Comparison: Blu vs. Luminae

twopats

We just returned from a 12-night Baltic Sea cruise on Silhouette (our first with Celebrity), traveling with two other couples.

Breakfast in Luminae was a bit too leisurely for our taste (I know we could have asked for faster service); we found Blu a better fit for at-sea days, and used Oceanview for port days (yes, it's crowded, but you're in control of the timing).

We tried Blu once for dinner and went back to Luminae ever after (except for a few specialty nights) -- the service was nicer, and the choices better (not that Blu was bad...far from it!).

For lunch, we were mostly in port. But I liked Luminae a bit more than Blu for the days we were on board; we did go to Bistro on Five once as a change of pace, too.

We upgraded to Aqua on Infinity in 2013, then to a SS on Miliie last year.

We like both BLU and Luminae. I would give the edge to Luminae. The food on BLU was excellent, but more like what you get in the MDR than Luminae. Luminae was more individualized. We did love the BLU table Muesli, which I understand is no longer offered on some ships.

Thank you for bringing some of the discrepancies to our attention. We are looking into an update of the piece as some of the restaurant details have changed from when we first wrote it. I'll be onboard Summit in July so maybe I will be able to put in a few of those hard hours checking them out for myself :)

Cheers,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Another mistake is a reference to "junior suites" being excluded from Luminae. Celebrity does not have a category called "junior suite," and ALL suite passengers including those in Sky Suites dine in Luminae, and are welcomed in the Michael's Club lounge.

Just a FYI, Non Suite guests can dine with Suite guests in Luminae on a space available basis for $30.00 pp charged to the sea pass of the Suite Guests. They have just reduced the charge for the original $50.00. It is $30.00 pp for dinner, $20.00 pp for lunch and $10.00 pp for breakfast for non suite guests.

Lest people get the wrong idea about having only heavy choices in Luminae, you can always ask for a sauce to be omitted, ask for two starters instead of a main course, ask for a simpler preparation, request a salad, etc. The staff provides customized service with pleasure. Actually I didn't find it heavier than main dining room offerings - often it was lighter.

Our waiter brought the main dining room menu along each evening without being asked in case we wanted that option.

The entire staff, including the wine steward's service was 100% more attentive and cordial than we've ever had in the MDR.

More space, more peace & quiet, much better service and very interesting fine dining menu choices really made our first Luminae experience terrific. It's a really good reason to continue booking suites on Celebrity instead of another line.

More space, more peace & quiet, much better service and very interesting fine dining menu choices really made our first Luminae experience terrific. It's a really good reason to continue booking suites on Celebrity instead of another line.

Couldn't agree more....just hope we can continue to afford them.....today I looked at a British Isles 12 night cruise for August 2017 and found a Sky2 with the price of $6,950 per person:eek: I wonder what will the future suite prices be like...:eek:....maybe out of our reach if that one is any indication!!

Edited by Gracie115

We far prefer Blu for breakfast, the menu is lighter and more to our taste. We have tried to get Luminae to speed up service in the morning but without success.

The biggest fault of Luminae is its one type of service - over the top at times, too many interruptions etc. I woukd rate Luminae better if the staff learned the appropriate level of interaction to have with guests and how to recognise signs/ vary the offering.

I'm not a fan of the decor in Luminae, I like the more modern light look of Blu BUT decor never impacts on my dining experience.

We mix around depending on the menus.

We far prefer Blu for breakfast, the menu is lighter and more to our taste. We have tried to get Luminae to speed up service in the morning but without success.

The biggest fault of Luminae is its one type of service - over the top at times, too many interruptions etc. I woukd rate Luminae better if the staff learned the appropriate level of interaction to have with guests and how to recognise signs/ vary the offering.

I'm not a fan of the decor in Luminae, I like the more modern light look of Blu BUT decor never impacts on my dining experience.

We mix around depending on the menus.

Thank you...we feel the same. Luminae actually upsets my DH"s stomach. He just can't stand looking at that unique decor...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

This is our last night of a 12-day cruise on Connie. We dined in Luminae all but 3 nights [1 Ocean Liners, to say goodbye to this great concept, which is still fantastic; 1 Tuscan Grill, which didn't meet its previous standard and bodes poorly as the replacement for the M-class special restaurants; and the Chef's Table, which turned out to be a subset of the Ocean Liners menu with very good paired wines]. This cruise [our first suite ever] has convinced me that Celebrity Suite class is our future, and we won't waste any money on specialty restaurants, Chef's Table, or Chef's Market Shore Excursions -- because Luminae is that good! We checked the Blu menu several nights, and couldn't find anything we wanted to eat. Luminae always offered me more good choices than I could eat, and if DW didn't find what she wanted they were happy to provide the MDR menu or prepare something like a Caesar Salad.

