.

Stick with the 1A, larger balcony and great location, and visit some of the speciality restaurants with the money you save from not upgrading. You can usually negotiate some good discounts when onboard ;).

We'll be on the Reflection. It's over $1000 to go to Aqua right now so we won't be doing that. It's only a couple of hundred dollars to go to Concierge but I'm thinking it's probably not worth it. We could use that money for dining or shopping on board.

Thank you to all for the responses! I really appreciate it.

Barb

On a ship, location is important. Stay put. Concierge perks aren't worth much. the sparkling wine is terrible, the towels are the same in all cabins nor ( concierge used to have thicker ones), fruit and afternoon canapes(anyone can request them), and shower gel ( request..not worth using). Unless the price is lower for concierge than standard veranda, stay put. Concierge cabins are often in bad locations. Aqua class is only good if you want to dine in Blu. Some like it. Some don't. Enjoy your cruise.

Barb

My husband loves CC for 1 reason. Footstool.

(I like the extra points :D)

My husband loves CC for 1 reason. Footstool.

(I like the extra points :D)

I used to have a couple of blow up cubes (looked like square beach balls) that I used on the balcony a few times.... I have no idea where they at the moment but I need to look for them!

We'll be on the Reflection. It's over $1000 to go to Aqua right now so we won't be doing that. It's only a couple of hundred dollars to go to Concierge but I'm thinking it's probably not worth it. We could use that money for dining or shopping on board.

Thank you to all for the responses! I really appreciate it.

Barb

I like Blu but wouldn't do it for that much money. I am very proactive and would only look for an upgrade for a reasonable price. They do come along if you want to search every week or so. Also, join the roll calls for your cruise, we got a substantial price decrease on my cruise in two weeks because someone mentioned it on the roll call.

Edited by dkjretired

I happened to call Celebrity yesterday and spoke to one of their Vacation Planners. I would like to try Tuscan Grill on my upcoming sailing in July and inquired about negotiating the price when onboard and was told "NO" the price is $45 per person for that venue and is not negotiable. I am celebrating my birthday on this cruise which they have noted and was told they will give me an extra piece of cake for dessert. Well, if I want extra cake I'll just order it off their menu. :mad:

I happened to call Celebrity yesterday and spoke to one of their Vacation Planners. I would like to try Tuscan Grill on my upcoming sailing in July and inquired about negotiating the price when onboard and was told "NO" the price is $45 per person for that venue and is not negotiable. I am celebrating my birthday on this cruise which they have noted and was told they will give me an extra piece of cake for dessert. Well, if I want extra cake I'll just order it off their menu. :mad:

They have no idea of what goes on aboard their ships :D. We have never paid full price for any of the speciality restaurants and many on CC will also tell you the same. Wait until you embark and there are usually tables by the entrance to the OV advertising the alternative restaurant deals/offers. And you can negotiate ;).

See post #1 here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49780633&highlight=specialty+restaurant+discounts#post49780633

And post #13 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49702011&highlight=specialty+restaurant+discounts#post49702011

There are many examples, do a search and you will see.

Edited by villauk

That is pure, unmitigated, CelebritySpeak BS. The shoreside people have never been on a Celebrity ship. The call center is located in Wichita, Kansas, I believe. Definitely landlocked.

The people here on these boards HAVE been on Celebrity ships, often many of them, many times. The price of the specialty restaurants is negotiable on board. They want them full.

By the way, IMO, Tuscan is definitely not worth $45/person. I've had better meals and service in the MDR than the last one I had there. YMMV.

Just have to comment on the information from a X Vacation Planner. We just left the Eclipse this morning after thirty-five days onboard. The first cruise was a TA so lots of sea days followed by a port intensive Norwegian fjords cruise followed by another leg (Iceland and Ireland) which wasn't as port intensive.

The entire time we were onboard staff was really hawking specialty dining. Not only was there a table outside the Ocean View buffet but staff were actually approaching folks in the Ensemble Lounge and other venues throughout the day offering discounts for Murano, Tuscan and Qsine. Even on that TA, with all those sea days, specialty dining was routinely offered at $25 per person. They were clearly having problems filling those restaurants.

Oh dear. What ship doesn't have them? We haven't encountered that yet and don't want to!

Reports are that it is true on many ships. We were in a C1 on Summit last week, and did have two footstools. Others on that sailing reported that they did NOT have footstools. I have read reports here on CC that folks have asked for them, and were told there were not any. YMMV