My final on board bill was charged twice!

Just woke up this morning to find I was double billed almost 1000.00 for my cruise last week. I'm not talking a hold or pending charge. They charged my account twice the same exact amount.

Of course RC offices aren't open right now.

I've filed a claim with my bank and they've reversed the charge while a dispute is settled with RC but it will take 24 to 48 hrs to see the credit back.

This kind of crap is another reason why I use only 1 bank card for onboard billing and keep other cards separate while on a cruise.

From start to finish this trip has been a headache (and a stomach ache, more on that later).

Will be doing a review when my probable food poisoning settles down and after this billing mess is fixed.

Never again Oasis of the Seas.

Just woke up this morning to find I was double billed almost 1000.00 for my cruise last week. I'm not talking a hold or pending charge. They charged my account twice the same exact amount.

Of course RC offices aren't open right now.

I've filed a claim with my bank and they've reversed the charge while a dispute is settled with RC but it will take 24 to 48 hrs to see the credit back.

This kind of crap is another reason why I use only 1 bank card for onboard billing and keep other cards separate while on a cruise.

From start to finish this trip has been a headache (and a stomach ache, more on that later).

Will be doing a review when my probable food poisoning settles down and after this billing mess is fixed.

Never again Oasis of the Seas.

Exactly why you do not use a debit card on a cruise!

I've had very good luck with post cruise customer service: (800) 256-6649. Hope they get it fixed quick.

Thank you for that, I'm calling now.

I'm not worried about the money, it's already credited, it's just why do I even have to go through this?

I'm so sick of crappy customer service in so many areas of the service industry these days.

I worked in customer service in one capacity or another my entire adult life until retirement (and after, from my home) and before all of this automation we actually answered the phone on the first ring, were trained to do things correctly the first time and to do it politely and professionally.

I just see a deterioration of customer service in general these days.

Edited by webecruzin2
new info

Crusinfanatic, Blah blah blah, at least you got another hit on your posts.

Seems you've already made up your mind about what I'm going to say, too.

These boards are to voice opinions and to share information.

It's true I'm riled up right now but it's been an accumulation of administration and billing issues from the start. Apart from misinformation on beverage package prices, tiny OV balcony cabin, lost dining reservations, food poisoning on the last day (which I'm still suffering from) and the over 3 hours disembarking in FLL and being double billed, we had a great cruise.

The ship is beautiful. We had a fantastic wine pairing experience in 150 Central Park. Our waiter Ravi and his asst. in the MDR could not have been better. And our room steward Ricki was perfect.

DH had fun on the Flow Rider and Zip Line. Diamond lounge was nice, great cosmos and not too crowded at all on the 2 occasions we went there. DL Concierge Dudley was very sweet and helpful (he also got sick).

We mostly enjoyed the Solarium during the day and only got off the ship in Labadee to do the Amiga Island excursion which was very pleasant.

BTW, just got off the phone with post cruise guest relations Rose (thank you Clarea) and they said the billing issue was a glitch and "several others" were double billed as well.

Mistakes happen. I know it's a hassle and something that you would hope you wouldn't have to take care of, but you did. Your bank reversed the charge and all is right with the world. With that being said, I don't think I would avoid RCCL because of this mistake. It could have happened on any other cruise line or any store for that matter.

Glad you were able to get it taken care of on your end, now just breath and speak with someone in customer service about it. And take my advice, sugar goes a long way than sour...so don't jump all over the CS rep you speak with at RCCL, remember that it wasn't THEIR mistake or fault for this to happen. Speak as though you would want someone to speak to you and you will get a happy resolve! :)

Mistakes happen. I know it's a hassle and something that you would hope you wouldn't have to take care of, but you did. Your bank reversed the charge and all is right with the world. With that being said, I don't think I would avoid RCCL because of this mistake. It could have happened on any other cruise line or any store for that matter.

Glad you were able to get it taken care of on your end, now just breath and speak with someone in customer service about it. And take my advice, sugar goes a long way than sour...so don't jump all over the CS rep you speak with at RCCL, remember that it wasn't THEIR mistake or fault for this to happen. Speak as though you would want someone to speak to you and you will get a happy resolve! :)

Good advice to those that go through this type of ordeal.

As stated above my career has been in customer service.

I always treat them with the greatest respect and politeness because I've been in their shoes and taking it out on the rep is not only rude but pointless and will get you nowhere.

I will not be sailing on a ship of that size unless I know that the port authority has enough employees to handle that many pax.

Edited by webecruzin2

I always treat them with the greatest respect and politeness because I've been in their shoes and taking it out on the rep is not only rude but pointless and will get you nowhere.

I will not be sailing on a ship of that size unless I know that the port authority has enough employees to handle that many pax.

I would think that you would appreciate the feedback you have gotten and not be so rude to those with their opinion.

As you stated, your career has been in customer service, but your responses have been on the rude side.

Have a great day.

It's great that your problem has now been solved!

Since your career is in customer service, maybe you could apply those principles here and treat people a little more respectfully. Just a suggestion...:)

Judy

You put it better than I did. Well said.

