Cannot remove balcony dividers - safety concern?

I just spoke to C&A to find out if it was possible to request the removal of the balcony divider between our adjoining cabins in advance of our cruise.

I expected that they would probably tell me to request this from the cabin attendant once on-board, but what I was told I was not expecting.

I was advised that they no longer do this because it is a safety concern.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Why would it be any less safe than with the divider still up?

It's not the end of the world, but it's something that we were very much looking forward to doing.

When did that go into effect?

I have not heard of that. Not all ships are able to have the dividers - which are similar to a door - opened. And on those ships that can, it has always been up to the Captain as to whether or not the stateroom attendants will be permitted to do it. We have been on ships that can have them opened and have been successful when we asked to have them opened. Try asking on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

From your signature, it looks like you are going on Anthem. Generally, on Anthem, requests to have the dividers opened are usually granted unless there are very rough seas or some other unusual issue.

It's Mariner and Navigator which have the "safety concerns" because the balcony dividers swing open and have to be attached to the railing.

The Freedom/Oasis/Quantum class ships have dividers that slide into themselves (like sliding shower doors) which don't have the same concerns.

The landside people at the call center have limited knowledge of what really happens onboard the ship. Just ask onboard

Edited by DonnaK

I just spoke to C&A to find out if it was possible to request the removal of the balcony divider between our adjoining cabins in advance of our cruise.

I expected that they would probably tell me to request this from the cabin attendant once on-board, but what I was told I was not expecting.

I was advised that they no longer do this because it is a safety concern.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Why would it be any less safe than with the divider still up?

It's not the end of the world, but it's something that we were very much looking forward to doing.

When did that go into effect?

It wasn't necessary to call RCI in advance and expect this to be done prior to you getting into your cabin..this is never an option.....Not surprised at all you got this response...ask your cabin steward once your in your cabins. The divider slides partially back it isn't removed on ships that have this structure option.

From your signature, it looks like you are going on Anthem. Generally, on Anthem, requests to have the dividers opened are usually granted unless there are very rough seas or some other unusual issue.

It's Mariner and Navigator which have the "safety concerns" because the balcony dividers swing open and have to be attached to the railing.

The Freedom/Oasis/Quantum class ships have dividers that slide into themselves (like sliding shower doors) which don't have the same concerns.

The landside people at the call center have limited knowledge of what really happens onboard the ship. Just ask onboard

Thanks Donna!

That's great to hear.

We'll be on Anthem in a little more than two weeks.

I'll ask the attendant once we board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Donna!

That's great to hear.

We'll be on Anthem in a little more than two weeks.

I'll ask the attendant once we board.

While I agree with others that you should not have a problem please do come back after your cruise and let us know your results. We have 2 adjoining (not connrcting) balconies on our upcoming Anthem cruise and expect we will be able to open the divider.

Depends on the ship, the conditions..and what the Captain wants!

Some ships have NO ability to open dividers...some are able to be opened, but they don't always allow it.

It's a SHIP....you would rather be safe, than convenient....right????

We have never had a request turned down.

We will find out on Allure in October as I have two connecting cabins booked for the kids and grandkids. No big deal if they don't as we still have the connecting door.

I do have photographs of the Oasis that shows there are many adjoining cabins that would not appear to be able to open as there is no opening partitions. It appears due to structural design the bulkhead is solid.

They are just reading from a "playbook."

As previously stated, just talk to your cabin steward. S/he will give you the correct story on your particular ship and your particular sailing.

While I agree with others that you should not have a problem please do come back after your cruise and let us know your results. We have 2 adjoining (not connrcting) balconies on our upcoming Anthem cruise and expect we will be able to open the divider.

I'll definitely post the outcome on here.

We set sail on 6/30.

They are just reading from a "playbook."

As previously stated, just talk to your cabin steward. S/he will give you the correct story on your particular ship and your particular sailing.

It may just be a tactic, but the woman at C&A said "I haven't ever had that request, but let me put you on hold and find out".

I'll let you know how it goes after we speak with the steward.

Some ships have NO ability to open dividers...some are able to be opened, but they don't always allow it.

Safety first!

It's not even a convenience/inconvenience. It's more of a nice to have.

Safety first!

It's not even a convenience/inconvenience. It's more of a nice to have.

It's very much a convenience if the people you are traveling with are staying in the next cabin and you don't have a connecting door.

It's very much a convenience if the people you are traveling with are staying in the next cabin and you don't have a connecting door.

Fair point.

What I should have said is for me, it's not a convenience/inconvenience issue.

The demarcation line was the Star Princess fire in 2006. Ships built after that point are required to have partitions that are openable, to assist in fire fighting. As you say, most lines leave it up to the Captain as to how many, and how many in a row may be opened.

We have never had a request turned down.

We will find out on Allure in October as I have two connecting cabins booked for the kids and grandkids. No big deal if they don't as we still have the connecting door.

I do have photographs of the Oasis that shows there are many adjoining cabins that would not appear to be able to open as there is no opening partitions. It appears due to structural design the bulkhead is solid.

Having said what I said above regarding post Star Princess, most ships that had openable dividers would not allow the dividers to be opened if the two cabins are in different fire zones (there is a fire door in the hallway between the two cabins). I suspect that the structural dividers you mention are at those locations, and are the line's way of not having to say no to opening a partition that would breach a fire boundary.

I agree with everyone saying to ask once on board.

I think it is likely you will be accommodated, we usually are.

However, on our recent Serenade cruise they said no and that our cabin could never have that---interesting reading the above post--there was a fire door between our two cabins.

we were also told no once on a sailing that was expecting rough weather and had the steward come and close it mid sailing, again due to bad weather.

The balcony dividers on Radiance class ships cannot be opened.

I guess that would be why then! This was the only sailing on a Radiance ship where we have had adjoining balcony cabins.

We had thought it had something to be with being on the hump.

It wasn't a big issue--just notable as the first and only time we have been told it could not be done when weather/seas were good.

Edited by NHDisneylover

We were on Anthem in Feburary (the sailing right after the one that was truncated due to the big storm). My mother, sister and I had three balcony cabins in a row, and at our request the cabin steward opened up the dividers by the time we set sail. We always find it an easier way to have access to each other's cabins than going out in the hall and coming in the front door.

We just returned home from each a wonderful week aboard the Allure of the seas. Out cabin 9706 and our son's cabin 9708 were right next to each other. When I met our cabin attendant I tipped her $10 and said please keep my ice bucket full and please take the balcony divider down between our two rooms.

No worries, it was done and we had a wonderful week and enjoyed the extra room on our balconies.

We just returned home from each a wonderful week aboard the Allure of the seas. Out cabin 9706 and our son's cabin 9708 were right next to each other. When I met our cabin attendant I tipped her $10 and said please keep my ice bucket full and please take the balcony divider down between our two rooms.

No worries, it was done and we had a wonderful week and enjoyed the extra room on our balconies.

The tip upfront while it was your personal choice to do that...it's not necessary (lots of threads about this :eek:)...Your cabin steward would have been happy to do these things as they aren't an unusual request ;):)