We really, really like Blu but we LOVE Luminae! It is one of the main reasons we book a suite. We don't find Luminae staff to be stuffy or too intrusive at all. Looking forward to Luminae again in September and will likely try Blu once or twice as well. Perhaps we are too easy to please!

We were on the Reflection TA in Blu is April and then boarded Connie 2 days after we got off Reflection. We spent the next 12 days in Luminae and have to say I much prefer the service, staff interaction, and meals much more in Blu. Luminae's service was slow, there were meals that took over 2 hours and that didn't include dessert. The food was cold. Not to mention the food was too rich to my liking. If you want more than one bread you need to get it on their first offering cause they don't come back for a second time unless you ask. I had a word with the maitre'd about our meal and he apologized profusely and afterwards he would come over every meal to check if everything is good, and there were still a few times that it wasn't. Another apology in a form of chocolate strawberries in our suite. The staff were running off their feet, they were so rushed that dishes were breaking and at times I thought I was at a Greek wedding.

This is our last night of a 12-day cruise on Connie. We dined in Luminae all but 3 nights [1 Ocean Liners, to say goodbye to this great concept, which is still fantastic; 1 Tuscan Grill, which didn't meet its previous standard and bodes poorly as the replacement for the M-class special restaurants; and the Chef's Table, which turned out to be a subset of the Ocean Liners menu with very good paired wines]. This cruise [our first suite ever] has convinced me that Celebrity Suite class is our future, and we won't waste any money on specialty restaurants, Chef's Table, or Chef's Market Shore Excursions -- because Luminae is that good! We checked the Blu menu several nights, and couldn't find anything we wanted to eat. Luminae always offered me more good choices than I could eat, and if DW didn't find what she wanted they were happy to provide the MDR menu or prepare something like a Caesar Salad.

We were on the Reflection TA in Blu is April and then boarded Connie 2 days after we got off Reflection. We spent the next 12 days in Luminae and have to say I much prefer the service, staff interaction, and meals much more in Blu. Luminae's service was slow, there were meals that took over 2 hours and that didn't include dessert. The food was cold. Not to mention the food was too rich to my liking. If you want more than one bread you need to get it on their first offering cause they don't come back for a second time unless you ask. I had a word with the maitre'd about our meal and he apologized profusely and afterwards he would come over every meal to check if everything is good, and there were still a few times that it wasn't. Another apology in a form of chocolate strawberries in our suite. The staff were running off their feet, they were so rushed that dishes were breaking and at times I thought I was at a Greek wedding.

Two pretty different views from the SAME ship!!!:eek: Must say we are in complete agreement with Host Jazzbeau!! Luminae is SO MUCH better than any of the specialty restaurants, the Chef's Table, AND BLU (which we've always loved). Our next cruise on X will be in a suite too and we have no plans to eat dinner anywhere else. Tvlgoddess states there were "no desserts" in Luminae which I don't understand, there were desserts every night, a choice of 4 or 5 different ones, and on days you didn't like their offerings they would get anything else available on the ship for you.....YUM, I had their home made pistachio ice cream more than once..... We can't wait for our next X sailing and eating in Luminae again....:)

On Connie a few months ago we were given a bread basket in Luminae. It was nice to have it in case there were any delays in service. I imagine it varies by ship, but I would ask for a bread basket, if I wanted bread throughout the meal.

If one has a less than optimal experience in any dining room (or at a restaurant on land), I think it is hard sometimes to get past it. My husband was not impressed with Blu on the first cruise we were in there - had undercooked and overcooked meats or just bland meals. I was happy with it, but mainly liked the ambience. Luckily we tried it again and both of us had a very positive experience there. We've had some nice dinners in the MDR, but most times did not care for the busy, hectic pace.

We had a very positive experience in Luminae last time (meticulous service. good pace, but could be speeded up if we needed to get to a show, superb food and great presentation, quiet enough to have a conversation) and hope to continue having wonderful meals there. I hope we don't have the same issues you had.

IMG_4748_zpsqhd8b2vr.jpg

We only like Blu for a couple of nights and 1 or two breakfasts. We always somehow managed to eat in there when not crowded- Usually 6:00- 6:30 for dinner- and the couple of times we ate in there maybe around 8:30 am? This was on the Reflection and the Summit-- We found that the staff spread out the passengers as they came in so that if you were only two persons, like us, there were several tables open between us and the next party. We mainly book aqua 2 class to have quieter area at cabin-- We like to book around mid ship location-- we don't like being fussed over, so don't have need for butler service-- We like all the specialty restaurants for dinner as well, the buffet is good enough a couple of times for dinner- We use room service in the am on port days- usually have lunch off the ship on those days. We'd love to eat in Luminae maybe once for dinner and pay the charge if Celebrity would allow that- but if not, no big deal for us. I also like that we have never been in Blu seeing any kids (we are in our early 60's) and want peace and quiet when we eat- I am wondering how many children tend to be in Luminae? I mean no offense to passengers with their children at all- but at this point in our lives, we like a quiet more upscale vacation.

