Go Big/Better - am I missing something?

sparkins_mob

I'm pricing out a 10 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise for 2017 and it qualifies for the Big/Better/Best offer.

Our inclination would be to take the drink package as the first perk. Of course they offer to upgrade for only $180 and pick two perks.

So assuming we've already chosen the drink package, the options are:

- $150 per person OBC (and pay $180 per person to get it? Who would pick that?) or

- prepaid tips for two (I believe prepaid tips are now $13.50/day x 10 days = $135, so I would pay $180 per person to save $135 per person?) or

- unlimited internet package for 2 (I suppose theoretically this one would be worth it as I understand the unlimited internet package is $199 for 10 days. In reality though, my husband and I would likely only buy one package and share the device)

I'm really not understanding how any of these perks are considered a deal? In almost all cases I could purchase them myself for cheaper.

I don't think you missed anything. For a 10 day cruise in August, I took the Go Better with drinks and the Internet. Based on the price for Go Best, we saved $230 even after upgrading my wife to Premium Beverage.

Did you do the math right on tipping. Tips are somewhere around $13.50 per person per day. If it is 13.50 x 10 x 2= $270

The OP quoted paying an extra $180 per person for the go better option which works out to $360 for the two guests, as opposed to just paying the grats at $270 for 2.

Did you do the math right on tipping. Tips are somewhere around $13.50 per person per day. If it is 13.50 x 10 x 2= $270

Until things cost more than $15 a day the cruise line wins. It costs $15 to go to the next level so paying $15 for $13.50 is not a good deal.

For my last two cruises (one already taken and the other sailing next year) I booked them when the cost to upgrade to the "better" package and get $150 per person OBC was only $120. That made sense, same cruise today the cost to upgrade to better is $176 for the same $150 OBC.

I guess they are hoping that many of their loyal customers suck at math :p

Usually booking with the perks doesn't make sense unless you drink or want unlimted internet. I seldom drink and never use internet on vacation. Afterall, it's a vacation.

Sometimes, the difference between basic cruise and going big/bigger, best is very small. MY TA tells me when booking with perks makes sense. Last year I booked a week cruise with the perks. They only cost me $100 more than a basic cruise. Got drinks, tips, and $300 OBC. It may have been a promo to bring in more bookings.

Always check prices with and without perks. You might be surprised.

On the UK site,

The perks seem to always be there.

no without perks price, unless booking a guarantee

looks like they are pushing every one to go for the perks

Never phoned up to ask for a quote without perks for a named cabin ( i hate the calls centers we are now directed to in Guatamala or some where they have difficulty with our English accents)

Celebrity did announce that starting in July of this year the tips are going up also. So depending on the length of the cruise and your room type, that may also be a good deal

I don't plan on increasing my tips, I'll have them adjusted to what they were when I booked the cruise. The tips are merely a suggested amount.

I took the $150 PP but for my 15 day cruise it really doesn't cover much.

Bogofman, for a UK comparison, price the cruise on the .com website and then price it on the co.uk website. For my cruise - same cabin - they both include the same OBC but drinks are included in the co.uk site but not the .com site. On the co.uk site the cost is £140 more for two people but the drinks package is included.

That's interesting, I'm from Ireland and always book through US agent. I started, a few years ago, because exchange rate was favourable and ability to get price reductions etc more easily. The perks were normally better too on US site as well as added ta obc. I think for my next cruise though, I'll check .uk and euro sites before booking and not assume they're less good value.

Bogofman, for a UK comparison, price the cruise on the .com website and then price it on the co.uk website. For my cruise - same cabin - they both include the same OBC but drinks are included in the co.uk site but not the .com site. On the co.uk site the cost is £140 more for two people but the drinks package is included.

Do you mind me asking which cruise doesn't include the drinks package on the USA site (I believe this what you mean by the .com site) as a perk? I was under the impression all cruises in an ocean view & above included the BBB pricing? [emoji848][emoji4]

Ignore that request, I believe now you meant the GBP .com site... If so this now makes sense... [emoji4]

Do you mind me asking which cruise doesn't include the drinks package on the USA site (I believe this what you mean by the .com site) as a perk? I was under the impression all cruises in an ocean view & above included the BBB pricing? [emoji848][emoji4]

I thought the same thing (with the exception of transatlantic's and repositioning cruises), until the other day, I found a 6-night/round trip Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse leaving Jan. 2nd and no BBB offered. This was on the Celebrity site.

Edited by bhughey

My guess is most let the travel agents sort it out,

anyone know the commissions on the various BBB.

.com US does seem to have the no frills option and can catch you out if you are logged in or select 55+ as it can offer the less than ideal offer.

.com UK does not reflect UK offers properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Ignore that request, I believe now you meant the GBP .com site... If so this now makes sense... [emoji4]

Yes! Though I'll never know why they have two sites for GBP and that they differ!

Yes! Though I'll never know why they have two sites for GBP and that they differ!

I know, it is a little misleading, but hey it is a celebrity cruise website so I guess anything goes... [emoji33][emoji23]