Keeping Cool At The Ports

Squirty27

We have quite a few "frogg toggs chilly pads" or other cooling towels. We use them in the summer when we sit outside for hours watching the kids play baseball.

They are chamois like towels that you wet and then wrap around your neck to keep cool.

You can find them at Walmart in the camping section or by googling "cooling towel".

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have quite a few "frogg toggs chilly pads" or other cooling towels. We use them in the summer when we sit outside for hours watching the kids play baseball.

They are chamois like towels that you wet and then wrap around your neck to keep cool.

You can find them at Walmart in the camping section or by googling "cooling towel".

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are they something that needs to be kept in a refrig or freezer?

I'm assuming the Caribbean....there's almost ALWAYS a good breeze...you really don't need appliances to keep cool!

No..those towels...you get them damp, snap them, and they chill a bit. Golfers use them all the time. They really aren't needed unless you're doing something that really creates heat...jogging, running, hiking, etc...

I'm assuming the Caribbean....there's almost ALWAYS a good breeze...you really don't need appliances to keep cool!

No..those towels...you get them damp, snap them, and they chill a bit. Golfers use them all the time. They really aren't needed unless you're doing something that really creates heat...jogging, running, hiking, etc...

My mom is 82 and DOES NOT drink a lot of water (although she will tell you she does). Yesterday here in western NY it was 90 degrees and humidity was 85 percent. We were at a party - I drank 8 bottles of water, she drank 3/4 of a bottle. Had to get her in the air conditioning and laying down. When we went to Disney a few years ago in July - (hot and humid) she dehydrated and spent two days in the room. Just would like to find something to help her, so that she can get off and shop at a couple of the ports. :-)

Feeling cool with a cold towel or other item wrapped around her neck will do nothing to prevent dehydration and may be counter-productive. You would be far better off putting your focus on getting her to increase her water intake. A tough problem, and I wish you both the best of luck.

My mom is 82 and DOES NOT drink a lot of water (although she will tell you she does). Yesterday here in western NY it was 90 degrees and humidity was 85 percent. We were at a party - I drank 8 bottles of water, she drank 3/4 of a bottle. Had to get her in the air conditioning and laying down. When we went to Disney a few years ago in July - (hot and humid) she dehydrated and spent two days in the room. Just would like to find something to help her, so that she can get off and shop at a couple of the ports. :-)

Kudos to you for wanting to try and help her. As you are aware - getting her to drink more water is more crucial. I've used something similar to this, but would use it with caution on your mom since their skin is thinner and it might be too cold.

http://www.amazon.com/JellyBeadZ-Cooling-Scarf-Bandana-Black/dp/B004XX4X9E

Have a super cruise.

I wear a cooling towel for NFL preseason games and wind up in first aid by halftime. I drink as much water as I can, but not enough. Florida is just too hot for afternoons in August. I hope your mom realizes she can kill herself being dehydrated. I'm going to make myself hydrate this year. New Year's resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have told and told and told her about hydrating. You would think she would get the idea of how important it is especially after getting sick at Disney. Guess it's hard to tell an 82 year old what to do. Lol.

I know I dehydrated once in Las Vegas (August), only took one time, I learned my lesson. Lol

Unfortunately keeping cool is NOT enough. Hydration is essential. If she doesn't like the "taste" of plain water, look at something like Nuun tablets - definitely at a running store or online, possibly at sport stores or pharmacies (I know I've seen it at Walgreens/Duane Reade here in NYC). It's tablets that dissolve in water, and it provides some light flavor AND electrolytes.

WYou can also buy a portable fan that hangs around your neck. We bought one for when we went to Disney world and it was a life saver. They also sell some that have a water bottle attached, so you can spray yourself while you fan. That one is a bit more bulky. We bought both on Amazon but I've seen the water bottle ones at wal-mart for $10.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I have run firefighter rehab teams in central Florida for over 25 years. A few tips:

1. Check with her primary healthcare provider to see if she is physically fit for such activities , her medications is she on diuretics ( prevent fluid build up)

2. Pre hydrate the day before the excursion, it is easier to prevent dehydration than it is to treat it. Gatorade 1/2 strength is better than water.

3. What ports will you be visiting? Some ports have shops closer to the ship than others.

4. If she goes down call the local emergency service, start to cool her extremities arms, legs, neck and head.

OP Squirty27, I appreciate you are trying to keep your mom cool. Honestly, seniors don't always listen and can become more stubborn as they age (NO offense intended here to anyone - I speak from experience with my own father, and my in-laws). In addition to the suggestions already mentioned, what does your mom usually wear? If she wears pants or capris (even shorts), she may get overheated faster. I prefer a skirt in ports, for obvious airflow reasons :D . I feel it makes a difference. If she will wear a skirt, my hope is that she will feel a bit more comfortable.

We were in the Caribbean last November and I was dying from the heat despite any breeze. I drink at least eight glasses of water a day in addition to the other fluids I drink, wore sundresses and hats and still burnt up. It was worse on me than it was my 78 year old mother. For our trip this year I bought us both umbrellas to block the sun. I noticed that is what the ladies that lived there were using umbrellas. My mother's attaches to her scooter, mine I will just carry. They are made of fabrics to block UV so in addition to the cooler shade it will help protect from the sun. I am hoping it will work better since I felt like the hat trapped heat. I am so fair skinned anything in addition to sunscreen is always welcome.

Hi Squirty

If you exert yourself less you dehydrate slower. Is she using a wheelchair? Would she consider letting you push her around?

In the Caribbean ports especially you tend to expend a lot of energy just getting from the ship to wherever. My wife can't walk the length of a typical dock. She has her sunscreen on wears a brimmed hat and a drink with her. When we hit the stores, if she wants she can get up and walk around the store, but most have enough aisle space that I can push her in the store if she is not feeling well.

If you see she isn't drinking on her own, just say you would like to stop at a restaurant to have a quick bite and a drink. (non alcoholic)

this might work

have a great cruise

Puny mister fans can be found at Walmart.

The cooling towels are nice. When they get warm, a sudden shake reactivates the coolness.

Gatorade and Pedialyte for Adults (ask her dr about this) make single use crystal packets to be mixed with a bottle of water.

Not as balanced are the flavored packets like Crystal Light.

In the dark ages, before Gatorade our Dr recommended salty things--hot dogs and chips. As a child playing softball in the SoCal summer heat Sis was happy.

Edited by SadieN

Another thought, figure out when the weather is better. We sail West Coast between November and April because it's just too hot and humid other times of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Take a couple of large ziplock plastic bags and fill them with crushed ice from the ship. Put them in an insulated lunch bag with a couple of washcloths. You can then dip the washcloths in the bag with the ice and use them repeatedly to wipe her face and neck to cool her down.

The ice will last for quite a while, and the water will stay cool or cold for a few hours.

Looking for something for my mom to keep her cool while in port. I remember reading about something that people bought - to go around their neck?

Thank you.

The problem w those things is that they depend upon evaporative cooling to work. If it is hot and dry they will cool you off some. If it is hot and humid, they will accomplish nothing.

DON

We used the cooling towels in Pompeii in late June and they were GREATLY appreciated by our group of 5. The previous year in Turkey, in June, I would have paid ANY price to have one of them. I didn't know about them then. We weren't very confident about them, but everyone broke them out and activated them with some of their water...and we all broke out into a smile shortly afterwards. Two of us overheat easily and while I realize hydrating is important too, these cooling towels were the best pre-cruise purchase I made. :D

Edited by griffy116