. Tvlgoddess states there were "no desserts" in Luminae which I don't understand, there were desserts every night, a choice of 4 or 5 different ones, and on days you didn't like their offerings they would get anything else available on the ship for you.....YUM, I had their home made pistachio ice cream more than once..... We can't wait for our next X sailing and eating in Luminae again....:)

What I am saying is the service was so slow that some meals took over 2 hours and we didn't want to stay longer and wait for dessert.

On Connie a few months ago we were given a bread basket in Luminae. It was nice to have it in case there were any delays in service. I imagine it varies by ship, but I would ask for a bread basket, if I wanted bread throughout the meal

Didn't know a bread basket can be had. There were not any tables that had a bread basket or else I would request for one. Thanks, I will know for next time unless we are sticking with Blu.

We have eaten in both Blu and in Luminae, and while Blu is good, Luminae wins hands down. The personal attention was fantastic--everyone knew us and they would all pitch in as needed to help us. Sometimes the meal could take a while, but if we needed it to go faster, it would. The atmosphere is quieter than Blu, and there is more space. It is a more relaxing meal.

Luminae's food offerings were better, as well. I really liked the creative dishes and that we could try so many different things on a menu that doesn't repeat for two weeks. Having access to the MDR's menu was nice if nothing offered that meal was what we wanted-which maybe happened one time in a week.

Breakfast is similar either place, though Blu has the Museli (but I wonder if they wouldn't get that for you in Luminae if you asked?). That said, we called the butler and had him bring breakfast to our cabin most mornings when we were in the SS on Equinox.

In all, both are good restaurants, and are quieter than the MDR (where we ate while on the Millennium), which makes for a more relaxing, enjoyable meal for me. In fact, I don't know that I'd pay for a specialty restaurant (other than QSine) if I have access to Luminae.

Edited by PostcardJar

We are booked in a suite on Silhouette in January, our first time since Luminae arrived, and we are a little worried. The menu seems so limited, and while I know we can order from the MDR menu, it seems to take away the advantage if we are eating what everyone else eats.I'm hoping that the quality of food and service will just blow us away, but some menus just don't seem to have much that appeals to us, and we don't usually consider ourselves fussy eaters.

We are booked in a suite on Silhouette in January, our first time since Luminae arrived, and we are a little worried. The menu seems so limited, ......

I had a quick glance through the menus and counted a choice of 56 appetisers and 70 entrees over a two week cruise. :eek: Doesn't seem too limiting. if you add in the fact that they will prepare pretty well whatever you want with a few hours’ notice then .... Well my DD did order the snails off the MDR menu a couple of times but teenagers can be a bit fussy :cool:

Seriously if you check the evening menu at breakfast or ask the MCC for it and can't find something to your taste then talk to the Maître d in our experience, something to suit can always be produced :)

If for example there is halibut in ginger with bok choy and rice and you would prefer a tomato based sauce green beans and new potatoes then just ask you may be pleasantly surprised ..... We were.

What I am saying is the service was so slow that some meals took over 2 hours and we didn't want to stay longer and wait for dessert.

Ok, I understand what you mean now. But we never found the service slow, in fact we purposely slowed the pace a few times or we would have been finished in less than an hour.....we like a slower pace for dinner and once they understood that we were able to enjoy leisurely dinners.....but we saw many that finished much more quickly......if you go again you might just try asking the wait team to move faster AND tell them to stop by with bread more often, we didn't have to do that but am sure if you had mentioned it they would have gladly brought more.... we just found the staff to be incredibly accommodating and happy to do whatever they could to meet your needs.

We are booked in a suite on Silhouette in January, our first time since Luminae arrived, and we are a little worried. The menu seems so limited, and while I know we can order from the MDR menu, it seems to take away the advantage if we are eating what everyone else eats.I'm hoping that the quality of food and service will just blow us away, but some menus just don't seem to have much that appeals to us, and we don't usually consider ourselves fussy eaters.

Our last four Celebrity cruises have been in Luminae. If a particular menu menu does not have enough appeal to you, make your preferences known to your waiter. We feel very confident they will make it right for you.

Previously, we had been very satisfied in Blu, but would have great difficulty returning, if Luminae was an option.

NRayH