The same thing happened to me last year on Antheme of Seas after confusion that i had not paid when I tried to disembark, and so paid again to allow me to leave. Then found two completed transactions (not holds!). Took weeks of calling to get the money back. I was given £100 compensation by RCCL on a future cruise. Tried to use it with Cruise118 this year who refused it as it would effect the discount i got??, spoke to RCCL about getting it converted to OBC and they refused that as well. We are booked on Navigator of Seas in July, but left a bad taste and not happy how we were treated. I have always cruised P&O before, so will probably go back to them next year and not via a travel agent. This year I am planning to have a cash account and then pay as I go - so I don't leave a debit card.

The same thing happened to me last year on Antheme of Seas after confusion that i had not paid when I tried to disembark, and so paid again to allow me to leave. Then found two completed transactions (not holds!). Took weeks of calling to get the money back. I was given £100 compensation by RCCL on a future cruise. Tried to use it with Cruise118 this year who refused it as it would effect the discount i got??, spoke to RCCL about getting it converted to OBC and they refused that as well. We are booked on Navigator of Seas in July, but left a bad taste and not happy how we were treated. I have always cruised P&O before, so will probably go back to them next year and not via a travel agent. This year I am planning to have a cash account and then pay as I go - so I don't leave a debit card.

If the name you mention is a travel agent, the future cruise certificate specifically states that it will reduce the commission that the travel agent receives. Since the perks a travel agent gives are typically from their commission, it makes sense that they will reduce what they offer you.

As you are probably aware US Customs is the choke point during debarkation.

If a couple of agents call in sick it just takes longer to get through. There is no way to know in advance how many agents will be there.

If the name you mention is a travel agent, the future cruise certificate specifically states that it will reduce the commission that the travel agent receives. Since the perks a travel agent gives are typically from their commission, it makes sense that they will reduce what they offer you.

That was my first thought, too, but he says they "refused" it, because of that. That seems odd. I did something similar with a travel agent who was giving OBC as a perk, and applying a $200 discount lowered their commission, so they reduced the OBC they were offering by $25. Still a net $175 better deal for me.

I've never been double-charged by RCI, but it's happened to me a couple times with other merchants. It's always been an easy thing to rectify, as it apparently was for the OP.

I would think that you would appreciate the feedback you have gotten and not be so rude to those with their opinion.

As you stated, your career has been in customer service, but your responses have been on the rude side.

Have a great day.

This is why people should not post when they are "riled up".

Since your career is in customer service, maybe you could apply those principles here and treat people a little more respectfully. Just a suggestion...:)

Judy

What oft was thought...

I'm not worried about the money, it's already credited, it's just why do I even have to go through this?

I'm so sick of crappy customer service in so many areas of the service industry these days.

I worked in customer service in one capacity or another my entire adult life until retirement (and after, from my home) and before all of this automation we actually answered the phone on the first ring, were trained to do things correctly the first time and to do it politely and professionally.

I am sure you don't want to hear what I have to say.....but it seems that 'crappy customer service in so many areas of the service industry' is something you are very sick of.....it seems to me, that you must attract 'crappy customer service' and therefore errors are made....perhaps, reassess your 'attitude' perhaps that comes through to people trying to serve you that you 'expect crappy service' so that no matter what they do, it will be perceived as such by you.

I can say that the department clarea has directed you to is wonderful. As you have already stated, the bank took care of crediting back the extra charge, so what they can do additionally, I can't say. There must have been other issues on your sailing of Oasis, that is gnawing at you....so sorry for that.

Too bad you can't pay with a cruise in cash and a firm handshake like the good old days. Society has gone way downhill in the last 60 years, I agree.

I could tell where this was going long before it got there.

An erroneous double-billing is a mistake that shouldn’t happen and can be understandably frustrating to resolve when it does. Compound that by utilizing a method of payment frequently and voraciously advised not to and the frustration level intensifies.

Add on aggravation at a crowded and understaffed port with an acquired illness of uncertain origin and unsubstantiated diagnosis and you can see the makings of the perfect storm.

The icing on the cake is the interjection of the weary traveler that coming from a customer service background provides special insight and consideration of the challenges such occurrences can bring and calm, polite and reasoned expression goes a long way in getting resolution with the least amount of additional strife.

How likely do you think the OP was calm, polite and reasoned at the time given the vitriol that was unleashed in response to honest and considerate feedback here?

Karma, baby. It’s bite hurts like a mother.

Judy

Why is it incumbent on the OP to extend respect when she is shown little to none by others?

Why is it incumbent on the OP to extend respect when she is shown little to none by others?

It's not incumbent; it's a choice. You can choose to be a jerk, and you'll find people reacting in kind. You can choose to show respect, and you'll find people reacting in kind. We all have that choice.

Of course, sometimes people will be kind and respectful to you, even if you're a jerk toward them, and vice versa. But, on average, the law of "what's goes around comes around" holds true.

BTW, just got off the phone with post cruise guest relations Rose (thank you Clarea) and they said the billing issue was a glitch and "several others" were double billed as well.

Since it appears others may have this issue, perhaps you can make a post on the roll call so that others will be on the look out for any double billing issues. Glad it got worked out.

M

The one thing that boggles my mind is why, after all the "hacking" and possible mistakes that can occur, do people continue to utilize Debit Cards as opposed to Credit Cards for purchases like this :confused:

Edited by First and Ten