Rare bird onboard -- Allure OTS

Dumb question from a new cruiser--on a cruise last fall, we saw small birds (finches?) that didn't look like sea birds to me sort of flying alongside the ship outside our balcony. We were hundreds of miles from land. How do those little birds get out there, and where do they land/nest? How far can they fly? Or are they really just using the ship as a mobile base?

(I know nothing about birds.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

• 1 year later...
You need to do a Candid Camera. Stake out the park with your binoculars and have Cheryl video the expressions of people passing by watching you. ;)

Remember to wear your pith helmet and khaki shirt and shorts. Ankle high hiking boots would also be advisable. ;)

Take the free Central Park tour when you are on an Oasis class ship. I did it on Harmony and it was very, very interesting. There is a team of three in charge of the thousands (yes, thousands) of plants on the ship. They are also in charge of pest control, and had several good stories to tell. Like when a sparrow made its way into the MDR and had to be removed. It took hours!

While heading to the Park Cafe today for a roast beef sandwich I was certain I heard the call of a rare woodpecker.

Heading back out this afternoon with my binoculars and will stay on a bench until I spot him !

:D

Tom

Please get a picture and post it.

• 7 months later...
Old thread I know but I saw a lizard on Allure ( central park) today! How would they get there? Can understand birds but a lizard? Impressive feat!

On the CP garden tour the head Gardner explained that they make their way on board as eggs buried in the soil of replacement plants and hatch on board.

Old thread I know but I saw a lizard on Allure ( central park) today! How would they get there? Can understand birds but a lizard? Impressive feat!

Funny you say that. We saw one in 2016. Wonder if it was the same one. It was more like a gecko though.

Saw these birds on the deck 10 balcony railing of Radiance when doing a sea day about 500 miles off shore from Chile, SA. I figured they likely got on the previous day while in port and were staying on until we were close to land at our next port, Callao (Lima), Peru.

601698729_DSC03481(640x428).jpg.16e855359ee001c1d36df10ff9dd17e6.jpg

On a cruise several years ago my wife and I saw a small colorful bird trapped in a corner glassed-in area of the buffet. The bird kept flying into the glass in its attempt to get off the ship.

I managed to capture it and bring it out into the open air and we watched it fly directly towards the island we were just leaving..

Unlike most people the bird seemed to be happy leaving the ship. LOL

bosco

So how long before somebody complains there is a peeping tom in central park? :eek:

Having said that, since the plants are real, I suppose there is an off chance they could attract real wildlife. Can't remember if there are screens over that area or not.

There are always birds in central park on all the big ships